CoD: Black Ops III To Receive Modding And Map Tools

Call of Duty: Black Ops III [official site] looks just about weird enough to be interesting. Whether it’s Jeff Goldblum’s zombie-splatting magician, the introduction of full-on Chaos powers or the general rocket-powered leap into a robo-soldier sci-fi future, BLOPS the Third does not appear to be constrained by reason. Of course, it may still be restrained by corridors but on the server and modding side we can expect some freedom. Treyarch have announced that modding and map-making will be coming to the game sometime next year.

Here’s what we can expect and when:

We’ve been listening to one of your top requests and are excited to announce that modding and mapping are coming to Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC!

We’ve still got a lot of work left to do, but here’s our current plan:

• You will be able to create Maps & Game Modes and more!
  • We will include Unranked Dedicated Server Files with the tools so you can run servers with modded content anywhere you choose.
  • We will provide an Unranked Server Browser so you can easily find and join servers with modded content.
  • Closed Alpha target date: March 2016
  • The game itself is out on Friday so if you’re not interested in playing until all of these treats are in place, it might be worth hanging back until March 2016. BLOPS isn’t going anywhere. It’ll be waiting, and so will Goldblum. He’s been trapped inside the game for all time, like an insect in amber.

There’s a disclaimer, of course.

Please remember that this is software development, so things don’t always work out exactly as planned. Sometimes features slip or drop off altogether, sometimes they get replaced with other, more awesome features as we hit into limitations of our original plans.

If all of this comes to pass, I’m hoping a combination of user-created game modes and mapping tools will allow me to enjoy CoD multiplayer for the first time since World War II. I want to go full robot. I want to free Goldblum from the zombie mode and drop him in the middle of a robo-war. Until more details emerge – and Treyarch’s Cesar Stastny reckons there will be periodic blog updates – I’m going to assume that whatever tools are eventually available will be extremely limited. It’d be fantastic to be pleasantly surprised and, like the chaotic sci-fi weaponry itself, this is hopefully a step in the right direction.

Oh, and feast yer eyes on this:

Because I am apparently the oldest man in the world, I didn’t realise Cara was a famous person. And when I found out that she is a famous person, I assumed that Kevin was a famous person as well. I’ve spent the last five minutes trying to work out who he is:

Kevin Bacon

Kevin Keegan? Is this likely? Haven’t seen him recently

Kevin Costner (possible)

Kevin and Perry (that’s two people)

Kevin Smith

Kevin Sorbo (is playing one of the robots, so no)

Kevin Federline (not rapping enough)

Kevin Spacey (almost certainly)

1. SuicideKing says:

It’s like this will be the last BLOPS ever, and to commemorate that Treyarch’s like “hey, here, have fun. Activision is done looting you, they have Candy Crush now!”.

2. int says:

I wanna be like Kevin

3. skyturnedred says:

I will only buy this if I can play as Kevin. In third person, preferably.

4. Zack Wester says:

wait what C.O.D. whit mods…. when did I hear those two word together last time… C.O.D. 2 maybe, did C.O.D 3 have mods?
      Anyone here that knows the last C.O.D whit mode was?
      game I played was C.O.D. 2 or maybe 1 can´t remember.

Also I do wounder whats modeble and to what expend,
      can we make custom Starwars[franchise] single/multi player campaign?

5. socrate says:

bah don’t feel bad “famous” is a big word for these so called famous people one is a footballer i think the black guy basically did horrible movie and banged maria carey and also is some kind of announcer or w/e for that women show “america’s got talent” and the girl is a model that is also an actress(who isn’t these days right) which made horrible movie you shouldn’t even know and apparently did more then i knew she did but are still horrible unknown movie of todays quality….oh and she is of the cast of the disaster that is Suicide Squad..you know the horrible mess to be with will smith as the freaking deadeye!! ffs..not to mention ben afleck as batman…that can’t go wrong right..oh wait look at the entire cast that make literally no sense….im guessing this is hollywood trying to teach kids of today the lesson of the bad horrible batman that you end up having nightmare at night still today you know the one with arnold and then when you though the nightmare was over they put an even worst one with jim carey as the riddler and another horrible cast of people.

Anyway i think Kevin is just the dude everyone want to be the general non famous dude to draw the crowd in…so…you need the footballer to bring in the duchebag in

Then you need to have that popular face to bring in the stupid crowd and ethnicity just to be sure you’re not seen as a racist scum

then you bring in the hot model/actress for the duche again because they need extra effort and then young crowd who get hard on just watching that and of course the girl gamer and including the male who empower and whiteknight female in the hope of…getting noticed or who knows what goes on in their stupid mentality who are now seen as the biggest pain in the world and are apparently composed of 99% feminist who ask for power and not equality.

The really sad part is that CoD gun have now feedback and don’t shoot like freaking lazer and have improved overall in gameplay…while you still do stupid thing like running around in a circle twitch shooting people non stop…its sad that this as improvement while other shooter tend to go toward the old CoD mentality.

My theory is the very reality is suddenly collapsing on itself and cat will soon be dog.

6. JiminyJickers says:

Wow, that is pretty good. I enjoy the Black Ops games better than the other Call of Duty games, but I have only really played the campaigns recently when the games were being sold dirt cheap. The multiplayer is a bit too hardcore for me. Mod support might mean that I will end up getting this one.