What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Happy Goth Christmas, everyone!
What a day to sing Goth Christmas carols
Wear Goth Christmas jumpers
And eat traditional Goth Christmas feasts
Ho ho hisssssss!
If you dare, brief mortal, peep above the covers this weekend, what shall you do?
What shall you play?
Here's what we dare play:

Adam: Over the next forty eight hours, I’ll sink myself into the most diverse gaming diet imaginable. There are only two games on the menu but they represent two extremes. One is a theatrical, metafictional parade of horrors and dark wit, and the other is Football Manager 2016. When I’m not exploring the features and bugs of Sports Interactive’s recently released beta, I’ll be working my way through Pathologic HD. From in-depth strategic sports simulation to arthouse mystery horrors, and from the “sand plague” to the machinations of UEFA and FIFA – the one constant will be the sense of creeping corruption.
Alec: I’m over-optimistically watching my inbox for Fallout 4 code, but I suspect that’s a while off, alas. So what I’m going to do instead is play Pathologic Classic HD, as I never quite managed to play the original even though it’s been on my hard drive for years. I lived it vicariously through Quinns’ inspiring write-ups, but with a theoretically improved translation and voice-acting, now’s the time to finally experience what people were raving about last decade for myself. Finger on the pulse of videogames culture, me. I also keep loading up Batman: Arkham Knight and trying on different DLC outfits, then become profoundly bored when I start playing the game proper.
Alice: I’m playing The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth and have no time for frippery.

I am also watching Bob Ross on Twitch on my second screen, mind.

Graham: I’ve got review code for Anno 2205 and pre-order beta access to Football Manager 2016, so it’s going to be a fight as to which nerdy management game steals most of my time. If I am honest, I might prefer something more immediate, and Galak-Z has just made the leap from console to PC… Hmm.
John: [What’s John doing this weekend? We may never know, unless you keep reporting sightings. I’ve heard nothing about what he’s doing or playing this weekend, have none of you seen him? Was he… preparing for Halloween? Is… is John a dracula? Is John the king dracula?]
Philippa: Mate, Worlds is still on so I’m still watching other people play League of Legends within weekends. If I get back early enough on Sunday I’ll be putting a few hours into the Overwatch beta though. Or speedrunning Hexcells. Is that a thing?

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. RaunakS says:

Going through old games that I haven’t started yet led me to Hydrophobia: Prophecy. RPS seems to have disliked it quite a lot. I’ve always loved aquatic environs, perhaps hydrophobia will tackle that Bioshock itch. Has anyone here played the game? Did you like it?

I might also sink a few hours into TBOI: Afterbirth, though I’m never any good at these games. Also, steam will soon support the Indian rupee! Thank god for small mercies.

• RaunakS says:

Forgot to say, I’ll also be playing some fancy Titan Quest mods. I want to see if the game was quite as good as my shaky memory made it out to be. Nostalgia and reality make poor bedfellows, especially for mid 2000s games.

• Legion23 says:

I liked it but sadly it is obvious it was meant as the start of a series. Just when you think it is getting interesting it just ends.

• RaunakS says:

Dang it, that’s a bummer. Hope the moment-to-moment gameplay is good at least.

• SuperDion says:

I found the moment-to- moment quite fun. Although a particular bossfight at the end was too nonsensical frustrating for me. I’ve never finished the game because of that.

2. Unclepauly says:

Pathologic HD yup, I reckon a couple of people will be doing the same.

• caff says:

Pathologic HD is still as odd as it ever was. Had another go today. Chased some weird creature down the street then got knocked out by them.

3. Agnosticus says:

Some squadleading in Red Orchestra 2, because it’s still GREAT, some BoI: Afterbirth and some Downwell

• RegisteredUser says:

Just wanted to randomly say yay RO2.

• Kaeoschassis says:

How are you finding Downwell? If it’s half as fun as it looks I’m gonna be all over it.

