Misc. Tricks, Treats: Halloween Goings-on In Games

How’s your Goth Christmas so far, everyone? Me, I’m blasting The Sisters of Mercy and chucking back red wine – and writing this, I suppose – before wandering through trees in the fog at the Botanic Garden’s lights. If you want a spooky weekend indoors, though, here are a few of the Halloween happenings which caught my kohl-smeared eye. I’ve no intention of covering everything, but this stuff looks fun:

Ark: Survival Evolved’s Halloween event? One word: Skelesaurs. A few more words: a fire-breathing DodoRex, witch hats, bats, and goodness knows what else.

Dota 2 isn’t getting Diretide this year, as Valve have instead made a new custom game, Haunted Colosseum. It’s a 5v5 point capture affair with giant spooky monsters, and traps including a murderous pendulum. Spooky!

It’s a wee tiny thing, but I do like that Euro Truck Simulator 2 has revisted its past Halloween DLC to add a pumpkin-headed monster and a flappy rubber bat for folks who own its new cabin accessory DLC. This may only be relevant to five of you, but I can’t resist that goofy bat.

Grand Theft Auto V’s Halloween Surprise brings spooky stuff to GTA Online – sadly not singleplayer. Still, you can pick up bitchin’ cars like the Lurcher Hearse and the Franken Stange hot rod, along with spooky masks and facepaints, all of which you can keep forever. Plus, a new mode, Slasher Adversary:

“Enjoy thrills and suspense with the lights out in this tense new Adversary Mode for up to 8 players. Run, hide, and fight to survive in the darkness as the player designated as the Slasher stalks their prey with a Shotgun. Use your new Flashlight to navigate if you dare, but be careful not to reveal your position or you’ll quickly become prey. Survive for 3 minutes and you’ll get the chance to return the favor with a Shotgun of your own.”

Co-op survival FPS series Killing Floor is always a fun spot of horror, and both games are on sale this weekend. The first is 75% off, down to £3.74 (its DLC is on sale too), and the still-in-Early-Access sequel is £13.39. The first one has loads of special Halloween event maps from previous years, and while devs Tripwire haven’t added anything specifically Halloween-y to KF2 this year, they have added a new map set round a spooky farmhouse.

Rocket League is offering spooky cosmetic items as post-match drops, which will stick with you forever if you get them now. If not, you’ll need to wait another year.

Team Fortress 2’s Halloween brings back all previous Halloween events and has new maps and hats and all that too.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth is out and amazing and has demons and dead children and Mega-Satan and all that spooky stuff oh my gosh I could be playing that instead of writing this.

Warframe has come over all Day of the Dead with special capes and weapon and landing craft skins.

As for MMORPGs… they run all sorts of Halloween events, but the last I played myself was Guild War’s Mad King events and gosh, that was an awful long time ago. I have no idea what’s good or interesting any more. Which spooky MMO events would you recommend, readers dear?

Do share any of your own favourite Halloween things afoot too, gang.

• Okami says:

I suck at commenting… The game in question is of course The Curious Expedition!

1. Grimley says:

What?? No mention of “Nanite of the Living Dead”? Its only Rock Paper Shotgun’s very own outfit’s Halloween event in Planetside2!!

2. Thirith says:

Having just played Slasher missions on GTA Online for about 1 1/2 hours, I can confirm that they’re great fun – though (like all things GTA Online) they’re better when you know the people you’re killing or getting killed by.

3. internisus says:

Dino Run DX has a Halloween event on: “So, we used our own funds and made a major update to the game, adding a new HALLOWEEN HELLRUN Challenge and 5 new Multiplayer Zones to race in based on those same challenge levels. We also added some *spooky* new hats to unlock for beating the challenge on various difficulty levels.” link to pixeljam.com

Dungeon of the Endless has added a merchant offering a mysterious Halloween deal: “A new merchant will appear in the dungeon: the Death merchant, also known as The Dood. It will offer players a very special deal during the week of Halloween, and will appear less often the rest of the time. Unknown items will be available for fixed price as well!” link to steamcommunity.com

4. Fandi says:

And the Devil in black dress watches over.

tigerfort says:

My guardian angel walks away, down to the corner shop for more crisps, because it smoked a huge reefer of something amazing a while ago, and now has weird staring eyes and the most outrageous munchies.

5. LionsPhil says:

Payday 2 is doing a version of the Rats heist set on a single meth-lab table, much like the Half-Life/CS rat maps of old.

Guild Wars 2 is indeed doing…something…but as a freescrub I can’t get into it because I’m six levels short of being able to enter Lion’s Arch where the party is.

• Caerphoto says:

If you do get to Lion’s Arch in time, be sure to go into the Mad King’s Labyrinth and follow a zerg around – you’ll be temporarily boosted to 80, and gain a ton of XP and (mostly junk) loot.

6. SaintAn says:

There’s a Halloween event mod for Skyrim. I don’t know if it’s just decorations or if it adds anything else.

7. int says:

Go trick or treating now in The Kingdom of Loathing! link to kingdomofloathing.com

8. Creeping Death says:

Kinda bummed I’m missing out on the GTA 5 Halloween event because the shitty Rockstar Social Club has been downloading the game for OVER TWO WEEKS and isnt even a quarter done yet.

Everyone that has ever bitched about the ineptitude of Uplay or Origin needs to try and download something big through the Rockstar Social Club. That’s the spookiest thing to me this Halloween!

9. Turkey says:

Some of the regular mummy guys in Nuclear Throne have pumpkin heads now. I barely even noticed until a few games in.

particlese says:

Spooky is how pleasant and completely normal October 31st is when you mostly ignore the Internet and live in a country where people don’t care about Halloween! It was November 1st before I found the answer (this article) to my question from earlier in the day, “wtf is this ‘goth Christmas’ business, RPS?” *not-click*

Anyway, I would recommend the Guild Wars Mad King events, but I also haven’t played in years. ESO felt curiously empty for a Saturday evening, so either I visited the wrong towns for that stuff, or there was nothing and everyone else was off doing Halloweeny things. Either way, they have Mad King costumes (more or less) and dead horses for the purchasing, if that’s your thing.

Oh yeah! I finally got around to killing the bad guys that had tried spreading a magic-based zombie plague. Does that count as a Halloween activity?

11. dethtoll says:

The Kreeps have been my go-to Halloween Music for the last week. I especially adore ‘Bloody Holly’, but really all their stuff is tops.

My October roundup tends to center around Afraid of Monsters and Cry of Fear and similar games, though I’ll be kicking off Pathologic tonight probably since that seems to be a good early November game.

12. NukeWithG says:

That screenshot of Euro Truck Sim makes me think that that game would be perfect for a horror mod. Utilize the radio system, have weird things going on in the sides of the street, witness the world slowly falling to chaos around you as you try to survive by delivering goods and messages between the last few outposts of sane people left.

Of course the fact that I always listen to the NoSleep podcast or Pseudopod while playing might be making it easier for me to associate the game with horror.

13. Muzman says:

Heading image caption “Every once in a while the Vicar liked to dress up as Batman”

14. nickylee says:

Huh. I did not know the Botanic Gardens did this lights thing and I’ve lived here for most of my life. Shame on me. :P

15. SuicideKing says:

Some Insurgency maps have pumpkins to shoot at now.

And I played spooky Arma missions on Friday, courtesy Team One Tactical.