ASA Rulings: Robot Dogs, Sugar Puffs And Time Team

Yes, a GIANT ROBOT DOG.

The Advertising Standards Agency publishes rulings every Wednesday on everything from psychic hotlines to videogames. I’m incredibly fond of their rulings. I think it’s mostly because of the language the companies use to defend themselves, breaking videogame concepts down and presenting them in what’s intended to be a neutral manner.

The upheld complaints are generally less entertaining for obvious reasons – the concerns have been, in some sense, valid. But the *not upheld* complaints often have an air of the ridiculous about them. Through the formal structure of the rulings you get a sense of raised eyebrows or rolled eyes, of overblown sincerity. I’ve also learned some unexpected things, like how many sugar puffs are in a portion…

Here are some of my favourites from the last few years:

ASA Adjudication on Zenimax Europe Ltd

The Evil Within

A video-on-demand (VOD) ad for the video game ‘The Evil Within’ was seen between 19:00 and 19:30 during an episode of ‘Time Team’. The ad began with a shot of a record player and the sound of classical music, which was replaced abruptly by a shriek and low-pitched atonal music. The ad then showed a metal door with a small window, and a close up of a man making barbed wire. This was interspersed with footage of a platform descending, carrying a figure wearing a bloodied apron, holding a large mallet and with a metal box covering his head. There was then a shot of a bubbling red pool from which a figure arose, covered in red liquid. This sequence was interspersed with footage of burning flowers, an arm reaching out of the metal door, shots of the character whose head was covered by the metal box, and an eye with a red iris. During these sequences extracts from three reviews were superimposed over the footage, two of which referred to the horror genre of the game and the third describing the game as “wonderfully vile.” The product name was then displayed on screen, alongside shots of the packaging and the PEGI 18 logo.

The complaint was that Time Team is a family show so having an ad for The Evil Within was inappropriate. It ended up not being upheld as Channel 4 uses a number of broadcast audience indices and for Time Team on 4OD they showed sufficiently low likelihood of child viewers that the ad placement was deemed fine.

What is wrong with children these days? Time Team used to be a show I looked forward to every week when I was 10 years old. I saw one of the geophysics experts on a train and it was like seeing Kim Kardashian, I was that excited. Time Team even came to my home town and I bumped into (like, physically walked into) Tony Robinson while he was chatting on his mobile. I demand modern children improve their attitude to Time Team immediately. Also that there be a Time Team level in a shooter because all those hip-height walls would come in handy.

“Let’s rush A long!”
“They’re in ‘Midden’!”
“How do you know it’s a midden?”
“Do you see all those oyster shells…?”

ASA Adjudication on Honey Monster Foods Ltd

Serving suggestion: wasp maze

The website www.honeymonster.co.uk, for Sugar Puffs cereal, featured the “Munching Monster” game, in which the Honey Monster had to eat as many Sugar Puffs as possible and avoid the wasps.

The complaint was about whether the game encouraged “excessive consumption” of Sugar Puffs and poor nutritional habits in children. What I loved about the response to this was that Honey Monster Foods has worked out how many puffs are in a portion of Sugar Puffs and uses that in their defence.

“They said the recommended 30 g portion of Sugar Puffs comprised about 450 individual puffs and that a player would need to be well into level 3 before the Honey Monster had consumed that number, which no player had yet come close to achieving.”

So basically the Honey Monster is incredibly inefficient at eating his own cereal, preferring some weird wasp-infested maze to a bowl and spoon.

The complaint wasn’t upheld because children were unlikely to associate the Honey Monster’s consumption of sugar puffs with their own. I’d say that was fair.

ASA Adjudication on Electronic Arts Ltd

Light-hearted.

A TV ad, for a console game, included an animated character that had a human body and a dog’s head. It stated “Are you an animal person? Well, not like me cos most people are made up entirely of person. And if you’re a person person, then you’d be missing out on the duality of life. With the Sims 3 Pets you can have a pet or be a pet. You can play both ways. So, go on, experiment. Chase some tail. Play with life”. The ad also included animated scenes of a man playing a guitar surrounded by animals and other people. He was also shown in a bath and then appeared about to kiss a woman on a bed.

