XCOWBZ: Hard West Riding Out On November 18th

Hard West [official site] looks interesting, taking XCOM-ish turn-based tacticalising into the supernatural Weird West. I dig XCOM and I dig the Weird West so yes, thank you. It had been lined up to begin rootin’ and tootin’ next Wednesday, but developers CreativeForge Games have decided to push it back a fortnight. They could’ve launched next week, they say, but think a little extra polish will do their cowboys and demons a world of good. To help pass the extra time, a new eight-minute gameplay trailer is out:

CreativeForge explain the delay:

“The thing is, since we announced the release date, we found some points where the game experience could really be improved. A lot of that insight came from your feedback and from streamers and media posting their gameplay videos. We could easily patch all of the little improvements that we’re making in post-launch, but in the end we’ve decided to push the launch back a little bit and release Hard West in the best shape possible; with all the little things included.

“The problem is, that in this crazy time of huge releases, we need to look for a good window to launch the game in order to avoid the marketing steamroller with which no mortals can compete. Thus, we’re pushing the launch of Hard West to November 18th. We hope that just as you supported us along the way, you’ll agree with our decision and trust in us to deliver from day 1.”

That’ll probably be Fallout 4 they’re talking about there, which is due on November 10th – as is StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. Best not to call either of those out for a showdown at high noon.

Hard West will cost £14.99 when it arrives on November 18th for, at least, Windows. Mac and Linux versions may launch on the same day, or might follow shortly after.

1. padger says:

This looks SO cool. I don’t know why i like Cowboy vs Supernatural so much as trope, but I do, and I will buy this on that basis alone.

• TheOx129 says:

Yeah, I backed it on KS based on the setting alone. Something about the trope clicks with me too, whether it’s more of a subtle ‘Gothic Western’ like Blood Meridian, or completely bonkers alt-history like Deadlands.

2. Siimon says:

That guy on fire is just way too casual about it.

3. TTex says:

Very much like Xcom indeed. Interesting. They got my attention.

4. king0zymandias says:

I am impressed that they managed to implement stairs in a grid based system. It’s something Xcom couldn’t manage. I wonder how they are dealing with the slope, probably rounding off to the nearest grid point.

5. Frank says:

Well, that was fast. It was still alpha-y not long ago.

6. CrazyNickels says:

Shadow’s of Brimstone is currently one of my favorite boardgames, will definitely check out Hard West when it is released.

7. Cronstintein says:

They’ll still be going up against an array of heavy hitters in November. I’m not really convinced holiday season is a good time for smaller games.
    Obviously waiting until next summer doesn’t make sense if the game is ready now but that seems like the ideal window for smaller developers.

8. hungrycookpot says:

This has not been on my radar at all, and I’ve not had much experience in the horror-western genre except for a few stories. This is something ill be checking out tho. I wonder is there anything other than the tactical combat + cinematics?