What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

We’re in that exciting-yet-puzzling period when half of the year’s biggest, highest-budget games arrive in the same fortnight. Cod Blops 3 came out this week, next week brings both Fallout 4 and StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, then after that will come the delayed PC version of AssCreed Lahndan. I’m interested in most of those yet barely have time for one so plbbbt. Perhaps this weekend’s play will help clean the slate. What will you be playing? Here’s what we’re into right now:

Adam: I’m still playing Pathologic. The HD re-release came out a week ago and I should probably stop playing and start writing, but I don’t want to stop. It’s a game that accrued an almost mythical status in my mind, such that I’d forgotten how entertaining it actually is. So much of the conversation around it focuses on the strange and the sinister, but I’d entirely forgotten how witty the writing is. If The Stanley Parable were an experimental horror game…
Alec: You’ll find out on Monday.
Alice: I’m going down down down in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, finding and unlocking and fighting so many new weird and wonderful things. I’m glad that folks haven’t yet put everything into neat and tidy wiki pages too, stopping me from ruining my own fun of trying to figure out what the heck I’ve just picked up. Half the new items I find are still mysteries to me. I might hack the planet in Hacknet too. I also want to see how Tales from the Borderlands ends. And get out in some trees or water or hills and…
Graham: This weekend I will be playing Football Manager 2016. It’s taken me a few attempts to get in to the groove with a new career, as it always does, but I’m currently manager of Leeds United on the brink of relegation in the year 2035. I’ve taken over at Christmas, which gives me fewer than 6 months to sort out the discord in the team, move a few places higher than our current resting point, and to try to reduce our wage budget so there’s something to rebuild with over the summer. Bet I get fired.
John: [What’s John doing this weekend? We may never know, unless you keep reporting sightings. Last week’s main signs of the scamp got a little confused, but ‘mgardner’ helpfully translates: “[John is a Wingdings lover and] received a medal for bravery during the Ardennes forest panzer assault of an entrenched infantry unit (American), during which the enemy was first routed and then eliminated. Lehr vs. 14th Cavalry!” That sounds like John all right.]
Philippa: This weekend I will likely be playing more Overwatch. Unless I go home. If I go home I will be playing shops and restaurants with my little niece. I am slightly better at pretending to enjoy eating plastic food than she is so she gets suspicious and makes us swap plates multiple times during the meal to check that she isn’t missing out on some amazing plastic roast turkey.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. MiniMatt says:

So either Alec has Fallout 4 review code, or Monday will see the final dramatic conclusion of his weekend long armed siege.

Don’t the police realise he’ll be spending this weekend building a full scale working battle robot from old Transformers model parts to bust the siege and impose his iron rule upon us all?

2. lowprices says:

Finally got Sonic Generations and Valkyria Chronicles working on my laptop thanks to an hour or so of buggering about with the NVidia Control Panel and config files (*Shakes fist grumpily at the general concept of PC gaming*), so that’s this weekend sorted.

Also: Thanks to the Daft Souls podcast, I’m now working my way through the Sorcery! mobile phone games. Only played the first one so far, and it’s not a patch on 80Days (by the same studio), but it’s fun and clever and I liked it enough to download the second immediately upon finishing.

• ansionnach says:

I liked Sonic Generations. The 2D levels are a lot of fun. They also have the right feel – lacking the floatiness of the Sonic 4 side-on 3D games. The 3D levels aren’t as good, but most of them aren’t too bad at least.

• lowprices says:

Yeah. I went in with low expectations because, y’know, modern Sonic game, but it’s a lot of fun. The 3D levels are a bit too imprecise because of the speed you travel at, but they’re still pretty good. This is the first 3D Sonic game that I haven’t wanted to throw out of a window within 10 minutes of playing, which is an achievement in itself.

• ansionnach says:

I really liked Sonic Adventures 1 & 2 on the Dreamcast as well. They certainly have their flaws but one of the reasons 3d Sonic levels can work is where the game design is well aware of the imprecision of the controls. In the case of Sonic Adventure 2, there are some excellent levels with Sonic and Shadow towards the end but you’ve got to largely suffer through the non-hedgehog ones to get to the good stuff. Some of those aren’t that bad, either. The music towards the end of the game’s pretty good. I may have been slightly moved by the ending but I’m a bit of a softie.

