The Last Door Season 2 Knocking On Early Access

In Season two of the The Last Door,
You’ll delve further into the Veil as Dr. Wakefield, from before.
You know, the psychiatrist of Season 1’s Jeremiah Devitt,
Who’s now out in search of his client who hath split.
Now caught up in a web of lies and deceit,
The doctor’s search widens, past England’s back streets.
Will he locate his patient, that he doth look for?
Or will he find that he, too, is lost in the search of the Last Door?

Okay, so I’m no poet, but it’s Halloween and that’s the best Edgar Allan Poe impression I’ve got. The Game Kitchen’s Poe/Lovecraftian-inspired 2D point and click horror game The Last Door [official site] has started its second season on Steam Early Access.

The Last Door: Season 2’s first episode is named The Playwright. Releasing on Early Access, say the developers, means players can gain access to each new episode as it becomes available there – the sum of which is expected to be ready by “early 2016”, complete with bonus features such “mini-sodes” and Steam trading cards, if that’s the kinda thing that floats yer boat.

If you’re put off by another retro-inspired pixel art game, don’t be – it’s very much worth playing. In the spirit of All Hallows’ Evening, publishers Phoenix Online have put season one on sale with a 75% discount; just use the code “PUMPKIN50”.

The Last Door: Season 2 is on Steam Early Access for £5.59. Here’s the old S2 announcement trailer:

1. Lars Westergren says:

Season 1 was pretty good. Heavily Lovecraft inspired, expect to anticipate most of the plot points, but atmospheric audio and some decent puzzles. The pixel art probably looks better on a smaller phone or tablet screen than blown up on a huge monitor.

2. MaxMcG says:

Ok I’m now bored with the whole faux 8/16-bit graphics things. FTL was fine, Dungeons of the Endless was greeat but please stop it now.

What next, Vic-20 gfx? More Shiny please.

• Lars Westergren says:

I can see where you are coming from, but in this case I think it was the right choice. They had a tiny Kickstarted budget and a small team (1-2 persons?). With the low res and good audio your imagination fills in the details in the scene. At least it did for me. :)

• Philomelle says:

Am I to assume that you’re offering all the tiny development studios multi-million budgets out of your own pocket, then?

3. grrrz says:

well in this case, it works perfectly. dirty cheap graphics are well suited with mystery and horror.
    Besides they don’t pass the whole game through a resolution filter, the graphics themselves are built with big pixels, but text and lightning are of different resolutions.
    I will agree that it’s not relevant for platformer, or for isaac rebirth for exemple.

4. JamesPatton says:

Oh gather round traveller as you click through the web,
    And I’ll tell you a story of horror and dread.
    There’s a macabre, terror-filled, Lovecrafty game
    Where the pixels are chunky; The Last Door is its name.
    We played as J. Devitt in season the first
    As we stumbled through nightmares (I think we got cursed?)
    This guy was unhinged, and Wakefield – his doctor –
    Concerned for his safety (and sanity) watched the
    Unfolding dramatics. Now Devitt is gone
    And we, as the doctor, must point-and-click on.
    But season two episode one was released
    In twenty fourteen – it’s great, but what gives?
    Oh, now I see: it’s the whole season, in practice,
    And the devs have now put it on Steam Early Access.
    I’d recommend this one: you might be put off
    By the extra-big pixels, but allow me to scoff:
    The music and atmosphere’s second to none,
    So why not start now with s1e01?

5. Turkey says:

Was that the King in Yellow in the video?

• Philomelle says:

Not exactly, but it was a reference. That entire sequence is half The King in Yellow, half the Conqueror Worm.

Easily the funnest part about the Last Door, to me, is catching out all the numerous literary references in it.