Star Wars: Battlefront’s Live Action Trailer Is Live

“If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine,” said Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars. Because he was then struck down so promptly afterwards, he never had a chance to explain the rest of the rules: “But if you don’t strike me down, I’ll vanish anyway and appear as a powerless ground troop in the midst of a war, and from then on only become more powerful depending on the collection of limited and randomly spawning powerups.”

There’s a Star Wars: Battlefront [official site] live action trailer now. Watch it below.

I’m torn between thinking this is a nice idea, as far as adverts go, and thinking that it basically suggests the game kidnaps people from their regular lives and traps them within a videogame about permanent war. I don’t know why Anna Kendrick is in it for example, but she seemed more powerful when she was making a sandwich than when she was suddenly cast into a grimdark battlefield in front of enormous approaching robots.

When Alec played the beta few weeks back, he was impressed by how much Battlefront looked and sounded like Star Wars, but less impressed by its running and gunning. It seems to me like a conflicted game, desperate to offer an approachable experience to Star Wars fans but attempting to do so within a genre – the multiplayer shooter – which is going to be overrun by people hoping for something more complex.

We’ll find out whether it can successfully balance these things or be tripped up like an AT-AT come its release on November 17th.

1. Themadcow says:

Wow, that Anna Kendrick moment was awkward eh?

• YogSo says:

The cringe is strong with this one.

• ribby says:

A butter knife is a poor lightsaber substitute anyway, it doesn’t even glow

• spaced says:

I’m fairly certain that was someone in a suit’s idea.

“We need someone young and hot who’s everywhere right now. Get that girl from the singing girls movies. No, not the fat one, are you nuts? The skinny one with that cup song that all the tweens annoy their parents with. We have to show the gamers how in touch we are with their culture with this ad, so let’s make sure to have a rooftop hipster party in there, and a couple of skateboarding guys because teens. And just for fun, let’s keep up the marketing practice of pretending that hot girls play video games (especially Star Wars games) and that they need to be marketed to with adverts like these. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get the world’s shittiest TIE fighter tattoo so when the Star Wars rapture comes I’ll be the coolest ghost-slave in Force-heaven or whatever the fuck. LET’S MAKE SOME FUCKIN’ MONEY PEOPLE!!!!”

• ZippyLemon says:

My girlfriend plays videogames… and she is cool and funny and intelligent and beautiful. And FRENCH.

You may not be attracted to the gamer girls you happen to have come across, but I assure you they are out there. Also (you may have heard) it is 2015, which means that not only are there hot girls who play games, but also any other type of category of person you care to mention!

Hooraaaaay for the present!

• ribby says:

I’ve only ever met one girl who was interested in videogames… I don’t think we’re quite there yet.

• headless97 says:

My girlfriend also plays videogames. She is also beautiful, intelligent, artistic, listens to rock and roll, and loves monster trucks. At my college, I find several girls in Digital Media, 3D modeling, MIDI, and other “nerdy” classes.

The point is that there are so many girls out there that will have common interests with you, even videogames. The sad thing is that so many guys verbally abuse and sexually harass women that want to be a part of these things, but are afraid to because of the hostility against them.

• Scelous says:

Uh huh. Every guy wants to think his girlfriend is beautiful. Yet the reality is usually pretty harsh.

I have been met with nothing but disdain from most women, young and old, when I mention that I’m a grown man who enjoys video games. And I think I can count the number of beautiful women who I have seen play video games without getting paid on one hand.

• mpOzelot says:

Thought I clicked on some sort of new Scott Pilgrim’s movie trailer for a moment…

2. DaveB says:

Man if ever I needed proof that the Star Wars music is hardwired into my brain’s pleasure centre this would be it – it’s a deeply “meh” trailer but when the main theme kicks in 1/2 way through I’m immediately wanting to play… :)

• Easy says:

That

• XxBrentos9xX says:

I have to sometimes remind myself this is NOT a LucasArts game and is instead an EA game, and realize how much I don’t want to play it. Maybe if I just watch the new movie instead I’ll be good for whenever they make a better game

• Dozer says:

But at the end they BUTCHER it to fit the end of the video. Monsters!

3. Orix says:

…that was a really odd advert.

I’d usually associate lots of people disappearing like that with some sort of depressing advert about cancer/heart disease/scurvy.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

I had to almost suppress a laugh when it seemed to condone screwing off. Like the guys in the office wait for the guy to leave (makes it seem like he’s their supervisor) before playing games, and the kids are like “yeah, screw playing sports, lets go sit in a room for Star Wars now”

4. Anthile says:

So, these people are dead, right? I mean, that’s precisely how Obi-Wan dies. I imagine it’s the remaining part of the population that goes to play video games in order to cope with the sudden demise of their loved ones.