As you might have guessed, the complaints related mostly to the couple on the bed – likely to cause widespread offence and unsuitable for children. They weren’t upheld and the ASA points out most people would see the ad as light-hearted and mildly suggestive.

The latter is partially referenced in EA’s response which has the glorious beginning: “the ad was designed to be light hearted and that was reflected by the main character being a man with a dog’s head.”

I might start using that as my main defence. “Your honour, I was being light-hearted – you can tell because I was wearing a frog costume at the time the incident took place…”

ASA Adjudication on Electronic Arts Ltd

So beautiful I might cry

A TV ad, for an 18 rated console game, was broadcast in April 2011. It included a rapid sequence of action scenes, in war scenarios. Characters held large guns and the scenes included gun fire, rocket fire, multiple explosions, tanks, helicopters and jets. Text on screen included “‘THE BEST-LOOKING FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER TO DATE.’ – DESTRUCTOID” and “‘BATTLEFIELD 3 IS UNNERVINGLY BEAUTIFUL.’ – JOYSTIQ”.

From the ruling: “‘BATTLEFIELD 3 IS UNNERVINGLY BEAUTIFUL. – JOYSTIQ’ formed part of a review of the product and viewers were therefore likely to interpret it as a comment on the quality of the game, rather than on war itself.”

I like the idea that some people could have thought Joystiq was a site which went round reviewing the aesthetics of modern conflict.

ASA Adjudication on Zenimax Europe Ltd

Note the giant robot dog

An ad for the video game ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ was displayed on a gaming website, www.eurogamer.net. An ad bordered the home page and was headed “Wolfenstein: The New Order …] HOVER TO EXPAND THE VIDEO” and pictured two figures holding guns. A PEGI 18 symbol was also shown. Hovering over the top section of the border for three seconds, without clicking, opened a video trailer ad over the home page and played automatically. On-screen text at the start of the video stated “MATURE 17+ … Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs”. The video included a scene depicted in black and white where two Nazi officers wearing gas masks walked amongst the bodies of dead peace protestors. One Nazi soldier was shown executing a man on the ground with a bullet to the head, whilst a robot animal walked in the background. The trailer included other scenes of game footage which depicted people being killed or hurt, including by being shot. Dialogue included “What the fuck did I just do?”, “What you been up to …? Shooting, stabbin’, strangling Nazis” and “Well, I’m on the motherfucking moon”.

The complaint was about the “offensive and distressing” content and the fact that the Eurogamer homepage doesn’t have any age restrictions so kids could view the ad.

The response has a lot of talk about the percentage of adults in Eurogamer’s audience as well as the presence of PEGI ratings and the method by which you get the ad to play. But my favourite part of the “Not Upheld” ruling was the ASA reporting Zenimax’s reaction because it includes the line:

“They said that any sense of realism in the filmed footage in the opening section of the ad would have been offset by the music used − a Germanic reworking of the popular folk song ‘House of the Rising Sun’ − and by the presence of the giant robot dog.”

Seems legit if you ask me.

This post was created for and made possible by the RPS Supporter Program. Thanks for your funding!

1. Zallgrin says:

Can you make this a semi-regular feature? Because I laughed a lot and these type of discussions are really something I never thought existed.

• thedosbox says:

Seconded.

bsplines says:

Yes, that was most wonderful. And unexpected. I too would appreciate more of this sort of thing.

• Ross Angus says:

I remember the Pipwick Papers. She’s a fickle lass, our Pip.

• Tom89 says:

I actually work in TV compliance and I can confirm that the ASA and Ofcom rulings are regularly this batshit insane. It’d make a worthwhile column for sure.

To be fair to them though you wouldn’t believe the crap that people try to get away- outside of major broadcasters it’s more or less wall-to-wall scams, sex and ultraviolence. Sometimes all three, simultaneously. As far as work is concerned ASA is the ‘enemy’, but dear god am I appreciative of them as a consumer!

• mippy says:

I work in TV compliance too! High five!