Sonic Heroes was, in my experience, uniformly terrible. If I finished it I can’t remember. There was one time I forced myself through it and got pretty far. By the time I was finished I deleted all the save files in case I’d try and play it again.

3. KaiUno says:

More Binding of Isaac for me as well. I’ve been consumed by it for over a week now. With a mere 20 hours I hardly touched Rebirth, but Steam is telling me it’s been 63 so far, since Afterbirth came along… I was planning on finishing up with Metal Gear, but I guess we can forget about that for now.

4. Vacuity729 says:

I’m currently deep in the Card Hunter bug again. It’s so much fun experimenting with (and later cursing) new builds.
    Slightly worryingly, I seem to have developed a Pavlovian response to the musical jingles used for the loot drops. When I hear the jingle for an epic or legendary item, my heart rate definitely twitches and I get itchy, itchy, itchy to see what it is! Scary!

5. Jakkar says:

Grand Theft Auto V was a surprisingly good investment, having failed to irritate the hell out of me so far. The Online component intimidates me, infested as it is with cheaters spawning explosions all over the city, duplicating a hundred cars on my head and so forth… And the general players, high ranked and obsessive, with powerful weapons and no class. No class at all.

It feels like it has potential, but I wish I could play it with a crew of semi-rational players who actually want to share an enjoyable experience.

I may stare at The Witcher 2’s launcher icon for a while again, and consider trying to wrestle my way through it in order to earn my way to the third.

Or stare at my Playstation 3, and try to persuade myself that struggling through Peace Walker is a good idea, to permit my stubborn plot-fiend faction to start up 4, and thus 5…

Life is difficult. Perhaps I’ll just click on Hexcells for two days and cry silently.

• Veles says:

I have the same problem with the Witcher 2. Everyone goes on about how amazing it is but I’m struggling to stay interested in it. I think it suffers from too long an intro sequence…or is the whole game like that?

I actually preferred the first Witcher I think. Once they patched it to reduce the horrible loading and saving times.

• Jakkar says:

While I cursed the swamp, took three tries to finally get past it and finish the game, and found the whole latter half of the game to be a mess, in retrospect, I do still love The Witcher… And the sequel, from its floaty, incomprehensible yet infuriatingly difficult combat to its lifeless environments is disappointing me rather badly.

I feel bored by it. I share the protagonist’s sense of weariness and boredom with his world, his apparent desire to escape all the miserable obligations piled upon him by kings and spies. He wants to go and do his own thing instead of stamping around in a swamp, or a muddy battlefield, and I share the urge – thus my deep desire to try The Witcher 3, in which – I hear – I will get to actually be a Witcher, rather than a grumbling agent of dead kings.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I never played the first and didn’t finish the second and didn’t find any problems understanding the third. Most fantasy games have such convoluted plots and histories that I tend to just accept that there’s a lot I will never understand while playing.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Yup, GTAV has surprised me too. I’ve only been playing story mode, but the quality of some of the writing has been head and shoulders above what I’ve come to expect from Rockstar. Trevor is a fine example – when he was first introduced, he seemed like Rockstar personified. Psychopathic, vulgar, manipulative, etc. That’s all totally accurate, but as time goes on, you see occasional glimpses of humanity, to the point where, by the North Yankton mission, he’s actually the sympathetic character.

• Jakkar says:

I was dreading Trevor, he – exactly as you said – seemed, by reputation and first impression, to personify everything I hated about GTA IV and GTA: Vice City (itself based upon Scarface, a film I couldn’t stand for similar reasons – unbearable main character focused upon for hours while being dull, stupid and unpleasant, does not compute)…

… Now, for all that he is a sick, twisted creep, he has a stronger (if not very well calibrated) moral compass than the empty Franklin and Michael characters, who represent dull-witted greedy obedience to authority and panic-driven childish sociopathy, respectively. Trevor is vile, but he has a soul, values, interests, passions, and actually, in his bizarre way, seems to have some sort of… Compassion?

Bemusing.

Anyway, it is legitimately funny in a way GTA hasn’t been for many years, as though the legit satire of the early games tried to grow up, realised adulthood was for children, and regressed back to silliness but with a MUCH more bitter, cynical and burnt out view of the world. Watching Michael’s mid-life crisis play out step by step is agonising, yet still somehow entertaining. In a painful way.

