How Is Assassin’s Creed Syndicate’s PC Port?

Review code for the PC version of Assassin’s Creed Syndicate [official site] activated this evening and I’ve spent the hours since playing through the opening sections and fiddling with various settings to see how it all holds together. In short, it runs beautifully and looks a treat. Details and early thoughts about my trip to the Big Smoke are below.

My favourite thing about the game so far is the way that the subtitles occasionally provide a translation for a bit of British slang. “Don’t lose your bottle, boys”, a guard yells. The subtitles provide an assist for anyone who might justifiably be confused about these thugs and their attachment to blown glass. “Don’t lose your bottle (nerve), boys” is printed across the screen. I think Ubisoft should have taken this further. “Don’t lose your bottle (nerve), boys (fully grown adult men)”.

That the slang translations are my favourite thing is not intended as a slur on the rest of the game though, I’m just odd like that. While it’s not quite as much of a breath of fresh sea breeze as Black Flag, this is far and away the most I’ve enjoyed any other Assassin’s Creed game. There’s less clutter, and both the sneaking and the combat are much improved. So far, and it is very early days, there are not only plenty of things that I want to do, but I’m actually having fun while doing those things. That’s a change of both pace and execution given my experiences with all of the Assassin’s Creed 2s and the brief time I spent with Unity.

And it looks great. I’ve found the extremely stylised steampunky London hilarious in some of the pre-release footage and marketing, and not always in a good way, but in-game it’s delightful. The city and the people in it feel like a sort of West World Victorian England, a theme park take on the period rather than an attempt to capture anything real. It’s silly and colourful – packed with smokestacks, stovepipe hats and screaming steam trains – and feels like the right setting for the silliness of the game itself.

During the tutorial missions, I was a little taken aback by the lack of response from bystanders as I hopped, skipped, jumped and clambered through the factories they were working in. Nobody seems at all startled by the appearance of one of the twin playable assassins suddenly leaping into view, or dropping from a rafter and landing right in their line of sight. Unless they’re guards, that is, in which case they start to chase and to hunt when you slip out of view.

That lack of sensible or appropriate response from civilians is a threat to the credibility of the entire world and no matter how impressive that world looks, it’s the sort of thing that can shatter the illusion. In fact, there’s an argument to be made that increased visual fidelity makes unconvincing behaviour even more jarring; if the city looks so real then unresponsive animatronic NPCs stand out like a sore thumb on an otherwise perfectly manicured hand.

Syndicate doesn’t look real though. It looks like an imaginary place, drawn from fiction rather than history, and the entire future-story framing device helps to support the idea that this is a game within a game. I’m not going to give the wider Templar vs Assassin plotline credit in any other way – the introduction, set in AC’s present day, registered as nothing more than a brief gobbet of gibberish – but as a device to summon up historical settings and treat them as playgrounds, it’s perfectly satisfactory.

I’m hoping that Syndicate recognises that and doesn’t interrupt my adventures in that playground too often.

Combat feels closer to the slick freeflow melee of Rocksteady’s Arkham games than it has previously, and while that might not be exciting in and of itself, getting into a scrap isn’t simply an annoyance. The animations, particularly for lady assassin Evie, are a satisfying blend of brutality and elegance, which helps. She controls and behaves as if she’s an accomplished brawler and killer rather than a person in a hood trying to punch through porridge.

The stealth side of things has some of the problems I’ve always associated with AC sneaking, prime among them being that it feels like the inferior option most of the time. Given that Jacob and Evie can slice through their opponents with grace, style and ease, skulking around in the shadows seems unnecessary. That the controls incline more toward free-running than creeping in cover only emphasises how cumbersome a reliance on stealth can be. Jacob and Evie always want to take flight, but getting them to stick to cover without waggling in and out of view is a chore.

At this point, I’m not sure whether I’m hoping for that side of the game to become more important as I progress, proving that it can be an accomplished part of the design, or hoping that I’ll never have it forced on me.

That said, I’ve spent my first few upgrade points on stealth abilities and now that my Eagle Eye allows me to tag enemies through walls, I’m having a better time of it. The weird non-reactive nature of NPCs is certainly more of an issue when sneaking about and causing chaos from rooftops though – people have a tendency to shrug and walk away from the chaos unless it’s striking them right in the jugular.