• Agnosticus says:

I’m only half an hour in, but its seems to be a fun little game. It mixes platformers with shmups and sprinkles it with some rogue-like. Best consumed in small doses, I find.

I’d give it a shot, it’s just 3€ ;)

4. Blackcompany says:

A little bit of Warframe, here and there.

But what really has me excited: Winter is here, and I have settled into my first playthrough of the Witcher 3. Grabbed a couple of mods – most notably, longer potion duration and ESGO. I’ve adjusted the game to make levels a little less of a thing and creatures more believable in terms of their toughness versus Geralt.

Really enjoying Witcher 3 so far. But then, quality was never my issue. I didnt have time for it when I first bought it, and I do now. Its a very well made game; first time, I think, that two characters made me chuckle with just their body language (near the beginning, when Geralt’s companion talks about Yenefer being “especially hard to forget” Geralt just…looks at him for a second. You could have missed it but I hope you didnt.

Thulsa Hex says:

They do some great stuff with body language and facial expressions in that game. You almost start taking it for granted as it’s so consistent throughout.

zinzan says:

Doorkickers – fast and fun when I have 5-10 mins. Combat Mission: Beyond Normandy PBeM & Some scenario reviews as always :) Resisiting the temptation to break my “never buy software within 6 months of release” oath, on oh so many ttles on Steam.
    Still feeling amazed that the update to Win10 went so smoothly this week – just waiting for the PC apocalypse to hit me.

Thulsa Hex says:

Since it is Gothchristmas, I decided to give the Evil Within a whirl. I’m not too far in but I’m quite enjoying (being disturbed by) it, so far! I was worried about how it was going to run, since there was a lot of talk about how badly optimised it is, but my PC seems to be able to “brute force” it, thankfully (i7 4790k/GTX 970/16 GB RAM). I also remember people being very upset about the letter-boxing and restrictive FOV, but I actually quite like the feeling of cinematic dread it evokes. It feels like an intentional design decision, rather than the technical blunder I’ve heard described. It’s so claustrophobic and grimy and gross! Glad I took the risk.

Also: chainsaw-men are still bloody scary.

• welverin says:

I bet it was intentional, but people complained enough it got changed, or someone at work told me they had patched it out or at least gave the option to remove it.

Thulsa Hex says:

There is currently an option in the menu. I haven’t tried it but I will tonight, out of curiosity.

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m just after comparing both options have seen it drop to around 54 FPS in more busy, open areas with the letter-boxing off, whereas it doesn’t seem to stray from 60 FPS with it on. Aesthetically, it does have quite a different feel and I’m not sure which I prefer.

7. Morph says:

Vermintide if I get the time. A lot of fun so far, though I don’t quite understand the loot system.

8. dangermouse76 says:

Tempted by Max Payne II. Or in lieu of the the harry potter party I am attending this evening I might try a Lego harry potter game.Are any of them any good ?

• Scurra says:

It depends. :-)
      Personally, I think that the first Lego Harry Potter game is pretty much the peak of the series – the cutscenes are close to the last of the wonderful “silent movie comedy” era, the puzzles are actually occasionally headscratching instead of tediously obvious, the range of abilities is amazing and they are used well, and the central hub is fun without being too large.
      But if you aren’t into Harry Potter then you will probably still consider the Marvel game to be the best, and if you aren’t into the Lego games at all, then it probably won’t convert you.

• dangermouse76 says:

Cheers,gonna give HP1 ago.I do like the Lego aesthetic.
        On a side note I just thought how great a Lego version of oceans 11 would be !

• LionsPhil says:

I wonder if I can dig up whatever state file Max Payne II uses to know you’ve completed it.

I’ve played it a bunch of times, but only at the frequency of “new gaming computer”, so it’s always at the first unlocked difficulty.

