Fallout 4 Fixes: How To Change FOV, Get Rid Of Mouse Acceleration, And Skip The Intro

Bethesda make big, divisive and generally extremely good games, but they really don’t seem to know what a PC are. While we’re certainly used to PC builds of their historically PC series coming out looking like they were sloughed off a console, hastily scraped off the floor, then dumped on a desktop, it still grates. It’s no surprise that the in-game graphics options are negligible, requiring multiple quits and restarts to tweak to satisfaction. It’s certainly no shock that the UI is blatantly designed to be viewed from a sofa, so madly huge and clumsy for us with our noses pressed to the monitor. But it’s pretty shoddy at this point that standard settings like FOV, particular widescreen settings, stuttery framerate limits, and switching off their perennially ghastly mouse acceleration, are hidden in .ini files. Fortunately the smart folks making Steam guides have it all figured out. I’ve explained a few of the fixes below.

Skip The Intro

I’ll start with intro skipping, since you’re going to want that gone if you’re testing any of the below. To get rid of that needless fizzing screen, head to the Steam directory where you installed the game (something like ‘X:\[your steam directory]\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Video’ where X is the hard drive on which you install Steam games). In there there’s a file you need to delete:

GameIntro_V3_B.bk2

Field Of View

FOV is the biggest issue for me. While I’m not generally one for fiddling with such sliders, playing Fallout 4 feels like I’m looking at everything through a toilet roll. Some hint of peripheral vision would be nice, and fortunately achievable if you’re willing to twiddle under the game’s bonnet.

To fix this, you’re going to need to adjust three different files. Firstly, find your Fallout4.ini file, which you should find inside ‘C:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\’

Open the file in Wordpad or your preferred text editor, and then scroll down to ‘[Display]’. You need to add a couple of lines:

fDefaultWorldFOV=XX
fDefault1stPersonFOV=YY

Replace XX and YY with your desired field of view setting for third and first person respectively. 90 is a fair bet, and where most games would have already had it.

Then thirdly, you need to head to the Steam directory where you installed the game, and into ‘steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4’. In there you’ll find another file called ‘Fallout4Prefs.ini’, and you add the same two lines under ‘[Display]’ yet again.

Save all those files, and it should all be set. Here’s a before and after. The man rudely moved, but you can see how much more is on screen.

Before:

After:

Mouse Acceleration

Getting rid of horrid mouse acceleration is in three steps as well. Start off with the Fallout4.ini file in My Games, and this time scroll down to “[Controls]”. Under there you need to add:

bMouseAcceleration=0

Second, the Fallout4Prefs.ini in the same folder, and under ‘[Display]’ add:

bForceIgnoreSmoothness=1

Then finally you need to find the game’s install folder for Steam, which will be something like ‘X:\[your steam directory]\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4’ where X is the hard drive on which you install Steam games. In there you’ll also find a Fallout4Prefs.ini, and you need to add the same line under ‘[Display]’.

bForceIgnoreSmoothness=1

The excellent post by Gabi also details a few more fixes and issues that you can address, so if you’re struggling with anything else, take a look.

1. Cinek says:

Jesus, why it’s not in a f*** settings menu?!

• Lars Westergren says:

Likely because more settings leads to more possible permutations, which means more to test & more that will break the game on certain hardware, which leads to angry support mails and downvote bombings on Metacritic.

• Cinek says:

Disabled mouse acceleration – breaking games since 1983.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I’ve been playing games forever so I’m afraid to ask … what does it do?
          Does it make mouse control tighter if you disable it?

• carewolf says:

No disabling mouse acceleration will make the mouse respond like a pointing devices like a mouse is, instead of like an analog directional device like a joystick is.

• Devan says:

@Chaoslord AJ

Here’s a simple way to understand mouse acceleration. With mouse acceleration turned OFF, moving your mouse X distance on the mouse pad will always move the cursor the Y distance on the screen, regardless of whether you move the mouse slowly or quickly.

With mouse acceleration turned ON, moving your mouse X distance quickly will move the cursor farther than if you had done it slowly.

