StarCraft II: Nova Covert Ops To Come In 2016

StarCraft II: Legacy Of The Void [official site] is the third and final installment of the StarCraft II trilogy and it’s out this coming week – November 10, to be exact. Naturally, you might’ve assumed this would mark the end of StarCraft for the time being, that after this one we’d have to wait a while for the next, if there was to be another one at all. Right? Wrong: Blizzard have announced a three-part mission pack named Nova Covert Ops that’ll launch in Spring 2016 to keep all you StarCraftians going. We’ve got the Legacy Of The Void launch trailer AND the Nova Covert Ops trailer below to suit your needs.

Since it’s out first, here’s Legacy Of The Void first:

A wee blast into the StarCraft series past there for all you nostalgia nuts, you’ll see. Speaking to nostalgia, the upcoming Nova Covert Ops is to be based around Nova Terra – the ghost from StarCraft II: Wings Of Liberty, one of StarCraft’s “most memorable characters”, suggest Blizzard. Each pack, of which there are to be three spread out across next year, will contain three missions each (that’s nine all told, for those of you still nursing last night’s hangover) that will feature new gear and new load-out features. Story-wise, it’s set after the events of Legacy Of The Void whereby you can look forward to uncovering Nova’s dealings with the “Defenders of Man”, a group of Terran separatists.

The first one’s set to release in “Spring 2016”. Let’s take a look at what we can expect together:

1. Punning Pundit says:

I’m excited! I’m in the half of StarCraft players who are single-player only, and this is exactly what I’ve been wanting from Blizzard for a long time.

I hope these missions will be base building with all the Wings of Liberty goodies unlocked- I didn’t get to spend enough time with Predators (robot cats!). Similarly: Warhounds were never balanced right for multiplayer, and so only made a brief appearance in Heart of the Swarm’s campaign. However- if I could build them to crush my foes in an AI game, that would be a blast.

I do have a fear that this will be a Diablo style set of missions, where I have a Hero and am given a finite number of units to nursemaid through what amounts to a dungeon. Those have been a staple of StarCraft since the first game, so it wouldn’t be a departure for them. However, those have always been my least favorite missions.

• EhexT says:

It sounds like they’re basically doing a Dawn of War 2 campaign. Nova gets levels, there’s gear you earn with missions and equip between missions, etc.

• Phenomen says:

Blizzard did it a long time ago in Warcraft 3

• EhexT says:

No they didn’t. Warcraft 3 had extremely limited between-mission persistence and there was no deep skill trees or loadout to choose between maps.

2. Nevard says:

I am glad they plan to continue support for Starcraft’s single player past release.
    I love the campaign but detest playing in multiplayer, previous instalments have always been a “finish the game, uninstall” experience for me.

3. Laurentius says:

Given that tile I wonder if Nova finally will go on the quest for finally finding something cover her butt more substantially.

• that_guy_strife says:

Doesn’t she wear a full body suit ?

• mouton says:

Spraypaint variety. If they could include a cameltoe and nipples, they would.

• Cedori says:

You know, it’s funny how no one ever says something like “Booo! This game seriously lacks naked bodies! Down with Developer!”.
      Aren’t you lot tired from blindly bashing anything that has niceness in it? I know that it’s really hip and modern to whine about sexualisation, but come on.
      Also – she’s cyber-ninja, don’t you think bulky armor will stiff her movement?

• aldo_14 says:

I’m not sure it counts as ‘bulky armour’ to simply give her a pair of trousers that don’t go into her bumcrack. I mean, I’m pretty sure you’d have to literally mould them to get them into that sort of arse-clinging shape.

• Bluestormzion says:

“Alright, time to get dressed and go to work- ah, hell, I used my last can of Spray-Pants yesterday. Guess I’ll have to wear my ridiculously modest and baggy yoga pants instead…”

• Arkayjiya says:

Come on, I love blizzard and they did became a little better at this, but they still have a long way to go: impractical boobplate, one-sided sexualization, for god’s sake they gave Kerrigan heels in her Zerg form, that was the most ridiculous thing I’d seen in a long time. So yeah, it is a valid complaint.