• dangermouse76 says:

Max Payne II was the one and only game I pirated, to see if it would work on my Pentium 4 computer with a Geforce 9600 GT.I have bought it since of course.
        Loved it’s cheesy story telling, and simple rinse and repeat mechanics. First time I played it right through from about 11pm through to 6 in the morning.
        That feeling you get when you sit back from your desk sip on your 20th cup of tea and say to yourself…….” it was worth it .”

• thelastpointer says:

Max Payne II is great, but it’s very short.

9. caff says:

Dwarf Fortress! My last creation “Beerglen” succumbed to an attack by a particularly nasty werebadger that my dwarves were woefully unequipped to tackle. I wasn’t wholly happy with the layout anyway (and they’d cooked most of the mushrooms away), so I’m going to start again with a bit more knowledge and find a better site to start this time.

How anyone could have learnt this without a wiki or graphical tileset is beyond me.

• Kaeoschassis says:

DF’s core fanbase have been around since much, much simpler times. And they’re probably the ones responsible for at least the foundations of the wiki. In short, I doubt many people DID learn DF the way it is now without that.

I learned mostly from the Boatmurdered/Headshoots/Syrupleaf LPs, myself. That gave me enough info that I could trial+error the rest, while keeping me gripped enough to WANT to learn.

10. Danny says:

Divinity: Original Sin Enhance Edition. Stopped playing vanilla when I heard about the EE, now enjoying the game in Tactician Mode. Not really caring about all the voice acting, the thing I really care about is if they balanced the game a bit after Cyseal, as the difficulty really took a nosedive when you hit level 10 or so.

• Carra says:

It’s a great game.

I stopped playing Pillars of Eternity when I heard about the enhanced edition. Kind of makes me wonder if I shouldn’t just always wait for the goty edition…

11. lowprices says:

This weekend I’ll be checking my inbox for an Overwatch beta access email, then sighing disconsolately and staring at the BattleNet launcher when it doesn’t show up.

In between that I’ll be carrying on with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. It’s basically the same game as Borderlands 2, but still lots of fun.

• lowprices says:

Also, John is spending this weekend skulking around at League of Legends’ Worlds event, planning to become champion the old fashioned way: by murdering the previous champion and eating their heart.

• fish99 says:

It’s quite painful watching Overwatch streams and not being able to play it. Hopefully they’ll start doing the open weekends after blizzcon.

The game already looks super polished, if not quite balanced. It also looks awesome fun.

• Jason Moyer says:

The Pre-Sequel continues the grand Borderlands tradition of being incredibly painful to play for the first few hours, then suddenly being incredibly crazy and awesome for the rest of the first and subsequent playthroughs.

Also, make sure you give Claptastic Voyage a try. IMO it’s up there with Dragon Keep as far as “best expansion packs of all-time” go.

• lowprices says:

Hmm, never played Dragon Keep. I completed Borderlands 2 on PS3, then got rid of the PS3 after moving and bought the GOATEE edition on Steam. Replaying it to get to the DLC has been a bit of a slog, as Borderlands is quite repetitive by nature and I’ve realised I need the novelty of new jokes/story/areas to keep me motivated. Is it that good? Because I may go back and keep pushing if that’s the case.

12. guygodbois00 says:

For the past 3 weeks: Fallout series(1,2,3 and New Vegas). Still Top o’ the world games, especially 2. Not having high hopes for 4, but can’t wait for the rps review when it finally gets released (10. of November, is it?).

• floogles says:

Also just started Fallout 1, wow this game is fantastic. Combination of atmosphere and elegant multi-solution quests have immediately hooked me. Played 2 a long time ago, so I knew it would be good, but damn if I’m not surprised that its way better than I remember.

• LionsPhil says:

1 is the stand-out for me for being closest to a good tabletop session in flexibility and focus. Enjoy it!

13. SuicideKing says:

Arma and some other stuff. Also the current Humble Bundle’s bottom tier is pretty damn good.

14. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Well, I’ve just discovered Pillars of Eternity, so that’s me for about 6 months.

