Life Is Feudal Leaving Early Access On Nov 17th

Life Is Feudal: Your Own [official site] has been in Early Access since September of last year, and news arrived this morning that the full release is set for November 17th. We haven’t checked in on the 64-player medieval sandbox sim for around 12 months so I’ve gathered information from some of the recent changelogs below. There’s also a snazzy animated trailer narrated by Sean Bean, supporting actor in recent poo-tatoes flick The Martian.

An American friend told me that she knew someone who “couldn’t understand why Sean Bean does his Lord of the Rings voice when he’s supposed to be working for NASA”. Yorkshire truly is another world.

Life Is Feudal’s pitch is total freedom within a world that requires cooperation. It’s Wurm and Blade (or Mount and Wurm if you prefer, but that sounds all kinds of wrong to me), an online game in which everything must be crafted from base components, and there’s no single character build that can fulfill all possible functions.

The idea is that farmers are required to support masonry workers and carpenters, and warriors are needed to defend whatever the rest build.

“Will you play the part of a warrior, a farmer, an architect, or even an artist? Life is Feudal: Your Own presents an open world full of possibilities. Work with your community to alter the landscape and use modular building tools to erect realistic villages and cities. Craft the items needed to survive and enrich your life, and challenge other player in physics-based combat.”

To prevent, or at least discourage, killing sprees, Life Is Feudal has an alignment system. You can read all about at this link, but essentially committing horrible acts increases the penalties you suffer upon dying. If opponents yield as you’re fighting, finishing them off carries the heaviest penalty of all, which means it should be possible to keep your head on your shoulders as long as you back down when the going gets tough.

Updates have been coming thick and fast over the past month, and the most recent include the addition of a direct player-to-player barter system, reworked skill progression, and tweaks to plant and fruit growth, and animal breeding.

There was an RPS server at one point but it appears to have faded away. There may be players lurking in this forum thread – if you’re playing or planning to play, it might be worth seeing if there’s interest in setting up a new server with the locals.

And if you’re wondering about the title (I certainly was), the Your Own subtitle is apparently there to distinguish this from an upcoming Life Is Feudal MMO, currently in development, which players of Your Own will “receive access to”.

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

I’m still confused (not difficult).

I’ve been hearing about a non-fantasy, medieval RPG for a couple of years. Is this it? Or is that something else?

• Troubletcat says:

You’re most likely thinking of Kingdom Come: Deliverance (link to kingdomcomerpg.com), which is marketed specifically as a more realistic Medieval RPG. It’s still a way’s out. Looks grand though.

As for Life is Feudal, is it any good? I’ve been looking at it, but I’m a bit sick of survivalcrafting games…

2. Lone Gunman says:

Game of Thrones simulator?

XD

3. Captain Deadlock says:

Your Own what?

• cpt_freakout says:

I think it’s a misspelling of “You’re Own”, which would make more sens… wait a minute

• Menthalion says:

Your own server, as opposed to the MMO ?

• Sound says:

This is correct. For now, the game is limited to 64 player servers, so the server and world is potentially your own.

clweeks says:

I’d be interested in finding a group to play this with.

5. MadPen says:

I enjoyed the potatoes joke.

6. rexx.sabotage says:

I got this collecting dust on my Steam shelf. If this seems like something up your alley, check out Mortal Online instead, much more vibrant community, none of the arbitrary (magical) game-y mechanics like ‘alignment’ (or maps or third person) oh, and you can play for as cheap as free if you want

I’m not one for machismo but, goddamn, MO will put hair on your chest.

• Cvnk says:

MO to me sounds like a game that’s pretty much only about killing or being killed. And without much depth beyond that. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s the impression I’ve gotten from any videos I’ve seen and from the way its fans talk about it. Even your suggestion that it will grow hair on your chest seems to confirm that.

It sounds like LiF is going for a more nuanced balance. Whether it succeeds is another matter.

• rabbit says:

how is MO doing these days, anyone? i remember being signed up to that several years ago & was soooooo psyched for the direction it was taking but put off by a basically-dead community, too-slow updates & a few pretty huge holes. the archery, for instance, was hitscan i think? that i can not fucking get behind – particularly given that my character was built with the aim of wielding a bow + running alongside a pack of tamed wolves

how is it now? has archery been made more sensible? can you tame multiple pets yet?
      updates frequent?
      how about the F2P model? that put me off a lot when they introduced that, too.

thanks!

7. Chaz says:

So this isn’t an MMO then, I thought it was?

• rabbit says:

life is feudal is the MMO
      life is feudal : your own is, as i understand it, a glimpse of what the MMO will be, on a much smaller scale.

8. noodlecake says:

Poo-tatoes? I’ve read some pretty good reviews for The Martian. Haven’t seen it though. Is it really bad?

