Diablo III Patch 2.4 Out On PTR Next Week

Have you played Diablo III [official site]? For me it’s one of those games I find myself drawn back to time and time again for reasons I’m not entirely sure I can explain. I love messing about with it, basically, tinkering with builds, developing individual traits, I can never seem to be finished with it. The latest patch – number 2.4 – is huge and brings with it plenty more reasons why I won’t be done with it anytime soon.

A fair wad of information came with the Diablo III patch 2.4 announcement at BlizzCon this weekend. Give’s the highlights then, I hear you cry. Well, exclusive to Adventure mode, Gravehollow Island – to be part of Act V – is a brand new wooded zone that will introduce 16 new monsters to its confines. Worse still, it’s one of those dodgy forests – you know, the ones that crop up time and time again in video games; the ones that are all windy and foggy, wherein you can’t help but get perpetually lost. “The land itself is said to be hungry for blood”, says the patch notes. Aye, that’s the ones. Two new areas will also expand Sanctuary: the Eternal Woods and the Royal Quarters, which will include over 175 new bounties spread across acts III, IV, and V.

For my fellow tinkerers, Set Items are getting a revamp in an effort to bring more parity across classes, some of which will see total overhauls – Thorns of the Invoker and the Shadow’s Mantle, for example. Blizzard reckon these updates will grant players greater power so in turn greater challenge has been introduced by way of Set Dungeons: non-randomised areas that’ll let players test out and master their perfect (sure, “perfect”) sets. “Once you complete and don the full six pieces of any given class set, you’ll receive a clue to track down an ancient dungeon designed just for you and your set,” reads the blurb.

When addressing items, the patch notes read: “It wouldn’t be a new content patch in Diablo without a slew of new items.” There’s loads, apparently, so much that Blizzard “couldn’t possibly cover them all here.” What they do list is the fact there’ll be 40 new Legendaries, new powers added to existing power-less Legendaries, a slew of completely new items, and updates to some existing powers that “previously lacked that familiar orange text.”

That getting you excited? Full patch 2.4 information can be got, grabbed and grasped here.

Diablo III’s patch 2.4 is out on the PTR latter half of next week.

1. Skiv says:

What? Next week? Where did you read that?

We’re so eager to share all of this and more with you that we are aiming to launch the Patch 2.4.0 PTR in the weeks following BlizzCon so you can dive in and provide your feedback on all these new features.

This is what they wrote in the patchnotes. I say the patch will come in the next 2 months, knowing Blizz works on past patches

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Maybe they got it mixed up with the Hearthstone expansion. I was excited for a second. But yeah, even the PTR isn’t coming that soon.

• Joe Donnelly says:

You’re completely right, Skiv. Got a bit over-excited there, have changed.

Earl-Grey says:

Ah, Diablo 3, a game I swore that I would never buy.
    I would rather eat shit and die than support the seemingly nefarious business practice of Blizzard.
    Always bloody online.
    Auction house.
    ALWAYS ONLINE!

But what did I do about six months ago?
    That’s right, I bought my very own license to play Diablo 3 at Blizivision’s/Actizard’s mercy.
    Sodding weak minded fool.

• that_guy_strife says:

What auction house ?

Always online does kinda suck, getting logged off a single player session because the server has a fit or the cat pulls the router’s power cord isn’t great, but in the majority of the cases, aren’t computers (and consoles) always connected ?

• baozi says:

When a game is F2P like Path of Exile I don’t have a problem if it requires a constant internet connection to check on me. But a full price title? That’s brazen, IMO, and there are enough other good games. Bought Torchlight 2 instead back then to satisfy my hunger for ARPGs and loot collection.

• that_guy_strife says:

Why don’t you want a full price title keeping tabs on you vs. allowing a free one to ?

I would expect D3 having high game quality (no hacks/cheats), and PoE, well, it’s a F2P title, why should they invest in security ?

• Procrastination Giant says:

Slightly OT, but: While both games have their own problems unique to them It’s actually the other way around, sadly – D3 has a rampant Bot problem right now and has had it for quite some time and Blizzard didn’t really care until very, very recently. Nor do/did they seem to care about rampant use of third party tools among the “competitive” crowd. They’re also ridiculously slow when it comes to fixing critical bugs and don’t really listen to PTR feedback either, since their PTR server isn’t much more than a lazy marketing tool these days.

Whereas GGG, the developer behind PoE actually has been working against botting and exploiting a LOT and is usually very, VERY quick in shutting down exploits once they pop up. They pretty much instantly ban people that bot, use third party programs or RMT if enough evidence is found. Their patch cycle is also a lot faster, and while they occasionally ignore balance concerns for quite a while they usually fix critical bugs fairly rapidly. F2P doesn’t mean low quality in this case, far from it!

• baozi says:

It’s not a security issue to me, but, as it’s not an MMORPG, a DRM issue. PoE is free so I can live with whatever restrictions the devs impose: basically, because I don’t pay them, I can’t expect them to cater to me. If they shut it down sometime in the future, so be it. But D3 is a paid game, and I don’t want to pay for something that then feels the need to constantly check if I actually bought it, and which makes my ability to play it dependent on both the game’s servers and my internet connection. If I could only read ebooks while connected to the internet, I wouldn’t buy them, either.

Regarding the hacks/cheats thing, sure that may be a benefit of always-on, but I don’t play Diablo-likes with strangers online, so it’s irrelevant to me – and afaik even the single-player mode in D3 requires a constant connection, which is the worst part.

• that_guy_strife says:

Ebooks are by design far more portable, but I get your point.

As I said, getting kicked from a single player session because the server fluked is rage inducing.

I certainly hope that if (when) they eventually drop the game, they’ll also drop the always online.

I used to be a vehement protester of always online – reading you has made me wonder when I stopped caring.

• baozi says:

I guess how much you want to play something also factors in? It probably helped that at the time I thought the demo was just OK.

BlueTemplar says:

The worst part is probably that (if I am not mistaken), Diablo 3 has an offline mode… on consoles !

You probably stopped caring about always – on Internet requirements because you got a much better Internet connection (and also because Steam Offline mode got better).

• Michael Anson says:

The real reason for the always-on connection isn’t DRM, but rather for security. If you remember, Diablo II separated online and offline characters, in an attempt to keep online characters from taking advantage of exploits. This didn’t prevent characters from being edited while offline, however, and meant that characters that were offline couldn’t be shown off to your friends if you found something really cool.

By having the game “always on,” they were able to erase the line between single player and multiplayer characters, at the expense of that connection. That’s also why the console version is more lax with the connection requirement; console files are notoriously much more difficult to edit. It’s less about DRM and more about ensuring an even playing experience online, but it still introduces all the same negative aspects that having always-on requirements as DRM introduces (servers being down, patchy internet access, etc).

BlueTemplar says:

Except that you *could* play “offline” characters online, just not on Blizzard servers (which had the annoying rule of deleting your character after 6 months of inactivity).

• 2Ben says:

Do yourself a favor and play Grim Dawn. It’s really what’s missing from D3 and even Torchlight. It’s dark, gritty, offline if you want, and just plain great, even in Early Access!

Mungrul says:

I got sucked back in to the game a few days ago. It was my first time playing since season 4 started.
    And it just keeps getting better really, doesn’t it?

If any game deserves a re-review, I’d say its Diablo 3. The game it is today is completely different to when it was released, and the continued addition of substantial, completely free content never ceases to amaze me.

I am currently exploding things as an Exploding Palm focussed Monk, and it has a great capacity to make me grin like a loon.

• Snargelfargen says:

Can you speak to how the game is in singleplayer now? Never enjoyed multiplayer D2. Too much frantic running after party members and I never enjoyed the trading metagame (which is odd, considering how much time I spent cornering markets in WoW). Last I heard, using the auction house was necessary for progression in singleplayer?

• that_guy_strife says:

Snargelfargen:

Multi is fast-paced – min-maxing and running through crowds. I tend to play solo or with a buddy, and it’s perfectly viable for what it is. Of course building all-Ancient sets is slower that way than running lvl 55 grifts every 12 minutes, but you can focus on blowing monsters to pieces.

