Disney Infinity 3.0 Stars Now Warring On PC

PC is far from the ideal platform to play Disney Infinity [official site], as I understand it, because it doesn’t have a magic technoportal to zap its physical toys into the game (“toys-to-life” is the craptastic industry term I recently heard for such things). However, I also understand some people are not very picky about how and where they get more Star Wars, even more Star Wars, all of the Star Wars, so here: Disney Infinity 3.0 has arrived for Windows, two months after its console launch. It has a lot of Star Wars.

This means Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars characters are all now merrily romping around together, fighting, platforming, and all that. It’s made primarily for young’uns, obviously, but so’s Haribo and I can’t pretend I’m not hoping to snatch up discounted Horror Mix in the shops over the next week.

Disney Infinity 3.0 is free to download though Steam, the Windows Store, and its website, but that’s basically a demo.

If you want to do much of anything, you’ll need to pay for sets, characters, and all that. You can do this with microtransactions, or codes are included with the physical toys. Given that the magic put-a-figure-on-a-portal-and-wow-they-magically-appear-in-game isn’t an option on PC and that is half the appeal of the expensive toys, I can’t imagine many folks are playing exclusively on PC. I suspect it’s intended more as a bonus companion for folks already playing (or with kids playing) on console.

Anywho, here’s an old trailer showing some of the Star Wars-y bits:

1. Captain Deadlock says:

Currently listed on Steam with the user-chosen tags “Psychological Horror” and “Illuminati”.

• StarkeRealm says:

The full list is, Psychological Horror, Illuminati, Adventur, Nudity, Action, Gore, Violent, Anime, Horror, Sandbox, F2P, Memes.

That sounds like the perfect game to give to a kid.

2. tomimt says:

Is that an official DI Darth Vader? If so, the person who approved that should be fired pronto.

• Bull0 says:

Most of the characters in disney infinity are weirdly proportioned with big heads.

The game itself is a laugh – the combat is OK, the difficulty can be ramped up to a pretty challenging level and the tools for creating your own levels and sharing them online etc are really fairly deep. I bought it for my kid and we’ve played it a bunch.

3. The Sombrero Kid says:

Lol check out the reviews of this disgusting pile of crap if you want a laugh. This game is a giant sunk cost fallacy masquerading as a game. It seems to me it’s breaking the law in the UK at least. I’ve not played the game, just going off the reivews.

• mukuste says:

Seriously. Apparently you even need to pay for saveslots. The whole purpose of this thing seems to be extorting money out of parents by leveraging their children in the most cynical way possible.

• Bull0 says:

Pay for save slots… hmm?

I can only assume these are f2p microtransactions in the PC version? Nothing like that is present in the version I have (PS4).

• Themadcow says:

Yeah, PS4 version doesn’t contain anything like that. It’s a fantastic game for kids (mine is 6 and has spent many hours on it so far) and not bad for adults either. On the downside, I’ve spent around £60 on additional figures but that’s my choice and the figures themselves are pretty good quality.

• clippa says:

£594.67 if you want all current DLC :o
            My nephew is 6 too, we got the xbone version and a handful of figures. It didn’t hold our attention for very long.

• CptPlanet says:

If I get the game on PS4 and don’t spend extra money on figutres can it be enjoyable for me?

• socrate says:

Milking that Star wars till its dry and dead i see…seriously why do people buy SW stuff anymore?i just dont get it it was an amazing franchise but now its purely aimed at making children retard and old fanboy that can’t let go even more stupid and pathetic…don’t even get me started on how marvel is nowaday or superhero in general..oh wait how about putting stan lee in more shit because you know thats always funny…errr he seems now to be seen as the creator of everything superhero sadly just because people don’t know shit and how media hype stupidity.

• Duke Nukem says:

User reviews are a bit biased here though. People saw all the DLC and immediately brought out the pitchforks, and in this case it wasn’t so fair. You don’t need to buy all the stuff in offer, in fact you just need one or two packs (depending on what you intend to play) and the playsets are basically full games or expansion packs.
      That’s not to say that this game doesn’t have a lot of issues (there’s a bunch of tech problems, like the lack of a windowed mode, as documented here: link to steamcommunity.com )

• miscu says:

there’s questionable ethics with regards to the whole “toys as DLC” model, but those reviews are some of the most blatant entitled whining that’s become practically emblematic of the PC gaming community

you probably shouldn’t use them as a constructive basis for anything

4. tarasis says:

Hopefully Lego Dimensions will follow suit soon. I would really like to play it, but on my PC rather than my aging Xbox 360

5. Chaoslord AJ says:

Short time ago they had a 60$ Marvel character DLC some 21 characters.. Ridiculous, fishing from parents who can’t refuse their kids apparently, no other sane person would drop that cash for this.
    Strangely the pack is now removed however.

6. SuicideKing says:

“Gameplay Footage”

LOL.

7. skyturnedred says:

I still have no idea what Disney Infinity even is.