What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Given all the big games (and massive, long games) that’ve come out over the past few weeks and months, you probably don’t need us as inspiration suggesting nice things to play this weekend. But maybe you care about us and what we do? Haha I know, right? But seriously, tell us what you’re playing this weekend.

Adam: I’m spoilt for choice this weekend. Top of the list is Invisible, Inc. (WHICH IS FREE TO PLAY RIGHT NOW) with its lovely new expansion pack. I loaded it up on Thursday night to have a ‘quick look’ and ended up losing four hours (and, eventually, all of my agents in one of the most anxiety-inducing missions I’ve ever experienced in any game, ever). It’s my favourite game since Crusader Kings II.

I might find time for Mordheim as well though. It’s almost ready for release and every feature I’ve been waiting for is in place – mainly the persistent warbands and campaign structure, which are likely to eat up an entire day if I indulge myself.

Alec: After a week spent doing almost nothing but playing Fallout 4, my brain is desperate for something opposite. Fallout’s a good time, but it is profoundly banal – I want to use the part of my grey matter that isn’t simply obsessed with looting and shooting. So I’ve got my eye on Cibele, the FMV-augmented interactive fiction about online relationships made by Nina Freeman from Fullbright. I’m a bit worried I may struggle to connect with it, as I have never even slightly lived a life like that – but I suspect that is exactly why I should play it.
Alice: I’m digging back through smaller games I’ve played over the year, as Award Season is night and my memory is awful when it comes to things I’ve played or otherwise done (except for bad things, which are remembered forever). Also playing The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, obvs. Cara and I were half-thinking about picking up Fallout 4 to play and stream together but ah, I feel I’ve read and seen so very much about the game that I don’t really fancy it right now. It’ll wait for me, and probably be in better shape after a few patches.
Graham: I had other tasks to attend to this week which means I haven’t yet found time to start on Fallout 4. I’m intending to do so this weekend, but I’m not sure whether I’m excited about it. It’s 50/50 as to whether I’ll get into it, or whether I’ll immediately tire of the now familiar Bethesda formula, or simply be overcome by unfortunate bugs as some others have. I’ll try to make it interesting for myself.
John: [What’s John up to? We may never know, unless you report your sightings. Many think they spotted him last weekend, but this from ‘Shiloh’ is such typical Johnning I’ll declare it confirmed: “I spotted John in Brighton yesterday – he was wandering along the sea shore, singing “Cockles and mussels, alive alive oh” and carrying a small wicker basket. Poor lamb, there was a cool breeze coming off the sea and he had naught but a thin shawl wrapped around his shoulders to keep out the chill.” Aye, that’ll be our John.]
Philippa: [Pip is on holiday. Pip has earned a holiday. Pip has earned a break from having to e-mail me, or indeed communicate with me in any way.]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. mikmanner says:

I’m playing Construct 2 and Unity. They’re both quite unique and frustrating puzzles. Also I want to complete Soma which I’ve been enjoying a great deal.

• GameCat says:

Those goddamn wheel colliders in Unity…

• geldonyetich says:

I’ve been trying to get motivated to play those Unity/GameMaker/Construct/Clickteam Fusion type emergent content games more, but it’s an awful lot of work because the developers can’t be bothered to finish my games themselves.

I find myself in the same boat as Alec here: Fallout 4 is good and all, but too much of that makes me want to do anything else. “I want to use the part of my grey matter that isn’t simply obsessed with looting and shooting” is spot on with the prevailing grey matter sentiment I am receiving.

Considering going back to Divinty: Original Sin some more.

2. GameCat says:

Sky Force Anniversary and New Vegas.

• Arglebarf says:

New Vegas here too. Coming back after a long absence, trying to remember all the strands of lore and soooooo close to the end of the main quest. The western theme appeals to me more than the east coast Fallouts, the story is actually pretty good, but damn, it is not a pretty game even with mods. What order to do the DLC in?

The reviews for 4 seem to my taste distincly meh, or at the least a repeat of 3, which I got bored with and had no regrets about abandoning. I’ll probably pick it up one day, but I’m not in any hurry.

