Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition Is Out

We knew that Divinity: Original Sin – Enhanced Edition [official site] was coming today, so its arrival is no surprise. We knew what to expect too: split-screen co-op; improved graphics; more voice-over; controller support; a reworked story; revamped loot and economy systems; an overhauled skill system; and so on. I’m still impressed looking at the changelist detailing almost 1,300 changes that are now here for Larian’s fantasy RPG – and that’s excluding bug fixes and things too minor to mention.

You go on ahead and download the Enhanced Edition now – it’s a separate download, but free to all Original Sin owners – and I’ll pick over the changelog.

Compiled from changelist items, here’s how I expect my Halloween weekend will go:

– Phantom Forest Revamped
– Created picnic and suntanning art assets
– Soul of desperation
– New status Oiled
– Angry chest. Spits gold and bites.
– Any bottle + hammer = broken bottle
– Thousands of combat cries and variations added
– Bleeding and the Leech talent are still a strong combination, but cannot be abused anymore
– Created Blood Altar
– All ghosts may inflict Chilled status on melee attack.
– Feverish corpse. Explodes when damaged.

Sounds about right.

Wherever you bought Original Sin, you should now find the Enhanced Edition too (well, Mac and Linux versions are still to come). Why is the EE not simply released as a patch? You might want to stick with the old version. You might also want to finish your game, as saves will not carry over. I never finished the original version, running out of steam and losing interest in the main plot thread about 40 hours in, but I’m keen to go back now that it’s fixed up a lot. If I survive this weekend.

Don’t forget Divinity: Original Sin II is coming too, having ploughed through Kickstarter and escaped with $2 million.

Thulsa Hex says:

Split-screen? Seriously? That’s surprising! If it’s implemented well, I may just get this to play through with my wife.

• Sakkura says:

In the demonstration video it looked very dynamic, it just split the screen when they moved a certain distance apart.

Thulsa Hex says:

That sounds pretty great! I’ll have to look into it some more!

• Sian says:

Pointing you to this video where they demonstrate it right at the start:

Thulsa Hex says:

Ah, thank you! That looks pretty good, I have to say. Also, that fellow is… enthusiastic.

2. Aeiou92 says:

They changed the voice of the cheese vendor at the start of the game.

I am sad.

• aircool says:

He sounded like Del Boy… it got really irritating.

• Darloth says:

But nobody had as many friends as the many with many cheeses… :(

• Darloth says:

Man. Ugh, I can’t even type properly. Oh for the edit button, we lament thy loss!

• Earl-Grey says:

I will be overjoyed if it turns out Larian took all those sodding town square merchants out back behind the shed and bashed their vocal cords out through their arseholes.
        GOD HOW I HATE THEM!

And that insufferable woman near the barracks!
        Curse her incessant moaning about her blasted pepper.
        No, it did not sprout legs!
        No, it did not walk away!
        So put a sock in it before I stuff you down your own bleeding cauldron.

They will suffer.
        They will ALL SUFFER!

Woops, got to run, nursey is coming! Ta!

• Karomsir says:

I read that in Jon Irenicus’ voice. :D

• Earl-Grey says:

Incidentally that was exactly who I was channeling!
            It is time for more …experiments.

Irenics came along at a formative time in my life, to say the least.

• bleeters says:

They changed a lot of voices, I noticed. Almost all of them so far infact.

I don’t know how much I like that. Mostly they’re ok, but I did actually much prefer the old character voicesets.

3. Freud says:

One of the very best RPGs in the last few years. Solid, but a bit obscure at the start, gameplay systems and I love Larians complete irreverence for roleplaying traditions. If they want to add a quest or NPC that sticks out because it’s a wink to another universe or cultural phenomena, they never hesitate. Reminds me a bit of King’s Bounty that way.

teije says:

Great stuff! I never finished the original that I was enjoying immensely once I learned this was coming out. Now just to finish my current playthrough of Age of Decadence and I’ll be all over this.

5. Knivy says:

My friend returns!

6. amateurviking says:

I’ve been looking forward to this for a while: my PCs has decamped to the living room and the controller support is going to vastly increase the odds of me being able to put serious time into this. YEAH!

7. ANeM says:

Unfortunately Larian outright refuses to allow “new” customers this option. EE currently lacks Mac/Linux support, which was promised for day one but then got delayed less than a week ago.

As a result Mac users who pledged for the $50 DOS1+DOS2 pack back in late August, people who have been unable to play the game they paid for despite being in a playable state for months, are going to have to wait until mid December for the game.

A response I got from a Larian developer on the Steam Forums stated “The delay to the Mac and Linux versions is regrettable, but those weren’t part of your DOS2 Kickstarter reward anyway, right?”

No, the console versions were clearly not part of the reward, but *actually being able to play the game on my computer* was.

