Paradox Buys White Wolf – Including World Of Darkness & Vampire The Masquerade – From EVE Online Firm CCP

Update: There’s now a press release with a couple of extra quotes.

Update 2: A little more on what Paradox actually intend to do with White Wolf now they own it. There’s going to be “an immediate change”, and “multiple digital games titles are planned.” More below.

Swedish publisher Paradox has purchased “White wolf and all properties” from EVE Online firm CCP – a final nail in the coffin of the latter’s troubled plans for a World Of Darkness MMO. This also means that Paradox now owns the rights to Vampire: The Masquerade.

It’s Paradox’s “biggest investment ever;” White Wolf will, however “operate as an independent entity with a dedicated team.”

Paradox were hitherto best known for their grand strategy PC games, including Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis, though recently found more mainstream success with unofficial SimCity heir Cities: Skylines and Obisidian’s fantasy RPG Pillars of Eternity. The White Wolf acquisition sees them venture into new territory. Claimed Paradox’s VP of Acquisition & Portfolio Strategy Shams Jorjani, saying that “We’ve been huge fans of the white wolf IPs for a long time especially World of Darkness/Vampire. Gonna be great to give it some fresh blood” and confirming that the purchase “includes everything,” even assets CCP created for unreleased games.

In a press release sent after the initial Twitter announcement, Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester says that, “Like Paradox’s games, White Wolf’s properties have dedicated, passionate communities. While there are similarities in spirit, White Wolf’s IPs have very different themes than Paradox’s titles, and deserve their own brand and team.” Hopefully this doesn’t discount the possibility of this suggested Crusader Kings-style Vampire game being made.

A Swedish-language report on digital.di has Paradox boss Fred Wester saying “this is our biggest investment to date”, and claims the purchase involved “several tens of millions” – Paradox confirm to us that this is in Swedish Krona rather than US dollars or Euros; for reference, 10m SEK is approximately $1.2m.

Wester said that Paradox paid cash for the acquisition, and notes that Vampire is particularly exciting as it is “the world’s second best-selling role-playing and is special because half of all players are women.”

White Wolf was a tabletop RPG and book publisher most famous for its Vampire: The Masquerade and World of Darkness pen’n’paper roleplaying games. The former led to two PC games, Redemption and the cult-classic Bloodlines, while the latter’s ‘modern gothic’ setting was to become an MMO until its cancellation in 2014. EVE devs CCP purchased White Wolf in 2006, but had yet to do anything with it.

In the same press release, CCP Games CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson writes that “At CCP, we have great admiration for the White Wolf brands and communities, and it was extremely important to us that the acquiring company share the same respect and understanding. With Paradox, we know we are leaving the brands in good hands.”

Paradox have since revealed a little more on what they intend to do with White Wolf, including a post on the latter’s site confirming that “this vision will be realized in multiple digital games titles.” However, an interview on VentureBeat suggets they’re going even further than that. ““We’re going to start licensing out the brand again from the beginning,” said Wester. “We’ll start with one World of Darkness. We’ll start, basically, from day one to unite the community under one flag.” The feeling is that “no-one has really been paying attention to what the community has been up to in the last few years. There’s going to be an immediate change.”

Existing White Wolf licensing agreements will be re-evaluated, and only those which are working will be retained. Paradox also reveal that negotiations have been going on behind the scenes for the last year. Unclear at present is how many, if any, existing White Wolf and CCP staff will be joining the new endeavour, which will be headed up by Tobias Sjögren, formerly Paradox’s executive vice president of business development.

Paradox boss Wester also stated that White Wolf’s intended audience was “people who are at least 25 and older who are looking for something more gritty.” This would certainly seem reflective of people who dug Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, which has also inspired some of this site’s finest writing. Here’s Kieron Gillen writing about the none-more-dark tale one of its of most memorable characters, Cara Ellison revisiting it 10 years later, and Jim Rossignol on the tragedy of its unfinished nature and how little impact it made on the wider games industry.

As for World of Darkness, despite first announcing it in 2006, CCP sadly never revealed too much about their planned MMO adaptation before it was cancelled in 2014, although some details and screenshots leaked last year. There was also this cinematic from a few years ago:

More details on the Paradox/White Wolf deal as we have it.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Lightningproof says:

Yes please more single player WW stuff like Bloodlines or whatever else Paradox wants to make with it please yes thank you please.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Oh yes, that would make me very happy. Anything from the World of Darkness would be nice, but Bloodlines is one of favorite games of all time, so please another VtM RPG.

