Rocket League DLC Adds Massive Balls, Square Balls

Car-wot-plays-football smash hit Rocket League [official site] is the gift that keeps on giving. And I don’t mean simply that the next downloadable content is free, but also that it continues to ramp up the game’s signature ridiculousness. Next month sees the addition of Mutators, a loving nod to the Unreal Tournament feature of the same name, with which you can remix RL matches into something a little stranger. Make the ball gigantic, for instance, or square. Make it into a giant ice hockey puck, or a low-gravity Moonball. Make it faster, make it explode. It’s the obvious add-on for Rocket League in a way, and it costs no-pennies.

More will be revealed a little closer to the time, including in a livestream tomorrow, but in the meantime here’s a megamix video of broadly what to expect:

That’s out sometime in November, and will include a new playlist called “Mutator Mashup” which essentially offers a random mix of the new modes – though obviously you can alternatively pick and choose which Mutators you want in a match yoursef. An additional Mutator, known as Hockey Mode, will also follow in December.

1. benexclaimed says:

Yessssssssssssssssss

2. oWn4g3 says:

The really keep delivering what people want. Amazing devs that deserve all the success they are having.

3. int says:

A load of old sloblock!

4. Marblecake says:

Gotta love those guys. It’s definitely my game of the year.

5. scottb says:

Did I see number of balls as an option?

6. daphne says:

I’m continuously impressed by how well these guys approach DLC. These additions would have been fair deals even with a modest price tag.

7. moms says:

If this game had Workshop, I would create a wider, taller bumper for my vehicle.. because, no matter how round, square, or gigantically sloblock shaped, I always just miss hitting the damn ball.

8. Reapy says:

Random thought: does too much gameplay variation mess with the player base? People start to develop over time different views of what is fun and/or the right way to play, (GRAVITY AT 3.005 not 3.006!!!!!!!!!). I guess the player base of rocket league is big enough to handle the fracture that’ll happen with so many variants, but I sometimes wonder if giving out too many options in multiplayer games is the right move.

It might be better to unleash different modes, like ‘frozen square ball’ or what not to keep you from landing in games with weird and unfun settings.

• Xzi says:

Well you’re always going to have the player base split in to ranked vs casual, with some people that play both. This doesn’t really change that.

• tranchera says:

I doubt there’ll be an option to queue up for random setting games. There’ll probably be a playlist of weirder game modes as “featured” game modes and the options will be available to fuck around with in custom games.

• nib13 says:

The player base won’t be divided because there is just going to be one added game mode with all of the different variations appearing randomly each game. Though you can pick specific settings in private matches.

9. darkhog says:

While I agree that this is a great addition to an already great game, I must inquiry about the price in Polish Zloty. I’m not very rich, if not for Kinguin, I couldn’t even afford base game so the price is very important point for me.

• KeenBread says:

M8… It literally says it’s free all over this article.