Let’s be honest, the fact I had to wait until the end of October just to get a steam key was a purely arbitrary decision on Larians behalf. The fact that Larian won’t even let me play the original version, and that they pretend like this is out of their control all the while telling me that I “didn’t even pay for those versions” is downright disgusting.

• draglikepull says:

Just to clarify: What specific thing were you promised in exchange for your money that you have not received and don’t expect to receive at some point in the near future?

• ANeM says:

I doubt you actually feel the need for clarity, you’re just trying to be condescending as an attempt to make my problem seem juvenile and misplaced.

Sure, I’ll receive the game eventually. The issue is that I’ve already been forced to wait months for a purely arbitrary reason, and now will have to wait months more again for another purely arbitrary reason.

The issue is that the developer is trying to excuse those completely arbitrary choices by telling me that I literally did not pay for a game that I clearly paid for.

I’m finding an incredible disconnect when people are praising the develope praising for doing the right thing with the whole “free upgrade” thing when that developer and those same fans are turning around to new customers and telling them “well just suck it up and wait until December” purely because of semantics.

• Xzi says:

Making sure everything is working properly is not the same as making “arbitrary choices” to delay you from playing the game.

• ANeM says:

The existing build of Original Sin was, so far as I can tell, working fine on OSX.

The choice to say that people who paid for the game back in September and could play that version right now, were it available to them, should instead have to wait until December purely because of the semantical issue that it isn’t “Enhanced” is arbitrary. It is 100% arbitrary.

• Xzi says:

If you wanted to play D:OS and not the Enhanced Edition, why did you take the roundabout route of buying through the D:OS 2 kickstarter page? You could’ve just bought D:OS on Steam or a Steam key from another site at a low price. Then you could have played immediately, you would have received EE free when it gets released (for Max/Linux), and you could’ve just pledged $20 and got D:OS 2.

I suppose it’s a slight inconvenience, but I don’t see how your specific predicament can really be pinned on Larian, either.

• ANeM says:

At the time all information coming out of Larian pointed towards “everyone” getting both versions. Furthermore, the DOS2 pack was the cheapest option available to get both games, and the stated time for access to DOS1 was not “when EE releases” but “October.”

Given that the campaign ended in late September, October could have just as easily meant “once the KS has wrapped up and payments are processed.”

• ANeM says:

Also I’d like to add (and sorry this takes a second comment, I wish I could edit my previous one)

Even if this is all my own dumb fault, why can’t Larian do any about it? Adding an additional sub to a steam package is sort of trivial.

Given the last minute delay, why couldn’t the extend an olive branch? For clarification: Why has the response been entirely to focus on semantics, why was the official response from a Larian employee to tell me, and rather bafflingly, that I’m not a paying customer?

Yeah, I bought the enhanced edition. Sure, the enhanced edition is delayed. But lets not pretend for a second that it would cost Larian anything to let people play the original version in the meantime.

They don’t have to, certainly, but they certainly didn’t have to imply I didn’t pay for the versions of the game I’d actually be able to play.

• draglikepull says:

“I have to wait a few weeks to play a video game that I’d rather be playing now” does not strike me as a particularly unfair way for a developer to treat a player. Delays are part of software development, and the delay in this case seems to be pretty minor. Sure, the developer could theoretically do something that you’d prefer that was never promised and simply happens to be a thing you want, but as long as they give you what you’ve paid for (which doesn’t seem to be in question) their response seems perfectly fair to me.

• Apocalypse says:

Larian was imho pretty clear that the enhanced edition was part of a few dos2 kickstarter tiers. Not just divinity: original sin, but specifically divinity original sin enhanced edition. Why you assumed that you get the old version immediately is honest beyond me.

There was never any indication for me that they would include the old version with the new edition and they even told everyone that the enhanced edition would have its own steam id and be a separate stand-alone game.

Most likely as well to control their work on different platforms, because a mega patch for vanilla original sin would indeed needed to be deployed to steamplay platforms at once. Now they have extra time to polish and work on 6 different versions of the enhanced edition and do not need to release all 6 at the same time and more importantly do not need to hold back the important console release for ~0.2-2% of their customer base.

Aerothorn says:

I am also confused as to what ANeM has been denied. I backed at that level and it was very clear about DO:EE being a backer reward, not the original DO.

8. Assirra says:

Hmm, now the question.
    Play the enhanced edition or the original? I doubt i will do a second playthrough tough.

• Phenomen says:

of course EE, its better in every way.

• platvoet says:

Same question here. I started a game, but never finished it. I’m still in the first area, but in the lvl 7-8 bit. Which gets kind of tough. However, I think I made it somewhat difficult for myself by choosing the shadowblade and wayfarer class as my mains? So perhaps a restart with the EE version is not such a bad idea…

• jontaro says:

EE has something called “explorer mode for story focused rpg fans” i assume that might mean easier combat.

