The End Is Nigh: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer

Through a combination of avoidance and intentionally vague marketing, I’ve managed to come this close to the release of Fallout 4 [official site] without knowing a great deal about the setting and plot. Yes, the bombs have fallen and, yes, there’s at least the one Vault involved in whatever happens next, but I had no idea what I’d be looking for out there in the New England wasteland. A Water Chip? A Garden of Eden Creation Kit? The Brotherhood of Steel’s corporate headquarters?

The launch trailer, embedded below, told me more about the game than anything else I’ve seen to date. It also made me rather more excited than I’d been until now.

Final warning – if you’re planning to go in relatively cold, you might want to skip this one. It’s not just a logo and some flashbangs, and while it presumably doesn’t give away too much, there’s a fair bit of dialogue and a few locations I hadn’t seen before now.

I think the reason this works for me is that I don’t particularly care about the systems, be they new or old: VATS, crafting, perks, SPECIAL, companions – it’s all important, of course, but none it will matter a jot if I don’t enjoy spending time in the game’s world and interacting with the folks who live there.

Even though the trailer is very ‘Main Quest Noble Duty’, there’s enough in there to suggest this might be a more colourful and varied experience than Fallout 3. And, damn it all, I always live in hope that these big RPGs will absorb me completely for a month or two. It’s also kind of pathetic how much I want to build and decorate my own house out there in a ruined world.

You’ll be able to preload if you’ve pre-ordered, and Bethesda have already provided information about release times:

“Want to know exactly when you can start playing Fallout 4? Digitally the game will become available on November 10, 2015, at 12:01 am (local time) in all territories (In North America, the unlock time will be 12:01 am EST), except Asia (available at 12 am on Wednesday, November 11th) and Japan (available at 12 am on Thursday, December 17th).”

The Pip-Boy companion app is already available, having appeared on the Android and iOS app stores earlier today. Most of what’s on offer in the app won’t be of use until the game’s actually out but when you do have the game, you’ll be able to bring up maps and inventories on a second screen. That actually sounds useful. Expect to find me down the pub with an iPad glued to my forearm sometime next week.

1. Infinitron says:

Bethesda: “MIT is evil!”

• Michael Fogg says:

Well, this anti-science theme was the basis for Old World Blues already where scientists are portayed as crazy and the source of all evil (as opposed to, say, politicians or capitalists…)

• FuriosoThe says:

No it wasn’t.

Old World Blue was about how science could be used for evil, but that it also could be used for good. That attempting to look to the past for all the answers would leave you unable to look towards the future.

Heck, that’s what the ending slides tell you before you get the Transportalponder that takes you back to the Mojave.

It was fairly optimistic, but not in a naive way.

• anHorse says:

ALL HAIL SCIENCE
        NEVER QUESTION ETHICS

Scientism in full flow there, because nothing bad has ever been done in the name of science

• Emeraude says:

I’m reading this and all I can think about is Unit 731 never making it to trial for crime against humanity.

• Manco says:

Only if you ignore how the one scientist completely sacrificed his life, and arguably his sanity, to keep the others preoccupied and bottled up

• blackmyron says:

Without spoiling OWB (which I’m replaying right now, and is fantastic), they aren’t evil – some of them are downright likeable, and one in particular is rather noble.

• jangove says:

Its a long way from obvious to me that the BoS guy saying that isn’t a dangerous crazy person. He certainly gave me that “omg! Science brought us to this! We must forever ensure the common folk live nasty short brutish lives!”

Of course, given the games heritage, synths could go either way.

2. Joe The Wizard says:

I just wanted to say it’s been really nice knowing all of you. November 10th is going to come around I am going to walk through the door into post-apocalyptic Boston and vanish. As a homeless man in my town used to say, “See you on the go-around, duder scooter.”

• dangermouse76 says:

Fist bumps..

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Knowing Bethesda, you’ll literally walk through the door into post-apocalyptic Boston because of a clipping problem that it will be up to the modding community to fix.

• SomeDuder says:

Well, it doesn’t feature a cowboy-theme, so far so good. Also BoS, android/synth and raiders, so it’s looking p. damn Fall Outish to me.

But hey, it’s a Bethesda game so it’s glitchy as fuck, plus there’ll be a billion expansions. I’ll wait for the (heavily discounted) GotY edition.

3. theoriginaled says:

Railroad Vs the Institute huh. Calling it now: Player character is a liberated synth.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It also seems to suggest that it might be nice to spend some time with the creation of both husband and wife, and at this point i wouldn’t be surprised if the child is also supposed to show up in some way.

But yeah, at this point i’d say the Synth speculation is almost sure, mostly because the game seems to stress a lot the fact that 200 years have passed. Sure, it doesn’t rule out hybernation i guess, but many previous vaults were famous for having their own weird scientifical endeavour.

• magogjack says:

I would be absolutely shocked if Bethesda were able to restrain themselve’s from doing this.

• onodera says:

If he/she’s not, and there’s no option to join the Institute, I’ll be really disappointed.

• TheWhippetLord says:

Myself, I’m holding out for ‘Amnesiac Deathclaw in a a cunning disguise who thinks he/she is a real boy/girl.’
      Dogmeat teaches you the value of Friendship, and the ending dilemma is about who the real monster is.
      Spoiler: It’s you. You’re a f**king deathclaw.

Unlikely? Yes. Awesome? Perhaps.

• Emeraude says:

I’d play that.

• April March says:

That’s pretty much the plot of Prototype, innit?

• Lord_Sheogorath says:

If that’s not in fact the plot, I will do my best to mod it into the game. Complete with a Deathclaw stealth meter ( Putting a Human mask and a cloak on) and voiced companion deathclaws (They will make deathclaw sounds)

• Mokinokaro says:

I’m guessing cryogenics myself. All the vaults have had some sort of gimmick to them.

4. Enso says:

**POSSIBLE SPOILER IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW THE NAME OF A FACTION**

“You don’t find the the institute. The institute finds you”

*raspberry*

• Sgt_Big_Bubbaloola says:

Have we suddenly slipped into Mother Russia?

• SuicideKing says:

In Soviet Fallout…

• Monggerel says:

In Soviet Fallout the shadows of the damned haunt the inky darkness of collapsed metro tunnels for eternity while the living crawl towards their final extinction on all fours.

