Fallout 4 Will Be Preloadable Ahead Of Nov 10th Release

You’ll be able to preload Fallout 4 [official site] on Steam ahead of its November 10th release. The exact time and data of the preload have yet to be set, but this is good news if you were planning on taking launch day off work, shipping the kids off to their grandparents, dressing up in Pip-Boy cosplay, and playing Bethesda’s new RPG the moment it launches.

Bethesda PR chap Pete Hines confirmed preloading with a tweet, writing that “We will offer preloading for Fallout 4 on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Exact day/time TBA. All should be available a few days before launch day.” Look, I can prove it:

One of my fondest games-related memories is going into an office early with two friends so we could start playing simultaneously at the 8am launch of Half-Life 2: Episode 1. That wouldn’t have worked if we couldn’t have pre-installed it, ready to be thrilled at returning to Alyx and slightly frustrated by those over-long City 17 street sections in unison. Preloading isn’t available for every game however, which is why it’s worth noting when it is.

If you’re planning on buying Fallout 4 on disc, don’t think this doesn’t affect you: even disc copies of the game will require some measure of download from Steam. Wastelands need a lot of textures.

1. AskForBarry says:

Yeah, I’m not paying for anything I haven’t seen yet.

Lesson learned…

• Awesomeclaw says:

Yeah, I’m a big Fallout and Bethesda fan but I still won’t be pre-ordering, or buying the game at all until I see some reviews. I’m not really concerned about whether the game will be good, but more as to whether it’ll be an unplayable buggy mess at launch.

• Chmilz says:

Forget buggy. As a lifelong TES and Fallout player, Witcher 3 completely threw those out the window and brought us a new level of game. Fallout 4 needs to bring something revolutionary to the table from Bethesda, otherwise I’ll wait for the 2016 Winter sale gold box for $4.99

• Babymech says:

How does that even work? Does the revolutionariness of the Witcher tide you over so that you don’t want to be entertained by other efforts for 12 months or so? Or is it so desensitizing that you can’t enjoy anything else now?

• gabrielonuris says:

If you play the Bethesda’s RPGs, then Witcher 3, and get back to Bethesda’s, would be like being born poor, getting rich, and then getting poor again.

• wraithgr says:

Or maybe his standards for what merits picking up on launch vs grabbing in a sale have changed… Doesn’t have to work for you if it works for him..

For me, my backlog is so enormous that I probably won’t pick this up for full price either…

• Stevie Lee says:

I didn’t really see anything revolutionary in Witcher3; I played through once, tried the new game+, but was so bored I just couldn’t do it again. The constricted linear plot, coupled with lack of interesting side quests or dynamically generated content ultimately means little replay value. The story and character development was good, graphics and stability excellent, but for me sandbox, ability to easily write mods for it, and replay value are most important.

• Awesomeclaw says:

That’s only true if you in any way enjoy the Witcher games. I do not.

The Borderer says:

Pre-ordering a Bethesda game just sounds like a bad idea in general. I might buy it in time to survive Christmas, if most of the obvious bugs have been fixed.

• Nickerus says:

Idgaf about bugs,its Fallout so Ill be pre-ordering. Plus even if it is buggy atleast Ive got a Fallout 3 download for my Xbox 1

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Depends.

But then you probably don’t care and that’s fine, though whoever wanted a new Fallout for as long as i did will probably understand why i’m still counting the days.

It’s all down to personal taste but there’s still an objective difference between games produced to be cash cows and careful works of passion like TW3, Fallout and so on.

This off course unless i misunderstood you and you’re simply afraid of launch day issues.

• schlusenbach says:

If the public hasn’t seen and played a game, there’s always a risk in preordering. X Rebirth was supposed to be “a careful work of passion” and the trailers looked great, but it was a buggy, unplayable mess. Arkham Knight should have been great, but no.

For Witcher3 I’ve seen hours of gameplay weeks before release and a dozen youtubers were praising the game. It was quite sure that it would be great.

But for Fallout4 we’ve seen a few trailers and nothing comparable. I hope it will be good, but spending 60€ on my expectations alone? Only to play the game a few days earlier?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Hype can’t be explained with reason. Well, it can, and the explanation indees is that it’s stupid.

Your points are valid, my hype is just too high!

I was merely trying to comfort myself i guess, because i still stand by the idea that i’m not just preordering the next annual turd.

I think there’s still a reasonable way to gauge the amount of risk involved on a case by case basis although Batman was a big surprise, i can give you that. X-Rebirth though was to be considered riskier considering how the whole story went, including a basically resurrecting studio.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Also, between FO3 and NV, with both having their pros and cons, i ended up being incredibly satisfied and playing both of them for hundreds of hours, without detecting a particular negative trend with the franchise that could possibly make me wary about how another sequel might turn out.

I’d say whoever feels like me is in the clear with this one.

• LexW1 says:

If I’d bought FO:NV at release I’d likely have been a bit disappointed as it was super-super-hyper-ultra-buggy. As it was, I waited for quite a while, they fixed the bugs, and then I actually enjoyed it a lot.

I am slightly skeptical of FO4 because they don’t really seem to have let anyone play-play it, like not even for 30 minutes (AFAIK), so I’m wondering about bug levels.

