Wasteland Chic: The Clothing Of Fallout 4

Above: The Murderettes

I briefly mention how much I dug Fallout 4‘s colourful, playful clothing options in my review, but given that my hard drive is full of screenshots of that stuff, it seems a waste not to give it its own post. The costumes are, as far as I’m concerned, Fallout 4 [official site] at its absolute best. Take a look below.

The STALKER tribute act:

The So What Does That Actually Defend Against Anyway:

The Wanna Make Somethin’ Of It:

The Bateman:

The Gareth Ramsay

The Post-World Series:

The Admiral’s Day Off:

I really like the dresses, I must say.

Admittedly I think I’ve now plumbed all the best costume options from the game, but not bad going for 50 hours in.

gritz says:

Great work on those elbows, Bethesda!

Lars Westergren says:

“The So What Does That Actually Defend Against Anyway” Airsharks?

• Gap Gen says:

I was thinking swings from baseball bats and iron bars but your idea is much more entertaining.

• emotionengine says:

Damn, now that you’ve said it. I’m going to be devastated if there aren’t any airsharks in this game…

Please modders, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

3. GameCat says:

Actually these screenshots are doing much better job in selling new Fallout to me than any review.
    Fashion Souls Wasteland ftw.

Too bad it wouldn’t run well on my computer.

• Monggerel says:

Knowing the mod community, someone’s gonna want someone dead.

Also, someone else will hack together a mod that will let the game run on your grandfater’s favourite rotary tiller.

4. Artiforg says:

Gareth Ramsey?

5. Themadcow says:

In B4 RPS game-of-the-month banner.

6. geldonyetich says:

How am I supposed to get excited about power armor when Bethesda offers me the option of sparkly tranny dresses?

• RedViv says:

Word choice please.

• geldonyetich says:

Sorry, I suppose the word carries varied levels of offense depending on world context. I’ll just say I mean it in the least derogatory manner possible and hope that translates.

• Paul B says:

On the other hand, does this mean cross-dressing is allowed in Fallout 4? The last I recall a game letting me do this was in Ultima VII, where I enjoyed dressing my avatar in dress & stockings.

• Paul B says:

To answer my own question, as it has nothing to do with this comment thread (apologies), it looks like that’s a man in a dress in the headline picture, not a woman, as I originally thought. Also, the Fallout 4 E3 trailer pretty much confirmed cross-dressing is allowed for the player-character. So, thanks Bethesda for equal dress-up opportunities :)

alison says:

Saints Row IV. It has the most insane and fabulous clothing options i’ve ever seen in a video game. Not just your own costumes, but the ones the baddies wear too. It’s hilarious and perfect.

• RedViv says:

Not on me to take offence, but good to hear it was just a well-intentioned mishap.
          Alternate choice: Drag dresses. Works! Because it really is about men in women’s clothing, which is not what transwomen are. ^^

Grizzly says:

“transvestite” may be the word you are looking for.

• Monggerel says:

I remember Joel Goodwin (of Electron Dance) doing a longform analysis of Polymorphous Perversity (made by Nicolau Chaud), and lamenting his recurring use of the term “tranny” instead of “transvestite”.

That one turned out to be a simple misunderstanding; Chaud simply assumed that tranny was not a derogatory term. As did I until about half a year ago when I read the Electron Dance article and found out that I was mistaken.
            This is just to say that the Anglophone world’s propriety politics can be a confusing place to outsiders.

• Cederic says:

No. Being in drag is very different to cross-dressing.

The tranny communities I’m part of wont have an issue with sparkly tranny dresses.

• quiggy says:

That word is the equivalent to us trans people that f****t is to gay people or n****r to black people, and it’s often shouted at us as we’re murdered in the streets.

Please do not say it.

• Kitsunin says:

I understand that there’s likely a lot of pain associated with the term for a lot of people, but I think it’s just as important to understand how harmless it can be.

From an unfamiliar perspective, it really just sounds like a cute form of the acceptable word (and until now, I had thought “transvestite” was just as derogatory, which speaks to how confusing the area is (not so much the actual human aspect, but rather trying to be PC is often a nightmare)) and further, in some parts of the world the negative connotation doesn’t actually carry over.

Grizzly says:

@Kitsunen
            Unfortunately, understanding the latter does not shut out the former. Quiggy is not making any judgement of the people using it but simply asking not to use it, which is fair enough.

alison says:

Please don’t speak for all transpeople this way. Tranny is a funny word, and it lends itself perfectly to describing absurd cross-gender costume decisions in a video game.

For the record i happily refer to myself as a tranny, and would pick that term over any of the newfangled Tumblr-approved oddities. It might be generational, it might be cultural, but it’s been my identity for over 15 years, and it really irks me when people try to erase my identity and that of many of our peers of the 70s, 80s and 90s who are a lot less uptight about these things.

