Pillars of Eternity: White March – Part 2 Coming January

Lawks a lummy, I swear everything’s episodic today! I tell you, not one word of a lie, I bought a Bounty bar the other day only to find even they’re now episodic – one half (Bounty: Episode 2) comes in a tough photodegrading wrapper so it cannot be eaten until a couple of months after you first open the wrapper. In this topsy-turvy world, it’s perfectly natural that video game expansions should be episodic too. Pillars of Eternity [official site] was partially expanded in August with The White March – Part 1, and today developers Obsidian have announced Part 2 will arrive in late January 2016.

“There’s a good couple of days’ play here,” our John said telling us Wot He Thought of Part 1, “and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with any of it.” It was unremarkable, in short, more Pillars of Eternity, which I suppose is dandy if that’s what you want.

“But Alice,” you whine like a hungry dog, “what ever will Part 2 bring?” Here’s what Obsidian have to say:

“The White March – Part 2 adds new content to the Pillars of Eternity universe, including new quests, new abilities, and a new companion: Meneha, the Barbarian. The expansion also offers players a higher level cap, and the new “Story Time” mode, letting players experience the incredible narrative of Pillars of Eternity at a faster pace.”

I just want the other half of my Bounty.

[Note for our chums in the US: Bounty is a lot like Mounds, only because it’s not made with American ‘chocolate’ it tastes a lot less like the manufacturers hate you.]

1. Erlend M says:

If that “story time” mode has anything to do with reducing the number of trash mobs, I’m all for it. I’m playing PoE these days, and it’s really quite good, but the number of easy but time-consuming fights is starting to grate.

Aerothorn says:

Given that this is the primary complaint I hear about the game, I’m almost certain that’s it.

I actually was quite happy with the fights, but it had also been very long since I played a game like this, so i can see why some tired of them.

• Viral Frog says:

I too am content with the number of encounters. But then again, once I beat this game, I will never play through it again (other than the expansion content, that is). For people that like to replay games and try different combos, I can see how the encounters could become redundant.

• Stellar Duck says:

The dungeon design in the last bit of White March Part 1 was so enormously frustrating though. So many mobs and some rebalance at some point has made my party wobly as hell and I can’t seem to find the reason and these particular mobs took me forever to grind down, along with plenty of party wipes.

I know that it’s partly my own fault for not having started a new game after 2.0 but I can’t be bothered to play it again already and on the flipside, I’m still trying to relearn the game. My party was built around Eder and the PC pulling mobs and the rest of the team either taking out casters or running flanking duties.

Now I can’t reliably hold mobs and half the time they go straight for my caster and buffer and I can’t be arsed to sort out why.

• DrGonzo says:

I really enjoyed the plot for a while, but burned out on killing pointless enemies. It’s a shame they improved on the past games in so many ways but still kept boring combat in there. Age of Decadence did it right imo and is well worth checking out.

2. Scrote says:

a lot like less the manufacturers hate you?

a lot less like?

a less lot like?

a like loss lot?

3. hawken.grey says:

I played PoE back when it came out, and really enjoyed it for a while, but eventually got bogged down in all the running back and forth and load screens. The difficulty was a bit all over the map also, in my opinion – either too easy or too hard. Part of this was the open nature of the map, and part of it was just bad balancing (I thought at the time).

Then I went back recently and played Divinity original sin again. I’d also given up on that game half way through, for different reasons, but now I’m enjoying the enhanced edition.

This got me to reflect on what I liked in each game and what I felt were weaknesses. Definitely, in this day and age, I’m tired of excessive load screens. There was once a time when I sat and waited for each new area to load up off a damn floppy disk (yes, I’m that old), but that time is gone. DDOS is a great showcase for seamless, high fidelity graphics with minimal loadtimes. The effect on immersion is great.

On the other hand, the more serious mood, dice rolling, old school DnD feel of Pillars really appealed to me. But balance and pacing were real problems I think. If they take the series further, I hope the developers would adopt a better, streaming engine, and then refine the balance and pacing of the game, while keeping the mood and tone that they already have.