• anHorse says:

“If you’re a big fan of the latest Fallouts and Elder Scrolls, even if sometimes it’s cool and hip to hate them, there’s quite a big difference in preordering the next Fallout after a long hiatus rather than splurging for the next COD, AC or even playing the dreaded “Colonial Marines” card everytime the word “preorder” pops out.”

Um have you actually played a Bethesda game at launch? Literally every time they’ve been broken on release

Qazinsky says:

I have personally played every Elder Scrolls and Bethesda Fallout since Morrowind within three days of launch, usually release day and never had these big and gamebreaking bugs in any of them, small graphical or weird glitches, sure, but nothing major. I know that everyone seem to think that Bethesdas games falling apart at launch is everyones experience, but it’s probably the good old “people with complaints post those, people that enjoy the product see no reason to comment about that” bias you usually see in comment sections.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Barring the heaviest bugs on the very initial days of New Vegas perhaps, i’d say my experience was overall decent, even if still suboptimal.

Such things would still never encourage me to wait months for a game i love and enjoy so much though. They’d really have to fuck up more than they ever did, at least 5x as much, and in a broad spectrum of scenarios to disappoint me to the point of hating the very idea of touching the game before it’s fixed.

I’m 98.7% sure this won’t happen.

• Turkey says:

Probably a good idea to be extra cautious this time since it’s Bethesda’s first game built for the Xbone and PS4.

• Erayos says:

Bethesda’s first game on Xbox was Morrowind, and Bethesda first game on Xbox 360 and PS3 was Oblivion, aka the best two of their games IMO. So it’s not a new situation, I expect they’ll do as usual, with only a few non-gamebreaking bugs.

• Terminal Boy says:

Agreed. I’ll buy my copy after reviewers I trust have played it.

2. check engine says:

I’ve actually already pre-ordered. Not a big fan of the concept, but the school I work at has the 11th off for Veteran’s Day, while the school my wife works at and the kids go to does not. Basically I’ll have 8 hours to myself on the 11th and I know forty minutes into my freedom I’ll be buying Fallout 4 on Steam. Might as well pre order and get is all ready and installed on the 10th and save myself four hours of thumb twiddling download time on the 11th.

• SanguineAngel says:

/This/ post makes me smile

(Silly comments system)

• Plake says:

Even with the preload, GTAV took several hours to download the last few kb’s…

3. SanguineAngel says:

This post has made me smile.

• SanguineAngel says:

ah for the ability to edit a post or for my reply to go where it’s supposed to.

In any case, I detect faint excitement at the back of my head I’ve little intention of playing £40 for most games as it is and no intention of paying £40 for a Bethesda game sight unseen.

4. suibhne says:

The real problem isn’t whether FO4 will be worth playing, but whether it’ll be worth playing at launch, unmodded.

Anyway, how is the game’s preloadability actual, you know, news? Pretty much all mainstream games are preloadable on Steam – it’s kind of amazing to me that Zeni’s marketers have successfully parlayed this tidbit into yet more earned media.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, I always wait months before getting any Bethesda game. Learned my lesson with Oblivion. It’s pretty bad having to wait for the UI to get redone into something workable. But it’s better than having to play the UI those Bethesda guys think is reasonable. If I was really patient I’d wait for the Goty version to go on sale.

• Herr_C says:

OMG, the UI Skyrim! The horror, the horror…

Every time a patch was released for Skyrim I stopped playing for a few days until the SKSE was updated and SkyUI was fully functional again. So yeah, I’m not buying F4 if the UI is again that bad. Or until someone makes a SkyUI for F4.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Depends what you seek with mods.

If you seek gameplay and balance ones, who knows, but if you meant graphics mods i’d say this game is not in desperate need of them compared to the previous ones.

For the first time proper lighting ( PBR, volumetric lighting )and so on are already built in, which is good because those things can hardly be modded in, and ENBs are not an answer for some underlying technical limitations of previous engine iterations.

The only graphical thing easy to mod in is textures, which is fortunate because you don’t necessarily need official mod support for that, people always find a way around that.

• suibhne says:

Arglebargle got my meaning, above. The most essential first mods for any TES/FO games from Bethesda are always interface mods, because their PC interfaces are reliably atrocious. And those mods typically appear within a week or two of launch, tho it might take a few months to get more mature interface mods.

• Nasarius says:

It is a little odd that even a number of sites which I hugely respect are still in the habit of publishing some fairly uninteresting press releases. I know people are interested in Fallout 4, but really all the videos and now this are just advertising from Bethesda.

5. Marclev says:

Bitten way to often to go buying things without having seen the play tests.

But wait, does this mean that RPS is now in favor of per-purchasing all of a sudden?

• Marclev says:

Meant to write “pre-purchasing” of course. Can’t there be an edit button?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

There’s a difference between not condemning it as the most atrocious of sin and being in favor i’d say.

6. blackmyron says:

Eh, Steam’s refund policy works – if it really is as bad as the isomorph purists make it out to be, back it goes.

• epeternally says:

Only works if you buy from Steam, and gives that you can get this for 22% off on GMG right now or 37% off on the grey market, there’s a pretty big incentive not to if you’re going to preorder. Unless you’re that sure you’re going to need the option to refund that it’s worth paying 25% more.