All Klei Games Free To Play On Steam This Weekend

If you haven’t been paying attention to Klei Entertainment’s creations for the past few years, you’re missing out on some of the best games in the world. This year’s Invisible, Inc. [official site], recently expanded in fine style, might be the best turn-based game I’ve discovered since I joined the Chess Club all those years ago, and Mark of the Ninja is a completely different but almost equally brilliant rewrite of the stealth genre. All of the studio’s games are free to play on Steam this weekend, starting right now, with discounts should you wish to buy them after having a taste.

The two mentioned above are the essential Klei. I can’t shout loud enough about my love for Invisible, Inc.. Every time I play, I end up biting my knuckles and pacing around the room in between turns. It’s as tense as anything else I’ve ever played and, though randomised, manages to create superb scenarios that put most hand-crafted levels to shame. If you haven’t played it, that’s what your doing this weekend and there will be a pop quiz on Monday morning so don’t think you can spend your time listening to The Inkspots and tinkering with your toasters. I’ll find out.

Mark of the Ninja is obviously cut from the same cloth as Invisible, Inc., as the art style and footstep echolocation make clear. It’s a completely different garment though. Side-on stealth with a smattering of gadgets both low- and high-tech, and a brilliant method of communicating all essential information visually, without the need for UI clutter. That’s free to play and you can buy it for £2.19! That is a preposterous price to pay for something so beautiful.

Then there’s Don’t Starve, the weird survival game that I fell in love with at the time of release. I’ve only played the Shank games briefly and haven’t touched Eets Munchies at all. How many studios can claim two classics in their back catalogue though. And the exciting thing is, Klei seem to be making improvements from each game to the next.

The games are free to play until 1pm Pacific (that’s 9pm UK time), while sales will continue until Monday.

If you’re still reading this instead of playing Invisible, Inc. you are doing it wrong. All of it.

1. klops says:

Ohh! Just when I was complaining about the lack of a demo in Invicible Inc. Too bad GoG’s Invicible Inc. offer is on only 3 more hours.

• Rossco Mac says:

It’s on sale 50% off on Steam until 16th November so plenty time to try it out before buying like I’m doing! :)

• welverin says:

My suspicion is klops would rather have it DRM free.

• klops says:

DRM-free (and especially system where I don’t have to see or show others my played hours) is preferable, but mostly I buy games in Steam.

After three missions I really appreciate the game. It’s really something! But I’m not sure if I enjoy it enough. Perhaps the tension is too much. Then again this feels like a record that is challenging at first but turns to something I love for years. Perhaps I just need something less stressful now. Or differently stressful, since I’m playing Grimrock 2 now.

Maybe couple more missions…

2. Fredrik Sellevold says:

Invisible ink is absolutely worth buying. The only reason I haven’t played more of it my motherboard got alzheimers and had to be replaced. I need to pick it up again!

• lglethal says:

I first read your comment as your mother got alzheimers and needed to be replaced.

Cue me wanting to wish you strength for dealing with it, and then anger at your thoughtless comments. This was then followed by my thinking that this was perhaps your way of coping with it. This was then followed by me wondering if i had actually read your comment right.

So new lesson learnt, always reread a comment that upsets you, as 9 times out of 10 – you read it wrong.

Oh and commiserations on you motherboard! :P

3. Kitsunin says:

I think a lot of people would consider Shank a classic too. It’s a very lovely grindhouse themed beat-em-up, for anyone who might wonder. Well worth a dollar-fifty.

The sequel is probably a better game, but it’s not as charming. Still an incredibly easy recommendation for the price.

• welverin says:

Aye, Shank is quite fun.

• Jalan says:

I’m not of the mind to consider Shank a classic, but it is a competent beat ’em up (not quite a dying genre, but nowhere near the prominence it once was sadly). The one thing I absolutely love about it above all else though is its music.

4. LionsPhil says:

Alas, lunchbreak is over. :(

5. baozi says:

Tried Eets Munchies, Crypt of the NecroDancer, and Invisible, Inc. of the free weekend games yesterday evening. Eets Munchies would be more fun on mobile, I guess. Crypt of the NecroDancer is interesting, I think I’m gonna get it some time, but on GOG. Invisible, Inc…played the tutorial, but holy hell, I can’t get past these annoying »Warning! Beep Beep« sounds for when you’ve exhausted your actions. Is there a way to turn this off?

6. Banks says:

Awesome news! Some of the coolest games in years.

7. XxBrentos9xX says:

If someone at RPS reads my comment, please give Adam a hug for me. This is pretty amazing, I’ve wanted to try out Invisible INC. for a bit.

8. Amazon_warrior says:

Ok, I know what I’m doing this weekend. :) I really enjoyed Mark of the Ninja and have been looking for an excuse to take Invisible, Inc. for a spin. *flexes the old stealth muscles*

9. Leprikhan says:

Oof. I love Klei’s games, but what a lousy weekend to try to get some more exposure. The weekend after the new Fallout and StarCraft released? Not exactly the best timing.

On the other hand, some other commenters seem genuinely interested, so maybe I’m off base.

• trjp says:

Not everyone cares about Bethesda games – indeed some people actively dislike them enough not to care AND those who do can always play these whilst waiting for patches to fix Fallout ;0

10. SuicideKing says:

Mark of the Ninja is a fine game. I won’t be trying out invisible inc for now, have too many games.

• Shake Appeal says:

I promise you that whatever video games you’re playing this weekend, they’re not as good as Invisible, Inc.