A big reason to disable mouse acceleration is that it makes it nearly impossible to develop muscle memory for how far you need to move to get the cursor (or camera) where it needs to be. Instead, you have to rely on tracking the cursor with your eyes and correcting for over/undershooting your target.

In shooting games this is particularly important because you need to react to enemies appearing on the screen and get your sights on them ASAP. Without mouse acceleration you can develop a feel for this so you can acquire the target with a quick flick of the wrist and be much more accurate.
            If you’re just playing casually then you might not notice the difference, but it’s still better to play without acceleration because it hinders your ability to develop those quick, accurate mouse skills.

• Lars Westergren says:

I was more thinking FOV, but you would be surprised what seemingly innocuous changes can crash a system unless you test rigorously.

• colw00t says:

God, changing the FOV can break so many things. (This is serious, it really can completely crash a renderer.)

• Dread Quixadhal says:

I really can’t understand why, after Fallout 3, every game they’ve put out hasn’t had mouse acceleration DISABLED by default. Nobody likes it, and it makes their menu system unusable on pretty much every desktop.

If they don’t want to “confuse” [stupid] users by adding too many config options… fine. But change the default so it’s disabled by default and make the 0.01% of people who actually like it go edit 14 .ini files to turn it back on. :)

• demicanadian says:

Don’t you remember from Titanfall interview? Players on PC want mouse accelerator. This feature was added especially for them.

• Xzi says:

No they don’t. It’s the first thing everybody asks how to disable in Bethesda games when they’re released. Just give us the bloody option and it wouldn’t be an issue.

• Holderist says:

That was sarcasm, no need to worry. I know this because I am also Canadian.

• Stevostin says:

Because the amount of ppl actually caring for this and not being able to edit it is pretty tiny.

IMO the fact that it’s an easy .ini tweak tells how much Bethesda actually now PC crowd. Tweaking .ini (and all that kind of jazz) is actually the point of PC vs Console, after all.

2. Jericho says:

Oh! Thanks for the heads up on all of this, John! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I spent a couple of hours on the game last night and the mouse acceleration was driving me bonkers!

3. Rizlar says:

Thanks for that, goddamn mouth acceleration.

Also this ridiculousness: link to youtube.com

• Rizlar says:

Mouse, obviously. >.<

• Cinek says:

Oh… wow… I mean… WOW… my gosh… it’s like… over a decade ago I was learning how to do some basic games in Macromedia Flash – and one of the first things I learnt was that you never, ever tie your gameplay speed to the framerate.

Why this game is so… broken?

• Sam says:

As going from 60fps to 120fps increases the speed but doesn’t get close to doubling it, they have at least not done the totally naive thing of assuming that a frame is a fixed length of time. (I think the PC port of some recent Need for Speed game did that, where it would just run in a hilarious fastforward mode if you unlock the display framerate.)

I’d guess they’re updating physics state every display frame by feeding in a variable delta-t value. In theory that would mean the physics/game state updates correctly, but that theory very rarely holds true because of the piles of approximations used in basically every realtime physics system. Not to mention floating point errors, on which absolutely anything can be safely blamed.

• colw00t says:

Given the frankly enormous number of things that they’re using the physics engine for (far, far more than your typical game) I am inclined to think that there may be very sound technical reasons for refreshing on a delta-t basis as opposed to a frame-timestamp one. While separating their paths so physics frames and display frames can be handled separately would be ideal, it may not be practicable for any number of perfectly sound reasons.

• Holderist says:

That’s probably the thing. If you unlocked the framerate for Skyrim the physics would go nuts.

Phasma Felis says:

Congratulations, you are the first and only Flash developer to ever figure out that you shouldn’t tie gameplay speed to framerate.

• PeopleLikeFrank says:

Mouth acceleration sounds like something you’d have to fix in a just-released Bethesda game anyway, tbh.

• geldonyetich says:

this ridiculousness

Does there actually exist engines where frame rate does not increase when there’s less polygons to calculate not needing to render behind what you’re looking at?

• Ksempac says:

You don’t get what the video is showing you.

The video is showing you that the physics simulation is affected by the current FPS (which is displayed on the top left corner). Objects are moving faster, and crowbar swings are faster when the FPS rise.