• Cedori says:

Were they “worse” at that at some point? I’m not protecting Blizzard, do note this, I’m saying that every single time there is even hint at some “naughty” stuff, Internet League of Chastity is here to tell everyone how off put they are and how, for some reason, developers, who clearly has their opinion on how their characters must look, must listen to them.
          Tell me – what’s worse? Sarah’s heels (which can help with movement, I think), or icky meaty bulbing squishy screeching mass of meat she commands? No one ever complains about that, no one says “Oh my god, make aliens that don’t look like rotten food!”. Why? Because this sort of complaints is based on one single thing – “I don’t want anyone to think I’m creep when they see me playing this game”. It’s really is same thing as parents asking violence on TV to be banned just because they fail at teaching their child what’s right and what’s not (and like the fact that tv-box can entertain, teach and keep child on one place, because they can’t be busy doing that themselves).
          Finally, about one-sided sexualisation – right, it’s bad. We need sexualised men too. I say it seriously, if you think I’m joking. SADLY, only sexualisation men can get is nakedness and god-awful ripped body with hair, chin shaved three days ago, and voice as if racoon died somewhere in character’s throat. We need smooth, clean, likeable, women-like males in games. Why? Because women are superior when it comes to looks (and most other things too. Everything else can be off-loaded on robots soon enough). However, that superiority can’t be shown, because entire world was tainted by touch of numerous religions.

• Punning Pundit says:

Are you ok? Do you maybe need a hug or something? I’m a dude, so I wouldn’t be getting cooties on you.

• GWOP says:

“Sarah’s heels (which can help with movement, I think)”

Maybe the Terran grunts should all be equipped with heeled boots then, eh?

• Apocalypse says:

*hug*
            And no, the heels are not helping, they are simply stupid. If you lack the combat experience to notice it, then it is fine, but they are still just as stupid as breastplates which lead weapons directly to the heart.

Though I start to wonder if it is just the artists that want to create something to fap for themselves, which includes wired tyranide sex or if this is simply a valid way of the marketing department to bend over teenage boys and fuck them in the ass while stealing their pocket money.

Honestly, I really would like to see more sex in games and less sex sells marketing. It really is not the sex I have a problem with, it is the retardness attached to those cheap ‘artistic’ choices. Though speaking of retardness, more effective combat movements for game characters would be kind of nice too … not that I do not enjoy to burst into laughter from watching combat cutscenes, but it sometimes it really is counter-productive for the atmosphere of a game or movie. ;-)

• Punning Pundit says:

“Honestly, I really would like to see more sex in games and less sex sells marketing.”

Yes. This. I’m an adult. I can deal with actual sexiness, in fact I enjoy it. But if a video game wants to put sex on a battlefield, they should be making some sort of “love not war” point, not “tits are fun”. Both of these messages are a tiny bit banal, but at least the former treats the players and the characters with a modicum of respect.

• Cinek says:

one-sided sexualization” – you see what you want to see, but that’s as far from truth as possible. Men in their games have been pushing “macho” stereotype to the extreme.

• felis says:

To be fair, ghosts seem to generally follow the spray-paint doctrine. link to vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net

• Punning Pundit says:

+1!
      Also: the story of Nova on a quest to steal full-coverage pants from a group of rebels would treat the lore of StarCraft with all the gravitas that it deserves.

• cirdanx says:

I wouldn´t mind seeing more of it, but thats as likely as your…”idea”. ;)

• RealityJones says:

Lighten up, Francis.

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

Please please please please please please please be a Rexxar-style RPG campaign please please please please please please.

5. that_guy_strife says:

As I sometimes exclaim after single handedly wiping the enemy team in HotS: Novaaaaaa !!!

Nova isn’t exactly remembered from SC2 but from that cancelled SC shooter in which she was supposed to star, I believe they mean.

• JFS says:

Yeah, StarCraft Ghost or something? Was she even in SC2? I don’t remember her. So much for memorable. Or maybe she is if you’re into cyberbabes…

• Xocrates says:

She shows up for one mission in WoL, and as far as I recall had a quick cameo in HotS. She wasn’t exactly an important or memorable part of those games.

• mouton says:

haha, after playing for a while Nova is never a problem. I am actually happy to see her, easy squishy target.

6. Bull0 says:

The trailer says Spring 2016 but also says June 2016 in the fine print. June is definitely summer.

