Cheerydark Roguelikelike Dragon Fin Soup Out Today

Yeah, I'd murder that.

Do you like roguelikelikes? Would you, say, be interested in a turn-based action-RPG with a kooky take on fairytales? I’m not overly enamoured with zaniness e.g. Snow White as a cussin’ redneck bar owner but hey, Dragon Fin Soup [official site] in general does look fairly solid. After netting almost five times their goal on Kickstarter last year, developers Grimm Bros. are releasing the game in a few hours.

Story-wise, it’s going edgy ‘adult’ cheerydark fairytale, with Red Riding Hood as “a charming, yet raging alcoholic bounty hunter” and other reimaginings. Also, it seems to crib heavily from Discworld with a flat world atop the back of a turtle swimming through space, which is enthusiastic as homages go. But the point is, you get to murder monsters real hard. Moving around a grid-based world, you, well, mostly murder things. Along with a scripted Story Mode, it as a procedural survival mode, and an endless Labyrinth mode.

Look, it’s easier if I just show you this recent gameplay demo, because my head is filled with mush today and videos are more good to you than my garbage:

Dragon Fin Soup’s due on Steam and Humble in a few hours for £12.

Here’s the launch trailer too:

1. Xzi says:

Looks fun, surprised I hadn’t heard of it before.

2. Eight Rooks says:

Yeah, the storytelling could be good or could easily be cringeworthy, but that art does look very, very pretty. I was intrigued by the Kickstarter and I’m definitely wishlisting this – might pick it up in the next week or two unless I hear anyone making a convincing case it’s rubbish.

3. RedViv says:

More onto the log of backs, thanks to my Kickstarter excesses! And I also get a free copy on PS3 thanks to PS+, so that is grand!

4. Sian says:

“Once upon a time ’twas a great dragon turtle […]”

If this happened more often, I’d call it a pet peeve.

5. TΛPETRVE says:

What is it with those pseudo-Asian allusions? This is clearly a western game with a western (and also rather bland and insipid, if clearly competent) art direction, so throwing kana into your title and giving your world and characters Japanesque names just for the sake of it isn’t gonna accomplish anything but make you look like a tryhard.

• RuySan says:

Apydia did that in the early nineties and it looked bloody awesome

• Nereus says:

Ah yes, Robin. Truly the most Asian name they could have picked.

• Jac says:

I think you will find that Wiggling Arm is in fact the asianest of them all.

6. Xzi says:

BTW you put “Dungeon Fin Soup” on the bottom of the article rather than “Dragon Fin Soup.”

Phasma Felis says:

At 1:25 in the gameplay showcase video, the guy takes time to–apparently sincerely–explain what “turn-based” means. Wha?

That and the oxymoronic “turn-based action-RPG” really makes me raise an eyebrow.

Phasma Felis says:

Also, it doesn’t help that the narrator keeps saying “’tis” and “’twas” out loud without apparent irony.

8. April March says:

It looks very nice. It also looks a lot like RPS perennial favourite Dungeons of Dreadmor.

9. socrate says:

Tired of Roguelike,tired of kickstarter that add nothing,tired of 2d now being way too common because you end up with 100x less work,tired of discworld copy and paste that now people consider as new and innovative for some retarded reason,tired of the same turn based genre that require less work and are now flooding the industry,tired of people that think that watching them in a small corner of the screen is actually interesting compared to watching the game itself,tired of every damn video game expo that end up being uninteresting and dull,tired of indie dev that adds nothing to gaming overall but just redo stuff that was done 10 year ago or more.

• Frank says:

Your industry is not being flooded. Whatever it is you prefer to these excellent attributes (2D, turn-based, roguelite), there’s plenty of it out there for you, as much as there ever has been.

If you don’t like indie games, you can just use Origin and other AAA publisher platforms and get all your gaming news from them.

• JiminyJickers says:

Well said, fully agree.

It astounds me that people don’t realise that there isn’t a yearly game quota. A game they don’t like being created doesn’t stop one that they do like being created.

• trashmyego says:

Then make games. Then do something. Then find something else to care about. Then find a better use of your time than complaining in anonymous comment sections about something you’re supposedly tired of.

You know what I’m tired of? Emotionally stunted gamers who can’t do anything but spew discontent in the face of anything that doesn’t fit their perfect desires. People who are so mindlessly self-involved that they don’t try to seed discussion, but instead scorn the concept of opinion and just fling mud blindly. I’m tired of the cowardly troll culture, eating at the heart of gaming, that diminishes the worth of our discourses with its excuse.

• Kaeoschassis says:

This is pretty much the exact comment I wanted to make a few hours ago, but unlike you I had neither the physical nor emotional energy to bother. Well said.

To add my own contribution, no 2d is not ‘less effort’. No turn-based is not ‘less effort’. No seriously creative person I’ve ever met would ever dismiss something so completely in such a thoughtlessly casual manner – and if you’re not creating these sorts of things yourself then either provide useful critique or go away.

• AngoraFish says:

I’m tired of developers who confuse 3D graphics for gameplay.

• ButteringSundays says:

Oh well.

• Psychomorph says:

I’m tired of being tired.

10. anHorse says:

It simultaneously looks pretty and really cheap, although it’s ultimately mechanics that matter in this sort of game

11. HERP DERP NANOMACHINES says:

It looks cool, but those texture effects are egregious! Seriously those thick (dank?) clouds are irritating.

• MadMinstrel says:

I agree. I played this for half an hour and half the time you don’t really know what’s happening because it all blends together so bad. Unplayable for me.

12. rabbit says:

I take far too much enjoyment from the fact that the enemy in the header screenshot is a ‘Wiggling Arm’

13. tehfish says:

Apart from initially wanting to back this on kickstarter, (i was broke at the time) i haven’t heard anything about this game since and had completely forgotten about it until it popped up on the PS+ monthly games last night.

After a couple of hours with it (the PSVita version here) i’m enjoying it a lot.
    The difficulty scaling is a bit odd (first quest so ultra easy i hadn’t even noticed the game was turn based, second quest i died three times in a row) i still need to get my head around the crafting(or vendors) for ways to make/buy more gun ammo, yet so far i’m enjoying it greatly.

14. Nixitur says:

The mining and crafting aspects frankly seem like cruft that was added for the sake of adding it.
    I may be wrong, of course, but it reminds me immensely of the surge of indie games we’ve had a few years ago that had mining and crafting without really doing anything interesting with it except add more grind.

15. Taerdin says:

What exactly is keeping this game from ‘roguelike’ status? I honestly don’t know.