I’m confused by the talk of an auction house: I’ve never seen it. I thought it had been pulled like 2 years ago. You get a special currency to use at a random loot distributor that has decent chances of giving set items.

• that_guy_strife says:

There’s basically no trading – items you earn on your own are locked to your account, those you acquire while playing with people are (some, not all) available to trade with them for 24 hours.

• Snargelfargen says:

Thanks, I think a lot has changed since I last paid attention to the game!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s ancient history. Not to RPS commenters, though. ;)

• that_guy_strife says:

Funny story: I didn’t pick it up at launch because I had no one to play with, and I knew I’d get bored.

Then a buddy starting raving about it, of all things on his bloody console ! Diablo on a console ! Mindboggling. He didn’t have RoS so we took advantage of a sale with the bundle (apparently they don’t get much sales on consoles) and started playing on and off for the last year. The ambience and décor aren’t as great as the first two, but the gameplay is miles ahead, so it’s nice to mash some monsters every once in a while.

• kalzekdor says:

This is a reply to that_guy_strife, though I can’t do so directly due to nesting limits.

Diablo on consoles is nothing new. Back in the day Diablo (the original) was ported to PSX. (The original Playstation, I still refuse to abbreviate it PS1.) My first taste of Diablo was when we rented that from Blockbuster, and not on a PC.

Frak I’m old…

BlueTemplar says:

I’m not sure how they balanced the game, but if it was around the auction house, they did a poor job with that : it was way too easy to buy a completely overpowered gear for a character as long as you had another one a dozen levels higher to feed him money. Especially with the “-X levels required” affix (that topped out at 15?!). And that was before you could select the difficulty at will!

Or maybe they just considered that the game only really started at lvl60 (which was a bit dumb at that point due to lack of content) (as I hadn’t found a single set item, and maybe one unique and haven’t reached lvl60).

• that_guy_strife says:

Like Mr.Donnelly, I keep the game installed and go back to it every once in a while. The sheer number of legendaries means I’ll probably never see all of, and new areas aren’t that exciting.

It’s the more unique features like the set dungeons that makes exploring interesting again.

If only they would regularly add abilities or even characters …

4. Procrastination Giant says:

Go home Joe, you’re drunk! ;)
    They don’t release major patches mid-season, and season 4 is going to last until december, so i don’t expect this patch until late december or early january, really.

Even the patch notes this article link to clearly state that they don’t even have a fixed date or the PTR patch, so this article really shouldn’t be on the page in its current, unrevised form!

5. anHorse says:

Wut didn’t the season just start

6. golem09 says:

Been wondering for a while whether I someday should pick this up for PC or console. Do the PS4 and XOne version get all those updates as well? I’ve heard they are even better because of dodging and local multiplayer (Which is what I wanna do with my girlfriend probably)

• Unclepauly says:

Console versions are hacked to death. If you want to see what the PC version would look like with offline rent the console version and be amazed at the duped items and modded legendaries with ridiculous stats. Revel in the fun of teammates who one shot high level bosses.

BlueTemplar says:

Well if you’re only playing with friends, that’s not really an issue.

• Unclepauly says:

Very true. Stay away from public games and it’s not broken.

• that_guy_strife says:

My pal who used to play it on console likes the Pc version a lot more, he says the controls allow you much more … control. Apparently the XP and gold rates are way higher on PC too.

7. mihalis341 says:

How the hell the game costs only 3$ form here? And its legit. Lol it was such a steal for me :p link to goo.gl

• kalzekdor says:

Because that’s the Diablo II expansion, which is 14 years old at this point. You also need to own the base Diablo II game in order to play it. I think that the original price for the expansion was only like $20. $3 isn’t much of a steal…

(Also, I’m going to assume that’s your referral link, which is…. underhanded to say the least.)

8. Likethiss says:

Why do you keep posting wrong information about D3 and Heroes Of The Storm… Please have someone fact check the articles or just dont post them at all :)