My user name is made up of my two favorite franchises, Star Wars and Vampire the Masquerade, and now it seems like both of them will be getting reborn. Most excellent, indeed.

caff says:

Yes please! I want some sexy, gritty vampiric action.

• Asurmen says:

I assume by reference to single player you didn’t want the MMO?

• thepayne78 says:

I would love a new single player Vampire The Masquerade game in the vein of Bloodlines. One that is more open world than Bloodlines instead of just hubs. Bloodlines might have been a pain at times but it had some fun sidequest and I enjoyed the story also it had great music. I want to play as a Malkavian again darn it I love it when the hear people’s inner thoughts.

2. It's not me it's you says:

I can’t believe we actually are in the best time line despite everything. I can’t imagine a better place for CCP to be if you primarily care about the PC games!

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Well, of course this is the best timeline. I’m not wearing a fake goatee, are you?

3. Matt7895 says:

Vampire: The Masquerade RPG from Obsidian please Paradox!

• Nereus says:

Obsidian seem to want to make original games, having been under the thumb of publishers for far too long. Don’t get your hopes up because I’d wager the conditions would have to be exceptional for Obsidian to consider that.

• freedomispopular says:

Paradox published PoE for them, so it’s actually not a crazy idea.

• Cinek says:

They only hired them for publishing. Paradox got nothing to deal with the game itself.

• Asurmen says:

You’re just repeating what the previous poster said. The actual point is that they already have a working relationship.

• LexW1 says:

Given they were willing to write story/dialogue for a terrible Russian MMO (Skyforge), presumably to pay the bills, I doubt they’re really that picky.

• skyturnedred says:

South Park: Stick of Truth came out only last year, so I don’t think they’re above licensed games – especially since Vampire is such a good license for RPGs.

• NotGodot says:

They were flirting on twitter earlier, and Obsidian was making a WoD game once upon a time…

• melancholicthug says:

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE. Paradox pls.

• suibhne says:

God yes.

But even without Obsidian, I trust Paradox with this IP more than just about anyone else out there.

• Michael Fogg says:

Now please a new rpg for the goth kid inside us all!

• April March says:

Oh man oh man oh man. Remember when Cobett joked about Alpha Protocol: The Masquerade on a column a few months back? It could happen. IT. COULD. HAPPEN.

4. Wulfram says:

Could we mix Exalted and Crusader Kings please?

• Plyskeen says:

Um – to be fair, even a CK2 or EU4 Vampire: The Masquerade mod would be pretty epic. Keep for vampire dynasty over the years, turn rulers and priests into ghouls, and such… did somebody do this already?

• Sound says:

As a huge Paradox & Exalted fan, I feel like that hybrid would be missing a key ingredient to the identity of Exalted. Exalted is very single-personality-scale, and to zoom out in scope that far would be, I think, a disservice to the kind of experience Exalted has always been about.

That being said, there’s a lot of merit to the time-span, politics, and empire-building that such a scope is geared towards. If there’s a way to somehow get both the dynastic element, and the human-level drama(and action), then we’re cookin.

BTW – Exalted 3rd edition is near! Got my Kickstarter beta-PDF, and I’m psyched. Exalted is White Wolf’s best setting, much better than Vampire.

• LexW1 says:

That’s Onyx Path, though, not WW. OP are, frankly, way better at everything WW did than WW are. I hope to god their deal doesn’t get fucked up by this. Exalted 3E is the perfect example of how OP really “get” this stuff, and are far better at designing systems than WW were, too.

• Sound says:

LexW1 – My understanding is that White Wolf still owns the IP for Exalted, and that Onyx Path has some kind of deal with WW. As a piece of evidence, an Ex3 development team member recently mentioned that they were forwarding their work up to CCP for some form of approval. I don’t fully understand the makeup of all this, but I highly doubt that WW – or CCP or Paradox – would have parted with the clearly popular and successful Exalted IP, at any point.

• welverin says:

You are correct, Onyx path licensed Exalted and WoD (old and new) from CCP and everything they did with those brands had to go to CCP for approval before it could be released.

• welverin says:

Um, Onyx Path is basically former White Wolfers.

• Wulfram says:

It’d need to be more than just adding flavour to the CK2 formula, its true – though the precise amount of changes would depend what you’re looking to do, a Dragonblooded game focusing on the Realm civil war would be a more straightforward job than letting you play Solar God King.

I do think its good when spin-offs offer a different perspective. And making the more obvious straight CRPG conversion without losing a lot seems like it could be very difficult too – CRPGs run on railroads but Exalted are rather about tearing up the rails.