• Hedgeclipper says:

In Soviet Fallout war changes You.

• onodera says:

Soviet Fallout was cancelled due to soured RU-UA relations.

• Troika says:

In Soviet Fallout You accompany the Dogmeat.

Godwhacker says:

It’s another game with the big bad as ‘The X’, where X some capitalised word in the English language that is not normally seen on its own and capitalised, but here capitalised to create a noun. For example:

The Fade
      The Darkness
      The Reapers
      The Hive
      The Traveller, The City, The Guardians, everything else in Destiny
      …etc

I mean at Starcraft came up with ‘Zerg’ and ‘Protoss’, which are properly made up, and The Witcher invented both ‘Witcher’ and ‘The Wild Hunt’, which means they’ve at least tried. They could have just called it ‘The Hunt’.

• slerbal says:

The Witcher didn’t invent the Wild Hunt, that is a staple of the Norse and Germanic myths and sagas. Pretty much all their monsters come from traditional Northern European and Baltic fairy tales, myths and sagas (which isn’t a criticism)

• mukuste says:

All of those are nouns in the first place… just saying.

5. dangermouse76 says:

It was my birthday on the 2nd and I got this and MGS, and I have to say I am having one of those giddy childhood moments when you get mounting excitement.

• PegasusOrgans says:

To be honest, the last 2-3 have been that Xmas feeling of an amazing game… but I ended up with such a massive library I am struck unable to play anything because I can’t choose any one game to completely devout myself to!! Nor the time, nor that childhood ability to stay at a screen playing a game for hours. I’m getting old!

6. sebagul says:

I adore the tower defense hinted.

I wish more fps had some tower defense, but in smaller scale, like the missions in Far Cry 4 where the player defends people against a wave of animals. They were too short, and gave too scarce tools top be satisfactory (it was easy to just spread mines and kill the entire wave). Not entirely satisfactory, but the idea was present.

7. amcathlan says:

Looks good, and I can’t wait but man…the voiced character/reaction wheel conversation thing is going to drive me to gibbering insanity an hour in. What a waste of resources for a dialogue and roleplaying downgrade (imo, might just be my outdated preferences).
    They’d just fixed it for F:NV and somewhat for Skyrim dangit! Hopefully a Shut-It-and-let-me-pick mod won’t be long coming. Why not just force-name our characters to “Hawke” and get it over with? Press X for “impassioned heroic saviour response no.3” indeed.

• Emeraude says:

Why “outdated” ?

Newer doesn’t necessarily mean the tool is better nor even more appropriate.

And that’s before going into the matter of personal preferences.

8. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I must say, there’s something uncanny this time considering the voice acting, the slightly more dynamic approach and in general the technical advancements.

It’s a bit unfair to draw too many comparison since Bethesda has never really done something like this, but since the bar is set higher but mostly never reached it feels weird.

The good thing is that for the first time all the things that are hard/impossible for modders to implement are already in the engine, this should synergize really well with all the rest the community is already good at doing once the mod tools are out.

Afterall most of what you could do with previous titles was providing a better skin, better/more objects and some fake palette based lighting effects/Instagram filters, with limited control on actual lighting other than simple things like darker/brighter. Let’s also not forget the famous hard framerate limiter commonly known as ENB.

This time volumetric lighting and physical based rendering is in place among many other things ( and better distant LOD ), the idea that some experienced people might tinker with that stuff is pretty exciting.

9. magogjack says:

Is it just me or did that gunplay actually look decent?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Some people seem to be angry about the renewed gunplay focus, i say it’s probably the same as before but with the difference that it no longer sucks ( much ), and that gives the wrong impression.

Well, this is making sense in my head at least.

• magogjack says:

I imagine the thinking is; if they put the effort into shooting to actually make it smooth, then they didn’t put effort into other parts of the game.
        My guess anyway.

• Imbecile says:

Nah, I think the “logic” is this: The better the shooting mechanics, the easier it will be to play it as an FPS, and the less of an RPG it is, because Character stats will matter less.

I’d argue that slicker shooting should have no bearing on the weighting between Character and Player influence. It should just make the game more fun to play. Hopefully.

• RuySan says:

That’s the same logic of the people who attacked RPG for daring to caregorize Dark Souls as an RPG even though its character system is much more complex than The Witcher 2 or Skyrim. Only difference is that the combat in Dark Souls is tight and good

• Myrdinn says:

Deus Ex still had the best RPG/action system imho; decreased accuracy/recoil the higher your skills were. And Deus Ex, like Dark Souls is an action RPG. Same as the difference between Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana (or Zelda) to an extent. Two total different genres with slightly ill chosen names.

• Imbecile says:

Yeah its nuts. As you say Deus Ex is a great example of a game that got that action/rpg balance spot on. It would be easy to have a revised version of Deus ex, with slicker/better shooting mechanics, but exactly the same approach with decreased accuracy/recoil the higher your skills were.

• Turkey says:

Eh. That’s kinda risky. One of the most common complaints I’ve seen about Deus Ex is about the accuracy thing. There’s a huge precedent in FPS games that your bullet hits wherever you aim your reticule. Feels weird when it’s hampered with.

• BlackMageSK says:

To be fair, there’s also a precedent in FPS games that a gun always shoots the same bullets so suddenly being able to hurt people more or be blocked from hurting people appropriately because of a character stat with the same gun is silly.

• Turkey says:

That’s fair.

I think stat-gating off the better guns would work for me, but I think a lot of people would complain that it would be way too gamey. They do it all the time in fantasy rpgs, tho.

• socrate says:

The problem with that logic is that Fallout since 3 hasn’t really been fallout other then using the name and some extremely popular and noticable thing like the brotherhood,pipboy,name,stat and perk only in name and not really in how they used to work decently,the enemy and basically everything that was visual.

If its a better shooter then good for it,but looking at their past game since oblivion the gameplay was always for retarded moron that think 1 shotting something the entire game=hard…i seriously never though the AI was great in these game and fallout 3 and even NV didn’t have good combat AI or good gunfight…not to mention the simple AI like melee enemy that would get stuck in fence,rock,wall,door or other stuff…or the gunfight which end up being basically people running out in the open and shoot at you without even seeking any cover or flanking you or doing anything remotely clever…

I played half-life blue shift and opposing front a few days ago sorry ive seen a gazillion year old game that as better AI then a 2015 one…forgot that todays gamer are pretty much brain dead chimp.