• platvoet says:

Ah, that mode sounds nice. Maybe I should give that a try then.

It’s just that there are so many (fun) mechanics, that it is a bit overwhelming considering the short stretches of playtime I can put in. I can do 1 battle and then I have to go back to town and stock up on scrolls, potions, arrows (either by simply buying or crafting). And then time’s up. Sort of. And if I don’t play it for longer period of time, I also tend to forget some of the little trics/things/mechanics/…

• MaXimillion says:

The Explorer and Classic modes are renamed versions of the Casual and Normal modes from the original. The only truly new mode is Tactician, which has a ramped up difficulty level with a lot of new monster abilities and tactics.

gritz says:

Ugh, they “rebalance” so much, but don’t fix one of the most glaring flaws: shared point pool for combat and non-combat abilities.

Skill points are so ridiculously precious in this game that you can’t afford to waste them on things like Charisma or Pick Pocket. Better to get those point from gear, and spend your points on more useful things like spell schools or saving throws. Not that the game tells you this- you just have to infer at character creation that your points spent on lockpicking or item identifying are basically being flushed down the toilet.

What a missed opportunity to truly rebalance a terrible character development system.

• Xzi says:

The character development system is fine. You can max out two different combat skill “trees” and still have enough points to max out at least two non-combat skills by the end of the game. It’s as much about creating synergy with different characters’ combat skills as it is about cranking your damage per hit to max, anyway.

In other words, you’re doing it wrong. :p

gritz says:

Not really. To be effective, a fighter has to max out Man-at-arms, a weapon skill, and 3-4 defense skills. You get 49 ability points over the course of the game, and it takes 15 ability points to max out skill. If you are putting points anywhere else, you are “doing it wrong.”

This is basic RPG design. Something D&D figured out 30 years ago when it separated proficiencies and non-weapon proficiencies.

The other thing D&D figured out a long time ago that Larian apparently did not was that unless you give movement and actions their own time resource, you end up with a lot of static fights dominated by ranged units.

• Qiox says:

However, Talent points are overabundant. And in your homestead you can trade Talent points for Skill points at a 9 to 1 ratio.

You can easily afford to trade 1 talent for 9 points on any character. I often trade a 2nd one because the benefits of 9 more points is very significant.

Also, those weapon skills for 10% damage at each skill rank a complete waste of skill points once it starts costing you 3 or 4 or 5 points.

Just make sure you have an at level weapon, sharpen it with a maxed out blacksmith and you are good to go.

Noodlemonk says:

I’ve happily been chipping away at Original Sin for the past year now with two mates (using 4-player co-op mod). It’s definitely one of my fondest gaming moments in the last couple of years. This is no doubt thanks to the whole co-op experience. I’m so glad they’re focusing on 4-player and more user creation for the sequel.

We’ve taken our time and boy it’s been good! While we’re sometimes having trouble making sense of the plot the world the combat and adventure makes up for it ten fold. We’re playing on the harder difficulties, and trying new and silly yet creative things out in a battle is just so much fun.

I believe, we reached the finale last night after ~100 hours, so we’re still looking forward to put and end to it – and spend some time in other games for a change (with Vermintide, Roll20, and all that) – but we’re already discussing the possibility of revisiting Rivelon in the Enhanced Edition sometime in the future.

… Also, I’m a curious how the EE plays out from the couch with a controller while the toddler’s sleeping/crying/pooping in your arms.

• Siimon says:

I never played the original, but now with splitscreen I’m going to play the EE with a buddy. Got any major tips for me? Things like.. If we pick class X and Y, will that make it much more difficult because you really need a class Z in your party? Or can we just go in and do whatever and it’ll all work out just dandy…

Noodlemonk says:

Well, the game doesn’t have set classes, but rather a big amount of pre-sets of your characters early skills. After that you can shape your character whichever way you want. I find this rather nice, since I can still decide to go the Stealthy Two Handed Axeman-route with my otherwise very much wizard-like character a couple of levels in.

The beauty of Original Sin is the sort of chaotic and often random turn based fights, that’s hard to predict. These can result in hilarious or frustrating situations, based on how you approach the game. These things can happen more often, if you choose to use more Area of Effect Spells, where you, say, accidentally freeze, poison or set fire to your buddy. A bit like a turn based Magicka come to think of it… Experiment with different combinations of elements.

That said, it’s always handy to have some shields and healing in your skill list.

• Siimon says:

Thanks for clarifying how the game works. A turn based Magicka sounds pretty amazing haha :)

• Qiox says:

Keep in mind: The editor has not been released yet for the EE. Therefore no mods yet and the mods from the original don’t work. Therefore, for now, only 2 player — not 4.

11. tsff22 says:

I’m running a Cleric and Enchantress (just like in the original), and its pretty fun so far. MUCH better performance, for one.