• ToomuchFluffy says:

Reassuring to know that there are at least some people that are as slow in finishing games as I am.

Just read guygodbois00s comment on replaying three Fallouts in three weeks, which made me think: “Gaah, why can’t I finish anything in a reasonable amount of time.”

At best 20 hours-games usually take me 2-4 weeks and that’s if I really like them.

• floogles says:

Don’t worry, us slow gamers are out there – I take the average on hltb.com and double it, minimum.

• fish99 says:

I find HLTB times to be way quicker than the average gamer. Honestly I think the site mainly attracts speedrunners and people who are trying to get through games quickly, so even their completionist times are low.

Whenever I hear some new game is 4 or 6 hours long, you can safely add 50-100% most of the time.

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking your time in a game, to explore or take in the atmosphere, and there’s nothing wrong with getting stuck either. It’s your game, play it how you want.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

It’s mostly down to the time I have. I’m a self employed tradesman so my life outside 9-5 is mostly occupied with paperwork and arranging my jobs so that I can do things without angering customers. Generally my gaming gets done on Friday and Saturday nights, also Pillars is one of those games you can just lose hours in, doing the little side quests etc.

15. prof_yaffle says:

I’m going to be playing Alien: Isolation. So far I’ve been finding it more annoying than scary. Though that might be because I’m not too far into it. I’ve only seen the alien twice. Once it becomes more of a threat than the androids the fear factor will probably increase.
    Another problem is, having played Broforce, I keep thinking of the main character as Amanda Ripbro. I kind of want to play it in that style.

16. brat-sampson says:

Some combination of Trails in the Sky SC and Afterbirth. Good times.

• Munin says:

Oops, would have added my post to here to say I’m also playing that if I had spotted it earlier.

17. Xyviel says:

I’ve been wondering that all Saturday morning…

I’ve just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order, and had a blast (am I the only one who picks up clear Half-Life 2 influences? Just checking). But now, I’m craving for something else.

Divinity Original Sin EE has come out, and I’m tempted to try that out after failing to really “get” the original one, but as a rule of thumb I wait a few months at least to play new RPGs when they’re all patched up and ready.

So I’m still not sure. I might go to the Paris Games Week tomorrow, though.

• welverin says:

This isn’t exactly a new game, it’s an updated version of an old game. A bit different.

• Xyviel says:

With enough changes that you can safely expect patches to come out until at least Christmas.

18. Blastaz says:

Cracked and bought GTAV as it finally has come down to a more reasonable price. Still need to play Heart of Stone though.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I’m doing the GTAV thing too, since as you say, it finally went on sale. Certainly a strong showing. It was clearly designed with “the GTAV experience” in mind (ie. emphasizing multiplayer and cross-platform marketing), but thankfully that doesn’t seem to mean that the singleplayer experience has been neglected. I was worried at first, when I saw that the single player option was waaaaaaay at the end of the start menu.

19. Marblecake says:

As always, Hearthstone and Rocket League. All things to tide me over till SC Alpha 2.0 drops, which might be anywhere between the next two weeks or two months.

20. AriochRN says:

A few hours on my laptop with Chaos Reborn hither and thither, but tonight is for 4 player Eldritch Horror.

• mgardner says:

Please say your gaming group is dressing up for Eldritch Horror! It’s Halloween, after all. And have a great time!

• AriochRN says:

The random character draw was kind to me – I got Leo Anderson. I think if I’d got Lily Chen my fellow players would be making sanity rolls before the game started :)

21. NetharSpinos says:

Today I will be playing the grand game of Going To A Stag Do; made relevant because said Do will consist of Star Wars: Armada, Malifaux, Munchkin and others. Virtual gaming wise, I’ll probably play a bit more of Rise of the Samurai for Shogun 2. Also hoping to finally get Fate/Stay Night properly started, for realsies this time.

22. MiniMatt says:

A chill wind blows from the north. Winter is coming. John guards The Wall.

