Survival Mode & New Loot For Warhammer: Vermintide

“Left 4 Dead with ratmen” is how I summarised Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide [official site] when we first heard from it, though after reading Wot Adam Thinks I’d upgrade that to “Left 4 Dead with ratmen and persistent progression and loot.” If the last part of that is causing you grief, good news: free ‘DLC’ next month will bring new items and more control over getting which loot you want. Developers Fatshark say this is the star of their plan to alternate free and paid additions, and they’re working on a survival mode too.

Named Sigmar’s Blessing, that first freebie will arrive on December 3rd, and here’s what Fatshark say about it in today’s announcement:

“The free DLC will introduce a number of new features including player control of what loot is dropped in-game and a new altar in the Inn, that provides ways of sacrificing existing loot to improve players arsenal. In addition to this, the DLC will include completely new traits added to the loot tables and new, unique weapon drops in the ‘red’ loot class for each of the 40 weapon types in Vermintide. Each red weapon features a set trait combination, taking top tier gameplay to a new level.”

As for other future plans, they say:

“Fatshark is separately planning on adding a private mode, for players wanting an even bigger challenge as they face off against the Skaven alone! Realism mode is also on the way, removing the game HUD, crosshairs and more to create a truly immersive and authentic (and hardcore!) experience for particularly skilled Vermintide fans. Last but not least, Fatshark will be adding a survival mode to the game, allowing players to take on endless waves of ever-increasing enemies.”

They say the game’s sold over 300,000 copies now too, which is a lot of ratmen. I’ll have to get around to playing Vermintide, and not only because being unkind to endless waves of Skaven sounds like a petty, pointless, and yet satisfying attack against Kieron Gillen and his ideals. I don’t have a lot going on right now.

1. Prolar Bear says:

It seems to be a great game but be wary of really high CPU requirements.

• Srekel says:

While we are still working on optimization, the patch released today contained a good amount of fixes that should make the game run much better, especially on CPU bound systems. :)

• nimbulan says:

DirectX 12 support in games can’t come soon enough. I get severely CPU bottlenecked in just about every new game these days on high-end hardware.

2. derbefrier says:

I am glad they are tweaking the way loot works. i have about 30 or so hours in the game and there are still classes I haven’t gotten a single green or better drop for.

• Melonfodder says:

Playing as the class increases the chance you’ll get loot for them. In theory. Curse all those feckin’ swift bows!

But yeah, I too am happy about just a wee bit more control over what loot drops. Great game though, as long as you have a couple of friends to play it with.

Qazinsky says:

I agree that the randomness seems a little… suspect. I personally get three times more Wizard and Elf items than the other three classes combined, even though the loot should be weighted in favour of the class you’re playing at the moment (and I am obviously not playing those two classes). I get that random is random and that theoretically you can roll an infinite number of ones if a dice is truly random, but when the reality seems to be that everyone keeps rolling the same number over and over, maybe you should look into your RNG?

Qazinsky says:

I am not sure I’d call it ‘persistent progression’, the levels only seem to give items and not really change anything else. Good in a way, since even if the RNG gods hate you, you’re guaranteed som diversity in items from levelling (each level have a specific item, not random).

I am sure the level is a good excuse for kicking someone if you’re so inclined. “No, you can’t join us for Hard Horn of Magnus, you’re only level 25!”

4. Shaftburn says:

Maybe now i can get more than one perk that isn’t completely rubbish!

5. cpt_freakout says:

For some reason I was reading all the ‘ratmen’ as ‘ramen’.

6. socrate says:

wait?….paid additions?…i hope this is just misinformation because i clearly remember them saying there would be no microtransaction involved…hope payday 2 didn’t make gaming even more retarded as it is…lying to the face of the customer is now a common thing in video game at this point.

• Sian says:

Paid additions likely just means paid DLC, not microtransactions.

7. Molay says:

That’s odd, I clearly remember them saying there will be free and paid DLC down the line. They iterated quite a few times over the fact actually, as to not have people cry out in indignation when they then eventually release paid DLC. Dunno, you could be right, but I’m sure I’m right too.

• Molay says:

This was meant to be a reply to Socrate. This comment system hates me :(

8. taiyoctopus says:

Wait… Progression? What progression?

Sure you level up, but all a level up does is give you a piece of loot. I would hardly call that progression of any kind, I wonder why they even have character levels in the game… It’s completely redundant.