Retro Platformer Poi Climbs Onto Early Access

Poi [official site] reminds me of every whimsical platformer I played in the 90s with its vibrant linear playground, shiny item scouring, atypically inspiring orchestral soundtrack, and droll and fluffy and oh-so-cute omnivorous mammal companions. When I asked news editor Alice if I could write about Poi today she said: “Sure, some people miss games like Bubsy”. I miss Bubsy. Poi’s out now on Steam Early Access. Nip inside for more details and a trailer.

Here, have a look for yourself:

I mean, what’s not to like, right? As you can see it’s floating platforms, abstracts puzzles and double air jumps galore. There’s even a token wisdom-ous explorer man, and a stereotypical science nerd to converse with along the way. And that soundtrack…

Okay, I’m not so naive that I can’t see my nostalgia getting the better of me here, but Poi does seem like a solid throwback to Way Back When when this sort of thing was the bee’s knees. That said, I’m a self-admitted sucker for similarly designed console classics – the Spyros, Crash Bandicoots and, yes, Bubsys. Subjectivity! Further down the line, developers PolyKid plan to introduce local coop and various challenges tied to the game’s online leaderboards. In its current state Poi offers two worlds, five challenge levels and a glimpse at the work-in-progress hub world.

It’s out now on Steam Early Access for £11 (or £7.36 with the launch discount).

1. Kabukiman74 says:

Poi? Yuudachi, are you behind this?

2. GameCat says:

Oh my. These days it’s so hard to find game like these outside of Nintendo.

I hope Poi and Hat In Time will bring more 3D platformers.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There is also Yooka-Laylee.

• Urthman says:

There have been a few 3D platformers on PC, but I’ve never seen one that looks this much like an homage to Mario 64. I’m very happy about this.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Google must think you made a typo because it is giving me adds for koi ponds on this article.

4. Michael Fogg says:

Pounding of Isaac?

5. Scurra says:

Oh my word. I think I got my money’s worth out of that in less than one level…
    The engine feels pretty robust, it plays great, there’s obviously scope for some quite sophisticated level design and the tune is a perfect earworm. What more could you ask for?

6. April March says:

“When I asked news editor Alice if I could write about Poi today she said: “Sure, some people miss games like Bubsy”. I miss Bubsy.”

That’s so funny, but also so sad! Let me give you a hug.

7. try2bcool69 says:

NOBODY misses Bubsy, that was the worst game ever of this genre. (Okay, ever of any genre.)

Is this some kind of inside joke I’m not privy to? No developer in their right mind would want that piece of garbage mentioned in an article about their game. I would SO sue you people if it was my game you were besmirching this way.

8. MadTinkerer says:

This reminds me of a series of games that were rumored to exist, the rumor was very widespread and many thought it was real, but since no one is allowed to make videos of any alleged games by that company, clearly the rumored series does not exist.

Good thing this exists, then. Future generations may even think that this, Hat In Time, and Yooka-Laylee were the first 3D platformers. After all, what evidence to the contrary is there?

(Yes, I am still mad at Nintendo. How could you tell?)