To Your Left A Bit: Battlefield 4’s Community Map Today

MONKEYS! Oh, Internet.

What sort of level would you most like to see in a video game? DICE asked the whole Battlefield 4 [official site] community, and design by committee has produced a spooky jungle map where monkey virus research has gone wrong. That… sounds about what I’d expect.

Hardline may be the shiniest Battlefield around, but 2013’s BF4 is still kicking. For folks more into army men then cops and robbers, an update is out today bringing a new map DICE made based around player feedback and votes: Operation Outbreak.

Today brings the traditional autumn update to Battlefield 4, tweaking and fixing a whole load of things. What’s being changed is secret until launch – in a few hours, I’d imagine – but a DICE chap says the patch notes are 28 pages long, so probably quite a lot. These updates tend to shake up balance a fair bit. I’ll pop in a link here once it’s out.

Launching alongside that is Operation Outbreak, the Community Map Project. DICE threw polls out for players to vote on setting, size, and all that. “In the end, your votes created a jungle map that was highly destructible, infantry focused, and medium-sized,” they say. Then they added bits and pieces and tweaked things based on feedback, such as plopping in a temple. What things we can make when we work together!

The update should download itself, but Outbreak will be a separate download so do watch for that in Origin once the pair hit. Here, have a trailer showing a bit of Outbreak:

And here’s a trailer made for DICE by Battlefans ‘The Two Scotsmen’:

1. OmNomNom says:

Not sure about shiniest, BF4 still looks way better and has about 10x the playerbase.

I’m hoping they’ve just been stalling for time so they can get BF2143 out of the door.

2. PoulWrist says:

I like how much effort they’ve put in to continuing development of BF4. If only they’d start releasing the maps for free to the community. It’s such a shame that the cool expansion maps are almost impossible to find active servers for.

• simulant says:

This. 2 years 5 packs later and I’m still playing on the same 4 or 5 maps and 2 or 3 game types, over and over and over again. Maybe EA could splash out for some official EA servers that have all the maps & game-types.

3. SuicideKing says:

Fan trailer was fun. Almost had a TF2 vibe.

4. Tayh says:

*than
    Also: hurray, infantry maps! -_-
    If people want infantry-shooters so much, why don’t they play one of the dozens of such games already available?
    Battlefield’s charm has always been its seamless mix of infantry and vehicular warfare in large maps. I don’t understand this movement of turning it into a COD clone.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I think even without vehicles Battlefield still provides a very different experience to CoD. I think BF gives much greater teamwork abilities (and requirements), and reinforces these with decent maps.

To me, CoD’s random spawning, the maze-like maps, and the lack of decent teamwork options makes it feel much more just like laser tag with guns.

• Clavus says:

Operation Outbreak is not really that much of an infantry map, it has tank and IFV spawns so there’s a decent mix of stuff.

• OmNomNom says:

I prefer infantry heavy maps in BF too.
      BF isn’t about the vehicles, for me, its about objective based gameplay and vehicles are just a small part of that.
      Imo the best maps are those with just transport vehicles and maybe a single armor unit or scout chopper to throw into the mix.
      Endless streams of armor just turn the game into a low-skill camp-fest, maps like Silk Road where people mostly just camp in corners and dont even bother to cap points.

• OmNomNom says:

I mainly play Rush, but when I do play conquest i prefer 24/32 players max and sometimes infantry only mode.

5. rymm says:

battlefield has always been my ‘there’s nothing i want to play so i’ll play it’ game. stuff like this are just a pleasant surprise for when i do come back.
    i kinda wish that the starwars one was just bf4 re-skinned, i’d like that.

6. xcession says:

Still a little miffed a “community map” is necessary at all, when modding support should have always been on the cards from the start. It’s great that they’ve created this and I’m sure to play it, but it still feels like modder spontaneity and enthusiasm are being kept on a short leash. One map doesn’t compare to the output of BF2’s modding community.

• int says:

Yeah my soul is hurting when I think of all the mods, maps and total conversions that could have been.

7. XxBrentos9xX says:

Can anyone tell me if this is worth playing? Or how big the update is? Don’t have a lot of room on my HD and would rather save it for playing both Deus Ex games again. And I’ve played BF4 for about 20 hours on multiplayer which was about good for me.

8. SlimShanks says:

Give me Bad Company 3 you sick bastards! Get your shit together!

9. tonicer says:

Come on dice just add bots. I’m sick and tired off all those damn cheaters/hackers and retards in this game. It’s a nice game with a really sweet reloading mechanic but the online gameplay is very bad due to afore mentioned stuff.