Seems Blizzard Are Revamping Diablo 2, StarCraft, WC3

[Update: Oh! Blizzard told GameSpot it’s simply to maintain them. Dreams are always so short-lived. Hey, maybe do consider revamping them though! That would be lovely. Official support for modern resolutions in Diablo II would be a grand start.]

Once a games studio has been around for long enough, different generations of players will each have their own idea of the devs’ finest days. Perhaps like many in their early thirties, the Blizzard games I think of most fondly are Diablo II, the first StarCraft, and Warcraft III (which isn’t to say I dislike their modern games, of course). If you’re in a similar position, good news! Going by a job listing, it looks like Blizzard are planning to tart up those three classics.

The listing – seeking a ‘senior software engineer, classic games’ – explains the idea behind the job:

“Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

“We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.”

The job’s responsibilities will include:

• Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
  • Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
  • Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
  • Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.

All of which sounds like they’re working on revamped re-releases, remasters rather than remakes. Some sort of grand Blizzard Throwback Classics Collection or something.

I suppose it’s possible that they’re planning a series of big patches. Blizzard have always been good about keeping old classics updated: a decade after first releasing Diablo II, they were still adding new things. Still, it’s been long enough that I suspect no, probably shiny new updated versions.

BlizzCon is this weekend, so maybe Blizz will have something to say then. Or maybe this plan is a still early enough that they won’t say anything yet. Who knows!

1. Lobotomist says:

I would like to see diablo 1 updated. Why no love for that great game ?

• Generator22 says:

Google “Diablo 1 Belzebub Mod”, it’s an incredible HD mod that brings the experience to a whole new level.

• socrate says:

Didn’t even know about this it actually look pretty nice thx

2. BobbyDylan says:

Agreed. Also, why no Warcraft 1 and Warcraft 2 remakes? Blizzard must not want our money.

• Juan Carlo says:

Warcraft 1 would be dull as hell. Warcraft 2 would be nice, but its SVGA 2D graphics never really age.

3. slabgar says:

I would dearly like to see Rock and Roll Racing Online…

4. mukuste says:

Why does this job listing sound more like an advertisement…

• UppityTeapot says:

To be fair, all job listings are adverts – they’re trying to sell themselves to prospective employees.

5. Aufklaerer says:

“We need engineers to help maintain our legacy games. We have a history of maintaining our games for many years. Our earlier games are still played and enjoyed today, so we want to continue to maintain them for those communities.”
    link to gamespot.com

So just maintance work, it seems

6. Det. Bullock says:

I never had issues with Diablo II Lord of Destruction on win7 64bit, it works flawlessly.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

One of the few games to work next to flawlessly under Windows 98.
      Including alt-tab, a rarity back then.
      At least Diablo 3 is almost fixed now – the random disconnects becoming fewer over time.

7. zaphod42 says:

>Some sort of grand Blizzard Throwback Classics Collection or something.

Less that, more just updating old Blizzard games to run on the new B.net client. They’ve made comments to this effect in the past.

8. Freud says:

Those money grubbing fools! Oh, wait what? Never mind.

9. Skeletor68 says:

That was very unintentionally cruel RPS :(

I still jump into D2 every now and then. Not particularly good at it, but so much fun.

10. Turkey says:

Ah, the golden era of Blizzard. Lost Vikings, Blackthorne, Rock and Roll Racing. I wonder whatever happened to those guys.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

It’s a popular legend something with Activision butchering Blizzard and removing all the creative folks from Blizzard North. Try the D3-forums.

• geisler says:

Those people got old, rich, and stopped being creatively hungry. Basically because their checklist formulaic templates for developing games keep printing money for them. This can be applied to almost every AAA developer with long running franchises.

11. Williz says:

Fuck yes hopefully they keep the multiplayer and custom maps intact for wc3. Yesssss

12. mollemannen says:

wonder if this is because of windows 10 dropping old directx support.

13. Punning Pundit says:

I have memories of a series of SC2 maps that were recreations of the SC1 campaign. They even handled mineral patches and Vespine geyser depletion the way SC1 did.

I’d love to see that kind of restoration project from Blizzard. Take all their older games and bring them into a modern engine with modern prettiness. Maybe even a modern UI.

I do know about the way 2D unit movement makes SC1 play very differently than identical 3D units would. I’m not sure that’s an unsolvable problem, though.

• Punning Pundit says:

Also: I don’t think there’s any good reason (beyond money) that War3 couldn’t be dumped into the SC2 engine. Seems like the biggest hurdle would be creating all the new art assets. But it’s a 3D game in a 3D engine, so it should be a fairly straightforward problem.

I bet there a Hoard of current and former WoW players who would love to delve more deeply into the lore.

14. PancakeWizard says:

“Official support for modern resolutions in Diablo II would be a grand start.”

Isn’t that kind of impossible without doing the art from the ground up? It’s sprite-based and just increasing the resolution would mean showing a greater area which would unbalance the still-played multiplayer, wouldn’t it?

15. Monggerel says:

“Like many in their early thirties…”

Those games were literally my favorite things when I was 13 a decade ago! I ain’t even 30 now! Woo! I’m young! I’m so fucking young! Wish I didn’t have a hereditary heart condition and scoliosis lol
    My hair’s going grey
    I’m out of breath
    what is this
    is this time
    noone told me when to run
    what have I missed
    oh god
    please
    don’t

16. kud13 says:

I may be interested I this… provided they don’t try to sell “always online” as a new and exciting “feature”

17. sonofsanta says:

What I love best about this article is that I had almost the exact same thought as the alt-text on the header image before I moused over it. Seriously, though: a druid?

18. racccoon says:

So Diablo 1 is too precious, as I new it would be.
    I played the crap out that game, what a real gem it is.

19. Vickers says:

I would be a lot more inclined to get back into Diablo 2 if it didn’t have the stupid “Log in every 3 months or we delete all your characters” rule. I’d be more excited about that than an HD update. Also battle.net client support would be amazing.

20. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Read it as: “Blizzard are planning to fart up those three classics.”

21. Chiron says:

I think Diablo 2 is responsible for most of my RSI problems.

Good game, appeals to me more than D3 with its always on MP.

22. rexx.sabotage says:

c’mon blizzard, you dump 6 billion dollars on candy crush and you won’t share more of that love with the classics that helped earn you that 6 bil?

for shame.