Liftoff Brings Drone Racing To Early Access

Have you heard of first-person view drone racing? I hadn’t until very recently and it changed my opinion of drones. Not that I saw them as a bad thing previously per se, I just didn’t really care if online retailers got their requests for no fly zone permits in order to expediate delivery times granted or not; nor was I overly phased when once-famous singers injured themselves while pissing about with them. Quadcopter racing, on the other hand, is really cool and is an experience Liftoff [official site] hopes to translate into a video game. It’s just landed on Steam Early Access.

Here’s a short of the digital drones in action:

“Liftoff is to be a gateway to the quadcopter racing scene,” says Liftoff’s blurb, “a platform both for pilots with real-life experience and for gamers who are still unfamiliar with the new sport. Veterans can explore new environments or race one another, while newcomers can hone their flying skills before taking to the field.”

Developers LuGus Studios have already started tinkering with Liftoff’s features following player feedback. Down the line, they hope to add VR support – which a game like this is crying out for – as well as editing tools letting players customise their crafts and create their own tracks. Having spent about 15 minutes messing about in the skies myself, I couldn’t help but be reminded of early Wipeout games – solely down to the fact that Liftoff feels like unadulterated fun. While there are technical options to entertain, if you simply feel like taking a drone for a spin you can. Granted, there’s not a massive amount to do at this stage, but there’s scope here for Liftoff to develop into a great game.

Liftoff is out now on on Steam Early Access for £14.99. LuGus hope to properly launch it in early 2016.

1. crowleyhammer says:

Yeah that does look pretty cool, and that link video is great! Didnt even know this existed till today.

• shamus727 says:

im mindblown myself! i saw a video with “Charpu” last night and started digging in, no idea this was a thing, ordered my first cheap quad to learn on this morning.

2. Chaoslord AJ says:

I’m also not really into drones but the maker scene made cool things with them like tie-fighters and also they can be coupled with VR so it seems like you’re flying.
    The technology has a lot of entertainment to offer if they’re not getting banned that is.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

After the Battlefront video of speeder bikes on Endor, it’s a little underwhelming.

• jon_hill987 says:

Except you bounce of trees… If there is one way to make that look really shit is is bouncing off trees.

• shamus727 says:

you simply cant compare a game that is so simple to play and made by a multi billion dollar triple A with literally hundreds of people to a niche Simulator made by a small indie group.

Your point is pointless.

4. Rob Lang says:

I race drones and Liftoff isn’t very good. I much prefer FPV Freerider. It’s not pretty but you’ll find lots more drone racers playing it.

• Betelgeuze says:

Hi Rob, it got release 5 days ago and already got 2 updates. Did you try the latest version?

• shamus727 says:

Going to have to disagree with you here, picked up Liftoff today after many hours of freerider and i can definitely say ill be sticking with liftoff.

Phasma Felis says:

I’m not sure the faithfully-simulated shitty wireless video was really necessary. Simulators gonna simulate, I guess.

6. Enid Blyton says:

I’ve been flying RC planes and helis for 10 years, I’m just starting on FPV racing drones. It’s a good work in progress, I like the way they have the crap video interference, adds atmosphere. I’m going to link it up google cardboard and Trinus VR, Obviously when my wife isn’t in the room!

7. Raoul Duke says:

Don’t get games like this. Why not either play with actual drones, or simulate somethign much more exciting (a helicopter or jet or whatever)? Why simulate a hobby which is itself really just a simulation of something else?

• shamus727 says:

Same could be said for alot of video games out there, some people enjoy doing there hobby, or trying a new one in a video game world because its a hell of alot cheaper/easier.

I play because i cant be out there flying every single time i would like to. this is great for rainy/windy days, or when you just wanna do something super ridiculous that you wouldn’t necessarily do IRL.