Mirror’s Edge – Catalyst Slips From February Release Spot

If you had Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst [official site] in the Big Game Delay Sweepstakes, step up to the podium and claim your prize. Previously set for release on February 23rd, the same day as Far Cry Primal and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the continuing adventures of Faith have been pushed back to May. DICE are still sticking to a specific release date – May 24th – and say that the delay is down to their desire to make the game “as entertaining, impressive, and memorable as it can be”.

The full statement from senior producer Sara Jansson is packed with the kind of reassurances you’d expect when a release date is pushed back this far ahead of launch. DICE want a few extra months to make the best experience possible, in short.

“Years ago, we set out an ambitious vision for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst. Achieving that vision and delivering the best possible experience is equally inspiring and challenging. And it takes time. We set out to create a vast city to explore, full of stunning vistas, majestic skyscrapers, and mysterious tunnels. We’re building the most immersive action-adventure game with fluid movement and combat in first person. Mirror’s Edge Catalyst will be an all-new playground with a deeper and more engaging story – and we want to accomplish all these goals to the highest quality possible.”

Our Graham reckons they’re off to a good start with all those lofty ambitions. He played the game earlier this year at Gamescom and described it as a “relief”. As a fan of the original, he was concerned that something wouldn’t feel quite right, but I remember how excited he seemed about the momentum-based takedowns when we were talking about the game later that day. He wrote about that here:

“Mirror’s Edge Catalyst keeps combat but ditches the guns. Instead you take down enemies with your hands and feet and the skill required is the same maintaining of momentum that you’re practicing when traversing. In the presentation I saw, the plot necessitated everything to get heated and Faith to make a daring escape from the skyscraper she’d just climbed, and almost every enemy was positioned either beside a wall or pole you could use for an acrobatic kick, or in front of a plate-glass window so you could knock them through it.”

I am broadly in favour of kicking baddies out of windows.

1. Iain_1986 says:

Implying that isn’t the desire anyway from the start?

One day….I was a bit named developer just to simply admit the truth and say “We’re behind and need more time”.

• Iain_1986 says:

Obligatory – Edit mode :(

Missed the quote at the start of…

“and say that the delay is down to their desire to make the game “as entertaining, impressive, and memorable as it can be”.”

Implying that isn’t the desire anyway from the start?

One day….I wish a big named developer would simply admit the truth and say “We’re behind and need more time”.

2. mukuste says:

Still don’t know why this can’t simply be called Mirror’s Edge 2. I get it, marketers are afraid of high numbers because they imply derivativeness, but is even two too high now?

Well, I guess at least they didn’t go for the most annoying of “reboot” traditions and call it “Mirror’s Edge”…

• TechnicalBen says:

It’s a reboot. They threw the old story/world out the window to make a new one.

Which is more honest, and better than the likes of “Far Cry” which would have more relation in the sequels if they stared Puff the Magic dragon…

• mukuste says:

I mean, who really played this for the story. By all accounts this is just a bigger/better version of the original. Heck, they even kept the same protagonist. It’s just called a “reboot” because that seems to be the fashionable thing to do these days.

• SanguineAngel says:

I genuinely really liked the story in Mirror’s Edge. I liked the cheesy 90’s-esque guffaw in and of itself but in particular I greatly enjoyed the pacing. I remember thinking at the time that it was notable to me that the story didn’t simply pause during the levels as is very often the case; rather events during play served to move the story forward continually.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There are theories that the Far Cry games are loosely related. The Jackal is referenced by an NPC in Far Cry 3 and it is possible that he is the same person as Jack from Far Cry 1.

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out for sure. A whim took me back to the first one last night, having started it for the first time at the end of the summer — but then it was over before I knew it! Once the credits rolled and I quit the game and the “You’ve Played” counter on Steam read 6 hours. That number often takes a second or two to update after a session, so I waited. And waited. And… nope! The game was six hours long — even after having to restart one particular checkpoint around forty times due to a shotgun bastard. Man, if I’d paid 60 eur for this on Xbox 360 back in the day, I’d have been peeved! Must be the shortest “AAA” game I’ve ever encountered. The (rather impressive) speed runs look like they clock in at 30 – 40 mins.

Regarding the reboot: as much as I liked the environments, the story and characters were the worst, so I’m glad they’re starting that stuff from scratch. The “Runner” concept is genuinely interesting so let’s hope it lives up to its potential this time ’round!

4. epeternally says:

Still betting on this getting canned. Maybe by way of a second delay to Holiday 2016 and then they quietly cancel it. Don’t know why but I’ve been feeling pessimistic about this one since the outset.

5. ZIGS says:

I guess they don’t have much faith in the game…

I’ll see myself out

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Yes, I would say that this the main reason for the delay.

6. Yakumba says:

Love this game so far, wonder if it will bring some content on http://glitchbay.net