Gearbox’s Battleborn Delayed To May 2016

What will you be doing on February 9th, 2016? I can’t see far enough into my own future to tell you tell you what I’m doing even on Monday, yet I can say with absolute certainty that you won’t be playing the finished version of Battleborn [official site] then. Whoa, Nellie! Put down the pitchfork and flaming torch. This isn’t witchcraft: Gearbox’s multiplayer shooter has been delayed, is all. It’s now due on May 3rd, 2016, with an open beta test coming before that next year.

Gearbox explain in the delay announcement:

“We at Gearbox are feeling energized by the data of our Closed Technical Test, and the additional time will allow us to better act on the feedback for Battleborn competitive and cooperative play when it releases. We sincerely appreciate your patience as we work tirelessly on Battleborn. We look forward to sharing the Open Beta with everyone next year.”

Or, as they say on Twitter, “Creating new IP is hard, and we can’t help but be Gearbox.”

Anyway! Battleborn, if you haven’t been paying attention, is a MOBA-tinged multiplayer FPS. It’s got loads of characters with skills and levelling and all that, who’ll throw down in co-operative and competitive modes. Gearbox only recently started talking about the competitive side, so here’s a wee trailer peeking at some of that:

[Disclosure: oh hey! I’ve realised Battleborn’s lead writer is someone I know a wee bit – our time at my last site sorta-but-not-really overlapped. It involved a podcast I try to forget, okay.]

1. yogibbear says:

On Feb 9th I will be anxiously counting down the days until Laneway Festival on Feb 14th down in Freo. Chvrches, Purity Ring, Battles, Grimes, Flume, Hermitude, Beach House. WOWWWWWW Going to be soooo good!

2. magogjack says:

I can’t tell if I like or hate the song in this trailer !?!?

• emotionengine says:

Let me make that decision for you.

[Processing…]

The results of your query are as follows:

You hate this song.

Thank you for your custom. Have a nice day.

3. LexW1 says:

Feb. 9th? Err… yeah. No idea. No birthdays, no plans, c’est la vie. Wishing it was summer already, probably. I spend most of Jan-Mar wishing it was summer.

I had no idea Battleborn was even near enough release to have a release date, so this is probably the least concerning delay in the history of delays for me. Are the other FPS-MOBA-type games anywhere near release? I know Overwatch is in beta, but that’s Blizzard, it could still be in beta six months from now.

4. Stormcrow says:

Battleborn definitely needs a little more time. I played the beta (or as they call it “the closed technical test”) and imo the maps needs some adjustments and the weapons and skills need a little more punch in terms of sound and feel (not necessarily gameplay). It all felt a little flimsy to me and the maps were a little to cramped. The lanes and so forth were too small compared to the player characters.
    Otherwise it’s pretty decent. I only played the competitive mode though, not the singleplayer.
    Anyway, I guess I just broke the NDA… oops.

5. mukuste says:

Hold on… this is another one of these? Why is the market suddenly getting flooded with this type of game, when we had basically nothing worthwhile since TF2?

• Xocrates says:

It’s the amount of time necessary between mobas getting popular, people realizing that a moba/FPS hybrid should work really well, and the time necessary to develop one of those.

• Baines says:

You forget publishers beginning to realize that the generic MOBA market isn’t a guaranteed money tree, but not being willing to look into other genres, and thus going to MOBA hybrids as a solution.

Qazinsky says:

“I can’t see far enough into my own future to tell you tell you what I’m doing even on Monday”

I dunno about Monday, but I sure as hell know what I’ll be doing on Tuesday (aka Nov 10).

7. fish99 says:

Someone saw Overwatch.

• Flopper says:

These companies all cannibalize each other. Blizz isn’t exactly the most original dev in the game to begin with. All their biggest successes are taking other games that are already successful and adding a lighthearted casual flare to them that attracts mass numbers.

Currently we have Battleborn, Overwatch and Lawbreakers set to release within 6 months of each other. I have my eye on Lawbreakers the most. Until Blizz actually proves themself in the FPS market I’m not getting my hopes up.

HOTS while a pile of casual dookie. Diablo 3 wasn’t good until a year after release… Their track record hasn’t been great. And the latest WoW xpac was easily forgettable.