Eggscavated: Wonderland Dizzy Found And Freed

You might scoff at the rude ‘tude of ’90s video game mascots, but ’80s icons were weirder. Consider Dizzy, a puzzle-platforming egg with a face, hands, and feet. You may find it difficult to believe, but Dizzy was once so big that he (or a chap in a Dizzy costume) was lined up to present the 1989 Smash Hits Poll Winners Party – and pulled out after being mobbed backstage by a group of egg-crazed teenagers.

Steel yourselves, girls: Dizzy is back. His creators Philip and Andrew Oliver have rediscovered a Dizzy game they never finished, Wonderland Dizzy [official site], and released it finished-up for free.

As The Oliver Twins explain in the following video, they stumbled across a map for Wonderland Dizzy in a box of eggtifacts they brought to Play Blackpool for a talk about their work. And could not remember if they’d ever released the tweaked and reskinned remake of Magicland Dizzy. Digging around in the loft, they found code for Wonderland Dizzy on NES and sent it over to eggmaniac Lukasz Kur, who got it into working shape. He’s added new modes and features, including two-player, an option for infinite lives, and more languages. Here’s the story of it all:

You can play it in your browser or download to run in your emulator of choice.

And here’s a peek at Wonderland Dizzy:

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Hmmm, let’s see… sincere comment about youth and personal nostalgia… naw…

Egg puns! … Always a winner, but no…

A ha!! I’ve got it! Appropriate song link!

2. AriochRN says:

Please, no egg puns, I find them œuf-ul.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Come now, we all enjoy a witty little yolk now and then.

basilisk says:

This is a weird one. It’s not entirely new; it’s very heavily based on Magicland Dizzy (from what I’ve seen, the map layout is nearly identical), but the puzzles, while similar, are not quite the same. So it’s stuck somewhere halfway between a NES port of an existing game and a new (and not terribly good) one.

Time hasn’t been very kind to Dizzy, I’m afraid.

• DrWayward says:

Thank you! I played a few minutes of this and it felt absolutely familiar, but everyone seems to be reporting / talking about it as if it’s a brand new game.

4. Spacewalk says:

I never liked Dizzy, probably because I’m not British.

• Caiman says:

I am British, and I could never stand the Dizzy games. They seemed amateurish and a bit crap compared with its competition (and there were a lot of similar games around at the time on the Speccy). I could never understand why they were so successful, although in my circle of friends I don’t think more than one of us ever played it. Which added to the confusion about its success. But hey, someone obviously liked them.

• RuySan says:

I’m from Portugal, and i used to love the Dizzy games. Maybe it’s the fact that i was really young when i played them, but the jolly graphics, music and acessible puzzles made an huge impression on me.

And this one really feels like a remix of Magicland Dizzy.

• rustybroomhandle says:

I liked Dizzy just fine.

Now Starquake – there was a great little game!

• sockz says:

Yeah British here and I loved Treasure Island Dizzy on the spectrum. Don’t think I ever got very far though even after years of playing it.

5. BTAxis says:

There are plenty of third-party dizzy games available via DizzyAGE.

6. Jay Load says:

God bless bedroom coders. 115 Dizzy games to investigate! He truly was the Prince of the Yolk Folk.

7. OmNomNom says:

I am eggstatic, I am now scrambling to play this.

8. tomimt says:

Didn’t they try to rise money in Kickstarter for a new Dizzy game a couple of years back, when it looked like any and all nostalgia glazed game heroes would be able to do so?

9. yan spaceman says:

The Oliver twins look like a couple of eggs.

phuzz says:

The first computer we ever had in our house was an Amiga 500. Ours came with two games, F/A-18 Interceptor (a flight sim), and Treasure Island Dizzy.
    We never got beyond the first few screens of Dizzy, it simultaneously combined the frustration of a platformer, with the impenetrable puzzles of an adventure game. In short, as kids it was way too annoyingly hard for us.
    I guess the sprites were cute though.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

*slowly backs away as he realizes this is all far far too British for anyone outside of the UK*

12. Foulplay says:

I had some of the Dizzy games on the Atari STFM, but never liked them much. Turrican 2, Captive and Populous II took up almost all my time instead.

13. Fitzmogwai says:

Magic Knight would have Dizzy on toast any day of the week.