The gameplay, meanwhile, still doesn’t have quite the sense of freedom I hoped for from the 3d GTA games all those years ago, nor does it have the awesome gang-war AI interactions from GTA II – but it is entertaining.

I just need multiplayer companions! It’s scary out there with nothing but an auto-pistol and rampant paranoia.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Trevor is the only character (that I have seen) in a game to lay out the nature of torture. It exists to benefit the torturer and nothing more. It was refreshing to hear after the horrible scene that precedes and not some more “the ends justify the means” BS that so many games try to push.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Bah!

“…the horrible scene that precedes that conversation…”

• fish99 says:

*spoilers*

I did have a problem with Trevor murdering two perfectly harmless people (Floyd and his fiancé) for no real reason. That to me was more disturbing than the torture scene.

*spoilers*

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I felt the same way and I think it is because those murders happen behind closed doors. Your brain will always come up with the worse case scenario when you can’t see what is happening.

• welverin says:

Were you trying to say you wanted to finish Peace Walker before playing MGS4 and MGS5?

If so, why are you playing them out of order!?

• Jakkar says:

Chronology! Something something! I have a disc with 2, 3 and Peace Walker on it! And Peace Walker is technologically rudimentary and has painfully simplistic gameplay, so I’m keen to get it out of the way rather than hate it more later for being even more irritating compared to 4 and 5!

Aerothorn says:

Jakkar, as a fellow plot fiend, I will tell you this:

1. The best/most rewarding plot-parts of Peace Walker are all codec. It has some of the finest codec conversations in the series.

2. The cutscenes, and main plot, are the worst in the series (except maybe, um, 5, but we don’t talk about that).

The gameplay is…portable gameplay, as you’re surely aware. Therefore, while I woulnd’t say this with anything else….watching a Youtube playthrough with someone who obsessively codecs is legit.

• Jakkar says:

Your advice is appreciated, but without my own ADHD-necessitated balance of codec-vs-gameplay to retain my focus, I fear I’d not be able to stand it. Thus far I’ve found the vast majority of the codec communications to be extremely… Dry, without the dark humour and surrealism that made Snake Eater’s communications so entertaining.

The combat being so much simpler than 3, which I just finished, is… Painful to cope with, especially in these tiny, predictable levels. And the boss fights are unbearable. But the flying robots and their gentle singing have me frustratingly hooked on learning more, in addition to the general loyalty the series has earned in me so far, since first properly playing MGS (PSX) around five or six years ago…

I’ll give it another try or two before I consider a compromise like reading/listening online.

• welverin says:

Well, if you’re playing the HD Collection, you are forgiven.

But then, who am I to talk, I still haven’t played through Portable Ops or Peace Walker myself.

• Jakkar says:

PO simply wasn’t an option, though that frustrated me. Peace Walker being in the collection beside 3 made it impossible to ignore, meanwhile. I purchased a PS3, the HD collection, and 4 as one bundle and jammed it all into my backpack when my old PS3’s disc drive repair would have cost nearly as much as a new one… Now I’m trying to catch up before the internet spoils V for me ;-;

I’ve somehow turned my hobby and passion into a rather painful obligation. How this happened I don’t know. Perhaps it’s a facet of depression.

6. Veles says:

I’ve just discovered the joys of Rocket League. Also discovered resetting my router was the solution to horrible packet loss when playing online and am now bossing it with aerial shots and epic saves.

Picked up Stick of Truth in the sale so need to go though that. Also still need to finish Shadowrun Hong Kong.

For some reason I also started playing Warband again. Old save where I was starting to do really well was on the old dead PC so starting from scratch again.

However this evening will most likely be a night of board games as we have a little gathering.

7. GWOP says:

When will Alice’s prejudice against moustachioed men come to an end?

8. caff says:

Rocket League has suckered me back in again, playing ranked doubles matches. It’s great fun with two players.

Adam’s comment amount Pathologic HD makes me think I should have another go this weekend, after my failure last week.

And I really should finish Life is Strange, considering I love it so much.

9. OlaOst says:

Messed up the post :(
    Meaning to say that’s the Blue Planet Directors Cut mod of Freespace 2.

