Moooongooooaaal! Rocket League Mutators Now Live

Football with rocketcars, sure, that makes sense to me – it’s the natural evolution of ballsports, to come in our own future following an intermediate step of sports combining rollerskaters and motorbikers. But making the ball cubic? Making cars murder each other on contact? Now that is unlikely! But you can virtually indulge in this wild dream, as Rocket League [official site] developers Psyonix have added those and more as optional oddities through ‘mutators’ in an update last night.

These are small options that can change the game in silly ways, from low-gravity Moonball (which, again, seems inevitable) to carhockey (preposterous!).

To give examples of what folks can do with mutators, Psyonix have added a new ‘Mutator Mashup’ playlist you and your pals can roll around in, with these modes:

Beach Ball – A huge, slow, lightweight ball with a lot of bounce
Cubic – Cube shaped ball and recharging boost
Demolition – Demolish opponents on contact in a high gravity matchup
Moonball – Low gravity action with a whole lot of boost
Pinball – The ball is small, light, fast and bouncy… and a lot to handle
Time Warp – Slow down the action as you get close to the ball

Private matches get to fiddle with all these custom options:

Match Length – 5, 10, 20 Minutes, and Unlimited
Max Score – Unlimited, 1 Goal, 3 Goals, 5 Goals
Game Speed – Default, Slo-Mo, Time Warp
Ball Max Speed – Default, Slow, Fast, Super Fast
Ball Type – Default, Cube
Ball Weight – Default, Light, Heavy, Super Light
Ball Size- Default, Small, Large, Gigantic
Ball Bounciness- Default, Low, High, Super High
Boost Amount – Default, Unlimited, Recharge (Slow), Recharge (Fast), No Boost
Boost Strength – 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 10x
Gravity – Default, Low, High, Super High
Demolish – Default, Disabled, Friendly Fire, On Contact, On Contact (FF)
Respawn Time – 3 Seconds, 2 Seconds, 1 Second

Not bad, that! The update added, fixed, and changed a few other things too, so rocketheads should check the patch notes. Here’s a wee trailer showing off a few mutators:

Or, for a longer look, here are the devs playing with a few different mutators on a livestream last month:

1. AskForBarry says:

These are bigger news than Fallout 4 and LOTV combined.

2. Tololololo says:

You might edit the title of the article. xD

When I first read Moooongooooaaal! I immediately associated it with mongoloid and not the Moon. And since there’s another word in the title (mutators) it’s even more iffy.

Explanation. Down syndrome, a disorder caused by the mutation of the chromosome 21, has a derogatory term associated with it. This term is mongoloid.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I’m not going to change that. It’s an association few will draw, and is clearly not connected to anything I’m saying. Generously assuming you’re not trolling, thank you for the feedback all the same.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It was the first thing that came to mind for me…

• ButteringSundays says:

Yea that’s how I read it too, and I don’t think it’s fair to say few will read it that way (based on?), it’s the way you’ve formed it (clearly inadvertently). By using ‘gooooaaal’ you’re communicating clearly that you’re using word lengthening, so it just as naturally reads as ‘mon’, not ‘moon’. There’s no context that comes before it to make you think otherwise.

It’s a pretty mild misreading though, I don’t think you have to worry too much about angry, tear-stained letters.

• Rev3rze says:

I had to triple-take the title too actually. Just going to join the chorus for the sake of defending Tololololo’s good name (although with that name the association with troll is… right in the name..)

I genuinely thought you were making play on the words mongoloid and goal.

I think you’re being too harsh on Tolololo telling him you’re ‘generously’ taking his comment seriously, as if he’s some kind of hater spouting off rubbish. While in fact he explained himself well and in a kindly manner. And apparently, yes, a lot of people made this association. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying change it (don’t ever change, Alice). Just wanted to stick up for Tolololo on this one.

• noodlecake says:

I didn’t draw that association

• Edgewise says:

I did, but since I’m not oversensitive, I managed to avoid freaking out.

• Kruton says:

I also thought “Mongol” when I saw it, but my association is with Genghis Khan/the country, not the derogatory term…

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Also, I object to the use of the word “mutators”, which is too close to “mutant” and might be offensive to some X-Men. I also object to “live”, as it makes dead people feel excluded. And don’t even get me started on the thoughtless use of the word “now” – it’s not like time travellers’ perspectives on the space-time continuum have any validity, right?

• MisterFurious says:

So, she should change her article title because you have a problem with reading?

• rabbit says:

you should change your username because i have a problem with dysentery

3. Rymosrac says:

What’s with the apostrophes? Do people not remember what a mutator is?

4. alphagator says:

Psyonix seem to be great guys who have worked hard for years and deserve their day in the sun and they are clearly busting hump to make this game as good as it can be. Love Rocket League!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It should also be mentioned that this update fixes then turn radii for a few of the cars.

• Ondrej says:

There’s a link to the whole patch notes, where you can find exactly this. But not mentioned explicitly.