Invisible, Inc. Contingency Plan Expansion Out Tomorrow

Invisible, Inc. [official site] is a turn-based stealth game about guiding variously equipped corporate agents through procedurally generated office buildings to hack computers, steal information, and get out again alive. It was our Game of the Month for June and is one of the best games of the year. And it has an expansion out tomorrow.

Contingency Plan adds four new agents to control, new weapons, items and augments, and more levels for the existing campaign and endless mode.

There’s a full list of the new features on the game’s site. It’s not world-shattering stuff, but it’s adding more diversity to a game whose underlying systems were already sound. I like the idea of lengthening the existing campaign with new mid-way missions, rather than continuing the story at the end, because of the way the game encourages re-plays to try different characters and is already kept fresh by the level generation. I’m also sure that players better than me will like that the endless mode will carry on to greater difficulty levels.

Invisible, Inc. has a smart, tightly-wound design that presents you with every piece of information you need to succeed, but it still produces moments of high-wire tension as you try to think your way past security forces, and cascading slapstick failure scenarios when you get caught. That makes the agents the most exciting addition. The existing roster of characters are great, but it’s their different abilities that often defines your approach to the stealth challenges you encounter. New characters means new approaches.

You can watch old man Quinns talk more about what makes Invisible, Inc. great in episode 3 of Cogwatch, our series examining individual mechanics in individual games:

1. amateurviking says:

Finally started playing this at the weekend. It is very very good. Any news on how much the expansion is going to cost?

• Henas says:

Comments under the news article on Steam report $4.99 USD. Given I’ve logged 45 hours on the game (only just beat Expert difficulty…amazing how big a difference it is having a tiny bit less cash and one turn less on KOs. I suppose the one rewind max is a killer too) this is something I will definitely purchase.

Will we get a WIT or is it too small and too inexpensive to cover?

For example, despite being Horace’s chosen, the DLCs for Endless Legend didn’t get WIT’d.

Lexx87 says:

I heard Cogwatch is going to Cool Ghosts now, shame for RPS but everyone should be watching Cool Ghosts too, it’s cool.

3. Horg says:

Invisible Inc was superb, but I always thought its biggest flaw was that the campaign ended just as (or just before) your team was starting to reach its peak, and there wasn’t any way to give yourself a few extra days without doing endless mode. So i’m looking forward to the mid campaign event that promises more time over any of the other features. I’ll try the new agents, but they are going to have to be something special to stop me falling back on the infallible Nika / Xu combo.

• Henas says:

You can run a custom difficulty to give yourself 5 days instead of 3 if you prefer, or run an endless mode without the punishing difficulty of the Expert options.

• Horg says:

I meant that 5 days was slightly too short for the campaign. 7 days would have been perfect I think, it would give you a few more attempts at the highest difficulty missions with an experienced team to roll the dice on some extra gear before the final mission.

4. klops says:

Invisible Inc. is a curious one for me. I should like it by the other games I like and be very interested, but for some reason the game doesn’t feel so interesting. I’ve never played it but it just feels… not interesting?

A demo would be nice.

• Smoof says:

I know what you mean. I love turn based strategy, but Invisible Inc hasn’t really appealed to me, I’ve picked it up, but only played about an hour and didn’t find anything that grabbed me about it. Though, I’ve been pretty lukewarm on all of Klei’s games so far.

Angstsmurf says:

I haven’t actually tried this myself, but doesn’t Steam refunds mean that any game can be tried for free for two hours?

5. jgf1123 says:

I hope there is a greater diversification of agent builds. A lot of the equipment and implants revolve around combat, so some more in other directions (movement, stealth, hacking, etc.) would be appreciated.

• Just Endless says:

I don’t agree with that at all?

Granted, my 25 hours happened in early access and maybe it has changed considerably, but going combat heavy is not even really a viable option. So much so that only the fourth character you get has noticeable firepower at all; my go to team was the two women (hacker and runner).

• Horg says:

Combat agents can be quite strong. Nika is a beast if you partner with Xu as he saves you a lot of power with his auto hack so she can go nuts with the volt stunner. With an armour pen aug, the +1 knock out time aug and the +6 ap after a knock out aug, she can keep half the guards in a level permanently unconscious. She also works well with the flurry gun if you are lucky enough to find one as she can fire it twice. Shalem is also quite useful as he starts with one of the best guns in the game and a +1 ranged ap aug, which means you only need to find one more +ap aug and he can kill every guard in the final mission if you fill his inventory with the cheap recharge packs. I’ve used Shalem and Nika together successfully buy gearing Nika for early game combat and Shalem to beat the final mission. Prioritising rescue missions to try and get a hacker on your team is helpful, and with two combat agents in your starting squad you are very likely to get one.

6. twaitsfan says:

Huh – same campaign with a diversion in the middle? I would much rather a prologue to Part 2(which I assume is coming based on the ending). I mean, I like that the campaign is longer, but an interlude doesn’t make me want to play it again really.

7. Scelous says:

I like Klei, but I never could get into this game. It makes a lethal route too impractical (one bullet?), and I like me some killing.