Ark Adds Giant Anglerfish And Friendly Penguins

Peel off my scalp, saw through my cranium, then shake the goop out into a video game, and you’ll either find yourself in either a cyberpunk girl gang up to no good or dark icy waters filled with friendly and frightful creatures. I’m now suspicious of the scab I found on the back of my head this morning, as Ark: Survival Evolved [official site] has dived into the latter with its latest Early Access update yesterday. Giant anglerfish and friendly penguins are the stuff my dreams are made of.

We can get to the inside of my head later, as the sandbox survive ’em up’s update added other things too. You’ll also find prettier fur on animals, a new siege catapult, a gatling gun turret, and a ‘Tribal Warfare’ system which I’m told “allows Tribes to formally declare war against each other for specific mutually agreed-upon timeframes, encouraging large-scale set player-vs-player confrontations rather than offline raiding!”

More importantly, those penguins are the extinct Kairuku Waitaki. You can tame ’em to have a friend, or I guess also beat them to death to rip useful blubber out their corpses. Be kind to them. As for the angler fish, the Melanocetus Anglerpescum is a honking great monster lurking in the depths, attracting prey with its bioluminescent lure. You can tame it and ride it, in theory. That’s the life I was made for, man: chilling in the depths with glowing monsters, occasionally surfacing through the ice to hang with friendly penguins. I miss the swimming pond I left back in London; it’ll be cooling nicely now, though the ice is still a while away. I don’t know how I ended up trapped on land, my skin stolen, but it’s not right.

ANYWAY. Check out the patch notes for more on changes and whatnot.

Developers Studio Wildcard plan to launch the full version of Ark in June 2016. If you want in now – and it does seem Ark’s development is far more active than most Early Access games – it’s 33% off until Monday, down to £15.34.

1. Hugo Stare says:

I`m so tempted by this game. I really am. Every time I see a new review, an update, or when it`s on sale, I think, YES, maybe now it`s time to dive in. Then, I read the latest user posts on the store page (yet again), and I`m seeing the same comments as before, servers full of cheats and no sign of that changing anytime soon. Seems like a case of good game, shame about some of the players.
    So no, not for me, not at the moment anyway. Pity, because it does look fun. I`d be interested to hear from anyone who`s been playing for a while, any sign of this improving?

• inthepit says:

my friends and i have our own private server. man this game is great. you are always going to find cheaters in games regardless. but dont let that stop you from having fun with it. i honestly feel like a little kid playing it amazed by all the dinos. it is a great game that me and my kids sit and play in amazement.

• ButteringSundays says:

I’ve watched a few lets plays and although I like the general theme, I just can’t get over how unimaginative the gameplay is.

You tame animals by abusing them, and spend the rest of your time hunting beautiful extinct creatures or FPS’ing. It’s a giant dinosaur sandbox reduced to gameplay you can find in Minecraft. Punching trees and jumping about like a mentalist.

Take the same engine and turn it into an exploring game where survival involves avoiding the giant killer dinosaurs, rather than trying to ride them with machine guns, and I’d be interested.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s clearly a large audience for this game and I don’t begrudge them their entertainment, but it’s just so bleugh.

• Bashmet says:

General rule of thumb for survival games such as Ark (though it shouldn’t really be lumped in with DayZ or Rust) is that you should always avoid the official servers. In fact, even a majority of the unofficial servers. Either rent one with some friends, or just play solo.

• ZedZed says:

I’ve been playing for a few months, and it’s good fun if you like building, exploring – the usual survival fare. However, i would strongly recommend you play on an unofficial server where the gathering, taming, and XP rates are increased. It’s great to have your own t-rex to ride around on …. but not so great that you have to spend hours and hours in game (on official servers) taming it (which is pretty dull).

I’ve played on 4 servers and only on 1 did raiding get out of hand. Generally I’ve found people friendly and do not operate a “kill on sight” policy. YMMV.

• tmm321 says:

This game is incredible. It’s one of the few games that’s everything you imagine it to be. Do yourself a favour and GET IT.

• dauw says:

Damn, I really want a game about a cyberpunk girl gang up to no good now.

2. gnodab says:

How did they manage to create non-adorable penguins?
    Maybe they wanted to match their appearance to their behavior:
    link to theguardian.com