The actual thing that i think make no sense is the requirement for this game compared to its horrible graphic…it just make no sense at all…and these explosion…i mean they really need to start making a new engine badly…this looks like it could run on a last gen console.

• suibhne says:

Zeni now includes id, still one of the best FPS devs out there (especially on the technical side, for animation, mouse-tracking, etc.). Given that Bethesda consulted with id on the shooty-bang side of FO4, it’s just possible that they put in the same effort as always, but had access to better expertise (and a willingness to actually learn from past mistakes, which is never a given with Bethesda…).

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well yes, afterall if there’s one thing Rage did right it’s just that.

• socrate says:

Im so tired of hearing that…id software got rich with doom and wolfenstein which are both really freaking old and their later FPS were and are still bad in terms of FPS they got bought for a reason…they were sinking for a long time now and had money problem all the time.

If you want good FPS check half life 1 which basically brought a revolution to how FPS were done and handle and Counterstrike and natural selection alone are an example of what that damn gem brought us…rage brought nothing other then a really bloated engine that was made by people who didn’t evolve and an animation that was fantastic but ended up useless in the grand scheme of thing.

Im so tired of people praising these old company and dev that did 1 thing and are now seen as stars of gaming or some other stupid thing like that…its the same as stan lee suddenly being praise for creating all superhero wth is wrong with people today?

• suibhne says:

Your comment is (unintentionally?) hilarious. You jump on others for praising id’s older games, then call HL1 and CS the pinnacles of achievement – even tho HL1 came out before Q3:A, and CS only shortly thereafter. id might not produce great games in terms of pacing, narrative, and so on, but its shooter gameplay is still unsurpassed – and the company, even post-Carmack, remains in the top tier of shooter gameplay. All of id’s games, from Q2 to Rage, sport vastly superior mouse tracking and responsiveness than anything Bethesda has ever produced.

Could Bethesda find even better technical models to learn from? Maybe, but I can’t really think of any slam-dunks.

• RedViv says:

Word on the digital streets is that Machine Games helped out with the shootmans aspect, so it’d be no surprise if indeed it was so.

10. raiders says:

I really pray the bugs are “minimal” at launch.

• socrate says:

it’s bethesda we are talking about…bad ai pathing,game breaking bug on console…that said on Pc in skyrim i couldn’t enter a house for some dumb reason because the game crashed and even today it was not fixed and yes i used the community patch.

A tip for bethesda game is to save often and on multiple save

11. merbert says:

I’m not here to rain on the parade of those of you who’ve been waiting with baited breath for the return of this game and I get that if you’re into Fallout as a series, you’re a die hard fan….

But….you must, like me, be really disappointed with the sub-par graphics?!!

Like, wow, circa 2005 NNNNNAAAAAAFFFFF!

This must have been in development for what, 3-4 years….and that’s the final product…??!!

Cringe.

Oh MSGV and Witcher III, how you spoil us!

• klops says:

Ho! The same thoughts at the same time! Not surprisingly, though.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s far better than all the previous games ( both FO and TeS ) that uber fans like us still love, at least on a technical features level, so i’d say we’re good.

Some people claim modded Skyrim still looks better than most other games out there.

It’s subjective, because it’s all about aestethics since the engine features are dated, lighting and shading is still not up to snuff even though it can be made to look nicer, but Fallout 4 has the right ingredients for far higher scaling with good mods, and it will happen because there’s an unstoppable modding community behind.

• Cinek says:

It’s anything but “far better”. In fact – one could argue that a modded NV is comparable and in some respects better than this thing here (awful low-res textures are the biggest gripe). As you said – engine is dated and it really LOOKS dated. It’s not a matter of ascetics – F4 doesn’t have any visual design tailored towards some super-specific style like… say: Borderlands 2 did. It’s simply an old engine used for a 2015 game, something that should not be done.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m comparing the vanilla versions of each game, any other comparison would be a little pointless unless you’re evaluating if you should purchase this game today or wait for modding and sales.

But that would be a buying advice and not in any way an evaluation of the different engine capabilities, and that’s what i was discussing although i might have been a little unclear.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Also, as i said in other posts, modders this time around only have to fix the easy stuff, because the rest ( shading, lighting etc ) is already there and in a much more evolved state, which is what i was referring as “far better”.

Yes, i called textures “easy stuff”, and i know they might take a lot of work but the implementation is not as involved as other things and that is why texture mods are always the first thing to pop up

• rgbarton says:

You say fallout 4 doesnt have any specific aesthetic design but honestly it has one of the best art directions I’ve seen in years from recent open world games with its great use of colors lighting and 1950’s retro future

• Kitsunin says:

I’m worried that Bethesda has somehow managed to create something uglier than modded Skyrim, yet considerably more system intensive. I can fully kit my Skyrim out to look utterly gorgeous, with ENBs and a lot of high-rez textures (though I had to back off there because of the 32 bit limitations leading to crashes).

Yet I’m actually below the recommended specs for Fallout 4. Considering it looks quite a bit worse, I’m left feeling worried…

• VillainousIntent says:

Actually been in production since just after fallout 3 I think, soooooooo 7 odd years?

• merbert says:

Well if THAT’S the case…..shame on you Bethesda.

Thank god I’ve never liked this series and haven’t been led up the garden path of expectations for this one.

Genuine sympathies for all disappointed fans out there.

• Imbecile says:

Yeah, it looks a bit naff, but to be honest TES games have always looked a bit ropey. Usually the environments stand up passably well, but the characters look terrible, the voice acting is patchy, the plot is guff and the dialogue seems to have been written by an 8 year old.

But somehow for me the games are more than the sum of their parts. The graphics look largely as I expect, and far from being disappointed I hope to enjoy it hugely. I’d imagine many others are in the same boat.

• Greg Wild says:

Eh. Fallout has never been about graphics.

• Cinek says:

Nor was the Witcher, and yet – look just how much better the 3 is comparing to Fallout 4.

• Imbecile says:

Oh, sure better graphics are nice, and the Witcher 3 is probably one of my favourite games of the year to date, but I wasnt expecting awesome graphics from Fallout: 4. Somewhere around the Skyrim level will do just fine. Maybe next time Bethesda will move on from their gamebryo hybrid, but as long as the games good, I dont really care.