The Almighty Moo says:

I’ve just started playing free space 2 and have been looking for best way to experience it. I’ve got free space open, but was wondering what the best way to o through the campaign is. Is FS Blue worth it for a newbie or should I go through the vanilla campaign.

• floogles says:

Vanilla no doubt, then blue planet since it’s a fan made sequel.

The Almighty Moo says:

Thanks Floogles.
          I saw that blue has a tweaked version the original campaign but may just stick with the vanilla game based on that.

10. zoog85 says:

After watching the Godfather 1 and 2 I finally got myself to play Mafia 2. Somehow it lost my interested when I bought it on release, and according to Steam only played it for 3 hours.

11. mvar says:

Galak-z. I guess the fact that the dev was inspired by the same anime i grew up with did the trick and sold this game. 2 hours in, not disappointed.

12. caff says:

John was last seen foraging in his local parks for the remains of sparklers left over from bonfire night. He was heard laughing and cackling, saying something about forcing mice to use the little sticks for a miniature pole-vaulting competition.

13. dangermouse76 says:

I’ll be hitting up the skyrim dlc. Which I have not played
    yet. Any input on which is the strongest of the lot ?

• dangermouse76 says:

After Fallout 4 has finished pre-loading !

• LennyLeonardo says:

Dragonborn was my favorite. Solstheim is pretty interesting and some of the side quests were good. Also the Lovecraft influences in the main quest tickled my geek bone.

• RedViv says:

Dragonborn is probably the most interesting. After that you’ll have a really nice new way of traversing the landscape.

• dangermouse76 says:

I hadn’t realised ( or had forgotten ) that there only the 2 actually.
        Have you tried any MOD quests ? I played Moonpath to Elsweyr, which was fun but I haven’t delved deep into MOD questing.

• RedViv says:

Falskaar, Wyrmstooth, Beyond Reach, and the one I have not dug in too deeply yet but would still recommend, The Gray Cowl of Nocturnal. All recommended for really good Elder Scrollsing about. And then there is Wheels of Lull, which is… not everybody’s cup of tea, but if you enjoy the weird areas of Dragonborn and don’t mind not being able to see daylight for weeks (and in the game) it is definitely a great one too.

• particlese says:

Well, technically there are three if you count bartering orphans for Ikea houses or whatever that Hearthstone thing was. (To be fair: I haven’t actually played it.)

I only played about 15 minutes of Dragonborn before getting distracted by ESO, but the bits that far were intriguing. Definitely intend to get back into it at some point.

I found Dawnguard pretty good, which was a surprise for me since I’m sort of allergic to all things undead. Replies to my weekendly RPS comments generally indicated that it has a good story and interesting characters, if I remember correctly. I enjoyed it, but less articulately — mostly just thinking that certain aspects were pretty cool or surprisingly fun.

• fish99 says:

For story and characters I preferred Dawnguard, but they’re both pretty good.

14. Imbecile says:

Been catching up on the wide variety of PS+ games I have as a backlog, while waiting for Fallout 4. I held off playing the second season of the walking dead because I liked where season 1 was left, and didnt want to play more if it was just going to get grimmer ,and be of a poorer quality. So far its good enough to justify playing.

As for John, he’s teaming of with Hideo Kojima following his exit from Konami (Hideo, not John – do keep up), to create a spin off sequel to Peace Walker, wherein a games journalist slowly comes to terms with a consuming hatred for Myst that threatens the WORLD.

• Imbecile says:

Dammit: “teaming up”.
      Something something edit button.

Also will be playing Rocket league.

15. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Still trying to finish the heart of the swarm campaign before legacy of the void comes out. My obsession with doing all the side missions is not helping.

16. Luciferous says:

Helping the missus get unstuck on MGSV, the usually FFXIV weekend raiding with chums! I’m also halfway through prototyping a new side scrolly action RPG type dealio.

17. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’ve been trying out again SWTOR since a couple of weekends now, and i’m pretty much impressed by all the progress and changes they made along with all of the returning players, my server. It almost seems like day 1 when it comes to population.

There’s also this referral program that gives an advantage to both parties involved, whoever clicks this link will get a lot of goodies including a free character transfer and other quality of life extras usually reserved to subscriptions, and 7 days of extra time in case one decides to subscribe.

link to swtor.com

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

*returning players on my server*

Yadda yadda edit button etc.