• Punning Pundit says:

I hate being that guy, but…
      The (Northern Hemisphere) Summer Solstice is 20 June 2016. So as long as it comes out in the first 2.5 weeks of June, both timings could be accurate.

Also, I mean, yes: I’m reduced to literally staring at the sun to figure out a Blizzard release date.

• Bull0 says:

I thought the summer solstice marked the middle of summer.

• Bull0 says:

Or at least, that it happens during summer rather than being the beginning of it.

• Xocrates says:

I’ve come to realize it depends on where you’re from.

But generally speaking, the summer solstice is the official start of summer.

• Xocrates says:

Decided to look it up, and by god it’s a mess o_O

Essentially, from an astronomical point of view the equinoxes are considered the middle of the season, but due to “seasonal lag” some places consider them the start of the season (including the US), while others use the “meteorological seasons” and start the summer at May 1 or June 1.

• Xocrates says:

Correction, apparently the US starts the summer on Memorial Day at the end of May.

7. Rich says:

Unless you’re one of those weirdos that goes by astrological seasons. You know, the ones who call 22nd December the start of winter, instead of the middle like a normal person. In which case summer starts on 20th June.

8. socrate says:

so basically they are bringing back the nova project they scrapped a gazillion year ago because most new gamer have no idea what that was and now instead of making it a true game(it was a kind of 3rd person shooter aimed at console and pc)they make it in SC2….i really hope its not something paid and more something like a free pack like the rexxar stuff which basically setup World of Warcraft…oh damn i really hope its not to setup Starcraft universe or another dumb MMO…blizz(or i should rather say activision at this point) have pretty much milked MMO for all their worth and pretty much killed the MMO fun for me at this point.

• Punning Pundit says:

I was describing that game to my wife a couple days ago, and in retrospect it seems like a Blizzard version of Halo.

I wonder how differently things would have gone had Blizzard eaten the niche that Halo filled- and done so with a female lead? Would we still have had WoW, or would some other company taken and extended EverQuest? Etc.

• BlueTemplar says:

I’d say neither of them. Not a top down 3rd person action game, neither a “plain” shooter, but more of a stealth shootee like a mix of Crysis, Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex and No One Lives Forever :
        link to m.youtube.com

9. Koozer says:

I’ve been waiting for this since the Gamecube.

• jezcentral says:

No word of a lie, I bought an Xbox for Starcraft Ghost, because GAME had it shipping in 3 weeks from that date. I bought other games at the time too, but I learnt a lesson that day.

10. EhexT says:

I love that their press release for post launch DLC spoils the story of the game that isn’t even out yet. They’re spoiling that, surprise surprise, nothing is going to happen in Legacy of the Void either and the Terran Empire will still do the same thing they’ve had it do since the end of Starcraft 1s Terran campaign. Status Quo maintained, can’t risk killing off the franchise by doing something interesting with it.

• Muffintop says:

We don’t know what has happened the major characters, the Protoss, or the Zerg. All the DLC reveals is the Terrans are still around. Hardly spoilerific, unless you were silly enough to seriously believe there was a chance the good guys wouldn’t win.

• EhexT says:

In no universe is the Terran Empire the “good guys” – not even Blizzard thinks that seeing as how the entire SC2-1 campaign was trying to topple it.

11. cirdanx says:

But…is it free or paid DLC? I guess the later, still curious.

12. EvaUnit02 says:

If they think that rip offs of the old Tanya/commando missions from C&C are valid substitutes for the cancelled stealth game Ghost then they’re living in the clouds.

• Apocalypse says:

It is Activision, the same guys who reduced their wow cash cow to a 1/3 of the income it used to generate by cutting costs far too early and alienating some larger parts of the player base from the game with massively reducing the cost. And this went so far they launched a official placeholder expansion which cost them literally more than half of their subscribers, but was most likely dirt cheap to produce.

I think they are exactly that kind of delusional to assume anyone cares about those really bad, heavily scripted and boring missions.

Now that awesome Rexxar Campaign at the other hand… now that was quality content.

13. Ugubriat says:

They really didn’t think of putting detectors in the facility where they handle ghosts?

Also, this “Spring 2016” shit pisses me off. The Southern Hemisphere plays games too, you insular cretins.

14. BlueTemplar says: