First-Person Swabber: Viscera Cleanup Detail Released

When spacethings go spacewrong, call in a spacehero like Ian Doom to spacekill everything. Once that swaggering spacemurderer is done, though, you need the help of a real specialist: you need the Viscera Cleanup Detail [official site].

It’s been a few years since I first picked up my trusty spacemop and bloodbucket in a prototype to clean up scenes of spacehorrors, long enough that I’d forgotten was still in Early Access. But it is. It was. I’ve only just noticed – and been surprised – that RuneStorm’s first-person swabber officially launched on Friday.

Viscera Cleanup Detail puts you in the rubber boots and overalls of those heroes who sweep though after the hero, mopping up puddles of blood, collecting and incinerating torn guts and severed limbs, picking spacerifle bullet cases out of hard-to-reach corners, and generally making everything spick and span so folks can return to work. You’re armed with tools including a delightfully floppy mop, buckets for rubbish and soapy water, a broom for sweeping, a plasma welder to smarten up damaged metal, and so on. But if you’re not careful you’ll end up trailing bloody footprints around, cleaning with dirty water, accidentally burning things, and so on. Properly cleaning a level can be a real challenge. You get to write reports too.

That might sound tedious, but it’s quite delightful – especially in co-op. Here, read Pip and I’s chat, or coo at its place on our list of best co-op games.

Viscera Cleanup Detail is out on Steam for £6.69 thanks to a launch discount. Here’s the launch trailer:

RuneStorm say that now they’re finishing up a Mac version, and working on DLC including something Halloweenie. They’d like to merge the old Santa’s Rampage and Shadow Warrior spin-offs into the main game too.

1. xcession says:

Awesome, it has Event Horizon references! Sold!

2. Kollega says:

I haven’t actually played Viscera Cleanup Detail, but what I would pick up in a heartbeat is a similar game about fixing things in space after some space marine’s rampage through the hordes of monstrous aliens and killer robots. Think Dead Space 1, but without the monsters.

• Jekhar says:

Well, VCD is really mostly about cleaning, although you have some small additional tasks like welding bullet holes and restocking medstations.

3. Pink Gregory says:

I’ve seen both Adam and Joe and now Lee and Herring references on this website in the last month.

You’re good people.

4. disperse says:

SS13 janitor job in 3D?

This is relevant: link to youtu.be

5. Shazbut says:

Ian Doom.

Never change, Alice.

6. BigPrimeNumbers says:

Very cool, been watching this game for a while now. Looks like they’re finishing up the Mac version of the game as well, so that’s a win.

7. Orageon says:

Do you know if there is some kind of story line ? like a trail of clues gotten while cleaning that lead to something on a bigger scope ?
    It looks fun but I would love it if there was some interesting story thread binding the whole thing together.
    Or a mission where you clean compartment by compartment, following directly the firefight from the previous room or so.

• tranchera says:

There are plenty of clues regarding what exactly happened in each level. All casualties have names and most have a personal log you can find near the dead body (you get extra points for identifying them all and making notes on how they died). There isn’t a huge lore to dive into, but enough to keep you intrigued in each level (although I can’t say it’s terribly well written). There is also a chain of secrets through the levels that you can find that help you unlock something special.

I would prefer a proper like, “campaign” and progression through the levels but maybe we can see something like that through DLC and content updates. It does feel a little bit more like a tech demo sometimes. I would say if you have friends who are willing to play with you definitely pick it up, it’s fun to fuck around and get a job done.

8. Kododie says:

Well I have some kind of mini viscera cleanup that I got with my copy of shadow warrior, I think it’s just a level or two but I never tried it tho.