Which is definitely not something you went when coding a game that is supposed to run at 30 FPS on console, and 100+ FPS on powerful PCs.
        If this was a competitive game, that would mean a player would get an advantage just by having a better computer (for example, faster melee hits, or faster bullets). Definitely not something you want.

It probably happened because one or more coders used frames as a unit (usually of time) for some calculation, which is wrong since “a frame” can have varying lengths depending on the current FPS.

Oh, as an aside, it’s totally possible for coders to cap their game FPS at whatever fixed value they want. It’s usually not done as “give me all the FPS i can squeeze out of my machine” is usually considered better, but some games are indeed caped. For example, it’s a common trick when a team know that their game is poorly optimized and may stutter or fail above a certain threshold.

• colw00t says:

Controlling the framerate can also be necessary for some styles of physics simulation to work properly.

• Ross Angus says:

Does this mean that in ten years time, the game will be unplayable, on modern hardware?

• Janichsan says:

You’ll probably be able to find a good CPU throttle. Just like in good old DOS days…

• fish99 says:

That might explain an amusing glitch I had when entering the vault, the skirts on several women were trying to ‘take off’ Marylin Monroe-style.

4. Cyroch says:

I am actually starting to wonder: Is there anyone who actually likes mouse acceleration? So many games seem to have it on as a default, sometimes, as is the case here, not even with the option to turn it off.
    I would really like to know if there’s someone out there who likes it and if so, why?

• GallonOfAlan says:

Cretins. Cretins like it.

• colw00t says:

Well I guess I have some sort of thyroid problem, because unless it’s really aggressive I seldom notice mouse accel.

• tehfish says:

Amen to that.

I can imagine a tiny minority might like it, but to set it as default and exclude it from the in-game settings repeatedly game after game is truly bizarre…

• Derman says:

I don’t necessarily like it, but I don’t mind using it. I’ve never found it to be particularly annoying and I find playing without it a bit uncomfortable, mostly because I’m used to the acceleration. I’m an active player of Dota2 and I’m doing fine as far as I can tell.

Having the option to turn it off is obviously a thing they should have implemented, but defaulting it off would probably make my experience a lot more awkward.

• carewolf says:

Mouse acceleration, as long as it is constant and predictable, is not bad on desktop, it means you can make shorter movements, but it takes getting used to, and must ALWAYS be the same consistent function. In a game where the mouse is tied to something more physical like your view, it is generally just annoying, at least with a mouse, if you play with a trackpointer or trackpad, you might like it, but then that doesn’t really work well in the first place.

In other words, in strategy games and other games where you have an actual mouse cursor, acceleration should always be the same as the system/desktop default, in first-person games it should just be off.

• tehfish says:

On the desktop it can be fine.

Particularly on my Lenovo(IBM) laptop the trackpoint (mini-joystick on the keyboard) would be completely unusable.

It’s just games where i find it so annoying :)

• Abndn says:

It’s a setting that has been used successfully by some pro players of various first person shooters. Most stick with 1:1, but you can make a good case for accel when your sensitivity is so low that you’d normally need to move your mouse 50-100cm to turn 360 degrees (which is very common). With accel you can (in theory) be both precise and look around quickly.

It might be in games like FO4 to help the most casual of players, who often run a very high sensitivity. It might also just be a remnant of optimizing the game for gamepads, and lazy PC porting.

phuzz says:

I don’t really notice to be honest. Different games respond differently enough already so I tend to just get used to whatever the default is.

• NZLion says:

The one and only place/time I like mouse acceleration is on the desktop when using a trackpad. If I am using a physical mouse, it needs to be off.

• LegendaryTeeth says:

I prefer it having a bit of it. Having to do large movements all the time if your sensitivity is low is hard on the wrist, and if you turn the sensitivity way up it can make it impossible to do certain fine movements. I either go really high sensitivity (in game or with my mouse DPI) or a bit lower with some acceleration, depending on the game.

• Stevostin says:

I stopped to use it as of late because there simply wasn’t any in Survarirum which I played a lot. But I did use for most of my QIII and TF2 years. While not being the dominant option there were quite a few of us who found it was improving their competitiveness.