• GameCat says:

“What order to do the DLC in?”

Dunno. It’s my second attempt and first one ended around lvl 8-10, because I couldn’t get rid off Legion killers who attacked me somewhere at wasteland and I eventually gave up.

• Cyrus says:

Also Vegas here.
        Getting back to finish it, once and for all.
        Speaking of DLC, I’ve played everyone of them save for Lonesome Dove, and my opinion is they are rubbish, totally.

• Noam Beefheart says:

I find it funny that you guys either think Fallout 4 is “meh” or won’t play it because of the few “meh” reviews. It’s FIVE years later and you’re just now deciding to finish New Vegas? Perhaps you should just stay away from the Wasteland since you can’t hack it. After all, it is an unforgiving place.

• horsemedic says:

FIVE years?? UNFORGIVABLE TARDINESS REPORT AT ONCE TO MY OFFICE

• goettel says:

Just deleted Fallout 4, installing New Vegas right now while waiting for my refund. Never finished NV. Now seems right time.

• Noam Beefheart says:

Fallout 4. I’ve already played all the others in the entire series twice already.

3. Horg says:

Mostly Invisible Inc. between watching the games of the DotA 2 Frankfurt Major. The new agent with the ability to power up from guard corpses is quite interesting. It gives the game a reason to pursue the lethal route more often, rather than just an ”oh shit” button, and he can get quite powerful quite quickly if you give him enough ammo packs and a better gun.

4. Geebs says:

Alien Isolation. Bought it because on sale and there was a Mac version. The Mac version doesn’t work.

Runs fine on Windows though.

Arnvidr says:

I’m away traveling until late Saturday, so not much, but I expect to do a few rounds of Dirt Rally on Sunday.

6. lowprices says:

Got a reasonably full weekend, but in the gaps I’ll be playing Dragon Age Inquisition, which I finally got running decently on my laptop, and Sorcery 2!, Alphabear, and Sproggiwood on the ol’ iThingy when I’m out and about.

7. Carra says:

Fallout 4. Step one: being very annoyed that I cannot rebind my keys. Ever heard of azerty or numpad players, Bethesda? Grmbl.

8. Azhrarn says:

I’ll probably be playing Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm. :) Haven’t caught up on the campaign yet, so I intend to finish that first before buying the final chapter in the series.
    And maybe a little Invisible Inc. I did just buy the expansion DLC, so I might as well give it a go while I’m at it.

• Czrly says:

+1 for Starcraft, although I’m actually playing the *original* Starcraft campaign. Why? Back in the day, Starcraft was something I played at LANs for more hours than I care to disclose but I never played the campaign… excepting the first few Terran missions. Now that Legacy of the Void is Out (TM) and Starcraft is “Done”, I feel it is time to play through all the campaigns from the very beginning, in order of publication… and then probably jump back on the ladder in LotV. Blizzard’s theatrics never really dissappoint and Starcraft 1 has aged remarkably well.

Is one ever really playing only one game? Hexcells Plus is occupying the Puzzle Game slot on my inventory screen, Shadowrun Returns is my RPG and FEZ is in the easy, fun, muck-abouts slot.

Oh dear… FEZ… a recent discovery of mine and too charming for words. I haven’t seen enough, yet, but it might just be one of my favourite games of all time.

• Josh W says:

Yeah Fez is great, I sort of barreled through it at speed and then suddenly found out there were puzzles everywhere that I had been skipping past, which was a little strange, as I suddenly started to pay attention to the map rather than firing around seeing where the edges of the world were. I sort of wish that there were no edges to the world, that it curved back on itself in big loops, which would have fitted the extradimensonal theme quite nicely, but I think there’s other things going on in the game that exclude that possibility.

Anyway, smell the roses, poke the statues is my advice. The traversal and exploration is really fun, but it does work to complement the more mysterious stuff if you do it.

9. Shooty Deluxe says:

After getting completely bored with Fallot 4, I’m currently replaying Fallout 2. It’s been a long time since and it’s SO much better.