• Cinek says:

For me the very basis for a 2015 game is having a sharp textures on your character. Fallout 4 cannot do even that one super-simple thing.

• Cinek says:

(as in: the basis of graphics, not the basis of game, as in the whole game)

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The next thing that will top TW3 when it comes to a golden graphics/gameplay/story ratio without any single compromise will be Cyberpunk, so although you’re perfectly right the comparison is not fair, because nothing else in the market has proven capable of hitting so many targets at once in years.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Not even The Phantom Pain i’d dare say.

• socrate says:

thing is im not a big graphic person but when an engine get re-used that much and other company have just moved sooo far in front of you there is a clear problem…if their engine would actually run fine that would be different but it take insane amount of juice just to get horrible particle effect that we’ve seen done better in the last gen console…their is clearly a problem

Hell Skyrim were using 2d rope and chain still…and if you do use the mesh mod to make them not horrible it take a huge amount of power to run it…make literally no sense..their engine is just that bad…witcher 3 is alots more recent but i would say look at the CoD game or what as been done in battlefield 3 and 4 and their is a clear problem here and they won’t address it till they can milk the fanboy as long as they can.

• socrate says:

keep in mind that i don’t want necessarily the best graphic of today…but this is just pathetic considering the new console and even old pc can run really beautiful thing and that alots of engine have been optimised and now run magnificently on old pc and yet this one look that bad and require that amount of power…not to mention is there still going to be horrible framerate and wierd “console lag” on the console when they are loading element or when their is too many particle effect..

P.s damn you no edit!!!

Harlander says:

But….you must, like me, be really disappointed with the sub-par graphics?!!

Not… really? I didn’t expect the bleeding edge of graphics from this.

• Zenicetus says:

It’s okay. It’s good enough for what I want to get out of this kind of game.

The only thing that really bugs me is that they haven’t managed to make more progress with facial animations. But then I’m spoiled by recent games with great facial expressions and nuance during conversations like Witcher 3.

I can still deal with it. I’m much more interested in what they’ve done with the setting, the quest designs, and whether the writing is good enough for the amount of time I’d like to spend in this game.

• LionsPhil says:

There’s “not as good as other modern games”, and then there’s “still haven’t caught up with Half-Life 2”. That facial animation is terrible. Hell, I’d argue it’s artistically worse than HL1’s half-a-dozen polygon flapjaws, since at least those moved plausibly with the sound to some degree.

Is it the most important thing? No, but this is a Bethesda RPG. You’ll probably spend a lot of time talking to people, as they chew out godawful, uninspired dialogue.

• oceanclub says:

“still haven’t caught up with Half-Life 2″

Yep, it’s amazing that many games/engines still can’t match Valve of 2004.

P.

• schlusenbach says:

It’s nice to watch this again after seeing the Fallout 4 trailer.

Hm, I expected more from Bethesda. Not those faces again.

• ffordesoon says:

I think it looks fantastic for a Bethesda game.

BGS games have never been as attractive as their contemporaries – even the reasonably pretty Skyrim looked about a year behind everything else on release. This is because BGS games are very much about their massive scope, and a certain amount of graphical and mechanical polish has to fall by the wayside so they can realize that level of scope. While I often feel as though their games could stand to be a little smaller and narrower in exchange for said mechanical polish, I can’t deny that their maximalist approach works for me and millions of other people, nor that I would feel a certain amount of sadness if they reined in their ambitions too much.

I will also say that I honestly wish more AAA publishers and/or developers would make the choice Bethesda makes – or a version of it, anyway. I don’t want other developers to sacrifice mechanical polish in pursuit of unrealistic ambitions, but I don’t think most players really give a shit about bleeding-edge graphics. They definitely care about good art direction, good UI/UX design, and a slick presentation, but there have always been videogames that are pretty in those ways. I don’t mean to suggest that bleeding-edge graphics don’t drive sales, nor that awful graphics aren’t a deterrent to them. But as long as the game looks reasonably nice and artistically coherent, it’ll sell as well as anything else, and Bethesda’s realized that.

• khomotso says:

I’m not cringing at the graphics so much as how the character models once again seem to slide around in a way that seems unphysical; not working against ground, gravity, and other obstacles in a plausible way. Just takes me out of the gameworld.

The trailer mostly succeeds in reminding me that I don’t like combat in Bethesda games, and they’re not getting any better at it. Their game engines just don’t handle this well. Yet now, unfortunately, they’re apparently trying to put more weight on this weakest link.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Yeah, that’s what I noticed. It’s not things like texture quality that ruin the illusion, it’s characters acting like something from Supermarionation.

• Werthead says:

The trailers I think have all been taken from the console versions. The basic PC version should look better, especially since we’ll hopefully get an upgraded texture pack (like we did for Skyrim) shortly after release or even on launch day, followed by the first graphics mods likely within days.

I did like the fact that the sun shins through buildings now (the windows aren’t all smeared over this time around), even though I believe exterior/interior locations are still separate world spaces, which is getting silly at this point.

12. Ancha says:

That means I’ll get to start playing it on November 9th at 10:01pm. Sweeeeeeeeet!!!

13. klops says:

Surprisingly ugly. This looks like it could’ve been made a year after Fallout 3. Not that I mind. Looks good enough to me, but the view distance looks pretty poor.

Perhaps they’ve then concentrated on the story and writing.
    Ha ha ha!

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Gosh, it does look a bit… old, doesn’t it?

• klops says:

“Old” is better than “ugly”, yes. Bethesda seems to let the modders do the company’s work for them.

But the short view distance is a a real disappointment for me. Or at least the ridiculous bouncy hills that I disliked 7 years ago and the buildings blocking your line of sight suggest that.

We’ll see – but how far? Ho heh!

• Cinek says:

View distance most likely can be modded. It’s everything else that’s shit. Horribly low-res textures, low-poly models, low budget animations (almost no motion capture), shaders as if taken from 5 years ago, etc. etc. I really hope that the storyline will blow up the balls, cause otherwise it might just as well be a candidate for the biggest flop in a series… that said though: jury is still waiting.

• klops says:

If the view distance is only good when modded, then the game has been built with a poor visibility in mind from the beginning. Which means that it expects you to encounter others from a close distance. This is such a big part of the gameplay that simply rising your view distance with a mod isn’t enough.

_IF_ the view distance is poor. I was just speculating by the trailer.

• Holderist says:

Short view distance is probably to hide poor LOD textures, and distant objects popping up… again.

• reishid says:

I don’t mind the graphical fidelity that much but the animations though… Coming from the Witcher 3, those facial animations and lip syncing are terrible.

• anHorse says:

Yeah the animations kill it for me

Especially because they look sub mass effect 2, I’ve become too used to better quality over the last few years so it becomes very noticeable

• Monggerel says:

Yeah, Witcher 3 made me realise how inadequate every other 3d talky RPG really is.

• Rizlar says:

Needs more Physically Based Shaders? :P

• Rizlar says:

Sorry, I meant TressFX.

• klops says:

I don’t understand those names. For starters the game needs facial animations done during this decade.

• Rizlar says:

Actually neither do I, was pretending to know about graphics and stuff to impress the cool kids. :(

• socrate says:

well i could understand these facial animation if it was indie but seriously…triple A?

• UppityTeapot says:

Somehow, I read that as “TrissFX” and realise I haven’t played enough Witcher 3. Also that I’m blind.

Mostly the latter.

• Stevostin says:

Thought the same, checked F3 screens. Nah. F4 looks 2013 all right, but it’s still a good deal better than F3/FNV.

• Synesthesia says:

Thank you, this! Iron wigs clipping through faces on a launch trailer is not acceptable, i’m sorry.

Also, those animations are just horrible. The SPECIAL trailers were pretty good, can’t they get those animators to work in engine?

How is this aaa development again?

• Infinitron says:

Here’s Bethesda’s dirty secret – it isn’t. They’re actually a mid-sized developer working on relatively low budgets with lots and lots of marketing. So far, that’s working for them.

• Ringwraith says:

Also not going overboard with stretching out release news over a year or more. They announce things when they’re about six months out from launch with a date and stick to it.
          It’s an interestingly straightforward approach.

• rgbarton says:

“Ermy god the graphics are f-ing ugly”

– Says seemingly everyone

No offense but I think you need to get your eyes checked because although the character models look kind of dated the actual evirornments look and objects look really great.

link to static4.gamespot.com

All of the buildings and objects carry high levels of detail, especially a lot of the foliage, not to mention the lighting is damn near perfect.

14. -Alligator- says:

An trailer that shows actual gameplay footage, including the HUD? Ridiculous..

• -Alligator- says:

The inability to edit typos in my comment is also ridiculous, btw.

• magogjack says:

Whoever removed the edit button will be first up against the wall when the revolution hits, just you wait!

• Hitchslapped says:

This site in general has pretty much the worst comment section I’ve ever seen. It’s lacking in function and clarity. Why not implement something like “Disqus” which many websites are using nowadays

15. TAIMAT says:

at first glance i think fallout 4 suffers from the same fault in 3 & NV … poker face expressions

• rgbarton says:

Personally don’t think facial animations are as bad as people say it is. At least better than latter day rpg’s like mass Effect I’d say.

16. Rizlar says:

Think I need a new hype gland, I’m not feeling anything. Ah well!

• nofare says:

Am with you. All of this time for this? Those graphics? The generic sounding script? The Generic trailer? It’s very lazy looking and very lazy sounding.

The “We-actually-care-about-games” gland needs to be inserted to Bethesda’s moribund body asap.

• Rizlar says:

Don’t even think it looks bad, it’s more an overabundance of amazing games in my life right now. My hype gland is wrung dry.

• Turkey says:

Yeah, it’s hard to get excited about Christmas when you get shiny new toys all year around.

Personally, I just feel like the Fallout universe has worn out its welcome. There’s just not enough to it to support a whole crazy AAA franchise.

Fallout 1 was like this self-contained thing that kinda gave you everything you needed to know. Now it just feels like world building.

17. ainokmw says:

Fallout is one of my favorite series from when I first discovered it as a teenager in the late 90s. Fallout 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time.

This looks terrible. I could handle Bethesda dumbing down the series because they wanted to build visual immersion, but this looks simply awful. If I felt they were going “back to the roots” and building a deeper RPG, then I’d be fine with it, but we all know that’s not happening.

Why does everyone look like they’re made of melted plastic?

• shagen454 says:

I sort of agree even though it’s too soon to make conclusions. I miss the old Fallout. The writers at Black Isle were some bad ass mother fuckers and you could tell. Fallout 2 is the only game I have ever come across that in it’s far reaches has a Noam Chomsky reference (they spell his name wrong on purpose though).

• ainokmw says:

I agree that it’s too early to jump to conclusions, but Bethesda’s MO has always been to make a game that makes players say “wow” at first, and only over time do players realize where the game’s depths are rather shallow.

Fallout 3 was amazing when you first stepped out of the vault and saw the expanse of the Capital Wasteland. That feeling sticks, and is the first thing that I think of when I remember the game. That’s despite the fact that Fallout 3 had, in my opinion, the worst writing in any AAA game I’ve ever played.

This game has no “wow” factor, and has quite the opposite. Compared to other titles that have been released recently, it simply looks bad.

The only hope I have for it is that the base building and gun modding aspects they’ve added give the game enough depth to overcome the visual hurdles.

• Turkey says:

Isn’t frontloading all the cool stuff the MO of every AAA dev?

• LionsPhil says:

The base building looks absolutely idiotic, in the usual Bethesda-Fallout fashion. You’re building a new construction. Why the hell do you start it off all ratty, patchwork, and run-down, planks scattered slapdash across its frame? This is the same surface-aesthetic-driven logic that has people who have been living in surviving buildings for years have not once bothering to sweep out the piles of grit and rubble. It doesn’t look like a post-apocalyptic world where people are trying to carve out lives; it looks like post-apocalyptic cosplay. Next week they’ll stick gears and copper pipes everywhere instead and have a bash at steampunk.

• fuggles says:

What about left 4 dead 2’s gnome chompsky?

• shagen454 says:

That’s a good point – I think even WoW had the same thing. But, Fallout 2 actually referenced him in the context of politics from a right-wing perspective. Not just a name thrown in there.

• Stevostin says:

I love Fallout, but not the first two which are not half as good as I remembered them (and not 10% as good as some remember them). Fact: F3 offer more option on most quests, any time, both on way to complete and outcome than it was the case with F1/F2. It’s a fact because simply comparing wiki for each game makes it obvious.

Also contrary too popular belief, most of the dumbed down element “introduced” by bethesda were already there: hulk like supermutant, nuclear cars everywhere, so much fights, silly ghouls, crude humor etc.

I hope F4 will stick to F3/FNV stantad in term of depth. I have yet to find a RPG with that much option on that much content.

• sansenoy says:

And the walking animations, people are still floating around…

• socrate says:

What happened is that they play on the hype and name that all the fallout asset bring since most people never played the old fallout and are the more..emmm casual gamer thus why the FPS…it wouldn’t be that bad if the game still was fallout but really its just a free roaming rpg fps with fallout asset in it…hell even fallout 3 used the special system like oblivion and skyrim with 25%,50%,75% and 100% being the thing to hit and not really having any impact on the roll of the dice itself

I doubt we will see quality like the old game even those that try still try to make it more accessible to new gamer which are treated like pure moron that have next to no brainpower which im pretty sure doesn’t help them getting smarter…but then again people today have a very short attention span..if they don’t get rewarded in 5 min they instantly get a turn off and move on.

Its catering to the masses for better revenue..just look at the new x-com its literally easy mode reward time with a steady progression path and literally illusionary tactic.

The sad part is that i don’t think it as any justification..dark soul people say its hard….truth is its not…its really not..once you learn how the game work and how boss fight are…its not a hard game its gimmikey in some place but hard?…no totally not,its i think well made compared to game today who have zero depth and complexity..and i think people telling other that its hard scare them when the truth is…its really not hard..it as exploration…feeling of discovery that you don’t find anymore in most game and more importantly a feeling of having actually accomplished something.

The base building is clearly ripped off of stuff like rust and ark or even terraria and other such project which have became more and more popular which i have to admit i like if well done and seeing it done properly would be a nice change and more so in a single player Pve game(well terraria was in a way)but bethesda like everyone said…tend to try and wow you and then you end up seeing how like ainokmw said “shallow” the game are…morrowind was different but that just seem like it was another age…now they just tend to throw hype at you in the hope that you will buy it without seeing how shallow it is after 2hr to not get a refund on steam…we’ll see.

• rgbarton says:

You make it sound like base building is incredibly shallow and half-assed when in truth according to a guy who got a leaked copy its actually very complex and deep.

• rgbarton says:

I think the line that dated graphics automatically destroying immersion is bull crap considering I just recently played through new vegas (unmoded) and I found myself very immersed in the world and its setting despite the painfully dated graphics.

18. Askis says:

While interested, I’ll wait for the inevitable GOTY Edition.
    At that point the game should be reasonably bug-free and have a bunch of mods to pretty it up some more.

19. Myrdinn says:

I’m hyped up. It’s official. But I do know I’ll hate my voice(d protagonist).

20. RedViv says:

Purchase date: Mod tool release plus six weeks.

• xalcupa says:

hear hear

• TheAngriestHobo says:

At least! Though I’ll probably wait even longer. I’m not shelling out $80 to Bethesda.

• slerbal says:

Yes. That is assuming their is decent mode support – I wouldn’t be surprised if they take a similar tack to the Snap thingie they are doing for Doom.

I will bide my time, like a um person who is biding…

• cpt_freakout says:

Yeah, I think most of us probably thought “what about the real release date?

21. csbear says:

Wow, a new first-person shooter! Oh… It’s Fallout.

Joking aside, I am actually excited to play this, but hope the shooty parts are not much more than FO3.

22. Michael Fogg says:

If ‘synths’ (or androids) are going to be a big theme of the game that for me will go against the established feel of Fallout. It’s more of an 80′ cyberpunk thing then the retro-futurism of 50′.

• Cinek says:

We don’t know that yet. From this trailer Fallout 4 might just as well be a new Call of Duty.

• klops says:

Yeah. Old Fallouts definitely didn’t have lots of shooting.

Grizzly says:

Are those red flowers on the bushes there?

24. SuicideKing says:

First the “War never changes” meme and then an “In Soviet Russia…” joke. Nice.

25. Duke Flipside says:

Certainly has me more excited than I was, but I agree that the graphics in the trailer are looking pretty dated…

I can understand the reasoning (if you’re building a house you probably need to be aligned to the same faction as your neighbours), but I’m nonetheless concerned with the apparent “This side good that side bad” mentality…mainly because I’m still annoyed my High Elf character didn’t have the option to join the Thalmor in Skyrim, and I’m going to want to sign up with those chaps living on the airship dammit!

26. Synesthesia says:

27. Gordon Shock says:

I gotta say my expectations just took a serious dive here and now I won’t mind waiting for the mod community to fix the issues Bethesda can’t seem to fix.

First it seems to me that Fallout is now a FPS, even though the last two weren’t full RPG’s I personally viewed them as such and had a blast creating and sticking to my character. I love the VATS system and it made Fallout stand out against all similar games. Now, from this trailer, it feels to me that all you need is a big gun.

Second, so the main story is about “synths” and I found this to be utterly generic. Countless other work of fiction have tackle that subject before and to me it feels that the “Replicated man” quest in F3 was enough. Then again I found the most pleasure in doing side quests and go through random encounters, and I believe that this is where the strength of Bethesda writings lie but I would have been nice to have a solid main quest, I enjoyed the one in F3 and the one in NV was superb.

Thirdly, Tower defense…???

• klops says:

1. Shooting looks better in trailers than dialogue choises.
      2. The main stories in Fallouts 1-3 weren’t generic?
      3. I don’t see much problem in this if it isn’t a big part of the game but understand if you do.

• Zenicetus says:

The FPS-heavy trailer is probably just the marketing department doing what they usually do, thinking a trailer has to be bombastic enough to capture a wide audience. It doesn’t mean every minute of the game will be like that. I hope.

I wouldn’t be too worried about tower defense. Similar things have been in previous Fallout games. There’s one side quest in New Vegas, I think (or maybe it was F3?), where you have to help defend a town against waves of incoming mutants. Or the defense of the Dam in one of the NV endings. It’s probably just a minor episode they cherry-picked for the trailer to make it look exciting.

• Poison_Berrie says:

Actually the tower defense part is probably from the new town-building time-sink they put into the game.
        Apparently you can now turn old buildings into junk and use that junk to build towns of your own. So tower defense is something you’re going to do several times if you engage in that part of the game.