IMO mouse accel is good for sniping when you need a very accurate aim at the end of an “as fast as you can” move. It’s not good for CC encounter when you need a continuous move to keep on target.

5. gnodab says:

You wrote:
    “Bethesda make big, divisive and generally extremely good games, but they really don’t seem to know what a PC are

I can’t decide whether that is a typo or a pun…

DuncUK says:

Or an obscure reference to Chris Morris Blue Jam:

John Walker says:

Good work!

• thinkforaminute says:

Unfortunately, the FOV settings revert to default while playing. I’m still not sure what causes it but the current FOV settings are only a temporary fix.

• Horg says:

Change the Fallout4.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini to read only so the game wont over write your edit. That fixed has worked on every previous game with the same problem.

• Horg says:

Edit: change the folders back to read / write whenever you patch or bad things will happen.

• theapeofnaples says:

^

• gnodab says:

impressive!

only goes to show: it is always some obscure british in-joke.

phuzz says:

Every time you think you’ve just heard/read a Brit make an obvious error, it’s really us making an obscure joke.
          Honest guv ;)

6. stele says:

It looks like changing the FOV setting removes dogs from the game as well. That’s a weird bug. Is there a EnableDogs setting we should be looking for? I saw a dog in the commercial, and want to make sure I get to play with as many as possible.

• ran93r says:

I’m not entirely sure why that got missed from the guide, it’s a simple matter of adding the following lines to the FalloutPrefs.ini

fDogeHandler=1
      iMaxDogeWowResolution=2048

• stele says:

THANK YOU!
        Just for fun I set it to 4096 and WOW there are dogs EVERYWHERE. I went outside that first mine shaft and there were dogs literally falling from the sky! Overheated my GPU and crashed the game until I set it back to 2048. Now I have an entire pack of pugs following me around. They can take down a mutant in 5 seconds flat!

teije says:

I was expecting Venetian Renaissance-era rulers to be raining from the sky. Extremely misleading.

7. Horg says:

Over the years I think i’ve spent more time fiddling with prefs.ini than actually playing Bethesda games. I will not be buying Fallout 4 for this reason even when it goes on sale. Enough is enough, new engine or bust.

• Ross Angus says:

No, no no – editing ini files is part of the hacking minigame. Our poor console siblings have no such joy.

• fish99 says:

It takes 5 minutes to make the ini changes above, and I’ve never spent more than 5 minutes changing ini settings in any previous Bethesda game. Heck, I played Skyrim twice through with zero mods and the only thing I ever had to do was ‘fov 90’ in the console.

Missing out on an awesome game for something so tiny seems a little petty.

• Horg says:

The above fixes are hardly an exhaustive list of everything that is technically wrong with Fallout 4 on PC, just some of the more accessible fixes for glaring port problems (its the 5th Creation Engine game in a row to ship with these options missing or buried). I wouldn’t consider Fallout 4 up to a standard I would be happy with after only 5 minutes of tinkering with the .ini files.

• fish99 says:

And yet the vast majority of people were able to play and enjoy all those other Bethesda games you mention despite the issues they had. If you choose to set your standard that high, that’s your loss. All games have issues.

• snv says:

On the other hand the majority of people have very low standards, look at the prevalence of consoles.

The majority of people votes wrong every election.

Don’t listen to them.

• Stevostin says:

You seem to describe an issue with you rather than the game. I spend < 1 hour in F3 ini and played 500 hours. Same for FNV. Think is, I wanted to play the game. Do you ?

8. Enso says:

I just installed a fix called “Wasteland 2”. Now this game is awesome.

Troll awaaaaaaaay!

• Mario Figueiredo says:

I’m hearing great things of Wasteland 2 update. Great things indeed. It seems almost all the criticism was addressed. Totally going to get it.

That, and a few other launches in between, will give me all the time in the world until Bethesda, and modders especially, deal with this mess of a game. Then, only then, will I open my purse to this Fallout. Maybe.

I’ll help you against the trolls. Although, most likely they won’t get to us before getting stuck in the scenery.

• BloatedGuppy says:

As it happens I just finished a Wasteland 2 DC playthrough!

