Sonic Lost World Spindashes Onto PC

I didn’t mention on Monday that Sonic Lost World [official site] had just arrived on PC because, well, even enthusiastic impressions seem to boil the 2013 hedgehog ’em up down to being competent or good for a modern Sonic game – damning with faint praise, that. But! I know The Blue Blur (I do still laugh at Sega using that nickname seriously) means a lot to some folks and while I’m certain I’ll never again feel the joy of Sonic 2, don’t we live in hope? Don’t even bad Sonic games remind us of happy times? The point is: Sonic Lost World has arrived on Windows, two years after its Wii U debut.

Lost World is one of those Sonics with a mix of 2D platforming and 3D zip-o-zoom levels. Also, apparently Sonic does parkour? Sure! The PC release also includes the Nightmare Zone DLC, which is a boss rush mode smashing into characters from ye olde NiGHTS into Dreams. As for port features, Sega says it’ll run at 60fps, support keyboard and gamepads, and come with the usual Steam gubbins.

That’s it. It’s out. You probably already know if you’re going to buy it or not, depending on how much you dig the dream of Sonic. It’s £19.99 on Steam. Here’s a trailer:

(Some would say that Sonic games were always bad, even the very first ones. I… might be swayed that Sonic 1 was a bit iffy. However, Sonic 2, with its spindash-charging and all those colours, is such a merry adventure. It’s a big weird world I was very happy to explore, keen to see what was next. Sonic 1 was too crude, Sonic 3 got too elaborate and had too many bad levels, but yeah, I’d still go to bat for Sonic 2.)

From this site

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

The best Sonics were the likes of Chaos on the Game Gear. Ah the joy of rushing through the game until the battery died about half an hour later.

2. Da5e says:

Sonic 1 is perhaps a little less fun than Sonic 2, but the colours! The soundtrack! The drugged-up special stage! It’s still awesome.

Sonic 3, and everything that came after it, was a huge disappointment

• Pulstar says:

Stop with the blasphemy, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of the finest platformers of all history.

• ikazrima says:

Take all my internet likes for today.

• Blastaz says:

The way sonic and knuckles allowed you to plug in the old cartridges and replay them was awesome.

Knuckles could just cheat and glitch his way through like nobodies business.

Oh the happy care free days when Sega where good guys…

3. pullthewires says:

Sonic 2 better than Sonic 1 or 3? Why not just write “I am not credible” 50 times in different fonts?

Seriously though, Sonic 2 was way too easy even as a child. I still remember the collective disappointment returning to school after the Christmas holidays :(

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

You can’t accept that other people have feelings or opinions that are different than yours? Why not just write “I am a sociopath” 50 times?

• pullthewires says:

You can’t accept hyperbole when talking about video games? Why not just write just write 50 times 50 times?

• Rich says:

Sonic 2’s final boss was the hardest of them all. No rings meant instant death!

4. Wowbagger says:

Sonic and Knuckles will always have a place in my heart, blown away by the cartridgeception thing you could do with the older games.

5. DizzyCriminal says:

I agree; Sonic 2 is the best of the series, Sonic 3 was too cluttered and you never felt like you were moving as fast as in 1 or 2. Sonic CD is probably the next best, it the race with Metal Sonic, and a kick ass soundtrack. Sonic Advance (GBA) is pretty good for 2D Sonic fun with a modern (well, 13 years old as opposed to 23 years old) twist.

6. lowprices says:

Has anyone else tried to run PC ports of Sega games on a laptop? I’ve had both Valkyria Chronicles and Sonic Generations refuse to acknowledge the graphics card and only recognise the integrated graphics, which results in the game either running badly or not at all.

I loved the old Sonic games back in the day, and would like to play the better new games, but not going to bother if this is a repeated issue.

Oakreef says:

If it’s an nVidia Optimus setup check out the PC Gaming Wiki article for Sonic Generations. They have a potential fix listed.