• bit.bat says:

He doesn’t actually die, he just goes off to play an online shooter. He comes back in the new movies to go to the bathroom.

5. tomimt says:

“that it basically suggests the game kidnaps people from their regular lives and traps them within a videogame”

Isn’t that pretty much the modus operandi for all MMO’s?

6. VitalMoss says:

It would be a lot cooler if that was the kind of gameplay I should expect. However, it’s essentially battlefield, so any chances of that are ruined. R.I.P

RaveTurned says:

Oh hey, EA cast a lady celebrity as a gamer with the sole speaking role in their advert. That’s cool. :)

Oh, they’ve put her in a kitchen… and they’re showing her making a sandwich…

• Philopoemen says:

Pfft, we all know gamers don’t make sammiches – its all energy drinks and take away.

It’d be interesting to find out what Kendrick pocketed for that, given she’s more a icon of self-assured, intelligent and witty discourse than she is as a sex symbol for tweens. She seems more the type you’d invite to a dinner party than you’d scream at over Teamspeak.

• ribby says:

But irritating sarcasm aside, I do think that’s a very silly thing to say. Besides the fact that it seems like she’s making this for herself as a late night snack, you do realize that there’s nothing inherently sexist about girls being in kitchens? Or making sandwiches?

Yes I know there’s that irritating misogynistic ‘make me a sandwich’ “joke” that was all the rage a while ago as well as the ‘women should be in the kitchen thing’. But it’s the entitlement and the assumption of subservience that’s the issue there, not the individual elements of the “joke”. Even if the ad showed Anna Kendrick making the sandwich for someone else, even if they were *horrified gasp* male, (sorry, straying back into sarcasm territory) that on its own, still wouldn’t make it sexist.

Only if the person she was making it for was then sexist and ungrateful would it make it sexist. In fact, tell a lie, even that wouldn’t make it sexist. Only if he did that and then the ad seemed to be condoning/accepting this kind of behaviour or normalizing it, would it be sexist.

This is so far removed from sexism.

• Themadcow says:

I bet that’s not even her kitchen. I’d imagine Anna Kendrick’s kitchen is at least twice as big.

• ribby says:

How sexist. Everyone knows women don’t eat, therefore she must be making that sandwich for some kind of MAN!

• ribby says:

She’s got long hair too! How stereotypical

• Jediben says:

Never mind the hair, she still appears to have both her breasts! How misogynistic of EA to force her to keep them for purposes of sexy advertising.

8. Tei says:

I am Videogames Expert. This is how it works. It physically translate the body of the player to the game, while only a vestigial image is left in his place.

9. Turkey says:

Oh no! It’s the Star Wars rapture, and I’m left behind.

10. dorobo says:

The real world looks so much better and more interesting.. This just confirms how shitty this game is compared to RL :)

11. anHorse says:

Ian Videogames: Origins

12. IaIaFhtagn says:

Dear gods, that guy on the train looked terrified. Like the one atheist at a rapture party or something.

• PancakeWizard says:

I would be too if everyone got up as one and declared they were about to play Battlefront. I’d probably then get murdered because I shouted ‘Fuck EA!’.

• Dozer says:

I’d LOVE to be able to make all the passengers on my train dematerialise.

13. Troika says:

That’s a lot of naked people to materialize somewhere.

• ribby says:

Ah, but as we saw, they appear in their star wars clothes. Which leads me to wonder what it would look like if we saw the other side of this ad. That is, are there a bunch of Rebel/Stormtrooper clothes lying around the battlefield which suddenly stand up, and move into position for people to materialize inside of them?

14. FoSmash says:

I mighti-chlorian felt that was really Forced from Kendrick. Although, the music did Grip me, I am truly Banthad by Origin. I guess this one didn’t stay on target for me.

• Holderist says:

They probably didn’t need to walker through the script, though. Also, all those people who abandoned work probably got leiad off.

Aerothorn says:

This is terrible.

There’s an idea here, but as Alice notes, it’s clearly that a lot of people are not joining voluntarily (see: musicians being forced to drop all their instruments on the stage in a way that makes me cringe). That’s really creepy.

And then they’re going to be extra bummed when they learn Battlefront is designed for pick-up play and prevents any meaningful communication or organization. Terrible game to be trapped in!

16. Dozer says:

So, to play, you must first remove all your clothes. Got it. No different to how I usually play then.

17. Raoul Duke says:

At what point will the gaming media stop referring to these as “live action trailers” and start referring to them as “ads”? And then stop giving these companies free publicity by playing these ads as “news”?

• davidelrizzo says:

Yeah, couldn’t agree more with that. The Fallout 4 one where live people were replacing CG ones in the in-game trailer was live-action. This is an ad. I wouldn’t have watched it if I knew it was an ad – ughh I can’t un-watch it!