I get to see a *lot* of game trailers, because as graphics have gotten better, they become too realistic to be shown before the watershed.

Dez says:

I’d like to see more of these as well, in agreement with the posters above.

distantlurker says:

See *this* is the problem right here!

Every time (literally *every* *single* *time*) I take my Giant Robot Dog for a walk around the park, people assume everything must not be real and start stealing each others cars or punching trees to collect sticks.

Honestly, the state of modern society makes you want to weep.

3. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

WON’T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

• SupaMonkeh says:

Well.. if they were thinking of the children, their children wouldn’t have unrestricted unmonitored access to the internet would they?

Qazinsky says:

I keep seeing references to Pip wearing a frog suit, is this like a regular occurence…?

tigerfort says:

It’s very hard to find pictures of Pip not wearing a frog onesie, provided you only look at the header image for her youtube channel rather than, say, doing an image search.

distantlurker says:

I think that’d make you perfectly qualified for a job at IGN :P

• Philippa Warr says:

Ah – it’s an old joke/reference point. I have a frog kigu. I wore it in what used to be my profile picture for everything from Twitter to YouTube and I also wear it around the house because it’s warm and my house gets chilly and have sometimes streamed on Twitch while wearing it. I swapped it out just after Christmas on most social media.

Skabooga says:

She picked it up in World 3 and hasn’t been hit since.

tigerfort says:

Dear Pip, please stop making me feel so old, yrs, Tigerfort. (Who would definitely have watched Time Team at the age of ten if only they had started broadcasting it in the relevant decade.)

Serrit says:

Gah now I need to go and find this Germanic version of House of the Rising Sun :-) (not hard).
    Enjoyed the article though!

7. bonuswavepilot says:

I developed an abiding love for Time Team in a early episode when Tony was still learning the ropes and foolishly jumped into a trench without permission to be told off by Phil Harding. A West Country inflected ‘Get out my trench, Tony!’ remains my personal motto for the series.

8. LTK says:

This is a marvelous case of bureaucracy gone right. Normally you would expect a body of regulations such as these to become tangled up in itself, making incomprehensible rulings mired in red tape, but here they have operationalized and abstracted common sense to the singularity point, so that their decisions loop back around to being, well, what a normal person would do. It’s astounding.

FhnuZoag says:

In general, bureaucracy is only noticeable when things go wrong. A successful and efficient paper pusher is basically invisible.

• mattevansc3 says:

Slight correction. Bureaucracy is only noticeable when the applicant does something wrong.

Signed
        A Paper Pusher.

• cannonballsimp says:

What I can’t understand about bureaucracy is the fundamental question of how desks have been able to accumulate so much control over everyday life in the modern world. Just looking at them (I’m checking out mine right now) you wouldn’t think they’d have it in them.

• Llewyn says:

By the simple means of most of them being more intelligent than the humans sitting next to them and “working”.

9. golem09 says:

The bigger problem with that EG ad is of course auto playing video without clicking. That should be banned in the entire internet.

10. melnificent says:

The ASA did find against Alien: Colonial Marines twice (2013 and 2015)…. The second was because publisher was still using “demo footage” as final in game stuff in 2015. Still have the ASA emails about the second one :)

Harlander says:

When was this published for supporters? I seem to remember it being a fair while back..

Qazinsky says:

The first comment is from 03/02/2015 so I guess that’s the day it was released.

I also got quite surprised to see my own comment here, don’t exactly remember the article.

12. Turkey says:

My first time encounter with the honey monster. Why does he have ambiguously scrunched evil eyebrows? He looks like a creep.

13. GWOP says:

Thank you for going through tedious lawyer lingo to bring us these gems.

14. TheAngriestHobo says:

“The complaints were because the ad was shown during a football match at 6.15pm and a) kids might be watching and b) it glorified war.”

That’s right! We can’t have our children exposed to anything violent during football games!

15. icarussc says:

This is so hilarious. Thank you, Pip! If you guys poached Livingstone from PCG (seriously, did you see his Coast Guard piece yesterday?) you’d have a dream team of funny games writing!

16. April March says:

The Frog Misadventureress Begins.