• jon_hill987 says:

John is a Wilding lover and you know it!

For the Watch! *stabs*

• Velko says:

John is a Wingdings lover and ♉♤☛✉✯☒⇿♇♞!

• Andrew says:

“John is a Wingdings lover and” on a half-bicycle through forest towards post office to receive a star in a box from horse?..

• mgardner says:

In the context of gaming, an alternate interpretation might be…
            …and received a medal for bravery during the Ardennes forest panzer assault of an entrenched infantry unit (American), during which the enemy was first routed and then eliminated. Lehr vs. 14th Cavalry!

Or maybe we are reading too much into this? By the way, I will now always think of unicycles as half-bicycles, thanks!

• Andrew says:

No, there is difference between “unicycle” and “half-bicycle”. Unicycle is just one wheel with a seat on top. Here you can clearly see handlebar too, only second wheel is missing.

• Andrew says:

Correct term is “sympathizer”.

But, can we fire John? He clearly ignores most important part of his job!

Ok, maybe not, he’s kinda useful. Occasionally. But if we can, we need to fire him via SMS — he has his phone with him. *grumble grumble* mobile gaming *grumble grumble*

• AriochRN says:

It is night and John is very invigorated. The ice fear is quite cold. John is utterly bold. He has with him Ygritte. John thinks some more…

23. KesMonkey says:

I just bought myself an Xbox One with EA Access, and traded a load of my 360 games in for a few Xbox One games, so I’ll be playing a little bit of Battlefield 4 & Hardline, Titanfall, GTA V, Arkham Knight, Far Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid V, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and the new Need For Speed.

• welverin says:

That’s a few games? I think you’re set for the next year, or two.

24. Munin says:

The Trails in the Sky Second Chapter finally came out two days ago just after I managed to finish my replay of the first one on PC. Going to be playing that this weekend.

Btw, the people responsible for the localisation made some interesting blog posts about the localisation and porting process (they were also responsible for creating new PC ports for both the first and second game).

link to xseedgames.tumblr.com

The one I liked most was the bug squashing one from a few months back were they have screenshots of a number of oddities they encountered and the general vagaries of dealing with different languages fonts and formats:
    link to xseedgames.tumblr.com

• Munin says:

Also, just wanted to quickly add that it is a story with a female protagonist which easily passes the Bechdel test. It also has characters with actual families and friends who have an actual emotional presence in the game.

Warning, first game is a bit of a slow burner at the start in part due to the more domestic setting of the opening, no giant evil burning protag’s village to kick things off or the likes.

The second chapter also open with one of the best takedowns of the the “self sacrificing male hero trope” of the “oh no, I can’t put my loved ones in danger” variety. It was a good moment especially because it perfectly vocalised my own particular feelings at that point.

• welverin says:

That sounds interesting, are you paying attention Graham, might make good material for the Sunday Papers.

25. rahji says:

I wanted to play Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, but the bugs are keeping me off. One bug unlocks all new challenges with the pickup of a new item. It is not a dead serious bug, but somehow i want to earn the challenges by the proper way. It feels a bit like cheating. I wait for a patch on this one.

So I returned to Witcher 3 and I am happy with that. I want to tackle the DLC.

26. colossalstrikepackage says:

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes is effing spectacular. My wife and I just about cracked Morse code.

27. welverin says:

Let’s see it is Halloween, which means there’s an event in TF2, so that.

There is a Behemoth challenge this weekend in Evolve, so I need to play that some to get the long await gold skin for him.

And I am no where near done with MGSV, oh and one of my D&D games tonight.

28. yan spaceman says:

Just started Outlast. Not a big fan of jump-scares, but it has a nice atmosphere. I also fired up Spintires after the new patch. I can understand how people might not appreciate it’s slight lack of things to actually complete, but I find the rather lethargic slipping and sliding through the mud somewhat mesmerizing. And the big yellow tractor is ace.