Bluerps says:

(Disclaimer: I haven’t really followed Exalted since the early days of the second edition – there is a civil war in the Realm nowadays?)

I think if you wanted to mix Exalted and Crusader Kings then Dragon Blooded would be the only way to go. In contrast to the other Exalted the DB have a strong focus on families and dynasties, which is something you need for CK to work. Also, their lifespans are a bit more reasonable.

I’m still unsure that it could work, though, because the other Exalted would still be out there and it would be hard to deal with their sheer power level within the framework of Crusader Kings. Sidereals are subtle enough that they could be represented as oblique references in event texts, but I think for everyone else that would not be sufficient.

However, just because I don’t see it right now doesn’t meant it isn’t possible, of course. An Exalted game, in whatever form, could be an awesome thing.

• welverin says:

A brewing Civil War in the Realm was there right from the beginning. I presume Wulfram was talking about a game that ran with that.

Bluerps says:

Sure, but during 1st Ed. times it hadn’t really started yet. It was one of several possibilities for the near future.

5. Lobotomist says:

Thanks Paradox.
    CCP was cool, once long ago. Now they can barely prevent their own boat from sinking.

6. Viggo says:

Hell yeah

Bring on a another Vampire game!

7. Penguin_Factory says:

Nice! Paradox seems like a much better home for them than CCP.

Lars Westergren says:

HELL YES. Paradox are not afraid to aim for a niche or hardcore audience, and they seem to like the same games I do.

My fantasies of having Obsidian doing a (spritual) sequel to Bloodlines will probably just remain a wish, but it is closer to reality than ever now that a publisher they are having close ties to just got the licence.

• jonahcutter says:

Excellent point on Paradox. They are quite comfortable, maybe even prefer, developing games that have a distinct identity and a narrower appeal. But also a passionate and loyal following within that audience.

They seem like a good home for this IP to develop further, while also not getting watered down for mass market appeal.

9. gabrielonuris says:

That’s good news; I wasn’t seeing CCP doing anything with the IP anytime soon, maybe now we can get a proper Bloodlines sequel, or even a better support for new mod/projects like the Bloodlines overhaul “Project Vaulderie”, which CCP dumped not so long ago.

10. neotribe says:

Not just V:TM — all of Storyteller, and the Old World of Darkness (the good one), and the NWOD (which I keep hoping will get retconned out of existence). Paradox, meet your new constituency of hardcore LARPers.

Did Paradox get the rights to V:TES as well? I’d love to see that revived online a la M:tG.

Lars Westergren says:

I thought some parts of NWOD was pretty good. I liked that they took out how everything seemed to revolve around the metaplot of generations and the ancients for Vampire. Werewolf got a lot better I thought and became the most interesting sub-setting. Mage went from being the most thematically interesting to the least. Can’t speak for how they played in either version though, I only read the sourcebooks.

• theliel says:

NWoD is a pretty solid system and a direct reaction to the ‘original’ game lines. It plays better but losses some of the (to me, pointless) detail.
        The 2nd Edition of each game is far superior to the initial versions in terms of both settings and mechanics.

I went back and played a few nostalgia games of the *20 set (M20, V20) and all it did was remind us how far games have come.

• Emeraude says:

Can’t agree for Mage.

The premises of the two games are just too different, and as silly as the oWoD version can get, I also think it’s a lot more interesting to play.

• April March says:

I haven’t actually played either (I played an RPG game last week; it had been close to a decade before that one) but it seems that oWoD has the better ideas, while nWoD executes them better. nWoD is basically leaner and cleaner and lot less fiddly, but doesn’t go for the philosophical heights oWoD aspired to. They seem to be pretty good in their own regard, though. I saw Mage: The Awakening described as ‘urban high fantasy’, which would be just up my alley.

• NotGodot says:

nWoD, particularly Hunter, Vampire and Changeling, was a huge improvement in basically every way. It doesn’t help that oWoD feels very immediately dated and tied to nineties pop culture fads, but more than that the issue is that oWoD essentially encoded political stasis into games where politicking was central.

• Emeraude says:

That’s part of what makes oWoD Vampire work as far as I’m concerned, really.

I think if you compare games from both lines, well it’s easy to say there’s is really good stuff on both. The opposition between die-hard oWoDers and nWoDers has always been weird to me.

• NotGodot says:

Political stasis works thematically, but a core part of most oWoD lines is inter-faction politics. When you stress stasis, there can’t be meaningful change. Without change there can’t be meaningful consequences or stakes. There’s no drama.

