Hearthstone: The League Of Explorers Single-player Expansion To Launch November 12

Calling all you creative card configuratorists: a new single-player Hearthstone [official site] expansion is on its way. Announced at BlizzCon 2015 this very weekend, The League Of Explorers will bring with it 45 new cards and will launch its first wing on November 12. That’s next week! Hop below for more details and a trailer.

In search of an elusive ancient artifact named the Staff of Origination, members Brann Bronzebeard, Reno Jackson, Sir Finley Mrrgglton (my favourite) and Elise Starseeker will plough around in three of Azeroth’s archaeological sites: the Temple of Osiris, Uldaman and Stranglethorn Jungle. A fourth wing at the Hall of Explorers is set to follow.

Anyway, enough talk for now, let’s watch a typically Blizzardy/Hearthstoney trailer:

All told, The League Of Explorers will follow a similar path to previous single-player Hearthstone expansions in that each wing in turn will pose a progressively harder challenge than the last. A new ‘Discover’ mode will however grant players the power to “dig up cards and select the one [they] need the most”, in-keeping with the overarching adventurer/explorer/Indiana Jones besides that last one that was crap theme. From what I understand, only certain cards will house this feature – neutral ones relative to your class, I believe – and what this means in practice is that you’ll be able to accrue new perks by using it such as spells, for example.

As you’d likely expect, there’s a list of new challenges too and other window dressing, all of which can be found in more detail via the Hearthstone site.

Hearthstone: The League Of Explorers is due November 12. In the meantime, here’s a screen of my main frog Mrrgglton:

1. RuySan says:

So lots of new cards behind a significant paywall??

News of single-player expantions for HS are always bad news, at least for me.

2. Moose says:

I don’t mind the single player expansions too much. They are undoubtedly expensive but knowing exactly what cards you’re getting in advance for me is better than the randomness and endless grind of trying to collect particular cards from packs.

3. Commander Gun says:

Well, it is $15 for the whole set or 400-ish (don;t know for sure) gold per wing. I don’t know what you are used too, but since i am used to playing Magic it is cheap as hell for all the fun i have with this game :)

4. Stargazer86 says:

Ugh. I still haven’t gotten the rest of the previous expansion yet. I’ve only managed to buy the first two wings of Blackrock Mountain with gold. I mean, I wound up buying Naxxramas with real money before. But if you do that with every single expansion they release you’re going to wind up shelling out mucho dinero. The three single player adventures alone would cost 75 bucks! And you need them, too, if you want to have some of the best cards. It wouldn’t be so bad if the earlier expansions dropped in price as the newer ones came out, but no, they don’t. I really, really dislike Hearthstone’s business model.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah. I continue to be amazed by the number of people celebrating it, too. It’s not quite as awful a business model as traditional TCGs because at least there’s some degree of play to be had without enormous cash investments, but the singleplayer content is clearly vastly overpriced for what you’re actually getting, the fact that much of the cardbase is specific to one of the nine classes makes random boosters particularly chancy, and the gold rewards almost entirely require winning matches, not just playing them, with the result that trying to grind gold becomes hugely frustrating if you’re not reliably winning.

• Smurph says:

I play this casually every few weeks or so, and I’ve noticed that recently it’s gotten really hard to win matches with my meager card set. Every game I am playing people with lots of epic cards in their deck, which means they probably have dropped money on the game. It seems like the more cards come out, the less feasible it becomes to play the game casually.

doxasticpirate says:

I just realized, earlier this week, that when it comes to Hearthstone, I’m more “addicted” to it than enjoying it. I’ve built some fun decks, played pretty solidly since the open beta, and (occasionally) dropped real money on it. And while I do still like building and tweaking decks, the amount of joy I get from a cool win is definitely less than the frustration I get from an unlucky loss. And that’s striking, since I’m generally a happy guy and non-intense gamer. Even more troubling, I can totally see myself being led around by the addictive “just do my daily, get my gold, buy my pack” (I haven’t done arena in some time) kind of thinking.

Anyway, on the hypothesis that my relationship to Hearthstone is unhealthy, I’m taking a short break. Which is a bummer, because otherwise I’d start saving up gold for this pack. But I’m really curious how I’ll feel about the game when I come back.

Aerothorn says:

In the same boat. I think Hearthstone has many fine aspects, but a combination of (intentionally?) balancing the game1 in such a way that it favors players who spend real money and the daily quest skinner box make me ashamed to admit I play it. I’m also considering an extended absence.

6. Noavailablenames says:

I think Blizzard are really pushing it with the amount of RNG in the game. It was tolerable before, but only barely. I’m not sure how much aggravation over it I can handle before I just give up. It’s really not an encouraging direction for anyone who takes the game seriously.

7. Moraven says:

The demo for the 1st stage was fun. Instead of a NPC hero with a hero power, each round puts out some new themed encounter, like a rolling boulder that will kill any minion to the left of it on your side.