29. Jekadu says:

I went to Comic-Con Gamex (in Stockholm) and met actual game developers! It was super rad, although only one guy was impressed about me having met Chris Avellone for a few minutes once. This generation stinks.

Kidding, it was super rad. I’m gonna go home and play a mix of Vermintide, Iron Brigade and TOR now.

cairbre says:

CoH2 because its great some Witcher 3 and MSGV. That should take the entire weekend.

31. tsff22 says:

Isaac Afterbirth, duh.

Also gonna try to complete Angry Videogame Nerd Adventures for the seasonal Halloween achievement today.

Besides that, I’m hoping to truly start Deathstate now that the disorienting strobe effect’s been patched, as well as well as the Metro Redux games, Dragon Commader, and the Blackguards games.

Honestly, Blackguards 1 isn’t NEARLY as bad as people say it is.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Going to play some Soma when I get home from work. It’s my spooky button pushing for the year.

Also Galak-Z on the in-between scares. The KB+M controls for the PC port are awesome. As is the Arcade mode. I wish more roguelites included something similar.

33. Solstafir says:

I’ll likely be playing plenty of The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth with a bit of Vermintide and Shutshimi.

34. Det. Bullock says:

Continuing Dragon Age Origins.
    By the way, the sex scene is kinda ridiculous, and I don’t really like the gift system, stuff that could have been done in-engine (giving the Grimorium to Morrigan or the Amulet to Alistair, I mean, those guys were with me when I found them, are they blind?) and other are a bit off, especially for people who are supposed to be traveling on muddy roads all the time.
    Also, the Orzammar boss fight with the golems whatever choice you make is impossible on “normal”, but the story bits with Shale I liked, now off to do all the remaining sidequests and combing areas for treasures!

• ToomuchFluffy says:

Interesting: I had absolutely no trouble with the last bossfight (on Normal) and that’s in spite of having got some rather useless spells for my mage (single target support spells). On the other hand, I had a rather hard time on the way there (the Spider Queen and the Broodmother).

35. thelastpointer says:

I think I’ll go to itch.io and find myself a few mysterious experimental games tonight. I don’t care about pumpkins; I like my Halloween weird.
    Recommendations are welcome if they’re spooky and dark enough!

36. Kitsunin says:

I’m greatly enjoyed Tales of Zestiria. It’s a very vanilla fantasy story, but by god is that what I want right now. There are so many that try to do something more to varying effect, something which doesn’t and ends up being a joy is like a breath of fresh air.

And the combat, it’s as deep as a fighting game in the best way–you only really need a basic understanding to do fine, but there’s so much more to it than that, and it’s an absolute blast.

37. thelastpointer says:

I’m going to go to itch.io tonight and find myself some spooky experimental games. I don’t care about pumpkins, I like my Halloween weird.
    Recommendations are welcome, as long as they’re dark and weird enough.

38. moms says:

I promised my little PS2 zombie zerg that I’d take him trick or treating on Auraxis, and if he survives that, we may go Zombie Bowling afterwards.

particlese says:

For me, it’s probably gonna be more Xenoblade and Elder Scrolls Online this weekend. I had an enjoyably hectic romp in the latter’s pvp last weekend, and I’ve been thinking of finally starting on the main story quest. Relatedly, there’s also this sentence sandwiched by blue gibberish, the core of which amused me way more than it should have: “There are cats following cats who are being rode by other cats.”

I played a little ESO yesterday, but I might not get around to Xenoblade because The Martian is probably the funniest and most engrossing book I’ve ever read. This sucker’s kept me up to 2am twice now, and I’m the sort who dozes off well-rested in the middle of the day by well-loved and exciting Harry Potter and Isaac Asimov stuff. I hear the movie of The Martian is darned good, too, but I’m definitely finishing the book first. It’s flippin’ amazing.