• Rwlyra says:

I registered an account using friends referral link and it simply didn’t work. The account was registered but I didn’t get the Jumpstart pack in mail.

18. Morph says:

Done the first 2 chapters of Tales from the Borderlands. Pretty good so far. Also, Vermintide. Someday we will progress beyond easy difficulty.

19. cpy says:

Definitely ANNO 2205!

• RedViv says:

Yeah okay Donald Trump.

jk

Seriously though why does this one have to be soooo bloody expensive?

• anHorse says:

It’s £20 on places like cdkeys

Which is much more reasonable than the prices I’m seeing for fallout 4

Speaking of buying I’ve just seen vermintide very cheap so I’m going to go back over the reviews of it and decide if I like the idea of it or not

20. TehK says:

I’m with Graham and will be continuing my career through Football Manager 2016. Funnily enough, I was managing Leeds but got sacked after the first half of the season. I’m now managing the SV Wehen Wiesbaden in Germany’s 3rd League :D

• TehK says:

Oh, I forgot… I’ll have an eye as well on GoG’s autumn sale. Wanted to get Guild of Dungeneering twice already but everytime they removed it from the discounts. I’ll get you eventually! *shakes fist*

21. Legion23 says:

The mod “Call of Chernobyl” for STALKER is finally released so I will play that. (It is freeplay extended with new maps and stuff, something I have waited for a long time.)

22. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I’ll be playing The Waiting Game. It’s what I do when I’m anticipating a game in a few days and nothing else will satisfy.

• Agnosticus says:

Is it a game, though? Or just a waiting simulator?

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

The latter. It goes by real time, too. One hour in the game is one hour in real life. It’s quite something.

23. particlese says:

This evening will play host to ESO pvp, but for now there is Eat the Cheddar. My ex-boss raided Tesco on my behalf during his trip to England, and here’s what I think thus far:
    -Pretty sure Cabot Old School is still my favorite (sorry, it’s a US Cheddah, but it’s ~5 years old and totally awesome)
    -Davidstow black/extra mature is excellent, too, though, and my favorite from England so far
    -Davidstow blue/mature is milder but still quite tasty
    -McLelland extra strong has a slight funk to it that initially put me off but is starting to grow on me.
    -Cathedral City’s mature and extra mature are kinda like the Davidstow blocks, but smaller, and they’ve become less interesting since I can find them in stores here. I’ll have to try them side-by-side side at some point.
    -Tesco’s (allegedly “finest”) vintage Cheddar and extra mature Somerset Cheddar are surprisingly good for what I’d expect from a store brand, and just plain tasty besides. I’m a bit cheesed out at the moment, though, so I can’t differentiate them. I think the Somerset stuff had less of the crunchy bits in it…
    -haven’t yet opened the block of Yorkshire Wensleydale, but I’m looking forward to trying an English cheese other than Cheddar

Any suggestions for when I eventually make a cheese-retrieval trip myself?

• DevilishEggs says:

This post really breaks the mold.

pertusaria says:

Wensleydale comes in several flavours – try Kit Calvert or Hawes if you find the standard stuff a bit unassuming. I wish I could think of others, but beyond the stuff at the local farmers’ market I haven’t found many new favourites in England so far. If you’re in Ireland, try Carrigaline, Cashel Blue or preferably go into a Sheridan’s shop and see what takes your fancy (you may want to give yourself a budget first).

I played Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons up to the first night-time bit on Thursday afternoon, which is closer to playing something at the weekend than I usually get. I’m enjoying it so far. Other than that, I played a few minutes of Mario Kart on the 3DS on the train home this evening.

• particlese says:

A little belatedly, but: Thanks for the pun and the recommendations! *saves to “cheese recommendations.txt”*

24. TheAngriestHobo says:

This weekend will be two parts GTAV, one part SOMA, and just a dash of CK2. Whip profusely and bake on high for 48 hours.

25. Boult Upright says:

Still chipping away at Mad Max. I’m in the groove with it now and as I long as I play it (and it only) regularly (Steam says 15 hours in the last two weeks) and should get through everything it has to offer. That’s the plan, anyway.