• Zenicetus says:

Ewww… didn’t they do something like that in a Skyrim expansion, where you build a house and have to occasionally defend it against Giants that would kill your sheep, or something? At least there it was optional if you didn’t buy the DLC.

Can you decide not to have a house?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

This time it’s not even remotely similar.

You actually build a town with proper defences, merchants and even caravans that travel between your various towns, it will be a good use of high charisma/intelligence characters but still something very optional.

You need to be able to craft all that stuff, including the power generators needed to power all your various contraptions. It’s all incredibly cool or incredibly boring depending on where you come from.

28. Jovian09 says:

All I know is Courtenay Taylor’s voice makes me glad there’s a third-person camera.

29. CutieKnucklePie says:

OMFG the female avatar on a trailer! Finally!

30. Simon_Scott says:

I’m guessing the GFX aren’t PC Ultra but console, to avoid a world of hurt.

Sadly, though, the writing won’t be any better on the PC.

31. Talbot says:

An option to turn off the voiced protagonist would be nice.

32. suibhne says:

Gunplay looks great and environments look compelling. But great googly-moogly, the character art and animations look awful, VO is bad, and writing is worse than both of those blended together.

It amazes me that every Bethesda game has the same painfully-obvious problems, over and over and over.

• Simon_Scott says:

It’s fine though, because all of those problems will be more than made up for by the empty and unsatisfying ending.

• klops says:

If you were Bethesda and people bought your games like they have this far, why would you change anything?

I hate this, of course. But if I could sell bad quality stuff with less work and people would just preorder and order and be happy about it like they do, I’d go for it.

• Rizlar says:

Does the gunplay look good? A few people have made this comment but it seems more like judicious editing, it looks just as shonky as in Fallout 3.

Now I feel like one of those poor people sitting in a warehouse employed by the Russian government to talk shit on forums and fake patriotic websites featuring American flags and eagles or whatever. Actually I really liked Fallout 3 and it would be great if this lives up to it. But the gunplay outside of VATS was rubbish.

• suibhne says:

I think the whole ADS shtick looks well handled and responsiveness looks mighty fine. That said, a lot depends on mouse tracking, and Bethesda games typically have laughably terrible mouse tracking. Skyrim was a travesty, for example. On the other other hand, id games typically have magnificent mouse tracking, really the best in the industry, so I’m hoping id’s contributions/guidance will have helped Bethesda up its technical implementation of the shooty bits.

teije says:

Hmmm – oddly less interested now in F4 than I was before. Think I’ll wait for the inevitable GOTY in 2 years.

Getting old and grumpy so I wonder why can’t these series (HOMM, I’m looking at you) just end with their natural lifespan and not be revived constantly? It’s like how every good sitcom runs out of ideas after the 2nd season, but it still drags on for another 5 seasons.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Because selling ideas (whether to producers or your audience) is a hell of a lot harder than it sounds. It’s essentially a question of financial risk, so as annoying as it may sometimes be to the consumer, you can’t exactly blame developers for sticking to a proven brand.

• Rizlar says:

I think that in terms of marketing it also takes a lot of work to get any original creation off the ground. When you need to reach an audience of millions just to break even it makes complete sense to use even a mediocre existing IP.

Was thinking about this earlier while looking at all the discounted Red Faction sequels on GOG. (Bill Hicks is probably looking down on me from atheist heaven in disgust.)

34. Zenicetus says:

On a second viewing of the trailer, I’m noticing some seriously rough voice sync with the face animations in the NPC conversations. It’s worse than I thought from a first viewing of the trailer, when I was mainly looking at the graphics.

In a few places, it looks like the trailer was even edited to cut away while the NPC’s were still speaking, so you wouldn’t notice just how bad it is.

I wonder if they did an ADR (dialog replacement) session just for the trailer with new voice recordings? That might mean the sync would be better in the actual game. Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking. We’ll know soon enough. I’m holding off buying until the first impressions roll in.

• Jac says:

I watched the leaked gameplay of the opening scenes and the wife look like a terrifying puppet. Was creepy as hell and just seemed so unnatural in a way that really detracted from everything. Hope the rest of the game isn’t so poor in this respect.

I have no problem with the rest of the graphics, they’ll do for my eyes.

• Hitchslapped says:

Bethesda isn’t really good when it comes to faces and the animation of humans in general.

35. Jac says:

It needs to be Tuesday already.

Does anyone have an idea of how populated the city areas are? Hope they aren’t too bereft of people. Even through novigrad was far less interactable (is that a word?) In the witcher 3 I found it more immersive in the end due to all the npcs bustling about.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

City design is something that Bethesda has never been particularly good at. I think their issue is that, by virtue of the engine they refuse to let die, they have a tendency to think of buildings as distinct entities, rather than as parts of a greater whole. As a result, there’s never any significant urban sprawl around towns, and even the busiest metropolises tend to have no more than 25 people in them.

Personally, I think that if Bethesda accepted that it’s totally fine to put NPCs without dialogue trees in cities, and embraced a new engine that didn’t require every interior space to be a distinct zone, we’d see much more interesting urban spaces in their games.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

The engine, at least up to Skyrim has a horrible memory handling bug causing bugs and crashes when handling more than a handful of NPC’s.
        It’s especially crash prone when the memory get bursts of data in a short time span. It was fixed last year by some mod wizards.
        In-depth demonstration: link to youtube.com
        Unpatched, Spawning 38 NPC’s crashed the game. Patched, 300 spawned without crashing, just the framerate tanking.

I hope Bethesda has actually fixed it in F4.

• Unsheep says:

Most gamers won’t care about it, the previous Fallout games were extremely successful despite having comparatively dry and dumb NPCs. In their defense, Fallout 3 and NV were not exactly known for their storylines. As in most Bethesda RPGs the storyline is mainly there to give you a context or a setting, not to tell you a story. Instead the story is told by your own adventuring, much like Dark Souls in a way.

36. racccoon says:

I’m not watching anymore Videos on Fallout 4!
    I’m ready to play and dismantle the every beings inside it.

37. Hitchslapped says:

I’m a little worried about how this game is going to run. Bethesda isn’t really known for the smoothest of games.Even Crysis 3 runs smoother than Fallout 3 on my system.