The DC does sand down some of the rough edges, but many of the fundamental design issues remain. Inexplicably (and sadly) the latter half of the game is still a bug fiesta, with a host of broken or poorly designed quests to wade through. Combat balance is still a mess, the voice acting is “charmingly amateurish” when it’s not downright lousy, and the attributes/leveling system is still one of the worst I’ve ever seen in an RPG.

Which isn’t to say it’s straight up misery from start to finish, there’s fun to be had. I’d say the DC turned an awful game into a mediocre one.

• Enso says:

Also I get really terrible frame lag when shadows are turned on.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Ugh! Bad news after bad news.

I’ll stick to Angband. Seems my days of gaming are coming to a close, anyways. Becoming less and less patient with this industry. Getting old and cranky.

• geisler says:

Trollception: Wastland 2 (DC), is just as bad as Fallout 4.

• Enso says:

Trollceptionception(aka taking it seriously): Wasteland 2 didn’t cost 100 million dollars to make break make

9. Mario Figueiredo says:

3 different locations to change the FOV. And the settings names aren’t even there, perhaps commented. I would have to know them somehow and add them.

Really, they only get away with this crap because of the games they make.

10. FabriciusRex says:

The head bobbing. I need to get rid of it. It get motion sickness and can’t play the game. QQ

Any ideas anyone?

11. Zanchito says:

The guide originally linked in the article also has fixes for 21:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios. It boggles the mind how poorly Bethesda deals with PC variety.

It also has fixes for the 30 FPS locked framerate (be sure to COMPLETELY read that section, as it has some side effects) and a very important recommendation to turn god rays to “low” or off, no matter your graphics card.

• Zenicetus says:

Yep, if you have a 4:3 screen it will go fullscreen at 800×600 and there’s no way to change it, unless you know about hacking the files from that Steam guide or elsewhere online. Good job, Bethesda!

phuzz says:

Do the current gen consoles not allow for TVs with different aspect ratios then?
      Come to think of it I’ve never seen one plugged into anything except a 720/1080 TV.

• colw00t says:

I’m pretty sure the PS4 and XBONE are both HDMI-only for video output, which means that they pretty much only need to support 16:9 or similar. HDMI can handle 4:3 just fine, but I’ll be shocked if someone finds a 4:3 TV for sale with HDMI 1.4 inputs.

• NZLion says:

As an owner of a 21:9 display it is becoming annoying that practically every game has broken FoV when on a display with anything other than 16:9 aspect. This really started grating on me once I learned that one solution is just to tie the FoV to the vertical resolution, rather than the horizontal.

In most recent Unreal Engine games for example, putting the following in the right place means that the FoV is correct regardless of aspect ratio: AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

A vertical FoV of about 60 feels good to me regardless of aspect ratio (~=100 horizontal FoV on a 16:9 display) This also solves all kinds of weirdness in menus.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I think this is supposed to be ‘Fallout4Prefs.ini’. The file you have mentioned is found in my New Vegas folder.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Uhhh… don’t know what I broke there. I hate this blockquote tag.

The quote should be:

“You then need to repeat the step, but this time in the FalloutPrefs.ini in the same directory.”

Above is the response.

13. aircool says:

It’s 2015 and still cross platform games forget about the FoV slider. Kinda important for PC games.

• Stevostin says:

They don’t “forget” it. They don’t want it. To art direction it would be like having a “hue” slider. It would invite breaking the experience they worked upon. And TBH, I do love my fisheye in Q3 but I think the example above is before(immersive, good) after (non immersive, awful). High fov means every detail gets smaller. It’s not a skill game, it’s a world game. Details matter (way) more than lateral perception. IMO it’s simply not a good idea to fiddle to much with FOV (apart from ppl with different screen ratio OC)

14. newguy2012 says:

It somehow managed to make my 670gtx go from 40 to 100°C in under 2 minutes. Its clean and other games work.

Just got my refund, but I only feel empty and sad :(

• Cyroch says:

It is time then to spend the money you got back from the refund on mountain dew and doritos. Those will replace the emptyness with a whole bunch of different feelings!

