Steam Machine Launch Marked By Steam Sale

Oh, hello. Valve are running a Steam sale to celebrate the launch of Steam Machines, offering substantial discounts on games that work on SteamOS including 50% off Alien: Isolation, 40% off Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and 33% off Ark: Survival Evolved, and much more.

There’s 45 discounts on offer in total, including ridiculous bargains like XCOM: Enemy Unknown for £3.74 and bundles like both Metro games for £6.24. You can also get Fez for £1.39, Banner Saga for £3.74 and Roundabout, which I bet you missed when it was released earlier this year, for £2.74.

I’m not going to list the others, but these are good discounts. Of course, you might want to skip them and instead gamble on better offers appearing in a few days or weeks with Steam’s inevitable holiday sale kicks off. Those will likely come with some strange, barely comprehensible metagame however, whereas these are just good games for cheap.

I don’t know whether Steam Machines themselves are a good deal, but John and I both have Steam Links and Steam Controllers and both of us have experienced difficulties with those. We should have a proper review/verdict chat for you sometime in the near future.

1. iainl says:

Roundabout is brilliant. How can you not love a cross between Kuru Kuru Kururin and Crazy Taxi with cutscenes that look like they’re shot by enthusiastic amateurs on Super 8?

• KDR_11k says:

The videos I saw made the level design look much weaker than Kurukuru Kururin.

This reminds me that I still haven’t finished Kururin 2.

• SuddenSight says:

It is open world and honestly not that long (~3 hours for story, maybe 8 for all extras). There was more than enough level variety for me to play through the game twice. Some challenges can be “cheated” a bit, and a lot of segments come back to navigating through a line of cars at the correct speed, but I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing.

Aerothorn says:

It is a wonderful experience that only the truly cold of heart can fail to love.

Aerothorn says:

I am playing Alien: Isolation right now and pretty much entirely agree with Alec’s WIT, but it’s worth noting that it’s pretty regularly on sale for $12.50 rather than $25 these days (AAA price deprecation being what it is).

3. fco says:

in other steam news, they’re also adding more currencies. I just got an email telling me that, starting november 17, I wont be able to pay in dollars, instead I’ll have to use the local peso. The same is happening in other countries as well.

should I be worried?

• Coops07 says:

No, when they switched over to support CAD on Steam it ended up being a good thing (for the most part) as it eliminates any currency conversion when paying for games – ‘you pay what you see’ – good thing imo
      one caveat, however, certain publishers charge more/less for their games in certain regions

DelrueOfDetroit says:

For the most part the price you pay is identical to what you would have paid after exchange anyway, often slightly cheaper. If you ever run into the rare instance where a game’s price is cheaper if you buy in US dollars you can just use a Steam retailer like Humble Bundle or Green Man Gaming to get the better price.

• Kitsunin says:

I got switched over to Taiwan dollars, and things usually cost slightly less, perhaps because the exchange rate to US dollars isn’t great right now. Occasionally it’s even better though, like Vermintide is almost 30% cheaper than in the US.

Which led me to buy it and realize I can’t matchmake into games which aren’t laggy as hell, which I figured wouldn’t be a problem because I’ve been seeing a lot of ads for the game targeted to my Taiwan IP. Dammit.

4. kalirion says:

Bioshock Infinite Season Pass is 75% off for the first time in … ever? Great for those of us who got the base game for $1 with the golden joystick award promotion :)

• kalirion says:

Oops, my bad – seems that was yesterday’s sale only, and not a part of this larger one…

5. racccoon says:

F R A U D !!!
    Valve are the biggest blatant fraudsters out there today!!
    They state for their so called stolen/ripped coded console “over 1000+ Native Games” ….

YEAH STOLEN FROM THE PC!!

STEAM ARE NOTHING BUT THIEVES!!

Phasma Felis says:

Lolwhat

Harlander says:

Isn’t the Steam Machine just a compact PC though?

(I actually quite like the Tron-esque style of the Syber one, much to my shame.)

• Doogie2K says:

Pretty much, yeah. Spec PC, Linux-based OS, so in theory, any game developed for Linux should work. Plus, you can then stream non-Linux games off a Windows PC.

I’m also assuming the original comment is some thin parody of fan[gender]ish nonsense, but Poe’s Law and all that.

• rustybroomhandle says:

I think I just heard a whoosh as the joke flew over my head. Might have been a sparrow… is this a joke?

6. bonuswavepilot says:

Still no buying hardware for Australian folk it seems. (Probably a good idea to hold off on first generation hardware anyway, but it is galling to be shown the ads, but not actually get the ‘buy’ option). I saw some ambiguously informed honking in a forum that suggested it might relate to ongoing legal happenings with the ACCC.

7. Smurph says:

I think this is as cheap as Banner Saga has ever been. I wonder if that means a bigger drop is coming during the winter sale.

8. Doogie2K says:

Metro Redux for C$8.24 seems pretty okay, but also seems like a deal I can get at Christmas or literally any other time, and I’m already scared of my backlog.

I dunno, every year, I wonder if this is the year I finally run out of enthusiasm for the Steam sale and every year I’m surprised somehow. But last year, I had the renewed vigour from my GF’s first Steam sale. This year? Eh. It’s special for her, but less so for me. It may be more fun to gift her things once her money runs out than to buy things for myself. (Not that it super matters since we have Family Sharing, but that’s beside the point.)