Metal Gear Solid V Adds More Guns and Gizmos

And... you say this is a pistol, yes?

Half-way through Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [official site], I had enough swanky guns and gear that most challenge was self-imposed as I toyed with weird strategies. So how come a new update has just added a load of new Grade 7 and 8 tech? Forward Operating Base invasions, innit. (Also, dang, they’re pretty cool.)

It’s interesting to see development shift focus now many will have moved on from singleplayer, trying to keep folks interested through multiplayer FOB invasions. We still haven’t even received the full multiplayer side, Metal Gear Online, on PC yet.

Today’s update has brought a few dozen new upgrades for weapons, gadgets, and base security devices. The new Grade 8 tranq pistol, for example, is crawling with scopes and cruft now, and can be slapped onto other guns as an underbarrel attachment so it’s easier to cover all your tactical needs with one loadout. You’ll also find upgraded security devices like cameras with attached guns and nastier drones.

These swanky items are clearly made for folks busy invading other players’ bases, not least of all because of their high costs – you’ll likely need a well-staffed FOB or two to even develop some, let alone use them regularly. While the campaign’s difficulty escalation slows, FOBs continue to scale fairly well as you’re always placed against players of a similar level. If you’re invading (and some of you say you are), you now have some new toys.

The new tier 8 tech is also ‘Online Development’ gear, meaning research will continue in real time even when you’re logged on (and can be sped up with that Mother Base Coin microtransaction currency, bleh). It’s a recognition of how the playerbase changes after release, once people stop playing in long stretches and are now more likely to be FOB invaders popping in every now and then for mischief.

Speaking of, if you want to get into FOB antics and stock your base up with better staff, one of TPP’s current events is offering loads of S and S+ staff as rewards for special online combat deployments. If you want to get 20 S-rank staff, for example, you can chuck 60 disposable A++ people at the deployment for a 100% success chance with 27% predicted losses, which comes out as a respectable upgrade.

As for Metal Gear Online, Konami did recently close the Kojima Productions Los Angeles studio, who worked on it, in their ongoing Kojima purge. However, Konami say MGO is still coming to PC, and it’s still being updated – a patch hit consoles today and they’ve recently added a load of goofy costumes.

Earl-Grey says:

I could hardly ever bring myself to bring anything above tier 4/5.
    Higher tier guns were far to expensive (not really, but I suffer from chronic frugality in games).
    All I ever needed was a tier 2 tranq-gun with a modified silencer, a low tier silenced tranq sniper rifle, some C4 and a cheapo assault rifle for when things got hairy.
    My only splurge came later when I started loading the Burkov with tranq-rounds, pew pew pew snore.

2. Oakreef says:

Making them online development is also probably also in response to people using mods and trainers to unlock the guns instantly for free instead of doing their bullshit grind and microtransactions.

3. Philopoemen says:

On a side note, Good Game (government funded game show here in Oz) ran a short news segment stating that Kojima Productions has been shut down, and MGO has been out(in?)-sourced to Konami in Japan, so I’m guessing that we may be waiting longer.

• Philopoemen says:

And teach me to read all the way to the end…damn you no Edit button…

4. popej says:

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get past the ‘tranquilise’ everything urge. I do realise this is just as much my failing as the game design.

I haven’t played it in about a month, in large part because of this.

• gabrielonuris says:

“Never has a game given you such a large arsenal but actively encouraged you not to use it.”

Oh I hate when that happens too (Hitman series, Dishonored).

5. Heliocentric says:

Need a high end FOB? I hope you have it properly insured, It’d be a shame if anything happened to it.

6. Prolar Bear says:

Warning, mild SPOILERS.

Apparently this update adds the possibility to…bring a certain someone back to base. You have to replay mission 11 seven times in order to do that.

Earl-Grey says:

Wait what? Are we talking about a certain someone someone who leaves and requires rescuing later on?

• Geebs says:

Are we talking about the character who S-ranked the Skulls battle at the airport on Extreme in about 2 minutes, without any input from me? Would be good, D-dog makes things too easy and D-walker is just kind of boring.

• Bobtree says:

Confirmed!

• int says:

That is goddamn good. I’ve been missing that person’s assets.

7. The Masta says:

As if there aren’t enough guns already

• yonsito says:

Yes, but these have slightly better range and marginally better accuracy, see?

8. Alien426 says:

Technically, the weapon in the picture would not be considered a pistol (in the USA). Since it has a shoulder stock, it is a short-barreled rifle.