• fish99 says:

The fan is supposed to keep your card cool enough no matter the load, and there are definitely games that push cards harder than F4, like Witcher 3 for instance. Either you have poor airflow or there’s something wrong with your card or the drivers.

• tehfish says:

Regardless of what you running on your card, if it cannot handle a full GPU load without overheating you have a hardware problem.

• JFS says:

Yeah, of course. On the internet, it’s always the user’s fault.

• tehfish says:

I’m not blaming the user, i’m simply pointing out that if your PC cannot handle being fully loaded without overheating you have a hardware problem there.
          How well or badly optimised the game is is irrelevant to this fact.

• MadPen says:

100C is not overheated, for what it’s worth.

• geisler says:

Actually, it very much is. According to Nvidia link to geforce.co.uk , tjmax of a GTX 670 is 97 C°. The card will in fact begin to throttle even before that. When hitting these temperatures, you are not only dealing with overheating and even possible damage if the temperatures stay that high for prolonged periods, but you effectively lose substantial amounts of performance because the card underclocks itself for protection.

Make no mistake, Tjmax for most Nvidia cards today doesn’t even go above 90 C°, just stating this for future reference. This is overheating, do not let your cards get this hot unless you want some neat paperweights before long.

• fish99 says:

According to Nvidia the thermal limit for a 670 is 97C.

I tested Fallout 4 on my 970 with MSI afterburner and saw the same 74C max I see in every other demanding game, so it’s not the game. If everything is working right it shouldn’t be possible for a game to make your card overheat, the drivers should speed the fan up to keep it cool, but the fan needs to be working, the heatsink free of dust and the case needs good airflow, especially since GPUs don’t vent their own heat anymore.

15. ye-ole-PK says:

give this game a week and mod community will have this stuff wrapped up.

I am waiting for a hi-res texture pack .

• geisler says:

Yeah, those will surely help with the very smooth framerates people are experiencing on even high end systems in and around Diamond City.

• Tinotoin says:

Agreed, my new 980 Ti struggles with Diamond city, and the other place next to the factory – everywhere else is solid 120fps…

Still tho, higher res textures would still be nice :)

• TheAngriestHobo says:

You sound like Bethesda.

• Stevostin says:

Apparently everyone forgot that Bethesady was the one offering the for once nice High Res texture pack for PC on Skyrim. It’s amazing how the most PC committed AAA publisher (who inaugurated steam works already ?), with a PC history that includes the very first mouse controlled FPS (no, not Quake: Terminator Futur Shock. Surprise!) and huge PC sales etc is seen as PC ignorant by ppl here. It’s one think to know PC and another to make production decisions in a global “PC + Console” context. Is that so hard to understand?

16. int says:

“Did Tubbs do right?”

“You did beautifully Tubbs!”

17. BookWrangler says:

So I am able to change FOV by simply pressing tilde ( ~ ) and entering the command : FOV XX for whatever value you want. It doesn’t hold if you save or quite or possibly reload but it takes like 5 seconds.

Is there some reason to do it so thoroughly in the settings?

• Rossco Mac says:

I play using Steam controller in big picture mode on my TV so not ideal to type that in every time I start or reload. Much easier for me to do it once and never again. :)

• ButteringSundays says:

Why invest a small amount of time to avoid having to do something over and over and over again?

That’s a question you’re asking?

• anHorse says:

Because it’s much more time efficient over the lifespan of the game

I must’ve typed “fov 90” into skyrim a thousand times

• po says:

I remember having to add similar to a keybinding in one of the borderlands games, until they finally got round to fixing it properly.

18. xawesomecorex says:

I apologize for these slightly off topic questions, but I am currently having an argument on Facebook. Is the phrase “what a pc are” grammatically correct in British English? And if so, why do you use the singular particle “a” for a noun that is contextually plural?

• ButteringSundays says:

Of course they is, are he no clear?

• nicbizz says:

Thank you! I was constipated on the throne, and that was just the push I needed.

• fish99 says:

It’s wrong. The correct version would be ‘What PCs are’ (plural) and ‘What a PC is’ (singular).

19. Kraizk says:

Knowing Bethesda I wonder what all of these ‘unavailable’ settings are tied to. Like vsync and physics in skyrim….

20. fish99 says:

The game doesn’t have mouse acceleration AFAICT. You can test this by moving the mouse slowly over a distance, then moving it quickly back to it’s starting point and see if you’re back looking at the same thing. The mouse does feel laggy though, so it may have tripple buffering. I also noticed the fps is locked to 60 even with my refresh rate at 120 Hz.

21. JFS says:

Why do you buy and play it when it’s so grating?

22. po says:

What grates even more is that no end of reviewers will continue to overlook these issues, and be giving games like this 90%+ reviews, so the devs will continue to produce games that have them.

Me? I’d give them a full 20% off their review for pulling shit like this.

• unsane says:

Right now it’s hovering at 0% for me…
      Game crash on launch tends to make me PO’ed

• Mario Figueiredo says:

It’s New Games Journalism, man. Haven’t you heard? From our own Kieron Gillens. It’s all the rage! A cross between art, journalism and a blind eye to the readers.

It’s about the experience of the reviewer. Any technical quandaries, and any other careful analysis of a game merits or demerits gets only filtered out by his or her own eyes. Anything outside his or her experience isn’t worth investigating. Tech journalism in games? Gone. You aren’t being informed any more, you are being told. And a story at that. Extensive game analysis is passé. You want to be really informed of how a game is, you better cough up the money or wait for the best reviewers there are; the actual gamers posting on forums and elsewhere without being attached to business-oriented gaming websites running on ad money.

• anHorse says:

RPS has one too

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• anHorse says:

Oh and to add that poster isn’t necessarily wrong.

Sure a review is subjective (and it bloody well should be) the moment you assign a score to it the reviewer is assigning a measure of the game’s objective value.

If you’re going to provide a score, a measure to summarise the product and guide the buyer, then technical flaws have to factor in more than some reviews do.

If you want to compare and contrast the implementation of this in FO4 reviews then look at how The Guardian review praises fallout 4 but marks it down for bugs and general bethesda flaws whilst The Escapist review generally focuses on the flaws, bugs and lack of improvements from past games but then scores it highly because of the base experience of the game.

• colw00t says:

In your subjective review, the importance of a FOV slider is worth a full 20% of your subjective score.

In others, such as Alec, the presence or absence of an FOV slider affects his subjective score by a different amount, based on his feelings on the matter.

Someone else, probably someone in this thread, feels that the FOV slider could subjectively change the value of the entire game by up to 100%.

WHICH IS MORE VALID I WONDER

• geisler says:

I can smell the Doritos from here. Lack of a transparent way of adjusting FOV in an FPS game is an *objective* technical flaw. When the end user chooses to interpret that flaw as “i don’t care” it usually boils down to cognitive dissonance more than anything, or paid for Doritos and Dew in case of mainstream games journalism.

Maybe you should read up yourself on what FOV actually is and come to some empiric conclusion as to why it should be VERY important to have more than 70 FOV on a 16:9 (the most used format today) monitor.

Which “opinion” is more valid? One that is (in this case technically) more knowledgeable and based on critical thought.

• MadPen says:

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen user reviews be so much lower than the critics on a mainstream game on metacritic. 5.2 on the PC version? Damn.

• colw00t says:

You get these wild disparities all the time when a particularly vocal portion of the community gets angry about something. Modern Warfare 2 sold incredibly well for having something like a 3.1 fan rating, because a vocal subset of the community was pissed about the absence of dedicated servers.

Plus these days, a game can get its user ratings brigaded to hell and back for lots of things, like “features a girl” or “made by someone who had an opinion”

• Distec says:

I don’t know why that first scenario gets kicked around so often. I’d call it a myth, but even that would be giving it too much credibility.

23. Abndn says:

In what respects are Bethesda games extremely good? They make large, immersive worlds with bad characters, bad dialogue, bad storylines and main quests, bad voice-acting, bad combat, bad animations, bad itemization (progressively worse with each title), bad AI and a lot of glitches and bugs. As far as I can tell this new one has also introduced bad character progression.

They *are* good at building enormous and immersive worlds, and these games always make good platforms for modding, but what else is there? What do people see in these games?

• Baines says:

People see the name “Bethesda”.

• Raoul Duke says:

They are really fun?

• Hitchslapped says:

There isn’t anything to see. Bethesda basically makes the current equivalent of RPG Maker 2000

• Hidden_7 says:

They see that for the most part the only time games come out that do the things Bethesda games do well are when a Bethesda game comes out.

They’re almost a genre unto themselves now, and if other developers would step up and deliver the proficiency at what Bethesda does well that even approaches Bethesda titles, you’d probably see the things they don’t do so well get less of a pass.

But as it stands, the only time I ever really get a new game like this, that scratches that same itch, is when Bethesda releases one.

24. ChaseFace says:

It seems they’ve removed some sections in the .ini files. Can you guys double check this and update the information? This doesn’t seem right.

Screenshot of example:

link to gyazo.com

• fish99 says:

The top line in your shot says [Display], right under the File menu. It’s even highlighted :)

I’m guessing you hit search twice or something.

25. Zenicetus says:

Well here’s another fine bug related to Bethesda’s crappy PC screen resolution support:

Apparently, if you use the file hacks to select a resolution and aspect ratio that isn’t on the drop-down list (in my case 1600×1200), it breaks the ability to lockpick anything. I hear the noises of the pin rotating, but can’t see anything. Others are having this problem too, in the Steam forums.

So right now I’m just using the console command to unlock anything, until support for 4:3 ratio and more resolution options arrive. Which I’d rather not do. Good job, Bethesda!

• Zenicetus says:

Update: There is now a fix for the invisible lockpick if you’re using a custom screen resolution. Click the link in the article above for “excellent post by Gabi” on the Steam forums. I tried it and it works.

• Zenicetus says:

Another update: The HUD when you’re in power armor is completely borked if you’re using the file hack for a non-“official” resolution and aspect ratio like 1600×1200. When you get into power armor, the lower HUD is cut off at the left and right edges. And when you go to Pipboy in power armor it’s way too large.

Haven’t found a fix for that one yet, but I guess it’s not urgent since I don’t plan to use power armor much, if at all.

26. GrandSquid says:

When I try to change edit the documents in “C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Fallout4” it says that the documents are in ‘Read Only’ so I can’t edit them. I’ve tried making them not ‘Read Only’ but it won’t change, I click apply and then okay but it goes back to ‘Read Only’. Any help?

27. Hitchslapped says:

Is there also a fix for the 1999s textures in this game?

• geisler says:

The textures in this game are low resolution, but if you think they are as bad as 3D was in 1999, it makes me think ’99 was your birth year more than anything.

• Hitchslapped says:

There are actually plenty of textures that could’ve been in Q3 or CS without anyone noticing.

28. Raoul Duke says:

So, is there some hilarious meta thing I’m already supposed to know about, or do those people’s faces just look incredibly terrible?

• Zenicetus says:

The guy on the right is shown with some of the more silly settings you can do in the face generator for your main character (if you’re male) when the game starts.

The woman on the left though… well, that’s ‘yer basic Bethesda woodenface. I’m just ignoring it and diving in for the general atmosphere.

29. Sic says:

“Smells like cum”.

Honestly, I’m the only one that sees the resemblance?

30. tonicer says:

Aaaah such a nice game but consoles messed it up again. A PC only Fallout game wouldn’t have any of these problems. Damn those stupid consoles!

31. mrgwillickers says:

I really wanted to read this article but when the first sentence contains the phrase “what a PC are,” I cannot continue. Seriously subject verb agreement can occasionally be confusing, but even 3rd graders know a = is; many = are. The worst part is you could have chosen either one and been correct in this case. “They don’t what a PC is” and “They don’t know what PC are” both would have worked. The thing that kills me is someone got paid to write this article. Someone else might have even got paid to edit it. How can anyone consider their writing to be even close to a professional level when they haven’t even mastered English beyond an elementary school level. Hell, that’s practically kindergarten shit. Get your act together Rock, Paper Shotgun. You and your enitre staff should be ashamed of this. Seriously Txt speak is more intelligible than this. Get it together.