Rollercoaster Tycoon World Stalls, Delayed To Next Year

It’s been a ride full of… (if I say “ups and downs” will you continuing reading, dear reader?) turbulence for Rollercoaster Tycoon World [official site]. Since it was first announced in 2014, it’s already been through three different developers and has long passed its original “early 2015” release window. It was then scheduled for a December 10th launch, however has now been pushed back to “early 2016”.

Atari made the decision following a recent closed beta, they explain in the announcement. They note the specific areas which face improvements, like better builder tools for coasters and fence, but the overall takeaway is: “To accommodate these improvements, and ensure that RollerCoaster Tycoon World will be the best, most innovative RCT experience to date, we will launch the game in early 2016. The new launch date will be communicated after the second preview.”

Another beta weekend is set to run in December. Atari insist they “now have a clear path” aheadĀ and with player feedback they’ll be able to “make RCTW the great game it is destined to be.” I’ve got everything crossed that this turns out to be the case.

Until “early 2016”, here’s another look at Rollercoaster Tycoon World’s latest trailer:

1. Unclepauly says:

As long as there is a button that will unbuckle seat belts in ride.. I will not be any type of interference with the money making its way to the destination.

2. AirRaid says:

RCTW? Return Castle to Wolfenstein.

3. Unclepauly says:

I coulda swore I saw Eric Bana’s little brother in there somewhere.

4. knight666 says:

For a good reason *why* it was delayed, I recommend watching this first look:

link to nerdcubed.co.uk

5. Laini says:

I was amazed at how bad it was. All they needed to do was make 3 again, it’s that simple.

The coaster designer was dreadful and very unintuative, the UI was ugly as sin, the framerate was non-existent.
    Sure this was a “Beta” weekend, but it was obvious that if the game was gonna ship on the 10th of December it’d be nowhere near ready.

I wanted to be optimistic about it but that beta weekend has put all thoughts like that to bed.
    It might not be god-awful but that’s literally the best we can hope for atm.

Parkitecht and Planet Coaster look promising at least.

• brucethemoose says:

And there’s always OpenRCT2 if you’re a fan of the first 2 games.

I’m glad others have stepped in to carry the RCT torch.

• Laini says:

Heh I like that the first few features of OpenRCT2 are “Slightly different menu screen options”.
        But I suppose that goes to show how nigh perfect that game is, what more really can they do to it?

• brucethemoose says:

Multiplayer, among other things. That already works in the latest stableish builds.

The harder-hitting features will supposedly come when they finish porting all the code, and aren’t limited by old save formats or old engine problems.

• brucethemoose says:

BTW, this is the right website:

link to openrct.net

Google brings you to an older website if you Google “OpenRCT2”.

• Laini says:

Ah, yeah I ended up on the old version.
            Online multiplayer is neat and definitely worth keeping an eye on to see what they plan for the future.

Thanks for the info.