It’s especially bad in Vampire since it was meant to be a game of parlour politics that tends to degenerate very rapidly into fighting hackneyed external threats. nVamp does a better job of it by having more factions, making them more dynamic, and stressing the inevitability of change through systems like BP/Torpor.

• Emeraude says:

Yes and no. If you go back to first edition, the game was more supposed to be about (inter)personal horror – the politicking was just a tool to that end really.

Political Stasis has that advantage that it can enforce people not trying to go for the life-and-city-shattering events, and instead focus on the daily mundane. Which is my favorite part of the game.

But then my campaigns have been described as Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Vampire edition by some; I can literally make a third of a session about a gaz leak, so, your mileage may vary. Some people find it disempowering, but isn’t that the whole point ?

• NotGodot says:

Personal horror is a thematic consideration. While I’d agree it’s pretty core to the WoD, isn’t it better served by a dynamic climate you can engage with rather than one that you can’t? Futility and disempowerment can be great narrative fun, but they still require stakes and one of your key ways of approaching and solving problems in the oWoD necessarily negates those stakes.

I think it’s a fundamental misstep. I’ll be the first to agree that, say, the Giovanni are better than the SanGiovanni, that nMage is way too incoherent to be fun, or that WW seemed to take way too much glee in fucking with fan favourites when folding them into nWoD. But I don’t think that it’s got the same self-defeating issue.

• Emeraude says:

Just to make sure we’re on the same page: when you’re talking stasis, are we talking about the games setting and “metaplot” being somewhat locked, or are we talking about the relative power level of the player characters compared to other political actors in the game making them unable to do some things in the end (I like to jokingly say that Vampire is partly a game about unsolvable Oedipus)?

I’m talking the later.

• NotGodot says:

That’s part of it. The metaplot is a problem too but it was always really easy to ignore unless you had an asshole in the game who was really into it.

But it’s more than just individuals. Take vampire, where it’s the near-codified positions held by certain clans. Particularly Ventrue and Tremere. Within each of the three main factions, every clan has a role that’s essentially codified by mechanics. When the clans are the only meaningful pieces on the board, and their hands are tied?

I dunno. They’re both fun games and both took up a lot of my time when I was younger but I’d be lying if I said that Requiem (and some of its bretheren) didn’t have a dynamism in the divide between what we might call your magical ethnicity and what we might call politics.

Matchstick says:

I’m wonder what this means for with the book side of the IPs.

Presumably if Paradox got everything that includes the the core World of Darkness IPs so will they continue the license deal with Onyx Path ?

• NotGodot says:

Supposedly, Swedish LARP Tsar Martin Eriksson is in charge of WoD. He’s tight with OP, I think.

• plugav says:

Given that the talks have been going on behind the scenes for some time, I think the Paradox deal might actually push OP forward. They must have already known about it when they announced Vampire: The Masquerade 4th Edition, for example (since they needed CCP’s approval for that). link to

12. ecbremner says:

I know this is about video games but does this change or influence the stuff Onyx Path is doing with the tabletop licenses?

• LexW1 says:

That’s my concern.

They’re doing a far better job than WW themselves actually ever did.

I really hope this basically doesn’t impact them. I love Paradox but they could easily fuck this up, frankly.

• NotGodot says:

Hasn’t OP been shitting the bed on Exalted? People say they like the content, but between the bad optics on Abyssals, the leaks, and how long it’s been in the pipeline I’m thinking editorial needs a stronger hand.

• Malfeas says:

Give the new edition a new read, once you get your hands on it.
          This is an rpg masterwork unlike any I’ve held in my hands for many years.
          And it’s not like we haven’t had great rpgs come out in the past years.

13. RedViv says:

Dark Ages WoD Crusader Kings pls thx

14. Nasarius says:

This is the most exciting game news I’ve heard in a very long time. Someone’s finally going to do something with White Wolf’s fantastic settings, and it’s my favorite publisher, Paradox.

Videogames really missed the boat on the whole vampire craze that hit books/TV/film a few years ago. But it’s never too late to make something amazing. There are so many wonderful, dark places to go with the genre.

hemmer says:

Soooo….Bloodlines on soon? :>

16. dungeoncrawl says:

Really hoping they do a Bloodlines HD update in an Unreal engine or something. I hear its a great game but I just can’t stomach the ancient graphics to give it a shot.

• skyturnedred says:

What? It still looks quite nice if you ask me.