• Jediben says:

Excellent. I am glad we can attire the many radios which litter the wasteland in apparel of appropriate hues and reflectivity.

• laser-gods says:

Maybe we should all just agree to take the word in context before deciding to be offended or not, eh?

• LostInCarcosa says:

I literally (actual literal, not stupid literal) just joined to say that I’m pretty much abandoning the Nerdist community for RPS based on the response to this comment alone. I commented yesterday on an article talking about new Star Wars droid BB-8’s gender. Pointed out gender is different from sex, and got such responses as “are you offended you were born with the wrong parts” and “Fine, but I better be able to fuck it”.

This comment on RPS comes up, and not only do people voicing offense get heard, but even those voicing offense are gracious. God fucking forbid. Well done, RPS, community. You’re doing it right.

• oueddy says:

I commented on a YouTube video once, got told i was too young and stupid to understand. Serves me right for having an opinion.

Grizzly says:

It seems like Bethesda was a big fan of the Veronica character in New Vegas :D

(Also eagerly awaiting “The Endless Dress”)

8. Rumpelstiltskin says:

It’s telling that the first ‘diary’ post on F4 is about dressing up instead of murdering people in fun and exciting ways. And I’m not sure whether it’s a compliment.

• Monggerel says:

Read the WoT. Combat is still as shit as it’s ever been. GameBryo can barely keep itself from imploding when it has to draw something that isn’t static scenery, which is unsurprising because it’s been around for almost twenty years now. No wonder Bethesda can’t make it do a shooter.

That said, Fashion Souls > Shootbang Souls

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

Yeah, I did read WoT, so this article just confirmed it. And I read in other reviews that VATS is now just a slowdown (not a full stop), and how the game encourages you to play it as a pure shooter (by throwing lots trash mobs encounters at you), so there’s actually a good chance I’m not even giving it a try.

9. Xzi says:

“The There’s a Girl Works Down the Nuka Cola Shop Swears She’s Elvis”

Looks more like Rachel Maddow. Which is fine, because that chick is 10/10 hot would bang if not for the whole lezzie thing.

Excellent article, good to see a lot of variation in FO4 armors.

• MiniMatt says:

Is that a Sheryl Crow lyric ref? (my super power of 90s pop rock knowledge rarely gets an outing)

• Xzi says:

I have no idea. I wasn’t listening to any Sheryl Crow in the 90s.

• tatties says:

Kirsty MacColl

• Stone_Crow says:

And that whirring sound you can here is her spinning in her grave for being mistaken for Sheryl Crow. Jezus!

10. ZippyLemon says:

Is there a layering system in FO4 apparel? From the snippet of hype video I actually watched, the one part not completely expected was this aside by Todd Howard mentioning they had layers. Surprising because I once saw on the forums a very detailed technical breakdown of the engine constraints working in favour of fewer categories in Gamebryo clothing, hence fewer slots with each new instalment.

Or maybe it was a different game…

• Xzi says:

Yes, there is. You get a clothing layer (which is probably just one item together) and then left/right armor slots for arms and legs, head slot, torso slot.

11. PancakeWizard says:

Slightly poor taste putting ‘Wasteland’ in the article title isn’t it?

12. Michael Fogg says:

Maybe this is a bit offtopic here but I don’t want to have it buried under 100s of comments: I find it disturbing that RPS accepted the no disclosure terms regarding ‘story spoilers’. The weird internet obsession over supposed spoilers apparently made its way into corporate policy and now acts as a way to stifle free dicussion of a game. In reality you just can’t make a fully informative honest review of an RPG with 100s of lines of dialogue without making any reference to the story. Under the guise of protecting the devoted fans from getting ‘spoiled’ Bethsoft wants to evade scrutiny of that aspect of the game, specially so that historically it is often found to be lacking in their products.

• gi_ty says:

That is completely ridiculous. It’s not some corporate conspiracy, it’s standard for reviewers and critics of plot driven media to not ruin it by describing a breakdown in detail of the relevant plot points and their opinions of them. When was the last time you read a book review that spoiled the whole thing and dissected it, and then went on to read it? Even if your not spoiler averse anything you read prior to experiencing for yourself it will change your perception of it to a more critical view (far more likely to align your perception with what you have previously read).
      I’m sure there will be plenty of articles in the coming weeks that look at the games plot under a microscope. That is not what the majority of people are here for. The Wot I Think did cover the tone, merits and problems with the overall arc which is plenty to decide if its worth experiencing for yourself without also forcing preconceived notions on the reader.

• Xzi says:

Agreed with gi_ty, and I’d also add that it would be one thing to have a review discussing key story elements maybe a week or so after release, but it would be entirely another to release a spoiler-laden review a day before the game is even released. At least give people the CHANCE to experience it their way rather than have it skewed by a reviewer’s opinion.