I’ll have a full review as soon as I’m done with the game and it is, of course, entirely possible that the open world will quickly become wearisome. This feels like a much cleaner Assassin’s Creed game though and one that will hopefully remain as light-hearted as its two leads have been so far. They’re enjoying life (and the taking of life), quipping as they go, and the game feels much less laboured and weighed down with distractions and diversions.

Structurally, I can’t judge it yet though. Only time will tell, and then so shall I.

On the technical side it’s been flawless so far. Maybe that staggered PC release was a damn fine idea after all? I’ve taken a couple of screenshots, showing the graphics menu and the HUD menu. The latter isn’t a technical thing, sure, but it’s pleasantly customisable should you want more of a challenge while exploring and hunting objectives.

I’m running on a GTX 960 and, as you can see in the screenshot, the game reckons my 2GB of memory won’t be up to the task running on high. That hasn’t been the case though – it looks great and is running at a steady 60FPS with no stuttering or slowdown. I’ve got 8GB of RAM and an i5-4690 running at 3.5GHz, and even when I can see a district stretching out in front of me, packed with guards and civilians, all is well. No FOV setting though and the view does feel awful cramped at times, particularly when perched on high for a spot of reconaissance. It’s odd and a little frustrating that one of the series’ trademarks is hampered by the lack of an option to show more of the world at any one time.

I’ve tried running on Ultra High settings as well, at which point the menu screen splutters along at just under 10 frames per second but the game itself is still a fairly even 30, though with barely tolerable stuttering when large areas of a borough are being rendered. Nothing about the look of the game on those ultra settings makes me particularly hungry for them though – it’s noticeably prettier, but I don’t feel like I’m missing out.

No glitches yet, though. Again, this is all early days but the port certainly isn’t an omnishambles. And, so far, the game is extremely promising to boot. It’s not a revolution by any means and if you’ve played an Assassin’s Creed game before, I’m not sure it’s going to surprise. It’s probably fair to say it’s unlikely to convert anyone who has played one of the series before and hasn’t found anything to like, but if this is as lean and efficient a take on the formula as these first hours suggest, it might be a winner for the rest of us.

Back to London for me now. Here’s hoping I’m this happy thirty hours down the line.

1. ChairmanYang says:

It’s interesting how Syndicate has been received so much better than Unity despite not seeming all that much better on paper. Mission design, pacing, writing quality: these are all hard to convey in previews and screenshots, but they make the difference between a great game and a horrible one.

• Gunrun says:

Consolefriends have told me there are very few “tail a person while listening to them speak” missions, and that overall the missions are better, and there is much less icon vomit.
      If you’ve played Assassins Creed Unity at all you know what I mean by that, but if not, well, in Unity when you mapped an area that map would be totally coated in hundreds of tiny icons all indicating something to do, which was overwhelming and depressing.

• Bluestormzion says:

Don’t forget; you get hundreds of Icons vommitted at you in Unity, and you spend seven hours cleaning up all those icons… And then you see that you’re still missing 6 collectibles and 1 mission in that district, and now you either have to scour it manually or buy a DLC map to reveal the last couple hidden ones.

Unity learned from that mistake, and gave everyone enough Realmoney Credit to get all those maps without having to spend any real Realmoney, eventually. I believe that they learned from that mistake, and did not include a Realmoney Bullshit System here.

2. Gunrun says:

I’ve heard tell from people that turning PCSS shadows off (ie setting shadows to High), and not using HBAO+ (Ultra), is a good idea as even on top end cards these settings murder your framerate.
    After that AA is your next big framerate killer.

How does Adam Smith’s GTX 970 only have 2GB of ram? I thought they all had 4?

Adam Smith says:

Oops! 960. Finger slipped as I was writing that. Fixed

• ButteringSundays says:

I’m not a graphics card buff but I do own the 960 (evga superclocked to be specific) and it is indeed 2gb.

Great buy that card, been a few years now and there’s still not much it struggles with (at least in my collection). It’s still not quite cheap enough to pick up a second for sli though – have a feeling my next upgrade will just be a new card.

• deviltaz44 says:

Do you mean 690? the 960 hasn’t been out for a few years.
          690 was the dual GPU basically downlocked dual 680’s.

• Goodtwist says:

For the sake of completeness the 970 has 3,5 GB RAM :p

ErraticGamer says:

Thank you for the tip! I’ve been pleased with my PC performance, but setting Shadows to High instead of PCSS took the occasional frame hiccups and pretty much totally eliminated them, and it still looks plenty good to my eyes.

What a gorgeous, tightly-running game. What a change from Unity.

3. Thurgret says:

I thought Unity was pretty good, and I’m not usually a fan of Assassin’s Creed games. It does seem from this, though, that NPC reactions have taken a step backwards? Hopping around like a lunatic in Unity would at least draw commentary from a few people, and starting a fight could often send assorted bystanders running for safety.

Adam Smith says:

They comment and cower – it’s the fact they fail to raise the alarm that I find a bit disconcerting. I’ve had people run away from a body I’ve dropped in front of the, panicking, and everyone seems to ignore that unless they can see the body for themselves.

4. Milincho says:

“it looks great and is running at a steady 60FPS with no stuttering or slowdown.”… on a 960 you say.

Meanwhile in the real world there is people complaining of being unable to reach 60fps on Titan X’s SLI and everybody (except you and other reviewers) is having, precisely, constant stuttering and slowdowns…

• Sakkura says:

SLI is often a stumbling block around release.

Adam Smith says:

I’m running on ‘high’ settings – that might make all the difference. Haven’t had any issues at all in nearly five hours of play. Turn it up to very high or ultra and it’s a different story, as mentioned in the article.

• welverin says:

What resolution are you running at?

• deviltaz44 says:

They would be running 1080p. You wouldn’t try to go beyond that with a 2GB 960.

• Uhuru N'Uru says:

So why do you say, “In short, it runs beautifully and looks a treat.”

When you have to reduce the settings, it’s not running beautifully at all.
        “It’s running OK on High but, not on Ultra”. should be what you wrote in the article.
        Not the damn comments.

In reality, reviews can’t be relied on, regardless of their honesty.
        Simply because, for any statistic to be useful, many samples must be provided.
        Generally reviewers have high powered gaming PC’s, to avoid these sorts of issues from affecting them at all.

So never rely on reviews to answer the question, “Is it any good, running on PC’s like mine?”.
        Only once enough PC’s are available, with the full range of hardware, can meaningful answers be given.
        That only happens when the games released.

• ChairmanYang says:

I mean, you’re basically arguing for PC game developers to not offer settings that strain video cards. Would you be happier if the Ultra/Very High settings were completely removed? Then you could max out the game and run it well on a 960!

• scannerbarkly says:

They did write it in the comments, they detailed what it was like with settings on High, then they detailed what it was like with settings on Ultra.

• DrollRemark says:

You know that a game can look pretty without running at its highest settings, right?

• deviltaz44 says:

I am pretty sure it is what they mentioned in this preview too. They said they didn’t really miss the higher settings even though it looked prettier.
            It doesn’t bother some people.
            I prefer to game in 1440p with a single card even if i have to turn some settings down. A 980ti will run Witcher 3 @ 60 fps almost maxed out in 1440p with slightly reduced hairworks settings and that’s plenty good enough for me.
            Add in Gsync and it’s always smooth. You can use Gsync effectively with a 960 as well which could be an option if someone is after a new monitor rather than a new graphics card.

• deviltaz44 says:

Most reviewers tend to have a GTX 780ti or 970 which is not high end for these days. It is compared to a 960 though i guess.

• egattocs says:

“When you have to reduce the settings, it’s not running beautifully at all”?
          I feel that’s a very odd thing to say. Just because a PC can’t reach the Ultra settings (and I’d imagine the majority can’t as Ultra is generally considered to be to an extreme degree) doesn’t mean the game isn’t running beautifully on it.

I’ve never felt that I need a settings menu to tell me whether what I’m looking at is beautiful or not. If it looks good and is running smoothly, why does it matter what the settings say? Sure, it’s certainly worth looking at the settings and seeing if it can look even better without too much of a trade off in terms of performance, but as Adam mentioned: “Nothing about the look of the game on those ultra settings makes me particularly hungry for them though – it’s noticeably prettier, but I don’t feel like I’m missing out.”

He still felt it was beautiful, even though his settings were “only” on high. Personally, I will trust his eyes over expectation that smooth running and beauty is only possible on the highest possible settings.

• Urthman says:

In any sane world, not running a brand new game on the very highest settings would not be considered “reducing the settings.” I’d prefer developers including settings so high no hardware can run them yet as a promise the game had the potential to look even better in the future. If gamers demand to run games on the highest settings, this will just create a kind of grade inflation (yes, junior, in this game your computer gets an A+!) where developers handicap their games just so everyone can think they’re running it at the Very Highest Setttings.

• Elliot Lannigan says:

Oh no! Another ethics in games journalism scandal!

• TimePointFive says:

#yesallsystemrequirements

• Baines says:

Nah, the current ethics in gaming journalism scandal is the claim that EA bribed reddit mods to remove negative posts about Star Wars Battlefront, and complaints that many news sites decided to not carry the story.

For anyone curious, it later turned out that EA apparently wasn’t bribing reddit mods to remove negative posts. EA was bribing mods to delete posts that violated the Alpha’s NDA.

For anyone still curious, it wasn’t so much a “bribe”. It was a logical idea that just happens to look bad when brought to public attention. Or at least could be made to look bad with the right/wrong bias, and particularly if only part of the story came out (as actually happened.) Basically, EA gave the mods access to the alpha, presumably under the logical belief that said mods would be better able to judge NDA violations if they were actually able to play the game themselves.

• Monggerel says:

So… they implicated the mods in an NDA violation by making them complicit in an NDA violation that already existed outside of the mods’ responsibility?

That’s fucking brilliant.
          Marry me, EA. It is still not too late to spawn Satan into this pitiful Earth.

• Monggerel says:

*that first “implicated” should say “involved” instead, I think. I’m not english.

• iainl says:

Or, in other words, they gave the mods a reason to sign the NDA, and therefore had cause to go along with?

Sounds fair to me.

• deviltaz44 says:

I am confused why people are giving Rock Paper Shotgun a hard time on what is essentially just a preview based on a few hours.
      A 960 is a reasonable baseline to review the game on as alot of people would have cards of a similar performance level or less.

It’s great to see the game runs well on what would now be classes as mid range hardware for 1080p.

I haven’t received my code yet so i can’t even start downloading unfortunately.

• Sabbatai says:

Who exactly is, “everybody”?

I’m experiencing no stutter at all on a single 970. You act as though you believe the reviews are on the take or disingenuous in some way, then resort to hyperbole to support your own claims.

It is running great for me. Perhaps the issue with the Titans is not the game but SLI.

5. smisk says:

Good to know the port is much better than Unity, considering picking this up.
    Though I’ve only played AssCreed 2, I’ve never really felt like they’re stealth games, or that it’s even a viable option. Sure, there were some brief stealth sections, but I spent the majority of the game stabbing guards then climbing up buildings when I got outnumbered.

• Cryio says:

Why have you played only AC2? All the AC games are marvelous. AC3 and Rogue particularly. Not sarcastic. I’ve heard people like Black Flag quite a lot too.

• iainl says:

If you’re tempted, I would kind of recommend picking up Black Flag for the moment. It may not be quite as pretty as this, but it’s still very pretty indeed, has some lovely Pirate Ship stuff in it, and is regularly a pittance in sales.

6. ulix says:

V-Sync isn’t working at all for me. Neither the ingame options, nor forcing it through the nVidia-Control-Panel.

And the screen-tearing is really pretty bad.

• TimePointFive says:

try going windowed borderless and get rivatuner or something to set your max fps to what you want. I haven’t used vsync in any game since.

• iainl says:

Windowed borderless always seems to end up with me having the taskbar overlaid on the screen, whenever I use it. Is there an easy way round that?

• drinniol says:

You might have some luck with windowsborderlessgaming. It doesn’t always work. link to westechsolutions.net

Qazinsky says:

Have you tried hiding the taskbar? Right click the taskbar and choose the line at the bottom (I assume it says Properties or Settings, my Windows is not English) and there should be a checkbox to hide it.

• deviltaz44 says:

That sux , hopefully it is fixed or a solution is found.
      I actually got so sick of Vsync issues i went out and bought a Gsync display. Best decision ever.

7. Laurentius says:

So how is lore on this one. It would be so cool if all England modern history was presented as Templars wrong doing Europe and the rest of the world.

basilisk says:

Actually, the option to turn off all individual parts of the HUD has been in every game in the series from the very first one onwards.

Anyway, good to hear the performance is better. I’ve always had a nagging suspicion that Unity’s woes were at least in part caused by the multiplayer component; perhaps they actually were.

• TimePointFive says:

Which was fantastic (at least the co-op). It’s sad that Unity was released in the state it was. For me it ran beautifully and was hour for hour the most best goodest AC to date. The customization options (both cosmetic and strategic), the location (and time), and the crowds!!! Also it somehow nuked my 670… Still, good game.

9. int says:

So the version for Pistol and Shooter ain’t gone all Pete Tong then?

10. DrollRemark says:

I presume there must be someone out there who really digs the future stories in these games, and the overarching plotlines? Because they still seem to insist on them, and the last game I played (Black Flag) was full of throwbacks to the first game, and probably others that I didn’t recognise. But I just didn’t care – it felt like it was trying to be too mysterious without actually making anything understandable.

It’s just that every time I read reviews or articles (or comments) about AC that mention the overall story, it’s almost always along the lines of “Oh, just ignore all that nonsense.” Yet a game like Dark Souls, or HL2, gets plaudits for knowing how to carefully garnish a world with lore that’s suprisingly well-though out, and not in your face. There’s an interesting article to be written in comparing the two, I reckon.

• padger says:

>I presume there must be someone out there who really digs the future stories in these games, and the overarching plotlines?

They are universally loathed by all humanity.

This is the one objective truth of gaming.

basilisk says:

As a matter of fact, yes. I enjoy how deliberately silly it all is; the whole Erich von Däniken meets Dan Brown cheesiness is fun and it’s a great excuse to twist the history around to suit their needs.

But I will acknowledge that ever since they’ve wrapped up the Desmond story, the present-day story has been just aimlessly drifting around. It was almost completely removed from Unity, and what little was left was utterly pointless. And I mean that quite literally – at the end of Unity, nothing is lost, nothing is gained and the modern story hasn’t progressed a single inch.

So in other words, yes, I like the overarching plot, but it should either be done properly or not at all. Just like so many things about the series, it’s now stuck halfway between the two and shuffles back and forth without any clear vision other than “respond to whatever the internet has been shouting lately”.

• deviltaz44 says:

I am a sucker for them personally. Just love the whole effort put into these games as far as detail in the story goes.

11. deviltaz44 says:

Thanks for this preview, looking forward to trying the game on my overclocked 980ti. At least it runs better than Unity that is definately a plus.

12. JiminyJickers says:

Shame, I should have waited for the PC version. I was weary after Unity running so poorly that I grabbed this on the PS4. Very much enjoyed the game.

• deviltaz44 says:

You have the advantage of the 10 extra missions on Ps4 that are a timed exclusive though. That was really annoying they did that.

• iainl says:

Well if you look at it that way, all of the missions were a timed exclusive for console, really. And yet we survive.

• JiminyJickers says:

Oh yes, I was annoyed that there were timed exclusives, even though I got it from release. I really enjoyed those 10 missions too.

13. KenTWOu says:

…skulking around in the shadows seems unnecessary.

The game doesn’t have shadow based stealth anyway.

14. Eight Rooks says:

I’m pleased it’s far from Arkham Knight (seriously, I was genuinely curious to see if it would be, that’s partly why I clicked), but… nope, still not for me. Smaller crowds, far sillier world design, poor characters, writing, voice-acting… every time I see people praising Syndicate I just… something inside me goes into full-on ETHICS IN GAMING JOURNALISM mode, almost.

I’ve seen videos of the fighting animations; they’re awful. Weightless, floaty, they go on for far too long. Unity was beautifully animated and savage enough I still winced even after I’d slaughtered thousands of anonymous guards. Taking out the crowds to appease the ranting internet mobs who demand flawless 60FPS or DEATH is just… I weep, really I do. Unity was plainly not something you’d cite in your university history dissertation but it didn’t feel like some frenzied, giggling fever dream of Paris either, and I was fine with that. And every trailer for Syndicate had me cringing (“CLASS WAR! STICK IT TO THE MAN! OCCUPY FLEET STREET!” et al), particularly when that historian pointed out that actually people at that point would have been far more about getting rich at all costs. I haven’t seen a thing in the PR that had me more than slightly interested in any of the story.

It’s not meant as just empty moaning. I bought Unity on the offchance, it ran flawlessly on day one other than a few minor glitches, and I loved it. One of my favourite games of the year. Then I watched in horror as most of the internet started laying into it as if Bobby Kotick had just bought out Ubisoft. Then I watched as Dead Kings came out, it was awful, and everyone said “This is what Unity should have been”. Now everyone’s praising Syndicate for stuff Unity either already did far better or didn’t need to do in the first place. It feels bizarre, and it… honestly kind of hurts. One of my favourite franchises mangled in response to a whole lot of nonsense. :( Oh well.

