Skelesaurs! Ark: Survival Evolved Celebrating Halloween

We do post about Ark: Survival Evolved [official site] an awful lot for an Early Access multiplayer sandbox survival game (of which there are oh so many), but that’s mostly because it keeps adding fancy cool things. This post? This is about how its Halloween update has spooky skeletal dinosaurs roaming around, a giant fire-breathing DodoRex to fear, pumpkins to carve, and other eerie additions that are difficult for me to ignore. Look at these cool things:

What are you seeing there? Developers Studio Wildcard explain it all, but basically the next week has longer nights and shorter days, hordes of bats and spiders and other traditionally spooky creatures, a very new spooky creature in a giant DodoRex with its flock of tameable zombie dodods, Skelesaurs to fight, new items to craft and collect including costumes, hats, and masks, and more. You might find Ark game codes to give your pals free copies too.

I am still impressed by how frequent – and large – Ark’s updates are. Most Early Access survive ’em ups lose steam quickly, but it looks like Ark might make good on its plans for a full release on June 2016. Early Access is about more than simply adding content, mind, and I don’t have a good sense for the state of Ark’s underlying systems. How’s it going, folks who have given it a good play?

1. Bashmet says:

I really don’t have too many complaints with this game. They could up and leave it as is and I’d probably sink many more months into it. That’s also thanks to the mods.

Best played with small group of friends on private server.

2. darkath says:

Main concerns are the performances issues, lag and server issues, rubberbanding etc.
    Also lack of auto-update combined with their frequency and lacks of schedule makes server administration a head-ache.
    Then there’s balance issues. PvP simply doesn’t work when the most efficient tactic is to raid your opponents at night and blow their base with C4.

3. It's not me it's you says:

Lovely game, lovely updates. For a concept that seems so bulletproof (survival! With dinosaurs!) it’s almost insane it’s taken this long to actually get a good ‘un, but it is.

• It's not me it's you says:

I should clarify I play PvE with some friends on a private server. I think there’s some body parts I’d rather lose than play this game PvP.

4. hollowroom says:

Is the single player any good?

• Cinek says:

If you set it to your liking – it’s great. Sunk over 50 hours into that in a first few days. But from what I seen people struggle with getting it set up in the way they like (usually complaining that it’s either too grindy or too easy) and get rather poor/frustrating experience.

• badmothergamer says:

I’ve put in 260+ hours exclusively in single player. You can easily tweak the settings if you find it too grindy or tames taking too long. Plus they’ve issued enough performance updates at this point that I’m now getting a solid 50-60fps on my 970.

• hollowroom says:

Thanks for the replies. I liked the look of this, but don’t know anyone who I can play it online with. Might check it out while it’s on sale.