Democracy 3: Africa Expandalone Announced

'We do not have all of our voter artwork yet, hence only one woman' sez Harris.

“If you want to play a deep, balanced politics simulator, and prove your ideals correct, then Democracy probably won’t satisfy past a couple of hours of play,” our Graham said in his Wot I Think of Democracy 3. “But if you want to teach someone about the basic connections that form society, Democracy 3 is the perfect way to do it.”

Come next year, you’ll be able to poke at the underpinnings of other, perhaps less familiar societies, as the political simulator’s developers Positech have announced a standalone expansion named Democracy 3: Africa [official site].

D3: Africa will let you join the ruling government of Nigeria, Egypt, South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Zambia, Senegal, Tunisia, Botswana, and Mauritius, with “a series of new events and dilemmas tuned to the issues and situations that are relevant in contemporary Africa.” Positech head honch Cliff Harris adds in the announcement, “Poor infrastructure and low levels of literacy are not much of a problem in the west, but they are definite factors in Africa. The problems are different, making for different strategy, and hopefully, a very different and interesting gaming experience.”

Africa was Harris’s idea, but development’s mostly being handled by Jeff Sheen of Stargazy Studios.

The original Democracy 3 simulated the UK, USA, Australia, Canada, France, and Germany. Yes, thankfully Harris is at least aware of the problems in modelling societies they don’t know too much about. He says:

“… yes, we will probably get the tone of some of this wrong, and people will accuse us of misrepresenting African countries and people, and we expect to learn a lot, and to be in full-on listening mode. We are two white guys in the UK making a game about Africa. I’ve never even been there. I get that. I know we will make mistakes, but they won’t be intentional. If we have any ‘agenda’ here at all, its just to develop a game with an unusual and interesting setting, and to learn a little about Africa in the process.”

If they haven’t already, it’d be mighty sensible to reach out to communities, organisations, and game developers who know more than “two white guys in the UK”. Harris himself has an interest in the continent, having recently paid for the building of a school in Cameroon.

The expandalone’s due in 2016, probably before the end of March.

1. Zankman says:

What, standalone?

Ugh, lame.

• Cinek says:

My guess is that the sales of last DLC were so horribly bad that this is their only hope to earn some money from all the dev time put into that… user interface.

• JiminyJickers says:

My thoughts exactly, hopefully it will be able to integrate with the full game, otherwise I won’t bother. Don’t want to install the same game twice just to get some different scenarios.

2. anHorse says:

Eh Democracy’s kinda interesting as a tool but there’s very little in there which provides any entertainment for me

Still that’s more enjoyable than positech’s social engineering games (kudos and redshirt/kudos in space)

3. Wetcoaster says:

Heck, they didn’t know all that much about the other English-speaking Anglo-Saxon countries last time either.

Separating ‘armed police’ from ‘police’ was a giveaway…

4. FurryLippedSquid says:

“low levels of literacy are not much of a problem in the west”

This man has not been to Stoke-on-Trent.

5. Jediben says:

I do hope witchcraft gets fair representation as a means 9f government. Defeating my opponents with the judicious application of chicken guts, bottles of urine and thinly veiled threats against their first born would be delightful. Also don’t forget economies run by 419 scams and telemarketing.

6. RabbitIslandHermit says:

Hmm, I really liked the fake Africanish nation in Democracy 2 so I guess I’ll keep an eye on this.

7. banananas says:

Meh. If they tease a Democracy 4: Anarchy someday, I’ll be intrigued.

8. drinniol says:

My biggest problem with the game is that it completely misunderstands sovereign fiat economies and will send your government bankrupt.

9. Nereus says:

Definitely interested in this as somebody keen on all things African. Will be interesting to see if they get it right or not because outside perspectives on that continent are frequently inaccurate at best and generally soul-destroying at worst. Doesn’t help that the history behind many of the countries take fascinating divergences though.

10. Ergates_Antius says:

Then you’re in a for a long wait, you’re never going to get one, such a thing is beyond our current capabilities on every level.