• lowprices says:

Thanks!

• lowprices says:

UPDATE: I got it running by manually editing config files to trick the game into using the nVidia card. Sometimes I really hate PC gaming.

• Buggery says:

PC gaming is fine. I too hate laptop gaming.

JiminyJickers says:

It is all Optimus’ fault. I hate Nvidia Optimus, I had a laptop with dedicated Nvidia card but the drivers still forced Optimus, argh!!

bsplines says:

I got Valkyria Chronicles to work by forcing the GPU through the nVidia control Panel.

7. Philomelle says:

The opinions of my Wii-owning friends are divided. Apparently it’s not as godawful as Sonic’s tenure on PS2 and PS3, but still lacks something that made the original games stand out.

I disagree that Sonic 3 was in any way more elaborate than Sonic 2. I actually managed to plot out a perfect route through Sonic 3 as a wee 13-year old that allowed me to unlock Super Sonic as early as Zone 2 and effortlessly wreck the rest of the game, then bring over that momentum into the Sonic & Knuckles expansion. I can still replicate that route 17 years later.

Sonic 2? It’s still some sort of arcane magic to me. I just can’t make heads or tails out of its level design.

cpt_freakout says:

Have you ever seen the maps of Sonic levels (any of ’em before 3D)? If not, I recommend you look some up, they’re wonderful things to look at, and you get a sense of why the move to 3D wasn’t just as good an idea as it could’ve been – the kind of intrepid dashing that those games offered (maybe as opposed to the more logical, planned pace of Mario) depended on how beautifully confusing and nonsensical the environments were. Finding that perfect path was a feat for me, if only cause you couldn’t really look forward, so kudos to you!

8. Marclev says:

Sonic 1 was utterly brilliant on the Master System.

Could never get into the Mega Drive version, not for lack of repeatedly trying over the years, it just didn’t seem as fluid (rather surprisingly perhaps).

9. DrollRemark says:

Anyone that says that Sonic 2 was not a good game is just awful. Awful.

Oakreef says:

The physics are a bit weird but a lot of the stages are really fun. Definitely digging the 3D levels more than the 2D ones. Some weird physics make Sonic feel really sluggish in 2D in this game. The physics are weird in general TBH but it stands out most in the 2D levels. I’m also trying to find a bit of time to see if I can get into modding it. Digging around with the community made tools ATM but they’re still being updated of course what with the new version only just being out.

11. Colthor says:

I’ve been playing the 3DS version of Sonic 2 recently. It’s good, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still the best.

I did not use the same words about the monkeys when I was twelve.

12. TomxJ says:

Sonic 2 was great fun back in primary school! More recently though Generations has given me a bubbly nostalgic feeling so i’m not ready to dismiss this new installment.

• Eleven says:

I love Sonic Generations, more of the same would be awesome.

13. c-Row says:

This looks a lot like Sonic Generations which was pretty good in my book.

14. Meestasparkul says:

Can you imagine if Nintendo went the way of Sega and completely shat upon their mascot? Would they too churn out endless naff titles, some with the protagonist making out with animals? Christ Super Mario 06 would have been harrowing to witness.

15. Jackablade says:

“Competent” would place it pretty close to top ten in the depressingly vast list of Sonic games.

16. shagen454 says:

This was looking good from the trailers but then I read from a bunch of reviews that the controls are super aggravating.

17. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Good to see his not blue arms.

18. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Yeah Sonic 1 was sketchy, the idea hadn’t fully shaped up at that point yet.

particlese says:

Well, that’s unexpected. I was completely repulsed by that trailer a few days ago, mostly on account of the music and the orgy of new, talking, but totally PEGI rating-appropriate characters. Since you say it’s good (-ish), though, I’ll check out some let’s-plays this evening and prepare to eat my words.

particlese says:

Hmmm, looks like more of Colors with some Mario Galaxy and (Saturn) Nights mixed in.

OM NOM NOM NOM