• Philopoemen says:

If you’re not too far into it, and have played FO2 before, try Killap’s Restoration Mod – adds a few extra areas and quests that were cut from the original.

10. dangermouse76 says:

Fallout 4. Enjoying immensely but I am missing the speech check system from NV a little ( I preferred their approach ).

Anyone far enough into the game to give a no spoiler opinion on how speech and options are panning out for them ?
    Is the colour system working out for you ?

Can dogs in fact look up ?

• Humble_Beest says:

I left Dogmeat at the Red Rocket Truck Stop. After several quests I came back and he was on his hind legs, looking up at whatever it is virtual dogs look at.

So…. Yes.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Sadly it’s all about save scumming again, especially if you have “idiot savant” and you hope it’s boost will proc right when you turn a quest in.

Well that is probably a little extreme, but I’m certain someone is doing it.

11. atticus says:

Last week I bought a NVidia Shield TV and Bluetooth mouse & keyboard for the purpose of stream-gaming on my TV the couch from my PC. By some dark magic it actually worked, without a hitch, within 30 minutes of setup.

So this weekend me and my gf are playing Fallout 4, with me doing the shooting and looting, and her helping me via the Pip-Boy app for iPad. It works great for us, as she loves to watch me when I play, but now she’s also able to participate by reading the map and feeding me roasted radroaches if needed etc :) I wish more games could have these kinds of apps and the likes that can function as optional support. It’s really lots of fun!

12. dangermouse76 says:

On a side note. Any one here using a Raspberry Pi 2 as a media center/streaming devise ? Any good ?

• Arglebarf says:

I’ve been using a model B for a few years with RaspBMC and more recently, OSMC. As a media player: excellent. As a streamer, not so good.

In terms of playing media, it handles all the codecs I throw at it without any trouble. I love the (mostly) automatic download of cover art and movie/episode information. As a streamer, you’re better off with something that has dedicated apps from the sources you want to stream off of like a smart TV, Chromecast, Apple TV, or the like.

• dangermouse76 says:

Nice one thanks. Actually I will be using it as a media centre mainly. I want to plug it into my projector to free up the PC so I can game and my wife can watch movies,study, etc all at the same time. It’s also a bonus not to need to run a PC just to watch a movie.

13. banananas says:

After I’ve successfully erased SHODAN from Citadels systems yesterday, I’m going to delete her once again from the Von Braun, modded to the teeth! Yay!

14. melnificent says:

Fallout 4 the same as most people. Oh, and real life settlement builder (putting up some blinds).

15. dethtoll says:

Axiom Verge. Grabbed it when I noticed it was a few bucks off and it’s been well worth the purchase. It’s probably the closest we’ll ever get to a proper 2D Metroid sequel, and in many ways is even creepier.

• welverin says:

As if I didn’t already think I needed to pick that up.

It is rather disappointing Nintendo hasn’t ever released a DS or 3DS 2D Metroid, but then they don’t seem to particularly care about Metroid. I’ve read it’s not all that it’s not all that popular in Japan, unlike in the West, which might explain it.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I’m still chipping away at it myself. It’s a fantastic game.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Heard good things about it but missed it this sale also too much competition. Maybe Xmas.

16. screamingabdab says:

Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition, never got around to completing the original so going to knock this one on the head before taking a good long look at Mordheim.

• der_Zens0r says:

Me too. Hopefully this time, I´ll get to finish it. At Level 10, I changed my party (main tank got skilled for two-hand weapons because its so much cooler and I switched from an Archer to a second wizard with two wands). Are you also thinking that the wands are overpowered? I got two wands per wizard for every element and so I´m able to switch to the best one for each bigger fight.

• benjamin says:

Me three, 4 hour co-op session with a friend. It’s a great game, the fights make you think about strategy a lot. My personal favourite is the teleportation spell; it never gets old!

Jiblet says:

Hopefully something pretty on my shiny new Acer X34 monitor. If it works. If I can actually run it.