26. Moog101 says:

I will be trying to finish off Grim Dawn. I only found out about this gem last week and have been playing it obsessively, trying to get to the end before all my future spare time gets consumed by Fallout 4. Around 30 hours in, i’ve got to the end of Act 3. Act 4 to be released later this year (hopefully after Fallout 4 is done and dusted :)

27. Morcane says:

– Getting a refund for Dragon Fin Soup. Looking forward to it forever, got it and tried to like it for 2 hours but the graphics gave me a serious headache, and it’s simply not a good game. Very disappointing.
    – Hearthstone coop brawl, it’s tons of fun.
    – Elite: Dangerous.

28. Abrahim1979 says:

I’ll be back to Arkham City.
    I really love those side quests.
    I love this game simply becauuse it reminds me of Arkham Asylum, that is the better of the lot.

29. Mario Figueiredo says:

OpenTTD. Have becoming growingly consisten in achieving 1m yearly profits within the first 10 years. I think I may be ready for multiplayer.

zinzan says:

Combat Mission: Beyond Normandy (CMBN for short) as allways several PBeM ladder games ongoing; testing a scenario for other and getting up and running in a new campaign. Also playing that game where I try and keep gaming whilst looking after sickly 5yr old and needy 9yr old :) Though my darling wife is doing most of that ;)

May have a look at my long delayed GTA IV game because I WILL finish it before buying GTA V (which I won’t buy until there is a GOTY version at £20 or less). Definetely play a few Pinball FX2 tables whilst waiting for turns to come in.

John is haunting the smaller towns of england wandering through charity shops on a desperate search for “M1 Tank Platoon” for his 1989 entry in the “Games that Should be Remade” series.

31. sillythings says:

My generous coworker/friend gifted me Undertale, and goodness, it’s lovely, isn’t it?
    I’d tried the demo before and though I was mildly amused, the battle system hadn’t really yet clicked for me and I remembered tedious examples of dealing with random enemy encounters in the past, so I wasn’t too excited about it. But man, does the game get hilarious after the tutorial section. Even disregarding that, the gameplay itself is so much fun, too. The way the combat system constantly switches things up, the way each battle feels unique to every enemy, the way the enemy portrait and the play area occasionally combine… it’s very clever.
    Overall, the game just feels fresh. Unique. New. I recognize the individual parts the gameplay is made out of, where the inspiration comes from, but taken as a whole, it feels completely unlike anything else I’ve ever played and that is incredibly exciting.

If I finish Undertale before the weekend is over, I’ll probably go back and tackle the end of The Witcher 3’s main quest – having finally gotten back into the game over the past two weeks (after a 3 month hiatus). That, or The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.

Or maybe try one of the titles from that Humble Monthly bundle. Did anyone else grab it in hopes the guess the skeleton in the hint image was supposed to represent Shovel Knight (or at least Crypt of the Necrodancer, or Rogue Legacy)? Man, I was so disappointed. Though I guess I shouldn’t be – I’m definitely interested in Towerfall, Lethal League and Besiege and I guess the price of the bundle was those three at their lowest sale price. And Saint’s Row IV, Valkyria Chronicles and Legend of Grimrock 2 had good enough reviews on this here very website, even if I doubt I’ll be giving them a spin any time soon. (The Humble Store putting the GOTC version of Saint’s Row IV on sale right this weekend definitely is a very rude gesture to subscribers though, let’s be honest.)

• mgardner says:

What are you doing? I thought we forbade you from subscribing to the Humble monthly bundle.

• sillythings says:

I’m a grown man! I do whatever I want! I make whatever ridiculous mistakes I’ll come to regret and feel disappointed by that I want!

• Geebs says:

I’ve just started playing Grimrock 2 and it’s pretty great – if you liked the first one at all, you’ll like this.

I just got it by itself, though, because the Humble Monthly thing sounds like it would eat all my hard disk space.

• Kitsunin says:

Towerfall and Lethal League would be wonderful if it weren’t for the whole no-friends thingy dingy.

• sillythings says:

Yeah, I’m not going to get a chance to play them with a bunch of friends right now either, but at the very latest, once me and my fiancée will have our own apartment next year, there will be gaming parties, and it shall be amazing.

I definitely see how someone who has even less chances to play with friends would be even more disappointed by the selection of games, though. I feel like they should have given out a two-pack for Lethal League, since that one actually has online multiplayer.

• Kitsunin says:

I’m hoping to ensnare the game-liking friend I recently made into coming over to my house, ha. As an adult it’s kind of awkward inviting people to your home though, especially when you don’t live that nearby one another, grr.