• Myrdinn says:

That’s probably due to your system though. Fallout 3 might not be the best optimized piece of software but without using an ENB it should run perfectly.

• Hitchslapped says:

Fallout or Skyrim aren’t running badly on my system but I sure get stutters here and there I definitely don’t get in other games. There’s a reason why fan-made memory patches for both games exist and the reason sure isn’t the great optimization on Bethesda’s behalf.

• Unsheep says:

Yeah its one of those taboos we are not supposed to talk about openly, especially in reviews, problems that gamers with average PCs frequently encounter with Bethesda’s games.

• Uhuru N'Uru says:

Not just Bethesda Softworks (Publisher) games, all games(software), even the good ones have bugs. Normally issues are rare and affect only a few customers, but some hit most or all. Even after the complete edition is released, many bugs remain.
        Contrary to popular belief, it’s possible to fix every bug, just not financially viable.
        Modding can go a long way to fixing all bugs in the Vanilla game, but of course mods have there own bugs as well.
        Skyrim’s Unofficial Patches are purely vanilla bug fixing mods. They fix many of thousands of bugs that were left unfixed and back when Bethesda Game Studios (Developer) was still fixing bugs, The UP removed some fixes when BGS did them. Even so, now 4 years after release, UP’s are still being updated, in 20 years they may fix the last bug, maybe longer as new hardware.

The simple fact is many so called bugs turnout to be something other than the game, with mods involved, made by hobbyists, that’s the prime suspect. Your particular hardware can have a huge impact, indeed most bugs are harware related.

The OS is next, before the game even.
        How long has the OS been running, the data in memory can get get corrupted. Only a long restart (30 seconds off) will ensure that memory is totally empty when it starts.

How long since you reinstalled Windows from scratch or ideally, a full backup with everything windows related installed. It’s a long enough process, that you should keep all games on a separate drive (Essential for modding).
        All your personal folders as well. Any Folder that has a location tab in the folders properties window, will be movable. An advanced way to move any folder, is using Symbolic Links, to make Windows think the folder is still there.

I usually end up installing my backup every 6 months or so, I change a lot, you may get a year or more.
        The simple fact is the longer windows is installed the more corrupted it will become. Certainly for the ordinary PC user, stopping this is impossible. Eventually, reinstall will become required, to keep things running well.
        Keep everything you can, completely separate from the OS. Separate Drives are best, partitions next. Folders on the same drive are possible to keep, but it’s much harder to do.

That’s enough about the causes, except to give an example.
        I got Dragon Age Inquisition, a few days after release. 99% had no issues, but a few couldn’t get the game to even load. Reports of random crashes mainly coinciding with screen transistions, but no particular spot was to blame, next try a different transition would cause it. All reported nothing but DAI was doing this and after 3 days the Denuvo DRM was the prime suspect.
        I eventually tried my last resort, my windows backup. After updating the programs still in Program Files and applying Windows Updates, I made My new backup for next time, very important to save time.
        Then I ran DAI, without getting that problem again. Was the Denuvo DRM involved at all? I don’t know. Something I now had in Windows, was required to run DAI. Possibly, a corrupted or missing file.
        I posted my fix on the forums and then played the single player MMO DAI is, but my eventual disappointment in that game, is not the point.
        I could run the game and the bug was fixed.

There will always be bugs, waiting for the complete edition will get rid of the worst of the bugs and the modding community will have learnt enough to fix more. The game will still be new to you, however old it may be.

However long you wait too play a game.
        There will be bugs, just fewer bugs the longer you wait.

38. goettel says:

That meh trailer might finally tip me over to go play Wasteland 2 instead.

39. Unsheep says:

The trailer actually makes me think of Borderlands and Rage.
    Although its definitely nice to see them put more colour into the game, visually the previous games looked very dull. The different zones also seem much more distinguishable in this game than in the previous ones.

I’ll definitely be watching a playthrough of Fallout 4, but as far as post-apocalyptic RPGs go I’ll stick with Wasteland 2.

40. NephilimNexus says:

My, such short memories people have. Did no one remember that the Institute and the “synths” (read: androids) were part of the original Fallout 3?

There was a mission/quest over on the aircraft carrier to recover a “runaway” synth that had erased his own memories of being an android & had seamlessly blended into the rest of the community there (spoiler: He was the main gate guard). It was at this point that all of this lore introduced to the game.

Meaning that this is nothing new. Rather it is a continuation of earlier Fallout lore from many, many years ago. New Vegas just didn’t mention it because it was an East Coast thing, and Mr.House had his own tech thing going on instead.

• Useful Dave says:

You mean that rather out of place quest that was mostly a Blade Runner reference with elements of slavery thrown in because the group up in Lincoln’s statue weren’t enough?

That quest was ridiculous given how far away it dives from the aesthetic tech level shown in everything else. Looking further back from Fallout 3 which was a mess when it came to lore, cybernetics were crude if functional. Now we’ve got everything fitting so perfectly into a body that they look entirely human despite being entirely artificial?

Given the historical obsession that pops up more than building anything new, it just grates that the synths are more likely going to be a ‘Black slavery’ analog thrown in with entirely out of place tech just so the Institute are designated evil expys for the Enclave with cybernetics rather than FEV.

gritz says:

Why not? This game takes place hundreds of years after things like cyberdogs and autonomous robots were created. If the Institute survived the war relatively intact, there’s no reason to think they wouldn’t be able to create human-like robots.

• rgbarton says:

Actually the institute is a pretty substantial addition to the lore on bethesda’s part and it appears in this game their finally going to explore it fully.

41. Tayh says:

What’s this press-X-to-crit thing?
    Is there now a chargeable bar that you have to fill and then activate in order to manually get a critical hit?

42. rgbarton says:

The graphics look ok, and animation outside of a lypsincing bug in the trailer is decent enough

43. oceanclub says:

Hmm. Loved Fallout 3 and Oblivion, but Skyrim left me a bit meh and I have to say this trailer does too. It’s weird that Bethesda still have the same potato-faced dead-eyed creakily-animated NPCs they had 10 years ago.

44. hawken.grey says:

I’ve always loved the Fallout series, right from the very beginning, but the art style in this one really bothers me. They’ve cranked up the color and cartoon feel of the world, which for me really breaks immersion and leaves me struggling to believe this is a post-nuclear wasteland.