• DevilishEggs says:

I seen the movie last night. It’s pretty good. What you’re saying of the book sounds better. The movie isn’t Ridley Scott’s finest hour, but it’s leagues more entertaining and coherent than Prometheus.

particlese says:

Oh, cool, didn’t realize it was a Ridley Scott film.

The book might night be equally awesome to all. However, a friend of mine says the movie leaves out a bunch of the math and extra-nerdy bits from the book but otherwise holds impressively close to it. I haven’t seen anything about the movie myself other than the normal poster, so all I can say on my own is that Matt Damon seems like the perfect choice for the role — I’m in no way upset that his face is attached to the character in the book.

40. Yukiomo says:

Afterbirth afterbirth afterbirth. Maybe a bit of Far Cry 2.

41. Zenicetus says:

I have a new game started in CivBERT (Rising Tide) to try out the latest patch changes. Still skeptical about this game, but there’s not much else going on in strategy-land right now. So I’m giving it another shot.

Other than that, probably some capital ship mayhem in Rebel Galaxy.

Aerothorn says:

So what I’m getting here is that John has left the site and you’ve made a bot that writes his articles proper, but giving a paragraph about “what I’m doing this weekend” is outside of its parameters.

43. horus_lupercal says:

Elite Dangerous for me, I plan on alternating between mining Palladium and kicking pirate arse so the station in the Pleiades gets built

44. DevilishEggs says:

Somehow got back into Wurm Online, which is like reconnecting with an old friend who talks your ear off and eats all the food in your fridge. Playing some Luftrausers because Vlambeer is brilliant and make me feel like Chuck Yeager while spinning around a crappy monochrome sprite. Got Deadly Premonition on sale on GOG, so might celebrate the holiday with it. Holding off on Pathologic HD so when the remake comes out I can brag that I’m still playing the REAL version.

zigguratvertigo says:

I have to rather shame-facedly admit that I’m trying to play Deus Ex Revision and not getting it to work. The mod is installed on a separate drive from my installation of Deus Ex GOTY, but trying to start the game is astonishing in the sense that it tells me nothing about why it can’t do the one thing it has to do. Software support 101. Grr.

46. Josh W says:

I am playing X-Com, both ways; long war was a bit too OTT for me so I’m playing the new XCOM with a few tweaks (randomised abilities and starting stats, marathon mode), and swapping to Xenonauts at the same time to play an “air and tech” strategy heavy game.

It’s brilliant, with a real best of both worlds feeling, although I keep going “ok remember to reserve time units” and putting all my guys on overwatch in their starting locations instead.

• Josh W says:

Ok, when I say “at the same time” I don’t literally have them running on the computer simultaneously, but perhaps worse for my sense of “not actually commanding the earth’s defenses”, I have them both running simultaneously in my head as I swap between them every few days.

47. kelmorg says:

Victor Vran. Galak-Z. Vermintide.

48. Foosnark says:

Rebel Galaxy and Victor Vran.

49. SuperDion says:

I play hearthstone and Mobilegame Hay Day. Trying to get a sapmachine. They keep on throwing more stuff in it. I feel like I have to play ketchup all the time.

50. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

So, as hinted at in previous ‘what you playings’ I’ve acquired a PS4, so trying out dirty console games this week and weekend. Results are suprising: Uncharted is an incredibly tedious slog of shooting arena after shooting arena. And Destiny is one of the best FPSes I’ve played in the last decade. Didn’t see that coming. It’s the most expensive game ever made, is it not? And they appear to have put all that money into the feel of weapons and the prettiness of skyboxes, and to he’ll with the story nonsense. Feels like a hallowed renaissance for Unreal era 3d card sellers. Haven’t played an MMO in quite a while either, so the obvious compulsion tricks are just working like crack coated candy at the moment. Will be back with you cynical, PC only grumpys next week I’m sure.

Also been playing Super Meat Boy again on account of it being free on the TV box and I forgot how brilliant that game is. Enjoying ‘Grade A+’ing my way through the early levels that caused me so many headaches back in the day.