• jonahcutter says:

“I’ve seen videos of the fighting animations; they’re awful. Weightless, floaty, they go on for far too long”

I noticed that about the combat animations too, from various LPs. The animations seem an overly long series of frenetic slashing, stabbing and generally overblown body movements. Yet they also seem to lack any solid feel, nor elicit a feel of violent action. It’s very, very cartoony and quickly became rather obnoxious. It turned me right off to the idea of watching them go on for hours at end.

Mad Max did a more grounded, non-superhero version of the Arkham combat so much better. Clear and specific animations. Solid and weighty feel. Brutally clear finishes.

15. fish99 says:

Just finished the first 2 tutorial missions and reached the open city. I’m on a GTX 970 / 3570K / 12GB and there was definitely some nasty stuttering/fps drops on the 2nd tutorial level and in some of the cut scenes, although at other times it was smooth as butter.

Gonna have a play with settings to see what can be achieved, and put the new nvidia drivers on. I don’t care about PCSS or TXAA.

• fish99 says:

Right, updated to new nVidia drivers, turned shadows to high (PCSS off), put AA on 2xMSAA+FSAA, and now everything is dandy. Environment on very high. Played about 4 hrs with fraps running and it was mostly 55-60fps.

Fun game, immensely silly, and the controls are still clunky, but it’s fun. Very nice looking depiction of Victorian London too.

16. Minglefingler says:

I’m seeing a lot of texture pop in and had to reduce my settings to high to avoid some some fairly noticeable stutter, I had environment detail at very high,fxaa and ssao were and still are enabled and shadows have been turned down to high from pcss. My frame rate sits around 59 now, it’s dropped as low as 53 since reducing the environment detail. but no lower. I also had a glitch in a cut scene where a character turned invisible and started moving a box around. It’s odd that I’m getting a worse frame rate than Adam when I have the same processor and a 970 rather than a 960.

17. RegisteredUser says:

Here is what I need to know: For someone who really liked Mordor, but absolutely hates the crap out of the AC series(compared to Mordor: simplistic combat, the worst plot, many horrible initial FORCED handholding hours in each game, unskippable things, annoying interfaces and menues and inventory management, much more obtuse discovery point map exploration logic etc etc etc), is AC:Syndicate a game that will make it different enough to bother trying this atrocious game series again?

IJC says:

Coming from someone who rather likes the series (and Mordor):
      Combat is pretty similar to mordor/arkham now, with timed counters and stuns. There are almost no combos, however.
      THe plot seems silly as ever (about 4/9? sequences in) but more on the funny side (it actually is rather amusing most of the time)
      Hand holding is much better. Yu get two “Tutorial” Missions but afterwards you start in open London. Definitely still Handholding present, but less than ever.
      I don’t think the interface/menu changed much since the last games.
      Inventory management is down a notch: there are three different weapon categories plus one different piece of clothing for each twin which you can upgrade(buy/craft/mission reward) as you level up.
      The thing closest to Mordor is propably stealth, which is not on Mordor’s niveau, but close.

I don’t think it is really for you, but that might depend on which AC you played before. Which one was it, if I may ask?

• RegisteredUser says:

I’ve tried the very first AC, AC2(the italian one with Enzo) and Black Flag(secretly hoping it would be pirate-y, instead the ship combat was analogue stick acrobatics and the cities were just the same as any AC, but with an island/period theme). So far the trouble has been that all AC have just been reskins of pretty much 1:1 the same concept and since things that make games fun for me are true rapid and free movement(Prototype is the best example, then mayyybe Just Cause with the hook used 24/7) and decent combat(Mordor imo was 99% centered around the mass slaughter of Orcs, just mixed with a touch of sneaking in to sneakslaughter 2-3 first before mass assaulting). AC in all iterations I saw failed horribly at making either moving around(climbing takes forever, esp. for survey towers) or combat(press counter once to win!) in any way fun or interesting.

IJC says:

Syndicate actually has a grappling hook/zipline thingy and horse carriages, both making the free running faster. It still is lacking compared to prototype/Just Cause 2 though.
          I don’t think you’ll like Syndicate, but if you wanted to try an AC Game you would propably hate this one the least :).

18. Slackar says:

Is texture pop-in an issue in Syndicate? I’ve played Unity (on PC) a few months ago with the latest patches, and it still wasn’t fixed there.

• Slackar says:

In particular (but not limited to) the clothes on NPCs that would magically change as you got slightly closer to them. That was incredibly distracting.