GTA V Nature Docs To Make Attenborough Proud

Since its release earlier this year, Grand Theft Auto V [official site] has consistently wowed with its fan made content. From car-spouting guns to The Incredible Hulk, every day heralds in tonnes of new stuff – so much so that it’s impossible to keep track of it all. Every now and then, though, something really cool catches my eye. These David Attenborough-inspired Los Santos documentaries fit that bill. Have a look below.

Shot in the game’s editor suite, creator Alec Chaney – who is one third of YouTube channel 8-Bit Bastard – has thus far crafted three videos: Into The Deep, Sharks, and Onto The Land. Here’s the latter, which is probably the best:

“I’m a massive admirer of David Attenborough,” creator Alec Chaney told me. “The whole thing basically stemmed from playing the heist missions where you’re in the submarine and you go under the water. I just realised there and then that not only is there all this stuff on land, but there’s all this stuff in the water as well.”

Citing Blue Planet as his favourite of Attenborough’s shows, Chaney also said whilst his own stuff is not always factually accurate, he enjoys simply commentating on what he sees and how the animals behave within the bounds of the sandbox.

You might wonder long it takes Chaney to create a typical GTA V Attenborough-inspired production? “Onto The Land took three months to complete from start to finish,” he says. “A lot more research went into this one and I spent more time messing with the editor.”

From this site

1. Stellar Duck says:

This is super neat!

Well done to that guy for making it!

I’ll also add though, that the part where the cat chases to deer underlines how ridiculous video game landscapes mostly are. They’re just running full tilt up a 45 degree slope.

• El Mariachi says:

You’d be surprised at what they can do, over short distances at least. What was unrealistic, though, was a lone coyote taking down a full-grown cow. Especially a desert coyote, which is closer in size to a cocker spaniel than a cattle dog.

Still, this was very well done.

• Stellar Duck says:

It wasn’t so much the full tilt up the slope as it was the slope itself.

Games don’t do that sort of landscape well and it’s always out of proportions. I mean, there are lots of reasons and I don’t really care but this video, to me, just highlighted that they struggle with it. At a distance it looks great but close up the illusion falls apart.

• DrollRemark says:

I know what you mean – it’s like the movement of the animals has just been rotated from how they move on flat land, rather than them actually running uphill.

2. GameCat says:

Awww, this rabbit is so cute.

3. racccoon says:

Masterful production and really funny as well :)

4. Urthman says:

The best part is the uplifting, noble bits about human beings read over footage of … GTA characters.

5. Cinek says:

I haven’t seen half of these animals in my playthrough, lol

6. Chorltonwheelie says:

Wow. Good arrows that man.

7. Unclepauly says:

“These cows are largely defenseless”… one second later… “But one kick from their hind legs could decapitate a rhinocerous”