Cities: Skylines Now Allows For Even Bigger Cities

Cities: Skylines [official site] paved its way into our hearts by being a good citybuilder, but much of its appeal lay in the game succeeding where the prior SimCity had failed. Mainly: by giving us space. Space to build roads and buildings without pressing against the almost immediate issue of tiny landmasses. Which makes it all the more exciting that the most recent patch has just increased building limits by another 50%.

Patch 1.2.2-f2 fixes a few bugs that popped up after the recent (and excellent, says Alec) After Dark expansion, but it’s marquee additions are:

• Zone limit increased 50%
  • Building limit increased 50%
  • Road segment limit increased 12,5%

These limits existed previously in order to keep the game stable within recommended system requirements, but the team have worked to optimise Cities: Skylines “and have now been able to use that extra juice-room to push the limits further.” This means that if you could run the game before, you should still be able to now even as you expand your cities with more buildings and roads.

There’s a forum post from community manager John Rickne which explains the changes, including detail on why the limits aren’t available for modders to tinker with themselves. He also addresses some of the common feedback they’ve received about the After Dark expansion, what of it is the result of bugs or intended behaviour, and what of it they’re taking onboard and attempting to fix.

1. Zorn says:

I’ve somehow completely missed Skylines. I was reading much about Banished, but thought, I enjoy reading about it more than I would actually playing it.

Skylines sounds like something I’d look out for in the winter sale. Over the years, I often found myself returning to SimCity 2000, after yet another disappointment in finding the city builder that just rubs me right.

• ulix says:

Adter loving Sim City 2000, and also loving 3000, I initially bounced off Sim City 4. A couple of years later (must have been maybe 3 years ago) I tried it again: it’s amazing. You should play it.

There’s also a ton of great mods.

Sadly the UI isn’t really built for mods…

• FreeTom says:

I nabbed Skylines for half price in the recent Halloween sale. It’s great fun but perhaps a bit too easy. The citizens seem delieriously happy regardless of how much/badly I ruin their lives.

Still, if you’re anything like me you’ll still insist on addressing every little icon of badness that appears anywhere on the map, so it doesn’t matter too much.

• ludde says:

Also the economy doesn’t provide any challenge whatsoever past the first hour or so of learning the game.

A shame since it’s a really solid foundation but lacks longevity and depth because of it.

• Cropduster says:

Agreed. The difficulty is all front loaded into the early game where money is tight, but after a certain point you can just keep on expanding without really worrying about anything.

I still had a good time with it but for me it had nowhere near the longevity of SimCity 4, where it seemed like weirdly specific problems would pop up all the time. Hoping new updates shake things up a bit in the future.

teije says:

Banished is a completely different experience from Skylines. Both good games, but beyond placing buildings on a map, nothing in common. And I found Skylines much easier too, which is both good and bad. A certain morbid thrill in Banished watching your whole village starve or freeze to death because of a stupid decision you made…

2. Neurotic says:

For crying out loud, I really need to do some work this week, and now this?

3. Shadow says:

Thing is, expanded building space implies potentially higher population, and at the moment there’s a cap to the number of agents the game simulates. I can’t recall the exact number, but once you hit that mark, the city won’t look busier if you grow it further.

Have they been looking into optimizing and expanding that as well?

4. 8080 says:

Enjoyed the game but I really wish they’d address some issues before expanding it even more. For example, the issue of firetrucks being dispatched from across town instead of down the street will be aggravated by having larger towns. Also, the current design makes having an educated populace and any kind of Industrial sector INCREDIBLY tedious to maintain.

Al__S says:

you can now suppress education by district (or across the city as a whole) if you want to help provide a lower education workforce

• Windows98 says:

Very Brave New World. Does it work by inducing foetal alcohol syndrome?

• Neurotic says:

I think the ARIS mods might do that – he’s done improved AI for hearses and rubbish trucks, not sure about the emergency services though. Might be worth a look.

• Calculon says:

I also have an issue with the number of bugs in Cities Skylines. There are just too many features that dont work as expected, or its a buggy simulation. I keep reading every update in the hope they will start resolving some of these issues, but sadly, they dont seem to be.

• walrus1 says:

I hear you. The traffic AI is pretty busted.

• Gap Gen says:

I’ve found traffic pretty OK apart from one thing: when my cities get to around 80k+ people, the traffic literally pauses to decide where to go, causing huge pileups. Hopefully the optimisation will improve things!

5. Stardog says:

Has there been another spiritual successor like this that’s so much better than its parent?

Maybe Ico to Prince of Persia, but that’s not fair because PoP is old and 2D.

Bluerps says:

Huh. I didn’t even know those limits existed. I tend to start a new city when my current city reaches a certain size.

7. walrus1 says:

Great now even more of my cities can be hopelessly jammed up with traffic.

No matter what I do bigger roads, New highways, buses, subways, one way streets and traffic circles my cities become a massive traffic mess. Maybe they should fix that?

• Detocroix says:

Weeeelll I think you, as town designer / mayor, should fix that, considering traffic jams are very solvable. Have you looked at where are those people trying to go to and where are they coming from? Do you have enough alternatives for people to use for travel? Sometimes it helps being extreme with solutions, just bullzone the offending road from start to end and try to rebuild the whole thing more efficiently.

• walrus1 says:

I have tried! I’ve put in subways, buses, highways, one way multilane roads, bypasses with direct highway access, tunnels from one district and I’ve bulldozed entire roads. Nothing works! Nothing! People get in cars despite a well connected subways and bus network.

• Ostymandias says:

It actually works exactly like that in real-life town planning.

8. Superpat says:

Ijust recently started playing the game on linux (It was unplayable when I was playing on windows, though that could be just due to their recent optimizations) and it is great fun, I just lot 3000 people after putting a landfill next to a water pump I had forgotten! My second city is going much better

9. RegisteredUser says:

Please don’t hate me for this, but I sincerely wish there were a way to “casualify” / wizard infrastructure. I want to mark a zone, click on “transit properties”, check 1-4 boxes for bus, car(xx size road/type), underground etc, and then just have the game do it for me instead of having to spend hours upon hours pondering traffic optimization.
    I know to some that meta IS the actual game, but it was my largest “Egads, there is no way I’m spending 80% of my time doing this” reason to run away and fast from C:S.

• Superpat says:

I had the same impression with the transport system when I first saw it, but it’s much simpler than it seems, I just outline the area I want to service with the lines and then plop bus stops where they seem useful. Taxi are pretty much plop and done though, you can optimize them but I havent spent any time doing that.

10. fish99 says:

Unless it’s been massively optimized, I don’t really see the point.