Grave Is A Tactical 2D Slasher That Doesn’t Quit

In the wake of Ludum Dare #33’s ‘you are the monster’ theme, 2D tactical slasher Grave sees you dropped into a cemetery after nightfall and into the role of a skeletal knight. Pit against a horde of foot soldier cavaliers and the odd monstrous paladin, you must then rack up a kill tally and level up along the way. The longer you go, the harder it is to stay alive. Praise the longest run.

Combat in Grave is an absolute joy, particularly given how restricted the playing area is. Offing the regular knights isn’t too much of a problem once you master your timing, and, actually, the crows that fly overhead prove more formidable foes as they relentlessly swoop in from above. Strangely, there’s a one in 30 chance that one of said crows will burst into a stream of mutlicoloured confetti – a feature that offers no advantage but one that looks very pretty against the game’s otherwise black and white and grey aesthetic. It’s neat and I often found myself sidetracked into picking out the ones I thought might be the flying pinata.

After a short while, you meet these bastards:

Which are…yeah…a bit tough.

Grave is now on itch.io and is pay what you want. Here’s creator Ben aka Heartbeat taking those large lads to task:

1. JustChaos says:

Yay, another Souls-like!

• Mrice says:

Mate, c’mon. Lighten up eh?

• Hypocee says:

Y’know, Word of God is that it’s Souls inspired so fine, but I’m not even a Souls fan and the similarities to Souls I see are:

1) There is a combat roll.
      2) It’s desaturated.
      3) Collectables come out of enemies.
      4) You nibble a big stupid thing’s ankles to death.

Presumably Diablo is a Souls-like.

Shield work? No. Environmental weapon/body constraints? No.Currency risk/reward structure? No. Theology? No. Waiting or prep for tactical advantage? No. Gear progression? No. More than one attack? No.

What’s wrong with just being a spiffy arcade game?

• Baines says:

I guess one issue is that, just like many game players, many game devs these days actually are more likely to know Dark Souls than arcade games.

Just like we’ve had at least a generation that know “Roguelike” as a name, without ever having played games like Nethack or Angband, much less Rogue itself or the lesser known games of the genre. I’m sure there are fighting game fans who have never played any version of Street Fighter 2, much less the fighting games that came before it. People that know Tomb Raider primarily by its reboot, and for whom Fallout 3 was their only Fallout game.

• Det. Bullock says:

Just yesterday I mentioned the “first Fallout” regarding the infamous timer and a guy asked me if I was referring to Fallout 3, goddamit there is a frigging number at the end of it if I say the first its the one without the number for God’s sake!
          I died a little inside once the implications sank in.

• dethtoll says:

I swear to god you have no idea how happy I am that I’m not the only person that’s happened to.

• baozi says:

I have to admit I’m somewhat bothered about how people will associate “Deus Ex” mainly with Human Revolution because they haven’t played the original…

• LurkingPresence says:

I understand where you are coming from, but to be fair to the original poster it is a game that features lots of giant knight enemies and giant swords, which is pretty dark soulsish.

That being said I would consider Dark Souls to be the latest iteration on whatever genre you want to throw Ghosts & Goblins and Castlevania into.

• Ephant says:

Stop.

2. Hypocee says:

Even simpler after twice attempting to help and getting spam filtered, broken URL in article.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Both links work for me so either it is fixed or it is a problem on your end.

• Hypocee says:

Yeah, thanks, fixed as intended. I had to go elsewhere and had gotten sick of trying to describe the exact flaw in words that the system wouldn’t bin. At the time it included ‘web address goes here’, a copy-paste slipup.

• Alien426 says:

I’ve tried to report the broken link as well and it didn’t show up.

3. zapatapon says:

Seems a lot like Luftrausers, but with swords.