18. Stepout says:

Fallout 4 and Age of Wonders III. Power to the players.

particlese says:

I keep thinking about starting the main story campaign of ESO, but I do like how Dumbledore is still hanging out in the noob area, always raring for a chat about something or other. Probably something which explains the portentous portal thingies a bit more.

20. Kitsunin says:

I decided to do an arena run in Hearthstone, got 7 wins, and the entire game wound up hooking me pretty bad.

I’ve really hated it because of how awful constructed is when your collection sucks, but even that’s not quite so bad when you have an idea about what makes cards good. It’s disappointing not having the collection to make any decks with a focus on certain areas, as I loved to do in Magic, but hey, my all-around decks have gotten me to rank 18, so that’s something.

21. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Apotheon. I picked it up in the GOG sale and can’t stop playing. Why didn’t this game get more recognition? The aesthetics alone are wonderful, but the actual game is easy to control and fun to explore.

I saw John in a dark alley spray painting his teeth silver and yelling “WITNESS” to a large raccoon, which may or may not have been merely a stuffed animal. It also had an eye patch.

• welverin says:

I tried Apotheon on PS4 a bit, I didn’t like how it felt and didn’t get too far before giving up o it.

Maybe others felt the same.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

That was a fairly good game with pretty graphics. I played it half-way – it seems something got in the way then probably the Witcher 3 release.

• Creeping Death says:

I really disliked the controls in Apotheon. It all just felt a bit too floaty and loose. Which is a shame because the aesthetic is fantastic.

22. welverin says:

I will not be playing Fallout 4, because I want to finish MGS5 before I get wrapped up in that.

I will play some Evolve to participate in this weekends Sunny challenge.

23. FreeTom says:

Been giving Hotline Miami 2 a sound thrashing over the last few days, having bought it in the Steam Summer Sale and not really played it until this week.

Somehow, the level editor still hasn’t been patched in. They must have been working on that for almost as long as the game itself.

24. Noodlemonk says:

I’ve been maraton-watching the missus play Contractions for the past one and a half day now – and she’s probably only halfway through.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I hope everything goes smoothly. I’m guessing it’s your first?

• Noodlemonk says:

Thanks J – that’s very kind of you! Yes, this is our first.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

My wife was in active labor for 27 hours with our first, which I’ve heard is normal. At the time all I wanted was some sleep (which I know she wanted much more).

I hope your little one comes out soon and again I wish you both all the best!

• Noodlemonk says:

In case anyone was interested in knowing, the RPS-family just grew in number. We had a beautiful baby boy. His DPS ain’t up there yet, but with some gear and training, we’ll get there. One day at a time.

• sillythings says:

So I guess the two of you doing a blind run, huh?

…I’ll show myself out.

25. Chaoslord AJ says:

I’ll be fixing Fallout 4 to be playable. Then I got Reign of Giants DLC (Don’t Starve) for cheap and excellent backlog game Tales of Zestiria and Minecraft modpack Ferret Business and BoI Afterbirth competing while Crusaders of the Lost Idols is grinding monsters in the background.
    I “should” be playing Tinder but I’m out of my depth there.

26. ariston says:

Feeling a bit under the weather, and thus, Diablo 3 is just about right. Plus Witcher 3, although I’m always a bit daunted by its huge, gigantic , er, bigness.

• jonahcutter says:

The Witcher 3 is huge, and gigantic, and… uhm.. bigness.

But it also does small really well. It’s quite adept at telling little, self-contained, localized short stories. If you don’t feel like wrestling with its bigness, stick to the small hamlets and outposts. Run some contracts and side quests. And there’s tons of them, so you won’t fast run out of things to keep you busy.

It’s a great, epic game that shines in the small scale too.

27. Pierocha says:

Probably nothing much, as I feel devastated after the attacks in Paris. Not a single word about that on RPS ?

• Creeping Death says:

While it is a completely awful situation, I dont expect RPS to cover it at all. It’s not really the right place for it in my opinion.

Besides, it’s not like it isnt being reported in a million other places. Not like someone is going to miss it.