• sillythings says:

Yeah, I get that. But hey, here’s to hoping things will turn out well with that friend and you’ll both have a great time! :)

• caff says:

My god, Undertale.

I don’t know where to start but I dislike it beyond measure. Quite how the “JRPG” genre/style of game has survived beyond the age of the ZX spectrum is beyond me.

• Geebs says:

The tutorial for Undertale is a huge let-down, especially given how much hype it’s been getting. Thing is, after the tutorial, it gets a lot better; then it gets freaking awesome.

Unfortunately, after that, it becomes incredibly painful to backtrack, and nearly impossible to finish the game if you did a pacifist run the first time through. So, I’m done with it and haven’t got the energy to try again.

32. Munin says:

This Trails in the Sky on this end but I will have a go at something else as well to break it up a bit. I’ve been overplaying the two games a little lately especially since they are rather time consuming if you have a completionist streak and want to get as much of the incidental dialog as possible. The little side stories that play out are myriad and one of my favourite things about that series but yeah, there is a lot of it to read.

Might have a go at Life is Strange or Republique as a palate cleanser.

33. Minglefingler says:

Every Saturdaty afternoon John arrives home with a bag filled full of chocolate. Nibbling swiftly gives way to gulping down huge mouthfulls of the delicious stuff as a strange mania takes hold. A few hours later he wakens lying face down on his living room floor, wearing only a pair of white y-fronts, his skin smeared with the remnants of molten dairy milk. “Never again” he whispers but in his heart he knows that that’s a promise he can’t keep.

34. Fungaroo says:

Afterbirth for me. Wish I would have tried to unlock Lilith before the Azazel nerf.

35. criskywalker says:

I’ll be playing more Binding of Isaac Afterbirth. The great thing about this game is that despite the fact that I suck at it, it’s so fun to discover new stuff all the time. I wish more AAA developers used this kind of procedurally generated content which improves replayability in an amazing way. And having more content with Afterbirth only makes it better!

I’ll also will be playing more The Witcher 3 minus the expansion. More than 70 hours in and still having plenty of content to discover. Taking my time with this game and I don’t feel like rushing.

I’ll also be playing some Hearthstone, trying to make some coins because I haven’t and don’t intend to spend any real cash to play this game and want to play the new expansion.

All that may change next week as the GOTY gets released. And sorry, I pre-ordered. Hopefully we won’t be disappointed, but I highly doubt it.

36. csbear says:

Going to fire up Chaos Reborn and continue with Divinity:OS and Wasteland 2.

37. Zenicetus says:

Rebel Galaxy, which I started and then got distracted away for some reason. I’m at the point where I’ve just left the first system, and found out I need a bigger boat.

For a strategy fix between bouts of space pew pew, I might try GalCiv3 again, since there was a recent patch (AI, I think?).

38. Laurentius says:

A bit of many things: GTA5-Online, Witcher3 – Heart of Stone, Portal 2 and of course FTL. I am still playing FTL and can’t stop, it may be favorite game of all time after all.

39. yonsito says:

Rebel Galaxy.
    It may not redefine the genre but it’s really slick.

40. prof_yaffle says:

In preparation for Fallout 4, I’ve started replaying Fallout New Vegas. Fortunately I’ve managed to fix the bug which caused the HUD (and everyone’s hair) to keep randomly disappearing.
    If anyone else has tried playing on Linux and spotted this bug, the fix is to turn off water reflection and water refraction from the launcher options.

41. yan spaceman says:

I’ve started playing The Masterplan. Much like your Wot I Think I was also initially (slightly) put off by the cartoon graphics, but the gameplay blows all reservations out the window.

• Jakkar says:

A lot of fun, but be prepared for the unpleasant shift of emphasis during a specific mission centred around a mansion. No stealth, pure combat, and the gameplay isn’t optimised for it at all.

Other than that, I’ve loved it =)

Check out my posts on their Steam forum for some technique tips, if you care to.

42. DaceX says:

Actually going back to an old favorite: Mass Effect. Friend of mine discovered it recently, and liked it, so i had the desire to play again. Just finished the first one,oh man the script at times…Still like the game, second ones download is now underway.

