No Man’s Sky Set For June 2016, Contains Rutger Hauer

Yesterday, in front of a packed crowd of Sony PlayPeople, an exciting new space video announced that No Man’s Sky [official site] would be launching in June 2016. A quick calendar consultation will confirm that June 2016 is not as near as you might have hoped but, despite the PS4 focus of the event, there’s no reason to believe that the confirmation of a same-day (or thereabouts) PC release has changed in the last few months. At least 216 days ’til launch, then. For now, you can watch the Rutger-narrated video, below.

No word on the current status of Orion’s shoulder from Mr Hauer but it is good to hear his voice. Adds a certain gravity to the footage. And is it just me or does the video look a bit more weighty on all fronts? Sure, the focus on discovery is still there but combat, fleets and robotics seem to be crowding procedural critters off the stage. Maybe that’s for the best – with so long to wait, there’s plenty of time to inject some of the mystery back into the procedural planets and their inhabitants rather than dangling them in front of our eyes in every new trailer.

I’m still not sure what to make of No Man’s Sky and can’t shake the memories of Spore out of my head whenever I think of the possibilities this vast undiscovered place holds. That said, I’m one of the people who actually likes parts of Spore. I’m glad that I’ve played it and wish that some of its better ideas had been picked up and pushed farther.

Whatever No Man’s Sky eventually is, I’ll be playing it as soon as I possibly can and I’m happy to wait.

1. InfamousPotato says:

I wish Spore had received a proper sequel. In my head, I categorize it with other beautiful, if slightly broken, games like Alpha Protocol, which were flawed, but unlike anything else out there.

• Kollega says:

I second this, with a slight addendum: to me, the most fun parts of Spore were the editors and the terraforming. So what I’d want from a proper sequel or spiritual sequel to Spore is to ditch the more “gamey” parts and just focus on being able to create extravagant planets, species, and technologies in a vast galaxy of boundless possibility, preferably while keeping some “heft” to the tools (stuff like using comets for terraforming, for example).

• Cinek says:

For me the most fun part was the microbe one – where the shape and characteristics of your creatures were something that greatly influenced gameplay. After that it didn’t matter if your creature was a sphere with tiny legs and eyes or a copy of human – results were the same (pretty much the only thing that mattered was diet).

Also spore prototypes were very interesting, IMHO more fun than the late stages of the actual, released game. Eg. in one of them they had a simplified simulation of the ecosystem, with various life forms reproducing, and populating continents, or dying out and being replaced by others, some life forms thriving on the deserts while others in tundra, it was something you never could see in the final game itself.

The potential Spore had was immerse. And yet the only part that somehow got close to realizing it was the first, cellular stage.

X_kot says:

The cellular-level game was fun, although I liked it better when it was called flOw.

2. AirRaid says:

I wish people would stop comparing NMS to Spore. Spore’s problem was that it promised this huge game with loads of cool stuff to do, and then delivered on basically none of it. NMS has the opposite problem where they haven’t really shown or promised much beyond a huge universe, and people are assuming it’ll have all these features. But they both used procedural generation so they’re the same right?!

• Artist says:

But dont you see the similarities?
      NMS, like Spore before, is overpromising with their vasteness of possebilities.
      NMS, like Spore before, shows only hype trailers without showing off any deeper gameplay. Also they just iterate over the same feature over and over again: Huge, procedural universe.
      From what I see right now I can promise you that NMS will not become much more than shiny but dull. Might be the right thing for the console crowds, but PC players will probably crave for more.
      Hate to say it, but Im sure that NMS will be a dud!

• AirRaid says:

And I think that people who say Hello are not showing “deeper gameplay” are entirely missing the point of the game. It’s literally about exploring cool new worlds. There’s some trading and combat and stuff, but the meat of the game is exploration. Finding cool new shit and going “hey that new shit is cool!” I get it that a lot of people won’t be interested in that, and that’s fine, there are other space games out there which will offer all that. There’s loads of people looking forward to just exploring all this stuff though.

• Artist says:

Believe me – you will be surprised how fast this gets you to the “been there, done that”-stance!

• Javier says:

Except that the point is that they are not overpromising AT ALL. The devs never get tired of repeating what exactly the game is about so that people later on are not disappointed. They are basically doing all they can to avoid another Spore scenario. If you ever make the mistake of assuming the game is deeper than anyone involved up to this point has ever claimed it to be, then you are the only one to blame.

I’m planning to get this game the day of release and invest 20 or 30 hours getting to the center of the galaxy. I don’t expect more than wonderful sights all around, a ramping difficulty as I get closer and some grinding for the resources required for upgrades so I can continue moving on. This is exactly what has been said the game will entail numerous times, and if you need more than this, that’s okay, many people do, and that’s what those other much deeper wonderful space sims that are popping up these days are for. Just don’t make the mistake of believing anyone ever tried to compare this to Elite Dangerous, because so far, they haven’t.

phuzz says:

The console crowds want fun just as much as the PC gaming master race do.

3. ribby says:

I think it’ll at least be interesting to see how much variety there is in the life-forms of different planets… Will there be just slightly different types of mammal, fish, bird ect on each planet or could I go to a planet where giant green Jelly-fish float through the skies?

• AirRaid says:

There’s been some video of cool weird flying creatures already actually. Floating green jellyfish are certainly on the cards.

• jon_hill987 says:

You are thinking too small. Jellyfish is relatable to an earth organism. To be truly different you would have to describe it without involving any existing creature, words like teeth, claws, tentacles, skin should be meaningless as we struggle to find new words to describe this lifeform.

• ribby says:

Eh, I don’t need my aliens to be thaaaat alien.

Something like the things encountered in the Long Earth series would be good enough for me- but that’s pretty alien

I want an entire crustacean based ecosystem, weird spaghetti microbe ecosystems ect

• jon_hill987 says:

To be fair, the lifeform encountered at the end of the first book was pretty damn alien (not read the others yet, no spoilers please).

• Sebastião Junior says:

I’ve only one objective in this game, find our lord and savior, the flying spaghetti monster

Harlander says:

A creature with no parts that can be analogised to the structures known about in Earth life is going to be pretty hard to imagine… Especially, I think, if you disallow “skin”…

4. MrDreadlock says:

Good voice and good timing. Yesterday I’ve rewatched Blade Runner

5. Skeletor68 says:

If I can get the kind of atmosphere I get from Elder Scrolls games, where half of my enjoyment is wandering around interesting landscapes with a nice soundscape then I’ll likely love it. The difference is that Elder Scrolls has an awful lot more hand-placed content so it will be a serious challenge for NMS to maintain engaging variety across procedurally generated worlds.

6. Simon_Scott says:

Much of the worries that parts of the community have been voicing is that outside of tagging creatures and bumming around in space there hasn’t been a great sense of Things To Do. There’s a list of things the game will have over on the PS site (I suffer to find out stuff), which talks of factions and territorial wars that you can get involved with or ignore.

I suspect that despite protestations to the contrary, they’ll eventually concede and introduce some kind of social, meet up with friends kind of mechanism. I think Elite: Dangerous lives or dies for many people on the ability to hang out with friends, so avoiding it seems like a mistake.

Personally I’ll be happy if we can take high-end screengrabs to share. And the June 2016 release date means I can get my fill of E:D’s planets before I see blue (purple, or orange) skies again.

7. Cinek says:

They’re turning it into the action game now? Mechs, robots, large space battles… well, no wonder they need another half a year.

• eightohnine says:

Those mech and probes are called Sentinels and supposedly serve as a “police force” of sorts throughout the universe. In a gameplay vid from a few months back (link to youtube.com), they showed off how the Sentinels took insult to the player shooting local fauna and started attacking him. There even was a wanted level indicator. So yeah… not very inspired.
      It just feels like “we have this amazing tech, but we aren’t managing to make it a fun game – outside of eyecandy – so let’s slap on some resource collecting/light combat/exploration bonus-systems to give the player a little raison d’être”. And even these systems feel more like an afterthought than solid and entertaining gameplay components.

• clippa says:

To be fair, they had to do something. Since the internet decided that this is the second coming, people have been getting disproportionately hyped for what is essentially a walking simulator.

People have built this game up into a lot of things that it isn’t so to avoid the inevitable disappointment and a massive backlash, it looks like the devs have thrown some hastily half-baked traditional gameplay at the problem.

• eightohnine says:

To be fair, people merely (gladly) hopped on to the hype-train set up by Sony – back then fiercely battling it out with Microsoft for next-gen console dominance and in search for an exclusive platform title, giving the devs financial support and a spot at the Sony E3 2014 press conference (afaik, a first for a indie developer).
        So, on one side an initial win for the devs and Sony, but also a huge self-inflicted burden.

• eightohnine says:

Oops, I wasn’t trying to mock you with the same “To be fair” opener. Realised the repetition right after I submitted my comment.

• clippa says:

Ah, so it’s a fight you want, is it?
            Yeah, I was replying directly to cinek and your post went up before mine so it looked like I was going “to be fair, (pretty much the same thing that you said).” which looked like I was a bit special.

8. Sgt_Big_Bubbaloola says:

Well if they announce that this will have support for the PS4 VR thingamebob, then that will be the ONLY reason for me to consider getting a PS4.

• draglikepull says:

I very strongly suspect that the reason it’s been delayed until June 2016 is that Sony wants to bundle it in with their headset as the “killer app” to help sell people on VR.

I mean, the game basically seems to be done, and Hello Games said earlier this year they were about to announce a release date but had to cancel at the last minute for reasons they couldn’t talk about. All signs point to Sony pulling some strings.

• MJones says:

Same here. I’d buy a PS4 and headset for this. I’ve already been looking at what other VR stuff is in the pipeline for the PS4.

I’m thinking the delay is VR related or they’ve been looking at the criticism Elite Dangerous has been getting (they’d be mad not to) and are fleshing out their gameplay. Probably a bit of both.

JiminyJickers says:

Owww!! That is like forever and forevers away.

10. Captain Deadlock says:

Have followed this game with interest since before the hype engine cranked up and I still don’t have a very well defined sense of what the *game* actually is. I want to believe it’s going to be fun and absorbing but after the utter misery of Elite: Dangerous, I’m once bitten. Also, gorgeous planets, but does space have to be so lurid? It’s like the “orange space” of Homeworld 2, on acid.

11. int says:

I have seen a hitcher.
    I have seen a blind man wield a katana.
    I have seen a poor man with a shotgun.

• clippa says:

I have seen blade runner
      I have seen flubber 2 “son of flubber” (not as good as the first one)
      I have seen bigfoot and I have seen the Hendersons

• AyeBraine says:

Rutger Hauer is so kind, generous and funny! I’ve watched behind the scenes for Hobo with a Shotgun, where he was the soul of the crew. Then I learned he hosts his own festival and a website for aspiring filmmakers. Then he also simply dropped by to say a few words to Moscow viewers who got a theater showing of Blade Runner (DCP but insanely crisp and mind-blowingly beautiful) – and he just was in the city that day by accident!

12. OmNomNom says:

In space, no man can hear you pink.

13. Darth Gangrel says:

Oh yes, wonderful shameless Blade Runner reference with the title of that trailer. In this day and age, you could perhaps paraphrase it like this:
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Comment sections aflame off the shoulder of the Steam forums. I watched marketing beams glitter in the dark near the Hype gate. All those moments will be lost in time… like MMO’s shutting down… Time to die.

• P.Funk says:

The sad thing is that your little pastiche is much better written than the anemic garbage that followed the grotesque theft of that iconic line.

14. Turkey says:

Welp. Wish they hadn’t made him do a pastiche of his blade runner speech. That was kinda gross.

15. DevilishEggs says:

I’m personally waiting for more footage of forests. I consider myself a connoisseur of ingame woodlands.

16. c-Row says:

If there will ever be another entry in the Civilization series (and we all know it will) Firaxis should definitely book Rutger Hauer to narrate the science screens now that Mr. Spock is unavailable.

17. king0zymandias says:

I really hope the discovery of life doesn’t become completely trivial. If every planet of every system has life then exploration will feel like meaningless grind. Finding life should be an awe inspiring occasion.

• theslap says:

I agree. I feel like I would prefer a much more lonely, isolated version of space (closer to reality) than what they’ve portrayed here. I wouldn’t mind if it was entirely an exploration game if I could visit volcanic planets, ice worlds, mountainous craggy landscapes, water worlds, and fly through a gas giant.

Seems like large animals are everywhere, literally different species standing next to each other in some of these videos, which just doesn’t seem realistic at all. If I crash landed in a jungle on Earth, is very likely that I’ll see a monkey, a panther, and a snake walking around right next to each other?

• Jerkzilla says:

Also agree. And you have a friggin ship that can travel at relativistic speeds. You’d think they wouldn’t feel the need to flood the entire surface with a uniform mix of fauna, in case you decide to walk everywhere. Though, looking at some more gameplay videos, the draw distance seems awfully short, so aerial safaris may not be the best way to observe majestic bipedal thingies.

• king0zymandias says:

I am really hoping that the crowded nature of the worlds shown in the previews were simply the developers trying to show off the creatures and the terrain. However, I have a creeping suspicion that this is how it will remain and the devs will instead try to explain the overabundance of life with some lore about an ancient galaxy spanning civilization that came up with a way to create, nurture and protect life and bio-diversity in every system. Hence the presence of the sentinels everywhere.

18. Suits says:

Gaat lekker Rutger

19. MJones says:

Here’s a fascinating interview with Sean and 65 Days of Static about the in game music, the ‘infinite’ soundtrack, and how music inspired a lot of Sean’s thinking about the game –
    link to youtu.be

I get such a good vibe from Sean Murray, and fair play to him for having the balls to give his team the time they need to make the thing they want to make.

20. Doubler says:

I have many hours spent playing Noctis, a game where the only things to do besides picking a point of light, exploring what’s there and documenting your findings was catching birds and trying to make ludicrous low gravity jumps across massive craters :P
    I think exploration is enough for some people at least, as long as it feels right. In this I hope NMS’s crowded space can convey that as well as Noctis’ near constant loneliness.

21. vecordae says:

The title to this article is fundamentally misleading.

Nothing can contain Rutger Hauer.

22. racccoon says:

Spore was one of those experiments that game devs should of kept to themselves, as it got to a done this, done that, point, it wasn’t anything but a creator, and should of remained on the devs desktop as a tool, not a game.
    Hence, the reason why when we see games with this sort of character & we believe in it to be of that formation.