• sillythings says:

It’s awful and terrifying (especially the scale of it), but it’s ultimately just another one of many recent incidents. And that makes me feel powerless and weary with this world. I’m sick of feeling like there’s nothing to do but watch the same awful media spectacle play out again and again.

So I don’t know about you, but although the situation doesn’t exactly put me in an “aww yeah, let’s play games, life is good” type of mood, it’s probably better to do that and focus on something positive than simply give in to all that fear and despair.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Yeah situation is a big shit but it’s a gaming site here after all and it would be strange to open up or encourage a political discussion.
      Maybe a condolence without commenting would be right.

• Pierocha says:

This is exactly what I thought about, nothing more.
        And yet, my reaction is that of a French person… So many comparable tragedies elsewhere, every day…
        Maybe some Witcher 3, finally.

• Captain Narol says:

As another frenchman, I feel in the mood to exterminate some orcs in Shadow of Mordor, can be quite therapeutic…

But maybe after that I’ll go back to my usual CKII to try to fix the world by cunning politics and targetted eliminations instead, with some land invasion to finish the job…

Anyway, if we let terror take over our minds and prevent us to enjoy all the good things in life like our fav videogames, they win…

28. rahji says:

I want to finish Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It is the last case and there was a massive twist, so I am hooked right now. Today I just beat the new mega boss from BoI Afterbirth and I am quite statisfied.
    Later I will get Starcraft 2 LotV, because I am a long time SC2 fan and I want to experience the bad writing of the campaign.

• Humble_Beest says:

Definitely didn’t mean to make my whole post a link. Fail. Oh well…

29. christmas duck says:

I’m going for the Invisble Inc. free weekend, it’s outside of my usual genres so I’m glad they’re doing that.
    I’m interested in Cibele but it runs on the bang up to date version of my OS which is still in the dodgy post update period, so I’m going to wait a while before I jump into that one.

30. Ben King says:

I just finished “Mind: Path to Thalamus” which was seriously not good puzzle gaming in spite of a couple really interesting ideas. Mostly it boiled down to activating switches with weights to unlock doors in purposelessly VAST environments… but it was BEAUTIFUL- have you guys seen it? GORGEOUS, with some of the most insane video game skybox art I’ve ever seen.
    Aside from that Fallout:NV. 30 some hrs along and I am still getting so distracted by side quests I have not yet even met Mr House… I really wanted to get in on Fallout 4 early and enjoy the mod scene, but I’m getting deterred by the reviews of sub-par dialogue and my own mid-level pc specs.

• Captain Narol says:

Agreed, that game is really gorgeous but I falled off it after Level 2 because the puzzle were really not interesting…

Really a missed opportunity.

31. ansionnach says:

Golden Axe. Hadn’t played it in years so it took a few goes to get through it. Runs a lot faster today than it did on my 386 (possibly at the actual 70FPS that VGA allowed?) but it’s simple enough to calibrate it in DOSBox. PC version is the Mega Drive one with better graphics but less animation. After noticing an error on the HG101 article mixing up the PC and ST version, I’ve taken a look at some of the others. Other than some borders on the ST version and it being slower, it and the Amiga version are practically identical. I’ve no idea why the Amiga version is often celebrated. It’s pretty awful, with AI that barely matches the original. Jumping is slow and floaty and the one-button controls are terrible. Add to that, poor graphics (colours are way off) and disappointing music (not much more than a short version of the opening level music looping for the whole game). There’s important, gameplay-altering animation missing as well (e.g. no mounting animation) and a rate of fire that’s far too frequent. I think Amiga owners often confused their machine’s undeniable capabilities with the underwhelming results put out by teams porting games to their machine.

• Det. Bullock says:

I rediscovered it when I let my old Mega Drive out of the garage and started searching the internet for games to try other than the plethora of Disney platformers I had (they are awesome but I’m terrible at them), and it was a very nice surprise, I even managed to beat it on default settings (arcade mode with three health bars) which I think was the first time I beat a Mega Drive game.

• ansionnach says:

That’s good going! I always give myself five health bars in Golden Axe. Over four credits of three lives that’s twenty-four more health bars. When I finished the PC version yesterday I only had four of those left, although it does seem a lot easier to fall into holes pretty blamelessly in this version compared to the Mega Drive. I think the frame rate of the MD version must be 50/60 depending on the region. Feels so smooth. It’s a funny game in that there’s no undisputed best version. The MD version is missing some animations and has the graphics scaled down, but it’s an excellent conversion and has those extra levels. Once you master THAT pit jump in the extra bit, I don’t think there’s too much to moan about. That jump almost had me in tears as a kid – getting all the way there and throwing all the spare lives you saved up into it was crushing. Again, the PC version’s main flaw is that it seems easier to fall into pits.

Only had a PC back in the day but I have completed a number of MD games since then. Phantasy Star III and IV, Gunstar Heroes, probably all the Streets of Rages, Heart of the Alien and Sonic CD (on my phone!) were all memorable. A few I never finished but should revisit are: Monster World IV, Pocahontas, The Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi III and Alien Soldier. Pocahontas is a surprising gem of a puzzle platformer with superb graphics for a MD game. So many later MD games really impressed with their graphics and sound. Sonic 3, Shinobi III, Streets of Rage 3, Alien Soldier and Pocahontas all look great. Alien Soldier is an amazing game. As the guys at treasure succinctly put it:
        “VIRTUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK! NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!”

It’s been programmed about as well as the translation was bad. Couldn’t make any sense out of the plot. It must be about the worst (best?) example of Engrish there is. Far worse than Zero Wing, anyway.

32. Creeping Death says:

Finally beginning to dig into the Witcher 3 so I expect I’ll be wrapping that up by the time Blood and Wine comes out, which is convenient.

Besides that, I rarely go an evening without sticking my head in to GW2 for a few hours and any spare time will be spent wrapping up Persona 4 on the Vita.

I’m actually passing on Fallout 4 for now. I’ll probably pick it up when the GoTY comes out (or goes cheap). Everything I’ve seen of that game all just feels a bit too… familiar? It actually made me reinstall Fallout 3 and after experiencing the Bethesda jank anew it cemented my idea that I just dont need that game right now.

33. Det. Bullock says:

Trying to finish the last DLC of Dragon Age Origins, while the game is god on the whole there are a few things I don’t like.
    The tactical view is often useless when trying to cast long range spells, the gift/influence system is either very abusable (main campaign) or frustrating (awakening onward), also what is with this anti-mage thing?
    It seems that while the mage class it self is awesome the narrative seems to hate them, yes, mages are oppressed but more often than not it appears they deserve it.

Also I’ll reiterate that the sex scenes are utterly silly, they are neither sexy/smutty nor endearing, they feel tacked in just to say they are there.

• Det. Bullock says:

Damn lack of EDIT button: fortunately there seem to be no romances in Awakening and they are limited to the main campaign, but I really wonder who is the guy who saw THAT and thought it was agood idea to put that cutscenes in.

• Det. Bullock says:

And… I already finished it, surprisingly short, more akin to the Golems or arkhathing rather than Awakening and had a lot of recicled locations from both vanilla Origins and the other DLCs.
      Perhaps I’ll continue Shining in The Darkness on the Mega Drive, hoping I can remember where to go…

34. fish99 says:

Fallout 4. Hasn’t really grabbed me yet story wise and unfortunately I accidentally read a large malicious spoiler (on twitch) despite trying hard to avoid them.

Seems like they added a lot of new stuff into the game, and for most of it, it’s either not clear why it’s there or it’s clunky and poorly explained. For instance the crafting system removes some of the fun of looting, and it’s not clear why you’d ever develop more than one base. The real-time combat still isn’t great either.

Still getting into it though, just hit Diamond City and finally got rid of the suicidal dog.

• fish99 says:

Actually now I’m rid of the dog (which constantly gave away your position) I’ve run into what might be the biggest gameplay flaw, the way the game auto pulls you into dialogues. So you’re creeping around in a building and every time your companion happens to be in front of you the game takes over your mouse, prevents you from shooting and pulls you into a dialogue with them. That is such a poor piece of game design.

Seriously, does nobody bother with game testing anymore?

• Kitsunin says:

I think they tested it with gamepads, decided “hey, this seems okay” and then somehow completely ignored the issue otherwise. I’ve started playing with a gamepad and for some reason the way it snaps into a conversation is far less galling (it was horrible when I was using m+kb)

• Kitsunin says:

Actually I bet they never tested the game with a mouse at all, that might explain how it has smoothing by default, or why there was horrendous input delay, both totally fixable but only via the .ini files.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Also, idiot savant was tested to be profitable even with high intelligence, so with all these things combined you’ll have made an insane amount of experience.

I like that you can have only the utility perks and stats and you can still have combat capability simply because you can craft awesome gear as a result, rather than being all combat oriented but with fewer options.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

You develop more bases and then link them to specialize, every base wants basic resources but caravans still help. There’s a base in which you can have no food.

You’ll have big farms, big water treatment towns and big scrapyard ones ( you can do that too ).

At that point if everything is linked every leftover will be yours to keep, you’ll have hundreds of purified water and vegetable to craft so much glue that you’ll never need to buy shipments again.

Also I prefer to have all my shops in a single town that is not really working on much else, there will be more NPC spending of they’re not occupied, and that seems confirmed.

35. Zenicetus says:

I’m playing Fallout 4 for the environment design and setting (and not much else).

As a break from that, I might spend a little time in X-Plane practicing my helicopter handling. I’m still crap at landing on one of those tiny oil rig helo pads.

36. Synesthesia says:

There is only downwell.

37. Vacuity729 says:

I’m playing the Last Federation for the first time (after buying the new expansion) and finding it quite a lot of fun.

The complexity of the simulation seems pretty staggering, but I seem to be more involved in busywork moment to moment; trying to keep the Burlusts from invading any/everybody, and trying to stop the Acutians from steamrolling the whole solar system.

This really does seem to be very much a game of diplomacy first and foremost, which seems pretty unusual. Most games have diplomacy tacked onto the larger game.

38. caff says:

Fallout 4. Built my first house, with a toilet in the middle surrounded by chairs facing it. Yes, I know that’s a bit creepy.

39. Xantonze says:

Downwell. I’m on 4.1 right now. Awesome game in short bursts.
    I’m craving from something else in that “Spelunky” vibre (I know it’s quite different, but I get the same feeling of high tension exploration).

40. goettel says:

Just put in for a Fallout 4 refund from Steam, installing New Vegas right now. Any gaming gaps left this weekend will be filled with chain-running dungeons on my Wildstar medic.

41. sillythings says:

I’ve given Crypt of the Necrodancer a try due to the free weekend. It’s entertaining, but I’m horrible at keeping the beat. I found that tapping my foot helps but I’m still bad at it even then. And playing as Bard somehow didn’t feel quite right either.

Invisible, Inc. definitely has appealed to me much more. Though comparing it to XCOM (which is the closest thing I’ve played prior to it) I feel I’m lacking the sense of urgency that game had to it, here. And I guess the environments (so far) also feel pretty samey, even if the gameplay itself is definitely fun.

The Binding of Isaac has also been taken out for a spin here and there. So far the Afterbirth DLC hasn’t really done much for me, to be honest. That’s not to say I don’t really enjoy it. I love the Burning Basement music (the best in the game, really). I enjoy the new room shapes. I’ve encountered a few new bosses, and appreciated their newness. The one new item I encountered (infinity tears, or something) was fun. But the DLC did not pull me back into being obsessed with the game like I thought it would. It’s weird.

I’ll probably keep heading towards the ending in The Witcher 3 later today. I keep taking breaks from the game, and whenever I return I still manage to be amazed at just how truly gorgeous and beautiful it is. And a while back I was stunned at a moment where a casual conversation with a character about just ignoring your duty and doing something else turned into me wondering if I was saying the right things to this character and if I was giving good advice or merely setting them up for inevitable tragedy (I’m not trying to spoil the moment, but if you’ve played it I hope you can tell what I’m talking about). The game is just so good at creating moral dilemmas like that. My GOTY no doubt, and there has been SO MUCH good stuff released this year (Ori and the Blind Forest, Undertale, Life is Strange…)

42. Cloudiest Nights says:

I found a copy of Alpha Centauri in my local et cetera shop for 2 bucks so I’ll most likely try that. Runs well on Windows 10, too!

I’m also really stoked since it came in the original packaging with the guide, an advertisement for Sim City 300, and the original tech tree poster in amazing condition.

43. ffordesoon says:

Fallout 4, obv. I realize it’s fashionable at the moment to bash it, but I’m loving it so far, and find most of the complaints other people have boil down to “I want this game to be something it’s not.” Also, I have no idea how I’ve managed to avoid all these bugs everyone crows about. I know they exist, but BGS must have a QA tester who plays these games exactly like me, because I very rarely hit any of them myself.

Also, protip? Use a gamepad. It’s what the game’s designed for, we all know that. Why fight it? The experience is damn smooth on my Xbox One controller, and the shooting actually feels pretty great on it. I expect the 9s and 10s the RPS hivemind wondered at a few articles back are the result of playing it on a gamepad, because it’s the smoothest interface BGS has ever designed on a controller.

‘Nother protip? When you need help, consult the “Help” menu. I’d’ve thought this would be obvious, but I guess people are put off even by in-game manuals these days, or something? I don’t get that, but whatever.

BACK TO THE WASTELAAAAAAND!

44. malkav11 says:

Don’t own Fallout 4, I’m afraid. I’ll be trying to hold off until I’ve finished at least Fallout 3 or New Vegas, one or the other, if not both. (I’ve played them, but never completed them nor do I still have those saves.) So of course I probably won’t play either of those this weekend. I probably should play the final episodes of Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands, both of which I was quite excited about right until they came out and then I promptly left for two weeks and haven’t been in the mood since. So maybe not those either, I dunno.

I’d like to try the new SWTOR Fallen Empire stuff, but I didn’t get any characters to 60 beforehand (or indeed, through Rise of the Hutt Cartel) and my subscription has lapsed so I can’t access that without resubscribing anyway. Might still work on my Sith Sorceror’s class story, I suppose.

The main agenda item is Dragon Age: Inquisition. I think it may be time to finally get to that Orlesian ball that I’ve been putting off in order to faff around clearing out every zone on the map. But I haven’t cleared every zone yet…

• Philopoemen says:

As a SWTOR subscriber you can use the Free level 60 character (now they fixed it) to jump straight into KOTFE if you so desire. To be honest though, there’s no rush – unless you want to grind for gear.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, but I’d have to subscribe again. And like you say, there’s no rush. The story’s the draw so I don’t really want to skip any of it.

45. raiders says:

FALLOUT 4! (mic drop)

46. brucethemoose says:

I’m probably the only person in the world who’s waiting to play Fallout 4.

I can afford it, and I want to play it… but for once, I want a 1st time Bethesda RPG playthrough WITH all the mods I love. I’m gonna wait 6-12 months while the big mods are baking in the oven, then get a new graphics card with lots of HBM and mod the engine to the edge of stability.

zinzan says:

THIS, yup,

ermm playing – Combat Mission x2 (Normandy & Italy) and the social media fest that is Facebook chats, forum updates – how come no-one on?

Have a safe weekend everyone, esp anyone who is in or has “dependants/friends/loved ones” in Paris.

teije says:

The Long Dark. Wonderful atmosphere. Surviving 10 days felt like a real accomplishment. The model of what a great early access game should be.

48. Josh W says:

It turns out both xcom+marathon and xenonauts are long, so I will probably be playing the two of them for the next month, although I’ll probably spend the rest of the weekend playing boardgames.

49. simontifik says:

Last week I picked up a cheap second hand iPad. So I will be playing some Shadowrun Returns while kicking back in bed!

I’ve been presently surprised by the range of games on iOS these days. Looking forward to trying 80 Days, Baldurs Gate and maybe even the iOS port of HOMAM3 HD.