• Skrallex says:

I believe the joke comes from Matt Damon’s character growing potatoes in human poo. I saw the movie recently and thought it was fantastic, maybe even my top film of the year so far, narrowly beating Mad Max Fury Road, simply because I love space fiction.

• noodlecake says:

I watched the first half an hour of Mad Max: Road Fury and stopped as I didn’t really get it at all. It was just one massive action scene.

• rabbit says:

yep, it’s basically just a car chase. i liked it, though. but then i’m biased towards anything that has ‘men’s rights activists’ up in arms.

• mikespoff says:

The Martian is fantastic. But it does have potatoes grown in poo.

9. racccoon says:

Sean Bean should never of died in GAME OF THRONES!!

10. neofit says:

I am trying to picture a Wurm with what I read above: full pvp; no self-reliance but total dependence on others instead; and with only 64 players per server? Is it 64 online max at the same time? Or 64 player accounts? 64 toons? Are players allowed to make alts? If not, who in their right mind would make a peasant on a pvp server?
    No matter how you turn it I just don’t see it working.

• rabbit says:

“No matter how you turn it I just don’t see it working.”

am sure there’s a ‘the Wurm has turned’ joke in there somewhere.

11. solro says:

It’s not really a survival game.

It’s a crafting/building game with complicated PvP.

• Gutnarm says:

no personal offense towards solro intended with this reply; his very post just hits a few key points i’d like to throw my 2 cents at, considering the game i’ve spent a lot time playing is now leaving early access and gets critical media coverage. some of the points i’ve been going through several times over the past couple of months with newcomers to our server.

“It’s not really a survival game.”
      – if punching trees and rocks with your bare fists, dining on frank’n’beans & pepsi every 20mins or hacking away at half-nude cannibals defines a survival game, then it probably isn’t.

“There’s only a hunger meter and I’m not sure you can even starve, never tried since it takes so long.”
      – you will starve, painfully slow, trying to literally crawl to whatever food source you hope to be in reach before eventually passing out for good.

“It’s a crafting/building game with complicated PvP.”
      – quite on point. it’ll be some time until you can even wield a simple sword efficiently. you’ll be excited about the first pitchfork in your hands when you run into the next wolfpack or wild boar while gathering supplies.

“There isn’t much depth or goals really…just build things until you get tired of building things. You wont be building a castle without a lot of time and a lot of help.”
      – “depth & goals” are up to yourself. if your goal is to build a castle, then, well, you’re in for a lot of ressource planning, recruiting and teamwork. if you expect a storyline or hand holding along quests you might be looking at the wrong title. (even though there are plenty of RP servers out there hosting events like quests, tournaments, and the like.)

“Still has a really stupid time sink mechanic for making steel and mortar where you spend hours just to make one piece. And you need a bunch of steel to make one door.”
      – items that need ‘flux’ (a herbal reaction well-skilled herbalists can produce) is needed in several high-tier production chains involving mortar and steel. while still unbalanced (a [steel]lock for a wooden wicket gate? — well, let’s wait for nov17th patch), the idea of “you want to lock it up? that’ll get expensive.” sounds fair (geared towards gate houses, and building doors in general).

“combat and armor are poorly balanced, ie, cheap starter throwing weapons can easily dispatch someone in full armor using a sword.”
      – depends on the skill, encumberance and ‘effects’ on the armor-wearer and the slingshot guy, but yes, sounds about right. your ‘tank’ might switch to shield and thowing spear though and quickly dispatch the slinger. …if he were prepared for that situation. (or he might’ve just brought some friends.)

“it’s kinda fun, but also kinda “Ok I finished building my hut, and the rest of this looks too tedious to bother”.”
      -and-
      “The upside is that because you make your own servers, you can find ones that just give you a bag of weapons and armor from the start to go hack n’ slash right away.”
      – there’s plenty of (even f2p) titles out there where you just can go and hack through fancy knights for 20min, glee at your stats and log off again. LiF:YO definitely ain’t one of those.

tl,dr: you’ll need patience for this game. quite some. ever played eve online? right, that corner of steep learning curves.
      it’s just leaving early access and after 900+ hours played i can just say — money well spent.

• Sound says:

This matches my experience with LIF:YO. Solo play is mostly boring play, and the interest and challenge comes from trying to achieve something greater in a group. The social element is everything.

And the comparison to Eve is apt. This is a sandbox game, whose intention is to model the world, in order to make the conflicts of interest between groups become much more deep. But patience is absolutely required.

12. rabbit says:

‘It’s Wurm and Blade (or Mount and Wurm if you prefer, but that sounds all kinds of wrong to me)’

i approve.