Team Fortress 2 Halloween Revives All Prior Halloweens

Sell your pumpkin heads! Team Fortress 2‘s [official site] Halloween event has launched. Scream Fortress runs from now through till November 11th, comes with a new comic, and introduces themed items, maps, taunts and an event that lets you win items from all previous Halloween events – presumably tanking the market for them in the process.

Every player should now have a Scream Fortress Gargoyle in their inventory that lets them “summon the dark spirit of Merasmus from the inky depths of Sergei’s trunk.” In translation, it lets you play any of Team Fortress’s previous Halloween modes and potentially win the items that have previously been exclusive to those events. You can also unlock the new Gargoyle Case this way, which contains 19 new community-made items themed around Halloween but which can be worn at any time of year.

There are also four new community-made maps, called Gorge, Hellstone, Moonshine and Sinshine, each of which has a spooky horror vibe. Rounding off the Halloween selection are new taunts, including “The Broomstick,” which is a flying broomstick and which is described thus: “Go riding with your best friends Robby-Bob and Herman, or enjoy a rousing game of Bibwich and snatch the catch or avoid the noid or whatever nonsense is in the stupid books that inspired these awesome taunts.”

Lastly, the Mannpower Mode is now out of beta. It’s not Halloween themed, but it’s got grappling hooks and powerups, including a new one that allows you to give your enemies the plague.

I have taken part in a number of previous Team Fortress 2 Halloween events, have duplicates of a great many items, but can never bring myself to sell any of my hard-gotten gains. Not only because they’d sell for pennies, but because it’s just about the only game I’ve bothered to collect this kind of thing in. I’ll never let them go.

1. Kollega says:

I heard about the new comic earlier today, and after reading it, I really only have one question. On release, TF2 used to be a spoof of low-rent James Bond knockoffs, depicting a caricatured version of the Cold War. And now it’s about incompetent wizards and superpowered Australians and trading and gambling and chasing after hats. How, exactly, did all that happen?

phuzz says:

There’s no new comic*, you got me all excited for nothing :(

*(The most recent is from 31st Aug)

• Kollega says:

Oh, but there is – it’s on the top of the update page. Now if only it was less despair-inducingly-haphazard and random…

phuzz says:

There is!
          You weren’t lying to me after all :)

• Jalan says:

It’s linked in the article as well, though given how early you left a comment perhaps it wasn’t like that the entire time.

2. Stevostin says:

I couldn’t care less about those updates. Mainly it’s about trying a game mode, waste your time the first hour because you don’t know how to play it, then waste your time all of the other because a good deal of players don’t know how to play it. Ultimately once in a while you play a game with proper information level and it’s not very good anyway.

A bit like RA3 was the only really interesting way to play Q3, Orange X is the only thing I play with TF2. But boy do I play it :P

PS: I couldn’t care less about collecting item either.

3. Banks says:

Really cool update. The maps are all lovely and the dinosaur hat is so cute.

4. Jalan says:

Some of the items obtained from previous events have never been made tradable/marketable (unless you uncrated them, in which case you’d be moving them at a loss), so holding on to them is about the only thing you can do.

I started the game up and go bombarded by crate/case drops from the last time I was playing the Invasion maps and the item server was apparently flaking in and out of existence + the gargoyle. I guess I’ll have to have a run at what the contracts are like with it out of curiosity.