Dakka Dakka: Battlefleet Gothic – Armada’s Orks

Orks should not be allowed to pilot spaceships. I imagine their first attempts to reach the stars were a lot like my first attempts to launch a Kerbal Space Program: nasty, brutish and short. And yet, somehow, through a combination of determination and hunger for war, the ‘orrible creatures have their own fleets in Games Workshop’s spacebiff strategy game, Battlefleet Gothic. The upcoming digital adaptation, Armada [official site], has captured the unique flair of scrappy Ork ships, as revealed in the new screenshots, above and below.

Of the Orks, the official word says:

“Orks are not your typical space-faring species. Their ships are usually built from scrap, hulks of other ships, and in some rare cases even from asteroids. But what their ships lack in reliability is made up for with sheer firepower and particularly strong prow armor. ‘More Dakka’ would be their motto, and charging forward, all cannons blazing and ramming the enemy ships is a totally valid ‘tactic’ in the mind of any Ork captain.”

I remember the first time I played Games Workshop’s other ship-on ship combat game, Man O’ War. All I wanted was a ship that could survive a good ramming maneuver. I’m fairly sure I managed to sink my own ships while attempting to punch through an elven catamaran that looked like it was made out of tissue. That was one of the most disappointing moments of my young life.

Something tells me I won’t have that problem with these Ork bruisers. Click to see them full size.

I’ve already written about some of the smart features Tindalos are working into Armada, including proper fleet management, with captains to control and discipline (and even execute). Right now I’m stuck in memories of Man O’ War though – I always wanted a Dark Elf fleet, even though I found their monstrous ships a bit frightening. In the end I think I stuck with a few Imperial tubs because the starter kit included a few and I was too skint to switch allegiances.

1. Napalm Sushi says:

I don’t think I’ve seen anything so succinctly capture the spirit of Orkish engineering as those engine exhaust effects.

• Horg says:

It’s the nagging sensation that it should have exploded several systems back, no ones quite sure why it hasn’t, and it will be awesome when it does.

• RedViv says:

IT WON’T AS LONG AS WE SAYS IT WON’T

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’ve never before seen the reason why I love the Orks summed up so perfectly.

• ryke says:

I’m sure that’s not how smoke works in space (hell, I’m pretty sure exhaust smoke doesn’t work in space under most circumstances), but Orks probably really want it to work that way, so.

2. Jay Load says:

Have to say this is looking pretty damn sweet.

3. KDR_11k says:

I think canonically Ork tech doesn’t really work but Orkz are strong psykers and can will these things into working by pure belief. So the first Ork spaceships probably flew perfectly because the Ork thought they would fly. Though it may be difficult to talk of first Ork spaceships since they’re bioengineered (presumably by a spacefaring race) and come with built-in blueprints for various things they can build.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Man, 40K lore is nuts.

• SomeDuder says:

You should really read a Wiki on this stuff – I always bring up the fact that the Orcs paint their vehicles red is because they believe that it makes them go faster, which they do. Which is just a fantastic little tidbit that makes this the better of Warhammers.

If only real-life faith worked like that, there’d be no disbelievers. Tho I’d be happy to worship Gorka & Morka as well.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Does this mean that if they believe they’ll win every battle they’ll win every battle?

• gunny1993 says:

Unfortunately for them belief isn’t as strong as a bolter … except in the case of the chaos gods ofc

Al__S says:

They certainly believe that they never lose

• Syra says:

Not if the emprah has anything to say about it

• Sarkhan Lol says:

Orkses is never defeated in battle.

• kud13 says:

Orkz never lose. They just leave to bring more boyz. And if they’re all dead, there’s no ork left to know about the defeat, see?

Also, the most recent 40k lore has orks constantly shedding spores as long as they live. which basically means once Orkz show up on a planet, teh only way to be completely rid of them is an Exterminatus

• TormDK says:

RED ON’S GO FASTA, WIF MOAR DAKKA DAKKA!

• vahnn says:

40k lore > all others

• Syra says:

Yup their race was engineered with a latent psychic ability which is amplified when they gather in groups. If enough orks believe, then it happens to become true by that collective power.

• Chiron says:

The technology isn’t magic, it works, it shouldn’t work as well as it does and it should really break or explode on a regular basis due to just how badly made it is.

Residual Ork powers somehow act as a sticking plaster, or the worlds best duct tape and keep things working long past the point where it should melt though.

WAAAAGGGHHHHH!

4. Jakkar says:

Hrmm. It’s pretty, but it ain’t Orky. Far too clean, far too neat. Childlike but *ordered*, like a meticulously constructed Lego spaceship rather what should be to appearances a ball of rusty spikes, salvaged ship-parts and graffiti, permanently on fire, leaking radiation, fluids, spores and frozen orks.

• 0positivo says:

to be fair, it’s quite a faithful representation of the GW ork ships models… except better

Like seriously. I’m an avid Ork collector, and I still can’t stand how silly and horrid the official Ork ship models are

SlugMan says:

The second picture reminds me of a fleet of Reavers…

(Firefly/Serenity)

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yes, indeed. The Reaver ships in Serenity were so Orky.

Phasma Felis says:

I am now imagining Space Orks as The Angriest Kerbals.

Yeah, I think I’m gonna go ahead and declare this canon.

• 4th Dimension says:

So Old Ones happened to pass by the Kerbin system and uplifted and modified the Kerbals?

• The Masta says:

As Waaghboss Jebediah once said: Wees Needs da go to da mun

7. kud13 says:

Needz moar DAKKA!

8. Sic says:

So, is this sort of Homeworld-ish in gameplay, or what?

9. vahnn says:

WH40k lore > all other

10. EhexT says:

Alright the designs are pretty orky. They’re not as good as Sword of the Stars 1s Zuul Dreadnoughts though. Those were the orkiest spaceships ever made. Ramshackle piles of garbage with giant guns sticking out everywhere, especially the front.