• April March says:

People have very different thoughts about when graphics become too dated. Actually, I wouldn’t even call it thoughts: it seems to be something automatic. I’m glad that I see nothing wrong with even the boxiest PS1-era 3D… the downside is that I’m literally unable to tell the difference between the graphical quality of any game that looks as good or better than Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube, but that means games have reached Peak Graphics for me and been there for years. (Except when I end up having to play on 800×600. I should upgrade this wheezing thing…)

• Mokinokaro says:

Probably far easier to port to Source 2 since it runs on a beta version of the original Source.

And it really has aged surprisingly well. I think a lot of it is the animation.

• Unclepauly says:

Run it with supersampling and HBAO+ and tell me it’s bad looking. Completely possible on anything higher than an Nvidia 570 GTX.

17. peschi says:

finally in the hands of a capable developer

18. aliksy says:

Do they own the new world of darkness stuff, too? I thought that was sold to onyx path or something. New world of darkness is so much better than old in some ways.

Matchstick says:

It’s a tad messy. AIUI, Onyx Path bought a couple of licenses outright from CCP (Trinity and Scion) but only licensed the core World of Darkness (as well as Exalted) so they could create books based on those worlds and rule sets but they didn’t own them.

• Sound says:

Aha. Was curious about how that all worked. Thanks Matchstick.

• LexW1 says:

What’s concerning here is that Paradox have rather snottily said that they’re “reviewing” whether their licensing is with “the best people”, which, given OP are basically the only/main people WW are licensing stuff to, is kind of insulting.

Especially given Onyx Path have done a considerably better job with the IPs than WW literally ever did (like, ever-ever, and I say this as a player of WW games since 1990/1991).

It’d be a bit like someone buying EA and saying they weren’t sure the Mass Effect license was with “the best people”.

• Aerothorn says:

I’m not convinced the Mass Effect license is with the best people :P

• LexW1 says:

Sure, but when you buy a company, and the first thing you say is something shitty like that, does it bode well? Just substitute whatever franchise you think IS being handled well if you want a more accurate comparison.

As an aside – I also wonder who you would trust with Mass Effect?

Everyone I could think of would shit it up horribly. The people responsible for the ME3 ending debacle are already gone/demoted.

I mean, let’s look at some big ones:

Bungie – Destiny shows what they think of SF with a plot, story, or characters, especially ones with more than one dimension. I.e. not fucking much.

Blizzard – Ahahahahahaha yes good one.

Bethesda – All plot and characters would be replaced by randomised side-quests of a repetitive nature. ME2/3-style combat would be seen as too fast and complex, so they’d bring it into first person and slow it way, way down. Also if the visuals could be a little more generic, great!

Obsidian – Manage to keep or even improve on the plot/characters, but listening their grognard-ish ultra-fans would lead them into making the gameplay like ME1, only way more boring (looking at you, Pillars), and it would be so buggy at release that it wouldn’t run on half the PCs out there. Also they might forget to have an ending at all (which admittedly might arguably improve ME3).

Firaxis – Would make it sound totally magnificent, and then when you played it, it would be blander than dry toast, with not a shred of personality to anything involved. UI would also be terrible and stuff like using a relay wouldn’t have an animation. Also would sneer at suggestions that they should y’know, read some SF written after 1980.

Gearbox – Would literally turn into a joke. A dull joke. But they might add co-op!

I could go on, but you get the picture!

• Apocalypse says:

Obsidian all the way. I do like ME1 the best, and I can deal with a buggy mess at release, because I would buy a goty anyway ;-)

• Phasma Felis says:

Yeah, it doesn’t bode well when the corporate masters are so into this is a tabletop game with videogame spinoffs, not the other way around. Hasbro keeps edging around that issue with D&D, and it’s really irritating.

On a related note, does anyone else find it revolting that we’ve decided that the catch-all term for a fictional world is “Intellectual Property”? When did we start letting corporate fucks have this much influence over our vocabulary?

• Phasma Felis says:

“when the corporate masters forget that this is a tabletop game with videogame spinoffs”

• Darth Gangrel says:

“does anyone else find it revolting that we’ve decided that the catch-all term for a fictional world is ‘Intellectual Property’?” I find it more revolting when company people say stuff like the Twilight saga/the Fast and Furious saga or saying that they want to explore the [insert story-poor IP’s] universe. You’re not a saga or a universe, you’re barely anything other than stupid entertainment. That kind of pretentious bullshit is absurd really, but it has become standard. Just like some celebrities don’t want to be called celebrities, because reality show misfits are now also called celebrities.

While IP sounds quite dry and dull, it’s a good word when talking about products, such as videogames. IP makes me think of all the legal crap that comes with anything that involves money, but whether we like it or not, that stuff is important when making new products and we do want new products.

• Emeraude says:

Well, I don’t like the term “Intellectual Property” because it’s misleading and having people misunderstand the debate at hand.

But then “Temporary Monopoly for Commercial Use” doesn’t quite roll off the tongue.

• Phasma Felis says:

I mean, it’s okay (kinda) when you’re using “IP” to talk about the actual intellectual property, in a legal/business sense. But when people say stuff like, I dunno, “The new Assassin’s Creed game does some cool stuff with the IP” or–as above–“We’ve been huge fans of the white wolf IPs for a long time,” it’s grotesque.

Matchstick says:

I won’t swear that’s all correct though – I’ve just loaded up my copy of Designers and Dragons 1990s to refresh my memory on the whole saga :)

• theliel says:

Rich T. has covered this a few times and you are mostly correct.
        Onyx Path has the Table Top rights while By Night Studios has the rights to the Live Action “Mind’s Eye Theater” material.

BNS put out the new MET: Vampire and it’s effectively a 4th edition rebalanced for multiplayer. OP is working on a true 4th of Masquerade but that’s a bit off.

19. daphne says:

This is amazing news.

20. Sound says:

To be fair to CCP, if any developer would’ve handled the property right within the realm of a multiplayer game, it is CCP. Everyone else makes themeparks, which is an awful shortchange of the entire IP’s premise. An Eve-style sandbox within the WoD world could have been epic, and to render it instead to a linear, scripted adventure… Bah. Bah!

But there’s that awful phrase: “could have been.” So what’s better, doing something right, or doing it at all? I guess Paradox will answer that in a few years.

• zachdidit says:

I feel exactly the same way. For a brief moment upon reading this article I thought to myself, “Yes! The dream may live on. One day I may be playing in a fully realized WoD MMO” then I realized anything that comes out won’t be anything close to CCP’s initial plans.

21. Zephro says:

So long as any resultant game is single player and not some atrocious MMO then yes please!

22. kyynis says:

Vampire grand strategy game could be very interesting.

• plugav says:

Or a less grand one – like a city-scale game of balancing power, Humanity and the Masquerade.

Lars Westergren says:

• Emeraude says:

There was the Vampire: Prince of the City board game. Was kind of a mess but I liked the idea.

• kyynis says:

Definitely. Manipulating mortal politics through ghouls in city council, siring childes to deal with Kindred power play and hunters… there’s lots of fun stuff to play with. Originally I was thinking about managing a vampire clan through history of Europe (Crusader Kings style), but guiding a single vampire from fledgling to the Prince of a metropolis sounds brilliant.

• aliksy says:

Giving me flashbacks to one of the times I played vampire (requiem) tabletop. “You want to ghoul them? Sure, I guess, if you don’t want all that humanity you have.”

• Apocalypse says:

You nailed it. Instead of grand strategy just something based on cities, factions and in the spirit for vampire.

23. C.J.Geringer says:

Unlikely as it would be to happen, I really wish someone would do something with the “Scarred Lands” campaign setting.

• LexW1 says:

White Wolf sold off Scarred Lands entirely a while back – so it is available, but you’d go via Onyx Path rather than WW/Paradox.

24. Skeletor68 says:

I demand that everyone here celebrate by listening to the Bloodlines soundtrack.

Struggling not to use vulgar expletives to express how happy I am with all this.

25. MacManure says:

YES! YES! YES! CCP is so unworthy of White Wolf.

26. Yama1291 says:

Maybe, jsut maybe we’ll see Project Vaulderie after all.
    I’m still pissed at CCP for having them stop it while sitting on the liscense.

27. Mutak says:

Wait, so Paradox also owns Mage? Trippy.

28. Tohoya says:

I realize this is a video game related website, but this is a little unclear as far as the effects on the tabletop side of the business. Do they now own the PnP side of things as well, or was this just a move for video game related IPs?

• LexW1 says:

They own the IPs – which are currently mostly licensed out to Onyx Path for P&P games. In particularly they own all the old and new World of Darkness IPs (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, etc.) and Exalted.

Scion and the Aeon/Trinity universe they sold to Onyx Path outright and Scarred Lands either to OP or someone else.

Right now OP are doing a REALLY good job with the IPs, better than WW did, frankly (WW had deep self-destructive tendencies with it’s IPs – best shown in the “Revised” line of Vampire/Mage/Werewolf oWoD books, which might as well have been called the “We Hate Fun” or “Fucking Take Our Games More Seriously, Maaaaan” line). The new Exalted, for example, is so much better-designed than 1E or 2E that it’s not even funny.

So hopefully they just leave OP to it.

Very doubtful though, as Paradox put out a press release about how they were “reviewing their licensing” because they weren’t sure their licenses were “with the best people” and how they wanted to “unify” the World of Darkness fans.

If we’re lucky they’ll at least leave Exalted the hell alone (making computer games of it would be fine – the P&P I mean), and only mess with the World of Darkness.

I would put odds-on that they basically make a more modern version of the oWoD (the Old World of Darkness, i.e. the ’90s one) the only World of Darkness, delete the nWoD entirely, and tweak it in ill-advised ways, but we shall see.

• Malfeas says:

I really hope so, too. I don’t agree with everything OP is doing with Exalted, but their vision is very clear and they’ve obviously iterated the core book for 3EX to an insane degree.
        I haven’t found any character concept I can’t create with the new system. It’s absurdly good.

29. King in Winter says:

Vampire Bloodline Grand Strategy game? Yes please.

30. Artist says:

Dear Paradox, the world needs Werewolf Bloodlines-style!
    Please make it happen!

31. Ufofighter says:

…CCP Games CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson writes that “…With Paradox, we know we are leaving the brands in good hands.”

Surely better than yours. At least they are able to develop more than one title per decade.

32. Scelous says:

I think I’m the only person on the internet who hates Paradox games due to how dry and statistical they are. That being said, as a huge fan of Vampire, I think it’s good that the IP is with Paradox, as Paradox does seem to cater to a more mature and intelligent audience.

33. Shiver says:

The idea of starting over from zero and ‘uniting the community under one flag from day one’ is preciously naive and suggests to me that they either don’t know or don’t care what they’re walking into. Which, I mean, fine – the greater ex-White Wolf community is pretty terrible by and large anyway – but whatever they do on that front is bound to divide, not unite.

• LexW1 says:

The WW community isn’t particularly bad by internet standards, actually, that’s rather harsh. But it is fragmented, and you’re right that trying to simply “unify” it is suggestive of ignorance or foolhardy-ness.

In particular, the World of Darkness is split between nWoD and oWoD players (the latter mostly on “new oWoD” now), and as superficially similar as those games/settings may be, they’re hugely different in tone.

Given he doesn’t mention the press releases and so on don’t mention the nWoD, I think it’s fair to say any “unified” World of Darkness community will be based around a new oWoD, which means pissing off everyone who wanted something a bit more esoteric than “Basically awesome vampire super-anti-heroes”/”Tru Blood with WAY more guns” (not that I dislike either of those, myself!).

They’ve also said they’re carefully considering whether they’re working with “the best people” in regards to licensing, which is pretty worrying – Onyx Path currently license all the WoD and Exalted stuff, and are doing a really awesome job of supporting both the nWoD and the oWoD and Exalted. If Paradox is unsure that they’re “the best people”, that says a lot about Paradox and their attitude to this, and none of it is positive.

• Argus says:

I don’t much care for the tone of that press release with regards to onyx path either.

While I would love some new games based of the world of darkness I hope it won’t be at the expense of the writers who have insured a community still exists while white wolf has been in video game limbo.

No ones been paying attention to what the community has been up to for years? We’ve been buying books from onyx path for the most part or at least my little corner of it has.
        I do hope that uniting the community under one flag is not management speak for canceling contracts and being the only source of world of darkness material.

Don’t take my books away!

34. Tiago says:

And about Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (V:tES) cardgame; does paradox have any plans to help the Vampire Elder Kindred Network to bring back from torpor the best multiplayer cardgame ever made? I guess it could become one very lucrative investment to Paradox.

• Emeraude says:

I don’t know about lucrative, but I certainly would be interested in that.

35. kud13 says:

My initial reaction was “BRING BLOODLINES TO GOG!!!”

Then I realized that Activision still probably has the rights to that.

My second reaction is, “obsidian should be starting a Bloodlines Spiritual successor Kickstarter”, asking Brian Mitsoda to help out

36. Phantasma says:

Hell yes! This is the best news in weeks.

CCP seemed to have lost all of their interest in the IP after their plans for a WoD MMO fell through, so i was quite concerned what may happen.
    And i’m a late convert to the Paradox Cult, but 3 of my most played games of 2015 happened to be made or published by them so my expectations are high.
    At least not everything they do automatically has to be a sodding MMO.

Now, a slight HD facelift for Bloodlines would be a good start.
    Nothing fancy, but at least new animations, an overhaul of the Nosferatu warrens and new footstep sounds :-D would make me very happy.

• Skeletor68 says:

Yeah the conversation animations were gas because skipping sections would make the character model snap to the next animation causing some pretty hilarious ‘physics effects’ on the female models.

• Sound says:

CCP didn’t lose interest in WoD projects – they lost the ability execute them.

They have only a single significant revenue stream right now – Eve Online – whose subscriber base has been in freefall this year. I suspect this is why they’ve now finally sold the IP, after all this time of doing nothing with it – they’re reluctantly giving up on The Dream. They’re consolidating, trying to revitalize Eve, and make sure their few other projects don’t get compromised.

37. somnolentsurfer says:

Presumably including the rights to Vampire the Masquerade isn’t the same thing as including the rights to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which would have belonged to Activision, not CCP?

38. Okami says:

Vampire: The Dark Ages DLC for CK2, please?

• carewolf says:

Being a vampire might negatively affect your relations to the pope.

Especially when you later discover…. The pope is secretly a werewolf.

Meanwhile the vikings are battling fairies, and the Moslims having trouble suppresing the mages.

39. oceanclub says:

PI, please Kickstart a “Bloodlines” sequel/spiritual successor. You may take my money, please.

40. A7ibaba says:

I hope they will remaster 1st masqurade redemption

41. Gabbo says:

Now if they could go about resurrecting Werewolf the Apocalypse: Heart of Gaia or making a game similar to it, that’d be most excellent. Was so disappointed when that was canned last minute due to publisher problems.

Just make it less glaringly ’90s’ please

42. macc says:

43. Mr Propellerhead says:

How apposite… well played Paradox. Best Halloween surprise ever.

44. Fnord73 says:

Hmm, seeing that they hired Martin Ericsson from the cancelled MMO project as “Chief Story-teller” of the WW department just days ago, Im curious to see if they are reviving that dream. If so, its in really interesting hands.

45. v21v21v21 says:

“Paradox’s VP of Acquisition & Portfolio Strategy Shams”

Gorblimey, ain’t they being blunt!

• pepperfez says:

Knowing that somebody has already made this joke, I can now go back and read the rest of the article. Thank you.

46. v21v21v21 says:

“and is special because half of all players are women.”

a) What? You mean RL players? How the heck do you know //that//? Get away from that window, you peeping creep!

b) Psst! in most pc strip poker games //all// players are women. Cool, huh?

47. yog-sothot says:

another bloodlines, please !

Nah, too good to be true

• Turkey says:

I guess it could happen, but they wouldn’t be working with the same kind of budget as Bloodlines had. If they made an RPG it would be more along the lines of Shadowrun or Pillars, I’m guessing.

48. gwathdring says:

On the one hand I never got along with Whitewolf games in terms of their mechanical design despite loving the flavor of every one I encountered.

Scion was particularly interesting … and a particularly horrible game. It is an indefensible mess of a system. White Wolf has consistently made some of the least interesting and least funcitonal uses of dice pools that I’ve encountered and after using more smoothly functioning dice poor systems like ORE and it’s many offspring I just don’t see the point of White Wolf games as games. As system neutral setting guides, certainly.

Even when friends who like Vampire and Mage talk about their games, they talk about exciting exploits of the system’s weirdnesses; while I won’t pretend that balance is a particularly crucial enterprise in tabletop RPGs I get the distinct impression that White Wolf games I haven’t personally tried are just as wonky, kludg-y, messy, and encouraging of exploit-first-enjoy-second-narrate-third play as the ones I have.

That said, I can’t possibly imagine Paradox doing a good job fixing any of this since they are not a tabletop games company. Which means these properties will simply be licensed out–either to the people currently working on them or someone else. So … nothing really changes except we get more White Wolf inspired video games and fans who DON’T share my negative opinions of White Wolf’s game design acumen and/or the merits of further development of their games under licensing contracts face the very real possibility of someone screwing it up.

Sounds like a net loss, frankly. There are plenty of video game IPs–new and old alike–to go around. What’s one more disappearing from the fold? It just doesn’t matter compared to the development and refinement of the existing, living tabletop games and I struggle to see how this could be a good move for the table-top side of things no matter how little faith I have in these properties to begin with.

• gwathdring says:

that should read “very real possibility of someone *new* screwing it up.”

ffordesoon says:

50. Fontan says:

As a long time pnp Vampire/WoD player and avid fan of both Bloodlines and Paradox games, the news couldn’t be better. I’m eager to see what comes out of it, both for the pnp and for video games. Here’s hoping something similar to Bloodlines comes along.

Also, that CK2/Vampire game would be awesome. Maybe restricted to a single city or region, CK2’s systems would fit the struggles between the elder vampires so well. Can I buy it already?