Other than that,like so many others, some Isaac inbetween, after spending nearly every free minute last week playing. The expansion was a nice reason to start a new file, to experience the full package in a more fluid way.

43. rahji says:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney because i like cheesy japanese writing. The twists in the cases and the music that is playing when you just destroy the testimony of a witness is really statisfying.
    Also some Afterbirth. I struggle with the challenges.

Risingson says:

Keep on playing. I am very against visual novels or the not-very-challenging path of the adventures nowadays, but the way the Phoenix Wright games make fun of everything, twist the noir conventions and makes you unexpectly laugh is gold.

Well, at least until Dual Destinies, which is crap all along.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I have Sunday until Wednesday off so will be spending the time I get off work until Monday at 11pm for Mr. Fallout to become Mr. Unlocked. I’ll be playing some short or arcade games in my backlog until then. Things that won’t require a lot of dedication to get into. I have Jazzpunk and Life is Strange ep.1 lined up.

Mmmaybe give Galak-Z another go. I am up to the third season’s final episode and that stupid boss fight is really getting on my nerves. Dark Souls is the same thing. I just can’t bring myself to keep fighting Seath over and over again. Those caves sure are pretty but that doesn’t mean I want to spend hours running through them for the 100th time. This battle is especially annoying what with the cursing and all. Dark Souls is best when you are discovering new things, but the game really makes sure you don’t get to.

45. ansionnach says:

I’ve been playing Castle Wolfenstein. The first one from 1981 that was originally an Apple II game but was also released for Atari 400/800, C64 and IBM PC. It’s really good and I’d recommend it. Its sequel, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein was released for free with the blessing of Silas Warner’s wife after his death and some guy ported its assembly code to DOS. It was originally released as an IBM PC booter, which works much the same as most Amiga games that were bootable and independent of any operating system. Castle Wolfenstein had digitised speech using the PC speaker. It’s roughly equivalent to what you got from the 8-bit consoles – think they were all ported from the Apple II and its sound was from its 1-bit speaker (or sounded like it). Even though they’re in CGA, I’d recommend the PC versions as they run a lot quicker, without loading times and the insane screeching, slowdown and screen fit when you walk into a wall.

Other than that I just played a bit of Duke3d to see if I now disagree with my memories of it being superb (it’s still great).

Might take a trip down memory lane and take a look at some really old beat ’em ups. My first computer was a PC and I snapped up pretty much anything that was an arcade conversion in the early days. Seemed the PC was the idiot cousin of the Amiga, and even the ST, but then 80s and early nineties ports of arcade games were often pretty terrible so not getting them may have been one of those blessings in disguise. PC version of Golden Axe was pretty good – pretty close to the Mega Driver version and better than the Amiga one, which was unplayable because it tried to do everything with only one button. I think I may have cried when I got the Turtles game. It was really awful and it had been my birthday present. Anyway, I might play a load of beat ’em ups and see if there’s anything to rival the mighty Golden Axe. I have played the arcade-only coin gobbler four-player sequel but it wasn’t as good as the original.

• ansionnach says:

After playing a day of old side-scrolling beat ’em ups I think I’m going to be physically sick… and I that wasn’t even touching the bad ones.

46. Caiman says:

Chaos Reborn almost exclusively (come on RPS, where’s the review?) because I’m completely addicted to it. Probably also some Rebel Galaxy which still has its hooks in me.

47. Shiloh says:

I’m playing Gary Grigsby’s War in the East this weekend.

More importantly, I spotted John in Brighton yesterday – he was wandering along the sea shore, singing “Cockles and mussels, alive alive oh” and carrying a small wicker basket. Poor lamb, there was a cool breeze coming off the sea and he had naught but a thin shawl wrapped around his shoulders to keep out the chill.

48. lglethal says:

Tore the tendons in my right shoulder this week so im doen to only 1 arm while i wait for surgery next week, that means amongst the painkillers i’ll be trying to play some turn based games, Xcom enemy within at the forefront, and maybe a bit of civ 5 or beyond earth. or probably more likely curled on the couch wishing i was playing and hoping that the painkillers kick in sometime soon…

pertusaria says:

Ow! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

syllopsium says:

I fractured my shoulder back at the end of June, I found adventures worked quite well (but not Gemini Rue, which has annoying shooty bits that need two hands..). Good luck with the surgery!

49. icecoldbud says: