Stellaris Dev Diary Explains Galaxy Making And Modding

I said when it started that the Stellaris [official site] developer diary would be interesting, and here we go. The latest update – the third overall – is about galaxy generation, what options it presents to players, and what they expect modders will do with the system post-release.

Your generated galaxies can “range from 200 – 1000” stars and can be made in a “spiral, elliptical and ring” formation. I quite like the idea of playing with a ring galaxy and trying to form defined frontlines with neighbouring AIs. Once you’ve made your decisions, the game handles the rest, generating a galaxy of randomly positioned stars, planets, space debris and other interstellar phenomena:

One of these are nebulas. Nebulas are visible on the galaxy map and often contain a bunch of interesting star systems with special rare resources. In a nebula you can expect to encounter some special events and experience certain penalties and bonuses that may impact your decisions when it comes to colonization and fleet movement.

It sounds as if every part of this will be exposed to modders to meddle with after the game is out, including the available galaxy shapes and which “initializers” – starting settings for players – are activated depending on the galaxy you create and the race you choose to play.

This is the kind of thing I was expecting to hear about after reading Adam’s Stellaris preview at Gamescom, but I’m susprised by how pretty the two screenshots in the above linked dev diary are. I don’t normally associate Paradox 4X games with lovely soft lighting.

1. fylth says:

This isn’t the latest update, the latest is , you’re a touch behind

• fylth says:

Wow, I totally forgot how to HTML, should say “…the latest is number 9, you’re a touch behind”. No edit button?

• Zephro says:

Yeah the post date of 3 is the beginning of October, just logged in to post the same link.

• BTAxis says:

Maybe Graham actually submitted this post in October and the RPS blog is just really slow?

• mike2R says:

Hmm, the first link goes to one of his own stories talking about the first developer diary. That story was posted November 3rd…

While I’m sure you are correct, and this is just a technical error like wot could happen to anyone, it does leave open the question of where he got his time machine from.

• Golwar says:

RPS is just way behind with those diaries. November 3rd Graham wrote “and now there’s going to be weekly updates”, as if there hadn’t been 6 entries already back then.

Seems they didn’t notice the Stellaris diaries first and now they’ll run with their “oh see, that’s new” agenda. Kind of crazy, but if it makes them happy …

2. ribby says:

This was uploaded ages ago (October 5th). Perhaps you thought it was the most recent one because someone commented on it more recently.

You’ve got a lot of good stuff to get through

3. schlusenbach says:

Here’s the dev diary Archive with all nine posts.

teije says:

Based on the dev diaries this is shaping up to be an awesome, very moddable, game that does new stuff for grand strategy in space. I’m very excited. I do expect it to be a rocky at launch with bugs and balancing issues, but over time I’m fearlessly predicting it will be viewed as a gem of a timesink like EUIV or CKII.

5. Blastaz says:

Graham are you ok?

Everyone pointed out how you had jumped in two months late and there was a big juicy stack of Dev diaries all ready to be dipped into.

It was one thing to chin off the correction, it’s quite another to now post something from early October to maintain the chronological truthfulness of your head cannon!

Keep on plugging Stellaris though, Paradox are the best.

• Rizlar says:

Maybe RPS’s editor-in-chief has been kidnapped and replaced by a bonkers robot. Or maybe I’ve just been playing too much Fallout 4…

6. brucethemoose says:

How far away is this game? I need to know what date to set my time machine to.

7. ribby says:

I think he just keeps checking the forum and posting whenever he sees one at the top of the forum list

• Molay says:

This seems to be the best way to do it, as weekly diaries are very unpredictable and hard to catch if you’re not constantly checking for them.
      I wish there was a set day of the week for them, and perhaps another post that acts like an index of all diaries so far. That would help a lot!
      In the meantime, let’s just keep checking the forum every so often and hope that a diary is on top of the list.

8. Munin says:

I wonder if all the nice visuals will end up like geographic map mode in the CK, EU etc games. Always used in all the Paradox screenshots whilst everyone plays using political…

9. Thurgret says:

An editorial reply to the commentary here will presumably appear in six weeks? This is certainly one of the stranger things I’ve seen on RPS.